The Rumour Thread

26 minutes ago, 01rtb01 said:

I really don't like the parchment on them. That's very much a space marine visual cue for me and I don't like it.

The stormcast I've seen so far I genuinely dislike and to date, liked everything from 2.0 and 3.0. the new libs, these from today, hard pass.

TBF even the 1st ed SCE had parchment on them.

• Like 7

Aesthetic wise SCE are evolving to space marines. Compare the AoS 1 SCE and these. The evolution is clear. Paint him red and you have a Blood angel with power axe and stormshield. 🙂

That said, I really like these. Very cool mini's.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

Their purpose also doesn't match their aesthetic. They're supposed to remind the SC of their humanity, but they just look like monks draped in bible passages. They should be holding trinkets, pets, or themselves be recognizable elements of the SC's life. Like what if one of the memorians was just their kid? It would be more impactful and drive home the cost of their affliction.

that's a great point, I do like the IDEA behind these attendants, but the vibe/look is a bit too gothic for their intended purpose for sure.

33 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

The writing was on the wall with the changes to Imperial Guard, errm I mean, CoS. I bet they're thinking since Space Marines are successful they gotta space marine it up with new grimdark SCE. Hence the "Sigmar lied" trailer and announcing the ruination chamber. 

the only problem with this is that we've had writers tell us GW did this in 1e before allowing those writers to actually give Stormcast better/different characterization.

12 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

AoS has a lot more variation when it comes to religious design becuase of the larger pantheon that is allowed to be worshipped by the different peoples and at the end of the day when Sigmar is a God King then we are going to have fhis ollowers that we want to be able to be instantly recognised as priests.

And that’s why we have to use hooded monks in brown robes with braziers and scripture scrolls? This is almost as bad as the „witch hunter in a witch hunter’s hat” trope. 

• Thanks 1

I hoped for something Else with the New Stormcast.

They Look way to much Like Dark Angels and Black Templars. Feels Like a cheap Copy for me with all These religious Scrolls and the Mini is so busy Overall. I prefer the more Roman asthetik ( Stormstrike Chariot, Praetors) than the religious temple knight Theme. 

But there are enough stormcast Minis anyways so i am Happy to skip a few. Maybe These Guys with a different head on a mighty steed could Change my opinion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

Their purpose also doesn't match their aesthetic. They're supposed to remind the SC of their humanity, but they just look like monks draped in bible passages. They should be holding trinkets, pets, or themselves be recognizable elements of the SC's life. Like what if one of the memorians was just their kid? It would be more impactful and drive home the cost of their affliction.

That’s what I‘ll do. Great idea.

• Like 1

I reaaly, reaaly like these new Stormcast.

L absolute love that they are covered in stuff, scrolls, capes, chains a tabaard... they are just loaded with stuff and it makes them so much cooler to look at compared to the Liberators (and Vindictors tbh) whcih are just kinda boring to me.

Minor complaints, the attendants are kind of so-so, I like them they just don't really feel all that neccesary. Also I was kind of hoping that Ruination would be a little wierder than this. Obviously we still have time to see more stuff but their lack of humanity isn't really coming across on the model.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kronos said:

It did have a decent model back in the day.

IMG_0612.jpeg

Total war Azazel is one of the most improved designs that CA pulled off. It could be so cool to see him again in AoS.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Flippy said:

So does his chapter, but still… they (and Black Templars, I guess) were here first and it’s a bold move to approach this design territory with “totally-not-SM” AoS faction.

I guess Fantasy were before their chapters... so who copied who? It is just nonsense to start this conversation. If you look at it as something from 40k is because you are deeper in 40k (or you have more references from 40k) than from AoS, IMO. It feets the Cults Umberogen without a problem for AoS. It is similar to Zenestra and their palanquin guys.

About the purpose of the new CoS minis, I think this one fits perfectly what it was thought for:

image.png.d2531f0c4cbb8898dbe2712fdbf28be8.png

A light in the darkness with a lot of notes where the Reclusian can read about his deeds, past and anything necessary to bring it back. Something like the pos-its that those that have Alzehimer put everywhere to remember stuff.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dukeus said:

They Look way to much Like Dark Angels and Black Templars. Feels Like a cheap Copy for me with all These religious Scrolls and the Mini is so busy Overall. I prefer the more Roman asthetik ( Stormstrike Chariot, Praetors) than the religious temple knight Theme. 

But there are enough stormcast Minis anyways so i am Happy to skip a few. Maybe These Guys with a different head on a mighty steed could Change my opinion.

Yeah, they need lightning effects! Cracking weapons, glowy eyes, carried aloft by lightning. Instead they're just slightly more religious. 

