The Rumour Thread

5 hours ago, Chikout said:

This year we will end up with ten battletomes and the slaves book which will come out in a fomo box this year and properly next year. That brings us up to 13 or 14 books by the end of 2022. 

If next year follows the pattern we will have every AoS faction with a book by the end of the year. 

That would be some going to have every book done with six months to spare. 

We know we are getting the bulk of the Slaves stuff at the beginning of the year. 

There are a lot of rumour engines that look like flesheater courts. Given that we've already seen a miniless Cursed City expansion, I'm going to predict at least a Sylvaneth sized expansion for them, maybe in the spring.  

I do think we will see Chaos Duardin next year. They've been teased more than any faction since the KO. They could well arrive next summer, before 10th edition 40k. 

I'm kind of expecting the Cities book sooner than some on here have been guessing. They could take the Leagues of Votann slot next autumn. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see single mini releases for Khorne, Slaanesh, Soulblight, KO and Gitz. 

Seraphon are a wild card. We've seen Seraphon rumour engines but they could be for the warcry box we know is coming. 

OBR is the last book. People have been predicting archers for ages based of the underworlds warband but there have been plenty of warbands that haven't left to anything. They could get anything from a single mini to another big wave. 

With 10th for 40k and at least two major AoS releases, two or three  of these of the books could well slip into 2024. Still it's looking like being a much better year for AoS than 2022. 

To go all out on the guessing.

Winter 2022 warcry Seraphon, Underworlds starter. 

January 2023 Slaves to Darkness.

February Gitz Vs KO box- one mini each. Warcry box 3 

March Gitz and KO battletomes

April  Flesh eaters Vs Khorne box. One mini for Khorne, more for Flesh eaters. 

May Khorne and Flesh eaters books. Mini wave for Flesh eaters. Warcry box 4

June Chaos Duardin. 

July August just 40k stuff. Maybe a season of war thing. 

September warcry year two and 40k

October Cities launch box. 

November Cities. Underworlds new season.

December Seraphon Vs Slaanesh box. 

This is all just pure guess work but it will be interesting to see what happens. 

I love the idea! I'm going to copy you.

January

Slaves to Darkness

Febraury

Warcry Box 2 + GHB21-2

March

Gloomspite Gitz VS Seraphon

April
Season of War: Rhondial

May

Cities of Sigmar

June

Wacry Box 3 - GHB 22-1

July

40k new Edition

August

Khorne vs Ossiarch Bonereapers

September

Soulblight Gravelords

October
Orruk Warclans WAVE 2

November
Season of War: Lendu

December

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

January

Slaves to Darkness

Febraury

Warcry Box 2 + GHB21-2

March

April

May

Cities of Sigmar

June

Wacry Box 3 - GHB 22-1

July

40k new Edition

August

September

Soulblight Gravelords

October
Orruk Warclans WAVE 2

November

December

Feb will be warcry box 3. The next box will be out in November. They are being released every 3 months. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

January

Slaves to Darkness

Febraury

Warcry Box 2 + GHB21-2

March

April

May

Cities of Sigmar

June

Wacry Box 3 - GHB 22-1

July

40k new Edition

August

September

Soulblight Gravelords

October
Orruk Warclans WAVE 2

November

December

I love the optimism of a May release for Cities. I hope your version is true. 

Just now, EntMan said:

Based on recent pattern wouldn't this mean of 2 factions desperately needing a refresh, only one will and the other will just get a foot hero (I'm looking at treepeople and ratmen here...)

I'm expecting only one hero for each one. The Seraphon refresh will be the Warcry warband

20 minutes ago, The Red King said:

All these hypothetical release schedules and not a single mention of beasts T_T (except Brodd)

So in other words you're probably all right. 

I must admit, I completely forgot about beasts. I really don't know what to think about them. Both Kragnos and the Ogroids feel like a natural fit for them but ended up on different factions. I've no idea what gw intends to do with them 

10 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I must admit, I completely forgot about beasts. I really don't know what to think about them. Both Kragnos and the Ogroids feel like a natural fit for them but ended up on different factions. I've no idea what gw intends to do with them 

This is how a few armies are. Heck I don't know what GW is going to do with the elf and dwarf parts of Cities of Sigmar. The high and wood elf are tiny bits left over; the Dark elf is basically the entire line minus the few things Daughters of Khaine pinched. They could put Dark Elves back as a functional army with just a book and perhaps one or two new leader models and done.

The Dwarves did lose most of their artillery, but otherwise its also pretty much sort of bits of it left there too. 

1 hour ago, Sahrial said:

I’m just gonna throw this out there that not doing a death army in October two years in a row would be very poor planning on GW’s part.

they also created an "orktober" holiday and afaik have never actually done anything with it (in terms of releases). par for the course.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

The Dwarves did lose most of their artillery, but otherwise its also pretty much sort of bits of it left there too. 

that squatting was what originally made me think GW was redoing artillery for AOS. however now we know that it's going to be humans, yet the Empire artillery still has rules right? So I'm again confused by that decision. It's not like K.O or other duardin army got artillery in return.

