The Rumour Thread

22 minutes ago, Luperci said:

tbf I imagine in-universe, melusai are very quick, the only thing it wouldn't make sense for to me is like, a nighthaunt, how do you touch a ghost, let alone turn it to crystal. In terms of health characteristics, imagine it like the melusai can't overpower creatures with a more vital lifeforce? That's how I interpret it, outside of game balance stuff

Theres always a disconnect between the lore and the tabletop and for the sake of rules balance and gameplay thats probaly for the best. 
Stormcast are literally fully covered in enchanted armour, so random goblins with sticks, steelhelm swords, skeleton spears, Dryad Stick hands and hell, even Darkoath swords should just slide off the armour. Some Goblin swinging a sword at a Ghost should do absolutly nothing, but that would just ruin balance in the game. 

Coherency change was probably done to remove 1" and 2" measurements from the game and standardize everything to either 1/2" or 3".

I bet there will be new combat gauges with just these two measurements on them

4 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

3rd edition rules were written like 1.5 years into 2nd edition right? There was still some "within" 1st edition style buffs running around, so tightening coherency made some sense to crack down on the conga lining. Problem was they had fixed the problem in the battletomes by switching to wholly within so when we actually got the rules the problem had been fixed.
I'm not sure why 10 dudes standing shoulder to shoulder is illegal, but 6 pigs butt to face is fine.

I don't disagree. Its not like a balance problem, just really annoying.

Yeah, annoying is the right word and it could be that speed that is won by the other rule changes is lost with all the fiddling with the mini's to have them correct placed, without pushing them aside or worse break a spear or other small / thin thing.

Edited by Tonhel

2 hours ago, Sception said:

with 1/2 inch double coherency infantry units might as well go back to being ranked up on squares.  1 inch double coherency, or 1/2 inch single coherency is fine, but half inch double, and we're /still/ doing obnoxious wholly within bubbles (albeit fewer of them due to commands not being 'issued' by models with ranges) is just obnoxious.

the only bit I havent liked from the 4e previews so far.

I'm inclined to agree; I liked the 2" coherency AoS began with. I get that it caused its own set of challenges, but I liked the look of it and it made it easy to keep my guys in coherency using terrain like the Stormvault with it's 2" wide staircases. The ridiculous conga-chains one could do isn't great, but .5" just makes me feel like one would be better off just using movement trays exclusively.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captaniser said:

Coherency is now half an inch. It’s going to be so friggin annoying moving models with bits that overhand bases now, boingrot bounders and all of the Night haunt are going to be a nightmare.

Mini Mag Tray is your answer.

IMG_0841.jpeg.608b4b6bf11e7b854f3744c43a7d10f8.jpeg

I’m generally with GW on this. Long lines and loose blobs begone.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Pizzaprez said:

I'm inclined to agree; I liked the 2" coherency AoS began with. I get that it caused its own set of challenges, but I liked the look of it and it made it easy to keep my guys in coherency using terrain like the Stormvault with it's 2" wide staircases. The ridiculous conga-chains one could do isn't great, but .5" just makes me feel like one would be better off just using movement trays exclusively.

The trays were already very useful for big blocks of small infantry (e.g. Mortek Guards). And also made them look… proper.

I think it’s easier to accept once you approach this from the other side. Just assume that the models should stay in base-to-base contact but you are still allowed a bit of extra space if keeping them together is, for some reason, impossible.

3 minutes ago, Flippy said:

The trays were already very useful for big blocks of small infantry (e.g. Mortek Guards). And also made them look… proper.

I think it’s easier to accept once you approach this from the other side. Just assume that the models should stay in base-to-base contact but you are still allowed a bit of extra space if keeping them together is, for some reason, impossible.

Totally fair! Treating it like a rank & flank game with some wiggle room is def the intent GW is going for, but I think I still prefer the older way. I do agree that movement trays are phenomenal for big units, but I prefer the view of more elite units having space between 'em

From my point of view, the best answer to coherency topic is the way warma works... A range mesured from the unit leader, and you just have to keep all the unit members within it...

I also don't like the 1/2"... In the end it feels like playing ToW with blocks

I really like the rest of changes from this article

Edited by Frodorowski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

I mean they had already shrunk to 1” by AoS2 so they were already going up those Stormvault stairs in grouped warbands. 😄

IMG_3217.png?ex=66328098&is=66200b98&hm=

So a little bit closer isn’t that big a deal for most stuff to still be mobile blocks of blobs that can adjust themselves to the terrain, swarming in narrow choke points, spreading out on battlements & piling into the enemy.

