The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, Overread said:

About the only thing we can debate on is what we might see for the Flesh Eater Courts and Skaven after this new duel box. Otherwise we've no real material to go on. We know a human faction and two Aelven factions are coming and that Dark Oath are coming - but we've really nothing on specifics. 

Those dual boxes do not always mean both armies inside are getting full releases in the immediate future.  They usually do indicate those forces are coming sooner rather than later, but it can lag out quite a while.

I believe that the Blight War box set came out a fair bit before they released the Nurgle book.  If you look at similar releases in 40k the most recent released box was the Tooth & Claw box set that had Space Wolves and Genestealer Cult.  That was up for preorder in August.  The Space Wolves came out at roughly the same time, but we are just now starting to see the full hype machine for Genestealers.

I would not be surprised to see a similar thing happen with the Flesh Eaters vs Skaven box set.  It feels like Flesh Eaters would be a smaller release with a couple kits and a box set that would be easy for GW to slot into some of the bigger releases that are coming for both 40k and AoS and then lag a larger Skaven release out until late summer or fall.

My only worry about getting a book release soon for Skaven is that they won't make a big release wave like Gloomspite Gits and that would be a really big shame.  Skaven deserve a full-blown overhaul style update and that seems more likely to happen in a later release window.  Remember that 40k is still going to alternate with AoS and take up big release windows for the year.

Edited by Skabnoze

19 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Those dual boxes do not always mean both armies inside are getting full releases in the immediate future.  They usually do indicate those forces are coming sooner rather than later, but it can lag out quite a while. 

I believe that the Blight War box set came out a fair bit before they released the Nurgle book.  If you look at similar releases in 40k the most recent released box was the Tooth & Claw box set that had Space Wolves and Genestealer Cult.  That was up for preorder in August.  The Space Wolves came out at roughly the same time, but we are just now starting to see the full hype machine for Genestealers.

I would not be surprised to see a similar thing happen with the Flesh Eaters vs Skaven box set.  It feels like Flesh Eaters would be a smaller release with a couple kits and a box set that would be easy for GW to slot into some of the bigger releases that are coming for both 40k and AoS and then lag a larger Skaven release out until late summer or fall.

My only worry about getting a book release soon for Skaven is that they won't make a big release wave like Gloomspite Gits and that would be a really big shame.  Skaven deserve a full-blown overhaul style update and that seems more likely to happen in a later release window.  Remember that 40k is still going to alternate with AoS and take up big release windows for the year.

Blight war was november-ish, Nurgle was something like January. Wasn't too much of a gap between them.

Black Legion are the big early 2019 release for 40k. There will be new marines (that can work for other generic CSM factions too), some special units and at least one new daemon engine. Also, just because Carrion Empire is a thing don't expect an immediate tome for either faction. It's possible that battletomes will come out at the same time as the box but it may be that the box comes out then a few months later you see the tome plus single kits for the heroes. These battle boxes are designed to clear stock. 

I don't think light and dark aelves are going to be released this year, but that doesn't mean they aren't in development. Idoneth Deepkin were in development for a long time. At the moment the focus is on selling DoK and IDK kits in terms of aelves. I would expect Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth and Ironjawz to all see attention this year. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

Blight war was november-ish, Nurgle was something like January. Wasn't too much of a gap between them.

Fair enough, although the Tooth & Claw time gap is not insignificant.  It looks like it will be about August to Feb - so about 6 months.  That does not mean a hard rule that the same thing will happen, but I would not be surprised.

Remember that they put out a 2019 vision article and Skaven were not mentioned.  That article was a bit slim and obviously they would not leak everything, but it still had enough things mentioned for both games that a big release soon seems unlikely.

53 minutes ago, Joakim said:

So just a fyreslayer tome or assuming there will be new models too?

the range is not huge so how much can be done with just a book update?

If you want direct quotes what he said:

They are getting a Battletome release in March.

I know just as I know Fyreslayers are getting love in Feb. Just go with it.

Trust in the Horned One.

1 minute ago, sorokyl said:

What human faction? (besides Darkoath)? Not sure what you are referring to

Free Peoples or an unnamed human faction for Order. Considering how many humans there are in the Lore and in Order as models it stands to reason a human army for them is coming. Remembering that Stormcast are not human. 

1 minute ago, Overread said:

Free Peoples or an unnamed human faction for Order. Considering how many humans there are in the Lore and in Order as models it stands to reason a human army for them is coming. Remembering that Stormcast are not human. 