I feel there's a disconnect between the models and the lore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I guess Fantasy were before their chapters... so who copied who? It is just nonsense to start this conversation. If you look at it as something from 40k is because you are deeper in 40k (or you have more references from 40k) than from AoS, IMO. It feets the Cults Umberogen without a problem for AoS. It is similar to Zenestra and their palanquin guys.

Well, I think it‘s entirely fair to say SM/40k were/was first in that regard.  

But since SM are themselves based on classic knights and their entourage, the point is kinda moot. It could also be a nod to Bretonnians or RL if you wanted to but it‘s clear as day that GW wants Fantasy marines.

Which is totally fine as long as other armies don‘t suffer too much from GW focusing on them as was the case in 40k. I‘d say it has gotten a lot better there as well and I‘d also say that SC got way too much (hence the nuke) but hey, at least the updates are good.

the 4th ed box will be difficult to not get. Skaven look perfect so far and the new SC stuff is sexy once again, much like in 3rd‘s box.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

About the purpose of the new CoS minis, I think this one fits perfectly what it was thought for:

image.png.d2531f0c4cbb8898dbe2712fdbf28be8.png

A light in the darkness with a lot of notes where the Reclusian can read about his deeds, past and anything necessary to bring it back. Something like the pos-its that those that have Alzehimer put everywhere to remember stuff.

I dunno if this would be the best way to remember (an open flame so close to the SC’s diary seems like a surefire (I’m not sorry) way to lose those notes) but he‘s at the very least adding a ton of style points!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

The asthetik fits well in AoS. Thats true. I always find it a bit Out of place in 40k. Why play SciFi If you Paint Knights with swords in the end.

But since GW has this theme now implemented in 40k and its Well selling there i personaly find it a bit boring to have the same in AoS as Well. I would prefer to differentiate them more from space marines Not make them more similare. 

But i understand why people Like it

37 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

If you look at it as something from 40k is because you are deeper in 40k (or you have more references from 40k) than from AoS, IMO. It feets the Cults Umberogen without a problem for AoS. It is similar to Zenestra and their palanquin guys.

This would be convenient, would it not? I’ve never bought or painted a single Space Marine in my life and I was always deep in WHFB and AoS - yet this aesthetic is clearly WH40k to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flippy said:

This would be convenient, would it not? I’ve never bought or painted a single Space Marine in my life and I was always deep in WHFB and AoS - yet this aesthetic is clearly WH40k to me.

That doesn't mean you are not familiar with that. If you show the minis to someone that is not aware of a single 40k mini they won't look 40k to them. That's what I mean. For example, to me they look more Empire Flagellants like than 40k.

3 hours ago, DeLewko said:

In todays gw stream they are painting new skaven and stormcast if you want to check them out 😊

IMG_4465.png

2 hours ago, HCMistborn said:

Looking at the miniatures they are painting on the stream, the scale between the new clan rats and the new Liberators is exactly what I hoped for. 

Couldnt agree more.

I LOVE THE SCALE.

It is perfect and fits so damn well its my favourite thing Ive yet seen from 4.0.

Just imagining the scale of new Ogor minis makes my mouth water.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I dunno if this would be the best way to remember (an open flame so close to the SC’s diary seems like a surefire (I’m not sorry) way to lose those notes) but he‘s at the very least adding a ton of style points!

"wear the hood" they said. "it looks cool!" they said. but you stumble over ONE rock and suddenly it's MY fault for burning half of peepaw's memoirs...

• Haha 13

2 hours ago, Dukeus said:

I like the new gothic Dark Fantasy style for these stormcast, but I do kind of agree. 

I really enjoyed the Romano-Greek art deco aesthetic of some of the early AOS art, and it's a shame to see some of it phased out. The old decorated bases and 1ed terrain is all gone now. 

That being said, the dark fantasy visuals alongside that does work very well, even If it's partially die to the success of games like Elden ring and Dark souls. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

That doesn't mean you are not familiar with that. If you show the minis to someone that is not aware of a single 40k mini they won't look 40k to them. That's what I mean. For example, to me they look more Empire Flagellants like than 40k.

They would probably fit pretty well with the Cities of Sigmar units, which is probably intentional. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Flippy said:

They are good. A bit fancy and generally in line with the most recent Stormcast: Annihilators, Praetors etc. It is funny, though... the "easy to paint" argument was raised time and time again with regard to SCE - and here we are, with Reclusians in the starter box.

To be fair, these are the extraordinary elites. Indomitus also featured the rather busy-looking Bladeguard Veterans despite Space Marines also fitting the easy-to-paint bill. 

• Like 2