The Rumour Thread

6 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

I mentioned it already in the Warhammer Quest forum but Shadows over Hammerhal is back up on GW Australia. Others confirmed it was back on the UK, US, Polish, Irish and rest of EU sites as well.

I noticed that too. I wonder if maybe it and Silvertower were taken down and will both come back to coincide with the 40kquest(assuming Silvertower comes back too). Either way I'm glad I panic bought Silvertower on Amazon when it disappeared. I'd been thinking about it, and know GW, when something disappears, it could come back in 6 months or 6 years if ever.

1 hour ago, carnith said:

Store manager yesterday told me he sent back all of his marauder kits and had them marked as Obselete Stock. 

Makes sense if Darkoath is taking over the marauder side. The question is will it be just the marauders or replacing Slaves to Darkness entirely. Chaos Warriors must be the oldest plastic kit now and look a bit weedy next to the Stormcast and Khorne Chaos Warriors.

10 minutes ago, firebat said:

The question is will it be just the marauders or replacing Slaves to Darkness entirely. Chaos Warriors must be the oldest plastic kit now and look a bit weedy next to the Stormcast and Khorne Chaos Warriors.

Ideally, they'd be replaced too. They're the original big, fully armoured guys, and should be as big and flashy as the Stormcast. But you know, with skulls and spikes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, firebat said:

Makes sense if Darkoath is taking over the marauder side. The question is will it be just the marauders or replacing Slaves to Darkness entirely. Chaos Warriors must be the oldest plastic kit now and look a bit weedy next to the Stormcast and Khorne Chaos Warriors.

Considering the amount of new kits both Nighthaunt and Sacrosanct got, I'm hopeful StD will get new warriors/chosen aswell as marauders (and other new shiny things).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Maybe Slaves to Darkness will be Squatted and Darkoath will replace them entirely.

Entirely depends on if they can fill out a full faction of Marauders in an interesting way I suppose. It's a bit like a Beastman army without the interesting bits like monsters and goat heads (or horse bottoms).

Edited by firebat

3 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Maybe Slaves to Darkness will be Squatted and Darkoath will replace them entirely.

That's highly unlikely. They've been shown time and time again in the fluff, darkoath are known to be part of the slaves to darkness, they got allegiance abilities, a Start Collecting box and now a Battleforce. They aren't going anywhere as a faction. The oldest models? Probably going to be resculpted, but darkoath can't replace StD if they are StD. If you are suggesting darkoath would be an entirely new faction, normally you don't make two factions with the same theme, aesthetic and background.

Edited by AshCrow

12 minutes ago, firebat said:

Chaos Warriors are probably the single best aging model GW ever produced. They are from 6th edition WHFB and are still looking fine, compare that to Seraphon or some other armies that just look terrible... I highly doubt we'll see an update on them in the next years. An exception might be Chosen, as they do not look distinct enough from the rest (and are finecast...).

The Marauder part of StD on the other hand... it's painful just looking at them.

I don't want to contribute to the abundance of wish-listing in this thread, but I've got the feeling that StD will be split. Marauders being now Darkoath and rather low on the corruption scale and the knight-ish part bolstering Archaon.

2 hours ago, carnith said:

Store manager yesterday told me he sent back all of his marauder kits and had them marked as Obselete Stock. 

He send them back because he felt like he wasn't going to sell them anyway or they got ordered back from GW?

• Like 1

I've not yet finished but the new Darkoath based Novella released yesterday is a great read. Has a relationship with the Chaos gods a little like Conan in that they woreship the gods, but are not as thralled to them as the pure chaos woreshippers. It gives them a sense of independent thought that is refreshing in a chaos faction. They also feature at least one chariot pulled by huge hounds and one character flying on a tzeentch disk. So clearly they'll have some warp influenced elements, but not as chock full as other chaos factions. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Overread said:

I've not yet finished but the new Darkoath based Novella released yesterday is a great read. Has a relationship with the Chaos gods a little like Conan in that they woreship the gods, but are not as thralled to them as the pure chaos woreshippers. It gives them a sense of independent thought that is refreshing in a chaos faction. They also feature at least one chariot pulled by huge hounds and one character flying on a tzeentch disk. So clearly they'll have some warp influenced elements, but not as chock full as other chaos factions. 

This.

I get an overall Norsca meets Conan vibe from how they are positioning Darkoath.

Which doesn't fit the rest of StD and Archaon still needs tabletop representation of the vast forces he has assembled in books.

