The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

As much as I'd love this, I doubt it.  We've not seen scenery in a starter box for years.

Not proper scenery. But don’t you have the set with the small mat and a foldable structure to place on it? And didn’t they do the same for 40k recently? 

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Not proper scenery. But don’t you have the set with the small mat and a foldable structure to place on it? And didn’t they do the same for 40k recently? 

You do have the mat and scenery sets available (and good value/quality too), I was referring more to scenery in a starter set (i.e. one containing rules).  If you go back far enough you used to get a few ruins in 40k :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

Or cardboard buildings in Fantasy. ?

Oh I have parts of those lying around I think. Dang, that was a long time ago. Totally forgot about them. Wasn't it a bretonnian vs something set?Wasn't that also the starter set with book, dice, templates measure stick (of which I still use two!, it's quite hard to run into a measuring anything in Holland with inches on them)

Irc the medium AoS's starter box (the one that comes without the Celestant) comes with something like that, a paper mat and the box itself is used as scenery.  GW could do the same but it looks like they do it with the medium boxes (40k did the same)

36 minutes ago, Dragobeth said:

Irc the medium AoS's starter box (the one that comes without the Celestant) comes with something like that, a paper mat and the box itself is used as scenery.  GW could do the same but it looks like they do it with the medium boxes (40k did the same)

Aye, but I expect we won't see a smaller and a medium sized starter right from the beginning, but a bit down the line, when everyone already has bought the big box. The smaller ones are tailored more for beginners and as upgrades with a more utilitarian rule book. Usually, the big box is primarily aimed at existing players offering a point for a secondary army, an expansion of existing ones, or a way to bring in a friend through sharing the box contend, giving the newbe a starting army and the veteran an expansion or a secondary army. 

10 hours ago, Chikout said:

I think it is highly likely that the starter set will be the previewed minis including the two wizards. The dark imperium box set had two identical sprues for the primaris and death guard. This box looks like it will be the same. If you look at the sequitors, castigators, chainmail horde and not undead Skaven,  they are all made up of pairs of identical miniatures.

Also in the Warhammerfest displays there were alternative sculpts of most of the minis. There was an alternative nighthaunt wizard with the same mask but a different lantern. There was an alternative lord executioner, a male knight Incantor and alternative version of all the stormcast units including the warmarchine with different crew. 

The only models without duplicates are the two big mounted guys.

Unfortunately that does mean we will get a couple of understrength units. I think GW will probably do some easy to build sets to fill out these units.

I guess (if we keep the 3-5-10 units strength we usually have) that we'll get 1 Lord-Arcanum on chocobo, 1 Knight-Incantor (female), 3 Evocator, 10 Sequitors, 5 Castigators, 1 Celestar Ballista with 2 male servants. 

The Nighthaunt : 1  mounted KoS, 1 Lord Executioner with gallow (the other version, probably a clampack, can either have an hourglass or a pointing finger as his left hand), 5 not-Skaven wraith, 4 (or 5 ?) new Cairn Wraith, 20 Chainsraps ghosts, 1 Spirit Torment, and I guess, if the Lady Knight-Incantor, 1 Guardian of Soul (from picture related). 

So Order (22-23) + Death (33-34) = 55-57 models. That's pretty good. And let's hope the Core Book is in the starter like Dark Imperium !!!

(NB : at WF were shown the same kits in the "multi part" version and in Hallowed Knights colors (like the Retributors, the Evocators seem to be 3 in the starter, 5 in the normal kit). 

Nighthaunt_Army 1.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chikout said:

I think it is highly likely that the starter set will be the previewed minis including the two wizards. The dark imperium box set had two identical sprues for the primaris and death guard. This box looks like it will be the same. If you look at the sequitors, castigators, chainmail horde and not undead Skaven,  they are all made up of pairs of identical miniatures.

Also in the Warhammerfest displays there were alternative sculpts of most of the minis. There was an alternative nighthaunt wizard with the same mask but a different lantern. There was an alternative lord executioner, a male knight Incantor and alternative version of all the stormcast units including the warmarchine with different crew. 

The only models without duplicates are the two big mounted guys.

Unfortunately that does mean we will get a couple of understrength units. I think GW will probably do some easy to build sets to fill out these units.

Yeah all of that seems likely to me.  I don't mind the monopose I guess (though I would like a full unit), they weren't hard to change from the first box set.

I also very much hope the full book is in the box set.  They did it with Dark Imperium, so it can be done!

Okay, so completely ignoring the picture where somebody stitched together all the GW current released photos and called it a starter set leak, it's probably still safe bet that a new starter is coming. I wonder if we'll see the three tiered starter set of tiny, medium and huge. Dark Imperium came out with three and they even relased Thunder and Blood to retroactively give AoS the same thing. If the medium and huge have odd sized units for troops(something GW seems fond of in starter sets for what ever reason), hopefully they will also follow the same pattern in the mini starter that has some complementary odd sizes. Of course the issue with that and the individula easy to build boxes is that they always have an extra sergeant you don't need.