• Like 1

I've never really understood why GW broke armies into only 4 parts

Leaders - pretty simple and good

Troops - just feels bloated and almost useless as a term considering how much is in there

Artillery - almost useless because so few forces right now have any 

Monsters - makes good sense. 

Personally I'd like to see them release more general light artillery. Bolt throwers, catapults and more should be everywhere and they aren't. Following up I'd love to see them split things up a bit. At the absolute least I'd like to see Cavalry as its own thing (and cavalry style models  for those who don't have cavalry and for models that fit the same general theme even if they aren't mounted). 

Heck I sometimes wonder if leaders should be broken into named and generic with perhaps a 1-2 limit on named leaders and then a 1-4 on generic etc... Just to add some limit variety and mix things up a little.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Leaders - pretty simple and good

Troops - just feels bloated and almost useless as a term considering how much is in there

Artillery - almost useless because so few forces right now have any 

Monsters - makes good sense. 

I think "troops" is just a catch-all.  If you aren't one of the special categories, then you're "troops."  

But I also wonder why they have the Artillery designation.  There are few artilleries in the game and even the ones we have are mostly (with a few exceptions) indistinguishable from regular shooters.  I really wish they'd make more artillery and have it have more specialized roles.  The beastkilla kill bow is a great example of something that definitely has a use, but outside of that use is fairly lackluster. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Arbitor Ian has a video about the evolution of war40k from first to 9th edition. It's interesting because some concepts from the begining were changed over the years, and one of them is exactly what we are talking about.

From an edition with complicated rules, closer to a RPG than a wargame, to an edition that had 4 roles (vehicles, cavalry, bikes and infantry), and then adding type of units to improve the whole feeling ot the game (until it was too much and they needed a reset... again).

I'm not sure what's the most optimized number of unit-types for a wargame like AoS, but I would like something for elites, and maybe for God-like creatures. It's not the same a Behemoth of 150p than a Behemoth that costs 500p, and both counts for the same slot.

Btw, talking about Monsters, Behemoths, subfactions, factions, etc... I think that it's good to have a control on how many labels are we dealing with. I don't like to add muliple ones like Horus Heresy: one unit can have up to 6 layers of rules (the main one being his rules, the last one being his Rites of War), and even if they are easy to remember... 6 LAYERS??? REALLY?

Another thing to take in mind is how "hero hammer" AoS seems to be (big names moving the story by themself), but instead, we don't have mechanics that match the theme.  We can't even have our own and custom Heroes with just 1 artifact and maybe 1 trait if it's your general (unless using a non-matched play system) and just to point it out, just a reminder of my periodical complain: we still don't have Challenges!

/offtopic I can't wait to buy all the league of Votann miniatures, they look awesome!!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

All these hypothetical release schedules and not a single mention of beasts T_T (except Brodd)

So in other words you're probably all right. 

With Destruction not having a large narrative presence so far this Edition it weighs on Gloomspite wether Destruction is the antagonist of 3.0. If Destruction starts making narrative moves and Gloomspite gets a Wave 2 then yes its for Destruction.

However if not Im hedging bets that where the narrative is heading, since SOW Thondia, Beasts of Chaos are getting their AOS time in sun.

Im hoping to see more Beasts Rumour Engines in the next year. I could see them either getting a massive relaunch at the end of the Edition OR as the Starters have been Order VS Chaos, Death and now Destruction, its Chaos turn again and they feature in the 4.0 starter.

I have doubt BoC will get that much love especially as a starter set army, I don’t even think GW love them that much to warrant that kind of speculation 

they can easy just get skaven treatment and that just it for them even if it is the Era of the beast.

seraphim I am more optimistic about since they both had a model from broken realm and is an order army so they are more likely to get more stuff.

If we're speculating I'd bet on Obr either releasing alongside STD or immediately after. They need a rules rewrite but being a range of newer models I don't imagine they'll get much this edition. An infantry warrior hero would be a good fit for a single kit too.

The ranges I think are most likely to see updates before the end of next year are Gitz, BoC & FeC. We might get Dawnbringer crusades but I'm not too convinced, I think it will be one of the last books for the edition.

So my prediction/wishlist looks like:
Obr in december/january, Gitz vs KO in Q1 with a spiderfang expansion, BoC vs Seraphon with a BoC refresh in Q2, FeC vs Khorne with a small sylvaneth style expansion for FeC in Q3, then Soulblight and Chaos dwarves in Q4. Thats 8-9 books and we'd only be missing cities/dawnbringers and slaanesh which would fit nicely into early 2024. We will probably see a narrative campaign start up sometime in late 2022-mid 2023 to prep us for 4e. 

I don't see us getting any new more new armies after chaos dwarves this edition. Although I would love to see gitmob return.

