The Rumour Thread

8 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it helps indeed to bring players into AoS as there's many studies about picking races in videogames where human is always the most appealing as we feel closer to them, but the price increasing over and over yearly would always be a problem to bring new players, imo.

I mean with how hard to paint the miniatures and it looking like an intermidated army, I doubt newbies will start city over say Stormcast or easier contrast armies like Nighthaunt

it like when LRL army was release and everyone though they be the new poster boy faction and that they would blow up the AoS scene but reality they just ended up in the middling pack of other armies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I reckon the Cities army box will be next week's announcement.

That leaked image has gotta be from some influencer who was sent the box early, so GW can get all the painted models ready to show off for the release week after next. 

Only going off previous examples, as gearing up to releases we always see the community painted article on release week, and most influencers models tend to be rushed (not saying bad, but often it seems GW only give short notice/deadline to paint up new models), so I reckon GW have sent all the review copies now ready for the release week after next.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

I reckon the Cities army box will be next week's announcement.

That leaked image has gotta be from some influencer who was sent the box early, so GW can get all the painted models ready to show off for the release week after next. 

Only going off previous examples, as gearing up to releases we always see the community painted article on release week, and most influencers models tend to be rushed (not saying bad, but often it seems GW only give short notice/deadline to paint up new models), so I reckon GW have sent all the review copies now ready for the release week after next.

Next week is most likely HH Epic because that one has the most concrete timeline of being release this month. It may even be those two week preorder release deals for launch set.

and once again they haven’t reveal everything so it won’t be release until their marketing schedule is finish regardless of leaks.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, novakai said:

Next week is most likely HH Epic because that one has the most concrete timeline of being release this month. It may even be those two week preorder release deals for launch set.

If I'm being honest, I think August is going to primarely be the HH Epic month. Feeling like the month is going to be very calm except for that, with a bunch of small scale releases...

I could see Cities army box not earlier than mid August. I think September will be very 40k heavy with both Space Marines & Tyranids codexs launching with their full respective waves. I think Dawnbringers 2 will be October - along with the Cities release proper.

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Chikout said:

I'm definitely at the point where the wait for news has become a touch frustrating. The gap between reveal and release for cities has been almost as long as it was for sisters and we've had about half the number of articles. There hasn't been a single lore article yet. They could easily have done one for each of the cities. I'm ready to see a contents page and even a blurry pic or two though I normally don't like leaks. 

That's not fair, imo.

We got five short stories. Dawnbringers campaign is literally all about CoS, some CoS flavour on Hammer an Bolter an lore hints on the different reveal articles...

It looks quite well prepared for me.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Back to the earlier theory of a final reveal at Nova unless the leaker forces GW's hand. 

Leaks force GW to reveal things earlier but it would not force them to release things earlier as these are determined way in advances with only few things that can be plug and chug if something goes wrong.

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

That's not fair, imo.

We got five short stories. Dawnbringers campaign is literally all about CoS, some CoS flavour on Hammer an Bolter an lore hints on the different reveal articles...

It looks quite well prepared for me.

I mean thoose where about the Harbringer more then CoS

but then GW hasn’t been on point with their AoS Marketing for a while ( the last time their Marketing was on point was when GSG and OBR where release) it feel like most time these thing go over peoples heads or not as exciting to general audiences as when 40K does their stuff.

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

Back to the earlier theory of a final reveal at Nova unless the leaker forces GW's hand. 

