The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Already did, they made a Barnes & Noble (or Target? Some non-GW retailer) Warcry starter kit with the Chaos Warrior and Darkoath WHU warbands. This is just an expansion of the same concept.

U mean Bladeborn?

image.png.5fbafca4ea36ce042c016234ebf18656.png

Didnt sell this in my region.  But this was some kind of Warcry/ Underworlds mashup right?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Warcry Starter Set reveal, which I'm sure comes as a huge shock. 

I, for one, find this actually quite surprising bc this is a very weird "Starter" box for warcry. It's good that the units are actually good for warcry, but why would you want to start new players with bladeborn units, who work completely differently to every other kind of unit. Why have just small barricades and no verticality? Make cheap cardboard terrain so people can actually climb things!!! 

The most baffling part is that these aren't even full warbands, and not even balanced points wise. Xandire's gang is 660, and the Crimson Court is 590, so you can't even just bash them together. If a new player got this, they can't even play properly until they get another box

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nazarjo said:

I, for one, find this actually quite surprising bc this is a very weird "Starter" box for warcry. It's good that the units are actually good for warcry, but why would you want to start new players with bladeborn units, who work completely differently to every other kind of unit. Why have just small barricades and no verticality? Make cheap cardboard terrain so people can actually climb things!!! 

The most baffling part is that these aren't even full warbands, and not even balanced points wise. Xandire's gang is 660, and the Crimson Court is 590, so you can't even just bash them together. If a new player got this, they can't even play properly until they get another box

Could they be planning to release the 2nd edition warscrolls for the Underworlds warbands? I think they still have to old ones. Cant think of any other reason why they would do this tbh.

27 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

U mean Bladeborn?

image.png.5fbafca4ea36ce042c016234ebf18656.png

Didnt sell this in my region.  But this was some kind of Warcry/ Underworlds mashup right?

Yep. A mashup but closer to Warcry, basically Warcry on a hex grid.

This new one is more explicitly for the regular game. As a mini-starter of sorts, I wouldn’t expect balance to be the aim tbh.

7 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Yep. A mashup but closer to Warcry, basically Warcry on a hex grid.

This new one is more explicitly for the regular game. As a mini-starter of sorts, I wouldn’t expect balance to be the aim tbh.

Yeah, the real point of this set is just being a cheap box to lure in new players, as opposed to the more traditional $200+ Warcry sets. It also keeps the core rulesbook in circulation as something other than a webstore only item.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, madmac said:

Yeah, the real point of this set is just being a cheap box to lure in new players, as opposed to the more traditional $200+ Warcry sets. It also keeps the core rulesbook in circulation as something other than a webstore only item.

If its halve the price of the normal box i might consider buying this one tbh.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

If its halve the price of the normal box i might consider buying this one tbh.

I'm sure it will. GW had a $100 starter box for Killteam for a long time that had two full warbands packed in along with some small terrain pieces, if anything this should be even cheaper tbh. Probably won't be, but should be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

Yeah, they are stretching the "Two new warbands" to breaking point on the roadmaps. (Although I will likely pick it up as I have wanted those Vamps for ages and I'm always happy to pick up some more SC bois. 

It doesn’t say two new warbands for the starter set on the roadmap?

IMG_3662.webp

• Like 9

I dont see point of this set other then cash grab for some scatter terrain and reused warbands. Warcry is already simple game with low entry point. On the other hand Underworlds starter is amazing because it only doesnt consist Universal decks so you have everything to play and it is slightly cheaper then regular box.

Edited by Aleser

I honestly don't understand why this Starter isn't like the kill team one. The two warbands from the first set (either Rot Creed + Horns of Hashut or even the ones from the very first warcry) and some small terrain for cover. This is a really odd choice as a way to introduce people to the game

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nazarjo said:

I honestly don't understand why this Starter isn't like the kill team one. The two warbands from the first set (either Rot Creed + Horns of Hashut or even the ones from the very first warcry) and some small terrain for cover. This is a really odd choice as a way to introduce people to the game

They're probably using underworlds warbands because they're push fit and easy to build and play with, unlike warcry warbands which are the normal multipart plastic ones.
The terrain is supposedly all new, so its probably also push fit or all in one piece on the sprue.
Less models probably lets them keep the cost down a bit too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aleser said:

I dont see point of this set other then cash grab for some scatter terrain and reused warbands. Warcry is already simple game with low entry point. On the other hand Underworlds starter is amazing because it only doesnt consist Universal decks so you have everything to play and it is slightly cheaper then regular box.