Mostly just hope they’re smart for the units that do need it like giving it to key words like Ward has now so it’s “Wings(1” Coh)”, “Spectral(1” Coh)”, “Monster(3” Coh)”.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Yeah, this combined with the lose of save stacking means lots of casualties per fight. There will be so many casualties that battleshock wasn't needed anymore. They are very focussed on making the game play quickly.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I love it!

19 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

I mean they had already shrunk to 1” by AoS2 so they were already going up those Stormvault stairs in grouped warbands. 😄

IMG_3217.png?ex=66328098&is=66200b98&hm=

So a little bit closer isn’t that big a deal for most stuff to still be mobile blocks of blobs that can adjust themselves to the terrain, swarming in narrow choke points, spreading out on battlements & piling into the enemy.

Mostly just hope they’re smart for the units that do need it like giving it to key words like Ward has now so it’s “Wings(1” Coh)”, “Spectral(1” Coh)”, “Monster(3” Coh)”.

Ah! I must have houseruled that so hard that I completely forgot it was 1" in 2.0, ahahaha

01.jpg.8ce2fc672168f0a06e6615ba62df952a.jpg

As a Kharadron Overlords player, this rules is AWESOME. yes, all my untis are ranged units, but I asked for this since first edition and I'm glad to see it.

It hits right between strategy, fluff and of course, the fun of playing AoS. And that's exactly what I want.

1 hour ago, Flippy said:

I’m generally with GW on this. Long lines and loose blobs begone.

I'm 100% with this. A los of space between units means a lot more opportunities to make plays. Grouped up units is fine even if it will be hard in the first games.

I still miss something that promotes charging, even if your unit doesn't have a weapon with the charge USR.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I love it!

I don't know. A unit of three Kroxigors can obliterate units of 10-20 models with ease. From what we currently know it's much better to have loads of MSU instead of big units.

2 hours ago, Luperci said:

tbf I imagine in-universe, melusai are very quick, the only thing it wouldn't make sense for to me is like, a nighthaunt, how do you touch a ghost, let alone turn it to crystal. In terms of health characteristics, imagine it like the melusai can't overpower creatures with a more vital lifeforce? That's how I interpret it, outside of game balance stuff

It is "magic", why not turn into glass a ghost?

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

I don't know. A unit of three Kroxigors can obliterate units of 10-20 models with ease. From what we currently know it's much better to have loads of MSU instead of big units.

There'll still be abilities like nagash has or the stormcast core faction trait that lets you bring back whole units that will give an incentive to take reinforced units of expensive stuff

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

Not only beefy, the damage output is immense. You really want to avoide these with your 1-2 wound units as they will obliterated.

Well, it is accurate to what would happen if they face such beasts.

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It is "magic", why not turn into glass a ghost?

Yeah, like there was a story of the NightHaunt chasing retreating Beastclaw Raiders too deep into their Everwinter which even freezed their ethereal souls solid and the Ogors ate them like spooky popsicles.

And the dark waters in Ulgu’s Harrowdeep can even Drown the ghosts in the flavor texts.

The Mortal Realms are wreathed in powerful crystallized magic down to grass and water(which is magic mists that settled).

So that kind of stuff is all on an equal playing field the whole setting is so over the top “that nothing’s special”, even endless hordes of screaming ghosts & spectral daemons.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, AquaRegis said:

Theres always a disconnect between the lore and the tabletop and for the sake of rules balance and gameplay thats probaly for the best. 
Stormcast are literally fully covered in enchanted armour, so random goblins with sticks, steelhelm swords, skeleton spears, Dryad Stick hands and hell, even Darkoath swords should just slide off the armour. Some Goblin swinging a sword at a Ghost should do absolutly nothing, but that would just ruin balance in the game. 

But even with that, they are being as accurate as possible, IMO. Obvs in order to keep it balanced you cannot go 100% lore friendly, but I love what I saw so far.

7 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

Please god no, unless this will speed up Thunderer shooting. 

Edited! Btw, I'm with you that 5 diferent weapons with their own special rules is not the best experience to have.