If there are no leaks between now and then, this could be the planning for last reveals (according to 52 warscrolls) :

• 7 august: monday reveal
  • 21 august: monday reveal
  • 30-31 august (Nova Open): final reveal
  • 3 september : army set pre-order announcement
  • 9 september : army set pre-order
  • 16 september : army set release

The only thing that bothers me is that there's only one kit for Nova Open... we could imagine more things for such occasion (or maybe it's a big central piece in a final firework like... a giant reliquary ?). Unless, there are 54 warscrolls or bigger reveals planned in other GW's ranges (new space marines, TOW...).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Draznak said:

If there are no leaks between now and then, this could be the planning for last reveals (according to 52 warscrolls) :

• 7 august: monday reveal
  • 21 august: monday reveal
  • 30-31 august (Nova Open): final reveal
  • 3 september : army set pre-order announcement
  • 9 september : army set pre-order
  • 16 september : army set release

The only thing that bothers me is that there's only one kit for Nova Open... we could imagine more things for such occasion (or maybe it's a big central piece in a final firework like... a giant reliquary ?). Unless, there are 54 warscrolls or bigger reveals planned in other GW's ranges (new space marines, TOW...).

If they are mirroring the Leagues of Votann release with CoS. Then at last year NoVa , the only new model reveal was just the Hekaton Land fortress and Grimnyr for that preview. 

Also CoS is probably not the only AoS item for NoVa this year as we are expecting more reveals on the Dawnbringer narrative release especially since there two books being release in Autumn. That also not counting separate games like Warcry and Underworlds geting stuff too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hollow said:

I find it rather strange that there are people confused by the concept of not liking potato-cam pics from people breaking NDAs. I know that GW is a large company but some seem to forget that it is a company made up of people. Dozens of artists, sculptors, painters and designers will have worked on a project like this for weeks, months, or even years.

As a designer myself I would be incredibly disappointed to see a product that I and others had poured their heart and soul into be leaked online by someone breaking an NDA. The stuff is coming. I understand people are excited and want to see more, but patience is a virtue and being confused by someone wanting to see the reveals how the designers and company had originally planned is... well, confusing. 

As one of the confused people, here's a bit more context to that reaction.

I don't see how potato pics reduce in any way your enjoyment of the final reveal "in all its intented glory" on Warcom. Pics of minis are not a story that can be spoiled for you. If the leaks detract from that, than the only value of the "intended" way is the information itself and not any quality of the presentation. Which leads to my next reason to be confused: the intended way to be presented on Warcom has been for quite a while and for most releases (even important ones) a couple of pictures of the minis, with a notable absence of any "wow" (like an animated video with voiceover). Finally, leaks are pro-consumers, giving us advanced knowledge to make more informed choices so, under the conditions I just stated, I would always welcome them for my fellow hobbyists.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I don't see how potato pics reduce in any way your enjoyment of the final reveal "in all its intented glory" on Warcom. Pics of minis are not a story that can be spoiled for you. If the leaks detract from that, than the only value of the "intended" way is the information itself and not any quality of the presentation. Which leads to my next reason to be confused: the intended way to be presented on Warcom has been for quite a while and for most releases (even important ones) a couple of pictures of the minis, with a notable absence of any "wow" (like an animated video with voiceover). Finally, leaks are pro-consumers, giving us advanced knowledge to make more informed choices so, under the conditions I just stated, I would always welcome them for my fellow hobbyists.

Pro consumer maybe, but in leagues of vottan leaks case was probably lead to kneejerk reaction and then into day one patches before book games even got played lol

Generally I think a good chunk of  people don’t like spoilers and are just not caring of inform choices when playing a game that changes too much

Edited by novakai

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

I dont like potato pics for leaking new units. They destroy any kind of hype building. And as for revealing the leaked models, 1 blurry pic doesnt give me any wow moment. I rather see an announcement vid or high res pic.

New chimera (or any other CoS reveal) came out of nowhere and that was a fun moment. Cant picture me being being excited if i had been shown a blurry picture before.

I do like some leaked info on what the contents of a box are sometimes. Just to know if i should start saving some money.

Edit: Also dont think leaks are actually pro consumer. If GW shows us plans too far in advance things could get delayed or changed and people would freak out again. Im happy if they show stuff thats actually ready to be released.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

I don't see how potato pics reduce in any way your enjoyment of the final reveal "in all its intented glory" on Warcom

It's not just about "my enjoyment" it is respect for the dozens (if not more) designers, writers, sculptors and painters who have worked on the project. 