Warcry doesn't seem like it has a low entry point from the outside. That's the number one issue I have with talking to people about it. They assume they need one of the big boxes to get started. If this is priced similar or less than the Kill Team starter and is an evergreen product it'll be a good way of getting new players to try the game whilst containing the essentials to get started with.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Already did, they made a Barnes & Noble (or Target? Some non-GW retailer) Warcry starter kit with the Chaos Warrior and Darkoath WHU warbands. This is just an expansion of the same concept.

No, I read part of the manual that was leaked in Spanish and it is a complete starter but with less new material. They decided to change the concept of high costed armyboxes to a cheap starter like the WHU Starter. The core rules are complete, it is not an easier or more friendly game like others.

It is not a B&N or Target game, these games are not distributed in Spain and they are impossible to distribute in my country by how the distribution works here.

1 hour ago, EonChao said:

Warcry doesn't seem like it has a low entry point from the outside. That's the number one issue I have with talking to people about it. They assume they need one of the big boxes to get started. If this is priced similar or less than the Kill Team starter and is an evergreen product it'll be a good way of getting new players to try the game whilst containing the essentials to get started with.

I think the big box has lots of value. It gives u the complete Warcry experience. It is a bit pricy but it gives u all the terrain and tools u will ever need. I tried making everything myself but i bumped into a few issues. I didnt have any tokens. I also found the free rules lacking in battleplans/ setup. Crafting my own terrain turned out to be more time consuming than i anticipated. A smaller starterbox would be perfect. It gives u all the basics.

I also love this vampire warband because u could proxy them as Vampire Lords. I also like these SCE models very much. Seems like i will have to start saving some money.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

I am not sure if it's a sale thing though but unlike Killteam, Warcry boxes don't sell out as fast which is good from a consumer perspective and not having to worry about Scalpers but i don't they move thoose stocks as fast either.

people are also saying the same thing about the versus boxes as they didn't have one in the last 2 quarters.

I do find it funny that people think that selling out very quickly and/or being out of stock is just a sign of success and not poor stock management. Unless something is a limited release, selling out/being out of stock is not a good thing. You want to keep your stock levels tight but not so tight that you are leaving a load of money on the table. There is obviously stock manipulation that goes on, in order to keep at least a few kits purposefully out of stock in each range to create a feeling that things are at a premium. However, the idea that because something is in stock and not instantly sold out, is a sign of "failure" is utterly absurd.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

I do find it funny that people think that selling out very quickly and/or being out of stock is just a sign of success and not poor stock management. Unless something is a limited release, selling out/being out of stock is not a good thing. You want to keep your stock levels tight but not so tight that you are leaving a load of money on the table. There is obviously stock manipulation that goes on, in order to keep at least a few kits purposefully out of stock in each range to create a feeling that things are at a premium. However, the idea that because something is in stock and not instantly sold out, is a sign of "failure" is utterly absurd.

I agree with you on all points apart from keeping some kits purposefully out of stock. 

I used to work in forecasting amd sales (not for GW) and no company who wants to make money would purposefully keep things out of stock if they could be sold. 

The demand for certain lines, especially new lines, is greater than GW can supply not them deciding. 

• Like 2

Maybe my wording wasn't the best, but they are kept "purposefully" out of stock because each range will have its own rotation.  If there are a few dozen of a particular product line selling slowly and is about to run out of stock, then they will let it run out and stay listed as out of stock rather than clamoring to get a reprint made (which they could do). It's not a coincidence that every range on the UK GW site has a few kits out of stock, but no single full range is out of stock. That stock management is done purposefully. There are of course kits that have clearly just been misjudged in terms of supply/demand, but I think they might actually be less than people think. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Maybe my wording wasn't the best, but they are kept "purposefully" out of stock because each range will have its own rotation.  If there are a few dozen of a particular product line selling slowly and is about to run out of stock, then they will let it run out and stay listed as out of stock rather than clamoring to get a reprint made (which they could do). It's not a coincidence that every range on the UK GW site has a few kits out of stock, but no single full range is out of stock. That stock management is done purposefully. There are of course kits that have clearly just been misjudged in terms of supply/demand, but I think they might actually be less than people think. 

See Hanlon's Razor for a discussion of this phenomena.

Edited by Wraith
  • Like 1