The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

I really hope not. The dream as I see it is that the incarnate rules were a one-off experiment that get locked out of Matched Play in the next GHB (I really don't like the rules for them). That being said, a faction-specific incarnate would be way easier to balance than a universal one like the Krondspine.

Yeah, I'd rather see incarnates quietly disappear. That said, now one exists and GW have sold it to at least two people I'm not sure they will be willing to turn round to those two people and say "thanks for the money, 'fraid its not matched play legal anymore". Next best thing would be to nerf it enough that no one uses it I guess.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Yeah, I'd rather see incarnates quietly disappear. That said, now one exists and GW have sold it to at least two people I'm not sure they will be willing to turn round to those two people and say "thanks for the money, 'fraid its not matched play legal anymore". Next best thing would be to nerf it enough that no one uses it I guess.

On the contrary, in my local scene at least 90% of incarnates are 3D printed. Maybe gw cut their losses and scrap the idea

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

On the contrary, in my local scene at least 90% of incarnates are 3D printed. Maybe gw cut their losses and scrap the idea

Hence my two people comment: the mini was not popular from what I can tell.

Thing is, much if the cost of miniatures is in designing and cutting the original moulds, do now GW have sunk a fair bit into it they probably don't want to give up on it (despite the sunk costs fallacy) so I don't they'll cut their losses.

It's also why I'm not optimistic about them replacing some older plastic kits. If the design team suggest to their overall manager that they could replace a plastic kit that doesn't sell well with a new version, their manager might not be keen to take the risk of a new kit that might not sell all that well either. Better to keep the old kit, and make a new foot hero instead ☹️

Hopefully I am wrong though.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Thing is, much if the cost of miniatures is in designing and cutting the original moulds, do now GW have sunk a fair bit into it they probably don't want to give up on it (despite the sunk costs fallacy) so I don't they'll cut their losses.

It's also why I'm not optimistic about them replacing some older plastic kits. If the design team suggest to their overall manager that they could replace a plastic kit that doesn't sell well with a new version, their manager might not be keen to take the risk of a new kit that might not sell all that well either. Better to keep the old kit, and make a new foot hero instead ☹️

I think this happens. I dont think its the right way. They create a self fulfilling prophecy by investing in already popular armies. 10/15 year old kits wont magically fly of the shelves like new new fancy sculpts do. Imho they do need to innovate and keep models up to a certain standard to keep people interested. I would love to get a CoS or Skaven army (and many others) but i wont because the sculpts are ancient and didnt age that well imo. There is also the risk with buying old models that they will be removed/ not supported. I dont want to risk my money on a gamble anymore/again. I already own many old orks and gobbos that they deleted from existence. I will gladly buy new models though.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I think this happens. I dont think its the right way. They create a self fulfilling prophecy by investing in already popular armies. 10/15 year old kits wont magically fly of the shelves like new new fancy sculpts do. Imho they do need to innovate and keep models up to a certain standard to keep people interested. I would love to get a CoS or Skaven army (and many others) but i wont because the sculpts are ancient and didnt age that well imo. There is also the risk with buying old models that they will be removed/ not supported. I dont want to risk my money on a gamble anymore/again. I already own many old orks and gobbos that they deleted from existence. I will gladly buy new models though.

I completely agree. I quite like the idea of Seraphon, and I think the newer models they've released are great, but I don't want to start an army which has kits dating back to when I last properly played WFB when there are armies like IDK out there. If they did a significant range refresh similar in quality to the current StD one I think I'd jump on board, but if they leave Skinks and Saurus Warriors with their old kits I can't see myself picking them up. I wonder just how many people there are like me, and how many "unpopular" armies would sell better if they got new minis.

• Like 3

Just now, JerekKruger said:

I completely agree. I quite like the idea of Seraphon, and I think the newer models they've released are great, but I don't want to start an army which has kits dating back to when I last properly played WFB when there are armies like IDK out there. If they did a significant range refresh similar in quality to the current StD one I think I'd jump on board, but if they leave Skinks and Saurus Warriors with their old kits I can't see myself picking them up. I wonder just how many people there are like me, and how many "unpopular" armies would sell better if they got new minis.

There are a lot of people like that. This sunday I took my seraphon to a tournament and like 5 people there said they love the idea of the army but the old models stop them from collecting. I know it's just anecdotal evidence, but I think it still holds some value. Hell, I myself would collect clan skryre skaven if the weapon teams had modern models

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GenericEdgyName said:

There are a lot of people like that. This sunday I took my seraphon to a tournament and like 5 people there said they love the idea of the army but the old models stop them from collecting. 

My mindset also.

The Saurus Knights are so bad. Not a fan of the Saurus Warriors either.

I like their lore, and they are pretty easily my favorite "good guy" army. But I just can't pull the trigger

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kronos said:

I step away for a few days and people are talking about Malerion and our Brodd is now a Troll.

whats going on? 

Anyone have one of those neat Thread Round ups of all the hearsay? 

Brodd joined the Dankhold. 

We have GSG + mystery warband coming up for Underworlds.

A title for the next Warcry box. (Bloodhunt, after that Nightmare Quest)

Rumours about a Spider Incarnate/ Season of War Gallet.

Unsolved RE hints at more Seraphon.

Rumours about new CoS is not that far into the future.

Did i forget something?

Edit: Whitefang likes seem to hint at FEC getting more than the 1 hero and tome.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

This is where the popularity of space marines save the day. Marines sell so well they can afford to make kits that will recoup costs at a much slower rate because marines pick up the slack. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Ogregut said:

This is where the popularity of space marines save the day. Marines sell so well they can afford to make kits that will recoup costs at a much slower rate because marines pick up the slack. 

Makes me wonder how well Sisters, Eldar, Beastsnaggas and Necrons ( and Squats) did compared to the Primaris.

18 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Makes me wonder how well Sisters, Eldar, Beastsnaggas and Necrons ( and Squats) did compared to the Primaris.

I heard very good things about Sisters sales (and the box did sell out in a few seconds), but I couldn't give exact numbers nor could I say how well compared to Space Marines.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Except they have shareholders who want the company's share price to rise and/or to get dividends paid out, or a very good explanation as to why they shouldn't sell their shares and find something else to invest in, which puts a lot of pressure on the higher ups at GW to focus on anything that will do this. Sure, they could risk it and it might pay off, or they could make more Space Marine stuff (and other big sellers) to give themselves the highest chance of giving the shareholders what they want.

And the depressing thing is that every year you manage to please the shareholders results in an even bigger target the next year.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Except they have shareholders who want the company's share price to rise and/or to get dividends paid out, or a very good explanation as to why they shouldn't sell their shares and find something else to invest in, which puts a lot of pressure on the higher ups at GW to focus on anything that will do this. Sure, they could risk it and it might pay off, or they could make more Space Marine stuff (and other big sellers) to give themselves the highest chance of giving the shareholders what they want.

And the depressing thing is that every year you manage to please the shareholders results in an even bigger target the next year.

Surely the focus of any company is to produce a product that will sell regardless of shareholders. 

Saying that not every product can sell as well as marines, the single hero models released this year for AoS for example yet GW keep producing them.