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

Pics of minis are not a story that can be spoiled for you

Again. I am not thinking about it in this way at all. "spoilers" for anything can easily be avoided. It is the designers that I feel for. Let the company follow its plan (then perhaps criticise that plan

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

Finally, leaks are pro-consumers

I couldn't disagree more. What is pro-consumer - GW entering into good faith NDA agreements with content creators in order for them to have early access to figures they can paint up and record batreps/reviews/tutorials with so that consumers have quality information regarding upcoming releases. 

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

I would always welcome them for my fellow hobbyists.

You welcome the breaking of good faith NDAs that fly in the face of planned release schedules? I don't. I think that is a pretty low thing to do TBH. I'd never break an NDA that I voluntarily entered into in order to have access to free product. As I know that in doing so, I would not only jeopardise my ability to maintain a healthy relationship with a company but could also potentially jeapordise other people's livelihoods. There is an entire sub-economy based around content creation for GW products. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, Hollow said:

It's not just about "my enjoyment" it is respect for the dozens (if not more) designers, writers, sculptors and painters who have worked on the project. 

I mean, virtually all products brought to the market by companies are made by some number of people, so this point is rather moot. The respect for their labour should come from the money the company pays them -which, in GW case is really not much. Additionally I find very hard to take seriously all these "feelings" in the context of a company which does not credit anyone. In the end we don't have the voice of this people so I don't find the whole argument very compelling as a negative of leaks. Maybe they are happy to see such an interest for their creation and all the chatter like it was some secret? We don't know.

42 minutes ago, Hollow said:

What is pro-consumer - GW entering into good faith NDA agreements with content creators in order for them to have early access to figures they can paint up and record batreps/reviews/tutorials with so that consumers have quality information regarding upcoming releases. 

Disagree. The relationship between GW and these content creators means that all their content is intrinsically strongly suspect for consumers, because the power is entirely in the hands of GW who can decide at a whim to whom grant access (and views, and money). The entire sub-economy you mention which is put at risk by leaks is the perfect proof of this: if this economy exists on the basis of early access alone, it means it's entirely dependent on the goodwill of GW and hence suspect. The potential of leaks forces creators to add some value that is not the access to information alone, so I find it also healthy.

As for the breaking of a contract between private parties in the context of a market exchange I am not particularly fazed by it or see it as a moral thing but this may vary depending on background, legal system and so on.

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I dont like potato pics for leaking new units. They destroy any kind of hype building.

I am torn on this one. If hype means anticipation then that’s sad. In any other case is hype a marketing tool to make you buy things you‘d not buy otherwise.

If the hype gets destroyed: I am all in for it. If your anticipation gets destroyed then that’s sad and I don’t really know why? Maybe it indicates that you‘d be better off not buying anything you‘d only buy due to hype. - That’s just a theory though ^_^

@Hollow As a 3D Generalist myself I don’t agree. one gets confirmation and appreciation on several levels: 

1. Your contractor/Boss/Team is pleased with your work

2. Comments of people liking your work

3. Seeing people use your work to have fun.

If a reveal of one’s labour is presented at a convention (and you‘re present as well - which usually isn’t the case for GW Designers) you‘d get appreciation by the cheering community. However, any kind of online reveal has no crowd. So 1 to 3 applies.

tldr: It doesn’t matter since the channels by which the Designers receive appreciation don’t change regardless of a leak or not. The only entity hurt is GW since they‘ll usually sell less due to less consumption by less hype-affected consumers (which imo is ultimately good)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Agreed with @Marcvs and @JackStreicher here. I would be very cautious about personalising corporate marketing strategies or making reactions to them solely about ‘the poor designers’.