I would be surprised if this goes any other way tbh, as this solves multiple problems at once. Chaos would get a rather unique army which is not entirely compromised of "KILL MAIM BURN edgelords" and Archaon would finally get his forces (and a potential book with more than 3 units...).

11 minutes ago, Overread said:

Which novella it is? Please provide a link :)

Just now, Xasz said:

This.

I get an overall Norsca meets Conan vibe from how they are positioning Darkoath.

Which doesn't fit the rest of StD and Archaon still needs tabletop representation of the vast forces he has assembled in books.

I would be surprised if this goes any other way tbh, as this solves multiple problems at once. Chaos would get a rather unique army which is not entirely compromised of "KILL MAIM BURN edgelords" and Archaon would finally get his forces (and a potential book with more than 3 units...).

But that's literally what Slaves to Darkness are. It's pretty stupid to separate the marauder part from the warrior part as they are the same thing, just like they were back in Fantasy.

@Malin Warqueen https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/warqueen-ebook-2018.html

Part of the new Novella series that came out yesterday in physical and ebook formats. I got the 10 set (which if bought from Black Library gives you one free in either paper or digital form). 

@Xasz I agree I feel like they are going to be very popular and give a new flavour to chaos that, indeed, isn't just all pure addicted madness. Heck wouldn't surprise me if they are more fluid in how they serve the gods and being prepared to make the gods work for them to earn their woreship (if Tzeentch fails they might turn to Nurgle or Khorne). So they are working for Chaos but not slaved to it 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GeneralZero said:

I was aiming at the upcoming battleforce of the Slave of darknes. Do you think that it is still interesting knowing those rumors?

I doubt neither the knights, lord, chariots and warshrine are getting replaced, so that leaves a box of warriors that even if they get new sculpts, all those bits will probably be useful.

Am I totally wrong in thinking that if they replace the marauder kit that would be the first plastic kit they're replaced since 6th edition? Although I suppose if they're spurned off to their own faction and not called marauders any more it could be argued they still hadn't.

1 hour ago, firebat said:

Am I totally wrong in thinking that if they replace the marauder kit that would be the first plastic kit they're replaced since 6th edition? Although I suppose if they're spurned off to their own faction and not called marauders any more it could be argued they still hadn't.

Don't think it will be a straight replacement. Different name, different warscroll.

Easiest thing to remove them for GW is to move them to Warhammer Chronicles/Legends or however it is named. Remove Slaves to Darkness keyword and add Warriors of Chaos, remove points bonus for taking horde and there you go, they are useless for matched play purposes, with Darkoath being better models and most probably some funky new rules no one will think about fielding marauders anymore and rush to buy new stuff instead. #sorted

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, AshCrow said:

If you are suggesting darkoath would be an entirely new faction, normally you don't make two factions with the same theme, aesthetic and background.

Darkoath just feels like a chance to be an AoS within an AoS.

What I mean is this:

AoS gave GW the creative freedom to reinvent many things that were stuck in a rut in WFB, from nations to lore to armies to model aesthetics. For instance, elves. They called them aelves, shrouded them in mystery, integrated then into Sigmar's cities and then made Daughters and Deepkin instead of Dark Elves.

Who would have thought that Undead would become Legions plus an army born from 2 or 3 models into a fully realized Nighthaunt army?

StD seems, to me, like an old idea (Norse, Marauders with bows and spiked hair) that grew into something else from 3rd ed through 8th. By time WFB ended, there was just this big pile of repeated and stagnant "guys worshipping chaos in various states of dress and spikiness."

Now they have a chance to reboot the concept in terms of lore and model range. Drop all the old models (which they've shown they have no issue doing, regardless of newness of kits or rabid fanbases), put all the truly elite, fully chaosified stuff in a redone Everchosen list, and recreate the mortal-tribesmen-who-don't-quite-realize-they-are-bad-guys army as the Darkoath.

A bit like Stormcast and Freedudes.

Also, one small PC benefit. It gets rid of the word Slaves. It's touchy anyway, but with the diversity GW has shown in models and paint job recently (kudos to them), it could be awkward for them to sell "slaves" to parents gift shopping for their little angels.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

However pleasure demons, demons with bits of metal stuck in various bits of their body, undead skeletons, robots with human flesh peeling off them and blood soaked demons and huge tanks that have huge vats of blood on the back are all fine? I think the slaves issue is terribly minor and almost of no impact at all.

Heck the Imperium has servators which are basically human brains slaved inside their own skull; whilst the Penetant Engine has a person being crucified on the front of it (more or less) 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2