4e starter box could actually be dawnbringers though, narratively BoC would be a fantastic counterpart but I'd put my bets on elves. specifically Lumineth vs "Umbraneth" which would explain why they dropped the lumineth tome so early (can't have them wait out a whole edition for a new book). Plus we'd complete the circle and get an Order vs Order starter box. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

I'd say they have enough ships BUT they could get a Mech Vehicle instead. This could open a whole new direction for this faction.

Even better if they get a Slaanesh treatment. Khorne needs a big MORTAL centerpiece so that they could play on their own without demons.

I think they get one model and it’s Valkia which would be the mortal tie in. 

Could it be possible that BOC becomes more of a sub faction of S2D? Similar to legion of first prince. I could see Legion, slaves and BOC being in a war clan style book. Considering the ogroids, tzzangor and the slangor are all spread throughout. What if they just keep adding beasts to other chaos armies that could be used together if you wanted to in a beasts sub faction. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

Could it be possible that BOC becomes more of a sub faction of S2D? Similar to legion of first prince. I could see Legion, slaves and BOC being in a war clan style book. Considering the ogroids, tzzangor and the slangor are all spread throughout. What if they just keep adding beasts to other chaos armies that could be used together if you wanted to in a beasts sub faction. 

We are assuming that currently and in the near future that not GW’s plan for them given that the S2D book is already leak and it doesn’t have beast in them

11 hours ago, Beliman said:

Arbitor Ian has a video about the evolution of war40k from first to 9th edition. It's interesting because some concepts from the begining were changed over the years, and one of them is exactly what we are talking about.

From an edition with complicated rules, closer to a RPG than a wargame, to an edition that had 4 roles (vehicles, cavalry, bikes and infantry), and then adding type of units to improve the whole feeling ot the game (until it was too much and they needed a reset... again).

I'm not sure what's the most optimized number of unit-types for a wargame like AoS, but I would like something for elites, and maybe for God-like creatures. It's not the same a Behemoth of 150p than a Behemoth that costs 500p, and both counts for the same slot.

Btw, talking about Monsters, Behemoths, subfactions, factions, etc... I think that it's good to have a control on how many labels are we dealing with. I don't like to add muliple ones like Horus Heresy: one unit can have up to 6 layers of rules (the main one being his rules, the last one being his Rites of War), and even if they are easy to remember... 6 LAYERS??? REALLY?

Another thing to take in mind is how "hero hammer" AoS seems to be (big names moving the story by themself), but instead, we don't have mechanics that match the theme.  We can't even have our own and custom Heroes with just 1 artifact and maybe 1 trait if it's your general (unless using a non-matched play system) and just to point it out, just a reminder of my periodical complain: we still don't have Challenges!

/offtopic I can't wait to buy all the league of Votann miniatures, they look awesome!!

conceptually I think we are reaching or have reached the singularity point with respect to the rules designers expertise. 

In the past most designers started out playing historical wargames, and so their design is steeped in how armies actually work. In that context a fantasy wargame is one based on medieval or ancients principles, cavalry and siege engines are very important.

however at a certain point most designers probably got started playing 40k, before maybe moving to warhammer. They lack the historical context to see why wargames rosters are structured the way they are.

So when they make a fantasy game its conceptually 40k with footslogging stormcast knights instead of spacr marines, and dragons instead of tanks. But they maybe miss that those army structures are rooted in ww2 era stuff, and can't see the point of artillery which isn't on a vehicle or monster (tank), don't have a solid idea for how cavalry tactics can be used, or what to do with actual knights.

basically to make a rounded game the gw designers need to play beyond the gw ecosystem, but is that ecosystem so sll consuming that at a certain point that is no longer encouraged? I don't think that we're quite there yet. There are still old hands in the design department. But I di think that day will come.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

With Destruction not having a large narrative presence so far this Edition it weighs on Gloomspite wether Destruction is the antagonist of 3.0. If Destruction starts making narrative moves and Gloomspite gets a Wave 2 then yes its for Destruction.

However if not Im hedging bets that where the narrative is heading, since SOW Thondia, Beasts of Chaos are getting their AOS time in sun.

Im hoping to see more Beasts Rumour Engines in the next year. I could see them either getting a massive relaunch at the end of the Edition OR as the Starters have been Order VS Chaos, Death and now Destruction, its Chaos turn again and they feature in the 4.0 starter.

White Dwarf narrative storyline is about a new Waaagh! on Rhondal region in Ghur. The campaign is big enough to give cardboard cards and a cardboard Rhondal map in the past White Dwarf's issue.

I'm expecting two more big releases for Destruction factions this edition, and I will be not surprised if Destruction gets another new faction.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

White Dwarf narrative storyline is about a new Waaagh! on Rhondal region in Ghur. The campaign is big enough to give cardboard cards and a cardboard Rhondal map in the past White Dwarf's issue.

I'm expecting two more big releases for Destruction factions this edition, and I will be not surprised if Destruction gets another new faction.

Oh man I wish WD would publish those stories online!! 

Do you think Gitz will be a Wave 2 release? They are one of AOS best selling Factions.

I just hope a new Faction is radically different from Big Ladz and Greenskinz.

• Like 1