3 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

(NB : at WF were shown the same kits in the "multi part" version and in Hallowed Knights colors (like the Retributors, the Evocators seem to be 3 in the starter, 5 in the normal kit). 

Nighthaunt_Army 1.jpg

Could link to it because I can't find it 

22 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Sometimes people don't take a double turn when they could, but had anyone ever chosen to give their opponents a double turn?

Lets say you are playing death, and you get some killer spell rolls to give your opponents units -2 to hit, -2 bravery, -2 attacks, and you have a unit that was buffed by damned terrain for +1 to hit . Especially if you are in a bunch of combats that you know are in your favor now, why not allow your opponent the double turn, which could lead to you getting a double turn, rather than give up all your buffs to take one turn, which could lead to your opponent getting two?

Its a rare case, but if the game is going well for you its better to let your opponent take a double turn to set yourself up in the long game. 

Edited by WoollyMammoth
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Lets say you are playing death, and you get some killer spell rolls to give your opponents units -2 to hit, -2 bravery, -2 attacks, and you have a unit that was buffed by damned terrain for +1 to hit . Especially if you are in a bunch of combats that you know are in your favor now, why not allow your opponent the double turn, which could lead to you getting a double turn, rather than give up all your buffs to take one turn, which could lead to your opponent getting two?

Its a rare case, but if the game is going well for you its better to let your opponent take a double turn to set yourself up in the long game. 

It's always been my opinion that the most powerful use of the double turn is to deny your opponent good use of it, rather than just using it yourself. A good double turn is rough to go against, getting the double turn and doing nothing with it is a guaranteed loss.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:34 AM, Kramer said:

Oh I have parts of those lying around I think. Dang, that was a long time ago. Totally forgot about them. Wasn't it a bretonnian vs something set?Wasn't that also the starter set with book, dice, templates measure stick (of which I still use two!, it's quite hard to run into a measuring anything in Holland with inches on them)

Brettonian vs Lizardmen! Was my first starter set :)

It contained a card guard tower, house (which I unfortunatly don't have anymore) and a shack

• Like 2

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/18/18th-may-rules-preview-command-abilities-and-command-pointsgw-homepage-post-2/

It seems like the amount of command points you get for using command abilities is now tied to the amount of battalions you use in your game.

I have to say I am really disappointed by this change. 

Why not give every player the same amount of command points every turn? Now armies with access to a lot of battalions will be at advantage. I really liked the concept of command points as I have heard of it. But after this article I am seriously disappointed.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Infeston said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/18/18th-may-rules-preview-command-abilities-and-command-pointsgw-homepage-post-2/

It seems like the amount of command points you get for using command abilities is now tied to the amount of battalions you use in your game.

I have to say I am really disappointed by this change. 

Why not give every player the same amount of command points every turn? Now armies with access to a lot of battalions will be at advantage. I really liked the concept of command points as I have heard of it. But after this article I am seriously disappointed.

I was hoping that battalion costs would come down, but with this I think this might make their current costs more appropriate.

5 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

The wording seems to suggest you get one per turn regardless of battalions, and a battalion simply confirms one at the start of the game.

This. Battalions Warscrolls seem to give you a headstart, but each player will generate exactly one point in each turn regardless.

I do like the change in general, since now new heroes might become viable options (looking at you, Wight King). 

3 minutes ago, CaptainNippon said:

This. Battalions Warscrolls seem to give you a headstart, but each player will generate exactly one point in each turn regardless.

I do like the change in general, since now new heroes might become viable options (looking at you, Wight King). 

But even though it is at the start of the battle it still seems unfair to me. Even if it is only at the beginning of the game it is still an unfair advantage compared to other armies with no access to warscroll battalions.

1 minute ago, Infeston said:

But even though it is at the start of the battle it still seems unfair to me. Even if it is only at the beginning of the game it is still an unfair advantage compared to other armies with no access to warscroll battalions.

Oh, it is a disadvantage - definitely. The trade-off is that you are forced to buy and use a certain set of miniatures. It's driving sales and giving the player some additional benefit in return. I'm not too big of a fan either, but it's not a dealbreaker as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bsharitt said:

I was hoping that battalion costs would come down, but with this I think this might make their current costs more appropriate.

That will depend entirely on the stratagems for each grand alliance. 

Did I read this right - the general no longer gets his command ability for free... So its not like these command points are going to be firing off extra command abilities, you just are going to pick the one you want to go.  (assuming no battalions and you use 1 a turn)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1