Basically your argument is "they don't have a battletome so they are getting a battletome".   The Gitmob Grots probably want a word with you. 
Jokes aside, yes obviously we expect everyone to get a battletome at some point, but I don't believe there is any reason to expect something for them anytime soon.  Personally I would expect Skaven, Ogors, and Disposessed are just as likely. And all the factions that need a second battletome, throw in a couple of new factions.  Yes "Humans" are probably one of the next 15 battletomes, sure. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kramer said:

septemberish in my memory. Last week of august according to the community site

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/20/blightwar-new-rules-new-models-and-moregw-homepage-post-2/

Ah, yes. If I recall, the reason I probably thought November was that there was an issue with my copy and it took them ages to find a replacement part (due to being out of stock) I'm probably misremembering the replacement showing up in November as the release. But sept-jan is still not too long a wait for the battletome, taking into account that christmas probably slows down any new release (as the big January army seems to be popular and a good way to make some after xmas cash)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Overread said:

Remembering that Stormcast are not human. 

Genuine question. If not human then what are they? They have human anatomy,human faces,normal hair-do's....they look pretty much human to me albeit dead reforged humans.

If it looks like a duck,swims like a duck and quacks like duck then it's a duck. 

13 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

I have known about the skaven battletome for months in fact I posted about it in this very thread around October maybe earlier whole reason I created an account here. Fyreslayers I have seen no sign of but if that does come out it would not surprise me. 

Do you know if there is some changes on storm fiends rules?

54 minutes ago, discoking said:

Genuine question. If not human then what are they? They have human anatomy,human faces,normal hair-do's....they look pretty much human to me albeit dead reforged humans.

If it looks like a duck,swims like a duck and quacks like duck then it's a duck. 

If a human is a duck then a Stormcast is a Goose - Compare the size of the average stormcast to the average aelf or human and the Stormcast tower over them. They are essentially the Order equivalent of Chaos Warriors - super powered and sized and birthed from human origins, but twisted. Whilst Chaos warps the original body; the Stormcast is born from the souls of those who cry out to Sigmar for revenge on Chaos; from powerful individuals who die in Sigmar's embrace and whom he takes up through bolts of lightning to be reforged within his Realm. 

Stormcast are not human, they appear sort of human, but they are not. They are capable of rebirth through Sigmar through the reforging; but they lose a part of themselves every single time. Some recall their past some recall nothing. They don't breed (far as I'm aware) they might love; but they are mostly a living weapon. 

Humans on the other hand are building civilizations; born naturally, are smaller in stature and size and form the bulk (along with Aelves and Dwarves) of the peoples of many Realms. 

Humans are very much going to get an Order army, at least one if not two I would wager. Free Peoples is the popular focus because it already has a large population of humans to build an army from and has rules in the Generals Handbook. When that army will come is known only be GW. 

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

I legitimately cant see GW fusing all the Clans back together when they can make more money with less effort by just selling 4 clans that can ally. 

I mean they have to make 18 units alone in plastic afaik. I dont think GW have ever done that much in a single release post WFB frankly. Not even Stormcast. 

By keeping them separate its much easier. You fold Clanrats, Stormvermin and Grey Seers into every faction since every clan has expendable chumps and their slightly better bodyguards , using Skyre as an example they'd   get a plastic Dual Acolyte kit, Endless Spells, plastic Weapon Team Kit, scenery item (since thats a thing people forget) and a plastic kit that can make either a Warlock Engineer or arch Warlorck.

5 kits are an easier sell then 18.

Skaven don't need a huge number of new kits to combine up, especially if GW reunites them. 

Plus it makes sense, things like Clan Rats and Slaves are going to be shared over most of the clans anyway so there's 1 or two units that already will have to be universally balanced between them.

Then you've got the fact that alliances within a Battletome removes the points and count limits of the normal allies system, its far more flexible without having to change anything to the core rules of the game itself. 

Finally it means that if GW releases a new "clan moulder" style or themed unit it counts as a new thing for all the Skaven clans. Otherwise they've got to support 3 or 4 armies with new releases, updates and attention. 

That latter point is a big one and I think it was fine when AoS was in its original form whereby we had a lot of small armies which were likely going to be cycled through (retiring some, bringing new ones in). However today they are approaching it more "normally" for GW. Supporting more armies is hard, whilst if they combine things up it makes things a lot easier and, honestly, better for most involved. So long as they balance it like goblins then you'll still have viable mono-clan factions to pick from, whilst having the total freedom to mix and match if you want. 

• Like 1

Slaves dont exist anymore weirdly. But our ideas are diametrically opposed depending on what GWs army release will follow. The older minimalist style (5 odd kits) or the newer fusions. I feel the fusions are only worth it if theres not enough material to spin out or its just several pre existing kits that got split needlessly during the initial AOS (ala BOC or LON).

Entirely unsubstantiated but I feel that Gloomspite started off as a moonclan only deal before they decided to throw in the Spiders and the Trogs (whom probably had been finished further back but needed the right release time) at the last minuite.