Particularly when there’s a pretty sizeable stable of those designers (and authors, rules writers, staff, painters, and social media folks) who are pretty open about how badly GW treated them. Nothing GW does is out of the goodness of their heart and I’m confident the overwhelming majority of people working for them (now or in the past) are not as wrapped up in the constructed magic of the reveal and the hype machine as GW fans. It’s just marketing, at the end of the day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

57 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I am torn on this one. If hype means anticipation then that’s sad. In any other case is hype a marketing tool to make you buy things you‘d not buy otherwise.

If the hype gets destroyed: I am all in for it. If your anticipation gets destroyed then that’s sad and I don’t really know why? Maybe it indicates that you‘d be better off not buying anything you‘d only buy due to hype. - That’s just a theory though ^_^

I try not to overthink this time. I love the hobby and i love seeing new minis even if i dont collect the army. I rather see a nice reveal and some info on the mini than a potato pic. It just spoils the fun for me.

I try not to discuss GWs marketing strategies here. If i like a mini enough i will buy that mini. Not because of a warcom reveal page or a blurry picture. I know some people are easily influenced by marketing campaigns though. This is just my opinion.

9 hours ago, novakai said:

If they are mirroring the Leagues of Votann release with CoS. Then at last year NoVa , the only new model reveal was just the Hekaton Land fortress and Grimnyr for that preview. 

Also CoS is probably not the only AoS item for NoVa this year as we are expecting more reveals on the Dawnbringer narrative release especially since there two books being release in Autumn. That also not counting separate games like Warcry and Underworlds geting stuff too.

Not only that: there was Hekaton fortress, Grimnyr indeed, but also Ûthar the destined (an alternative build of the generic khal, admittedly), Einhyr champion, Brôkhyr iron-master, Cthonian Beserk Mole Grenade Launcher. As well as the army set and the codex cover. That was a lot of stuff in one go.

But I agree that you're going to have to insert things from the Dawnbringers II and III books, even if they're just characters (maybe a surprise unit like the ardboyz ?).

Anyway, there should only be a month and a half maximum left : 1) before we know everything about the new COS units, 2) to hold army set in our hands.
After almost a year and a half of waiting, another 5/6 weeks will be bearable (but always frustrating at the same time ^^).

8 minutes ago, Draznak said:

Anyway, there should only be a month and a half maximum left : 1) before we know everything about the new COS units, 2) to hold army set in our hands.
After almost a year and a half of waiting, another 5/6 weeks will be bearable (but always frustrating at the same time ^^).

The exceptionally long pre-release period has definitely not helped me build hype for the cities release (although I am excited for it).

Looking back, I really wonder why they decided to announce it so early just to basically show us nothing about it for 12 months.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Agreed with @Marcvs and @JackStreicher here. I would be very cautious about personalising corporate marketing strategies or making reactions to them solely about ‘the poor designers’.

Particularly when there’s a pretty sizeable stable of those designers (and authors, rules writers, staff, painters, and social media folks) who are pretty open about how badly GW treated them. Nothing GW does is out of the goodness of their heart and I’m confident the overwhelming majority of people working for them (now or in the past) are not as wrapped up in the constructed magic of the reveal and the hype machine as GW fans. It’s just marketing, at the end of the day.

Exactly.

I've never ever felt like my work has been tarnished because someone has leaked it. The opposite, in fact, if people are so excited about something I've done they couldn't contain themselves I'd be both flattered and proud. Same thing is when I've seen people copy me. It is the way of design or art... And business.

Also (to echo your sentiment), no one here should ever worry about the designers and artists because of leaks. That's just a narrative that's designed by to shield the company. Whenever a large company start to talk getting all gushy over their fans you'll just know what's around the corner. In GW's case it is always another unfortunately price hike to bump up them quarterly numbers.

So don't worry, the designers/artists are already getting paid. Put pressure on GW to treat them better/pay more instead of trying to blame "toxic fans" or <insert whoever you want to misdirect blame to here>.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4