The Rumour Thread

13 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Now choose 4 out of 5

I have a theory on this!

I think Saurus Knights will be the one unit that doesn't get a revamp and the skink riders will be the new cavalry. Going way back to 5th ed. the only cavalry Lizardmen had was skinks so this might be a course correction. I think RE pretty much confirms Kroxigor and Salamanders are in more need of rework (failcast, bought as singles, etc)

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll see a new big dino as the new Engine of the Gods - this is one of the coolest concepts in the Seraphon and leans heavily into the Aztec vibe, but its current form is extras on the (lovely but old) Stegadon sprue. 

My first ever box of models was the Lizardmen/Bret starter kit and I am sooooooo excited to pick up the scalies again!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NorthernNurgling said:

I have a theory on this!

I think Saurus Knights will be the one unit that doesn't get a revamp and the skink riders will be the new cavalry. Going way back to 5th ed. the only cavalry Lizardmen had was skinks so this might be a course correction. I think RE pretty much confirms Kroxigor and Salamanders are in more need of rework (failcast, bought as singles, etc)

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll see a new big dino as the new Engine of the Gods - this is one of the coolest concepts in the Seraphon and leans heavily into the Aztec vibe, but its current form is extras on the (lovely but old) Stegadon sprue. 

My first ever box of models was the Lizardmen/Bret starter kit and I am sooooooo excited to pick up the scalies again!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that remembers the old Skink cavalry 😅

And yeah I think the Saurus Knights probably get skipped over this time and redone at some point in the future. We know the Astrolith Bearer is coming, we're fairly certain about Salamanders and Kroxigor. I could see a nice big expensive centrepiece model rounding out the release as a very GW way to do things.

9 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Do you care to elaborate?

The 10th edition starter is rumoured to come in June with new genestealers. If that is true it's a bit of a cheap trick to encourage Tyranid players to buy a bunch of the old minis a few months before they get replaced by a better version. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chikout said:

The 10th edition starter is rumoured to come in June with new genestealers. If that is true it's a bit of a cheap trick to encourage Tyranid players to buy a bunch of the old minis a few months before they get replaced by a better version. 

Really? Where is this rumour from? All the rumours I've heard have been Nids. Including ones from sources who have apparently been correct most of the time.

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

And is entirely the kind of thing I'd expect GW to do.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

Really? Where is this rumour from? All the rumours I've heard have been Nids. Including ones from sources who have apparently been correct most of the time.

Genestealers are nids. 

In other news, did anyone notice this art? This what I meant when I said GW still had amazing artists. Screenshot_20230207-193038.png.72a1bf2a0a344280160c0035c06e500c.png

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

3 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Genestealers are nids. 

I detect some kind of Genestealer/Genestealer Cults misunderstanding happening here.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Genestealers are nids. 

In other news, did any notice this art? This what I meant when I said GW still had amazing artists. Screenshot_20230207-193038.png.72a1bf2a0a344280160c0035c06e500c.png

Ah think I missed the context of your post. I didn't realise you were talking about boarding actions box and thought you meant in general the starter for 10th was going to be a full Genestealer Cults (vs SMs) starter, rather than the rumoured Nids. My bad.

2 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

Ah think I missed the context of your post. I didn't realise you were talking about boarding actions box and thought you meant in general the starter for 10th was going to be a full Genestealer Cults (vs SMs) starter, rather than the rumoured Nids. My bad.

No problem. There are rumoured to be new purestrains as part of the Tyranid revamp, but maybe this box proves that rumour false. I still think any Tyranid player should wait and see what 10th brings. 

One of the things I liked about the Seraphon preview was that it included some of the old kits so anyone who's suddenly excited about Seraphon can buy those kits now without worrying about them being replaced or cut. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flippy said:

You are not missing anything. A long time ago GW decided to split the Undead army into Vampire Counts (aka the European, Dracula style flavour) and the Tomb Kings (aka the Middle-East, Mummy style flavour). Neither of them really served Nagash, but the Tomb Kings' thing was that they actively opposed him. Moreover, while the VC design was more traditional (zombies, necromancers, wolves, bats, wights), the TK used some standard kits (skeletons, skeleton cavalry, skeleton chariots) but also explored some new, fun directions (bone constructs, animated statues, scorpions). That was cool, I admit.

Now, the similar thing happened in the AoS, as the Legions of Nagash were split into: vampire army (this time with a bit more bestial and East Europe taste), ghost army, savage flesh-eaters and the OBR. The OBR are, in this perspective, a well organised, bone-themed army with some Middle-East vibe (though not nearly as strong as TK) that utilises bone constructs, is maintained by a special priest caste (Mortisans) and is led by a strong-willed genius level strategist, who is totally not Settra.

Are they different from TK? Yes, of course. But I would argue with Neil Arthur Hotep on the conclusion - I think that for most people their themes and design are too similar for both factions to exist in AoS. There are some armies form the WFB that were made into something very different (Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Dark Elves) and there is still a lot of space to build on original design. But the Tomb Kings and the High Elves are a different beasts and I believe there is no coming back here.

Oh! 

I completely agree that TK are perfect for Fantasy, they fit the pseudo-historian Fantasy setting and I'm happy that they remain part of The Old World. Btw, thanks for the answer!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Do you remember which old kits? (Monsters and flying Pterodactyls I assume?)

Yes. Troglodon, Stegadon, bastiladon and the Terradons. Whitefang has strongly suggested that skinks aren't getting an update so the start collecting skink box is still a good buy. I'm tempted by it myself. I just really want to see a cities of Sigmar mini before I chose my 2023 army. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

How many new Orruks kits are going to receive? more than 4?

Wyvern boss dual kit.

New Boarboys

Plastic Prophet

Redesign morboys to look like the wolverine orruk from the underworlds warband. Or a new enraged/ berserk orruk unit.

Big monster, some kind of bone spirit/ incarnate type unit maybe?

At least 5 would be great imho.

I think Ironjaws are fine but could use a new unit or two to freshen things up a bit.

10 hours ago, Chikout said:

So, a preposterous thought occurs. The imperial guard army box launched more than 2 before the codex. They did a preview video at an event in  which didn't show all the minis but then previewed one kit a week on Warhammer community until the pre-order of the army set. The army set came out in November which is Autumn but GW had the book down for winter in their road map. The slaves to Darkness army set also came out 2.5 months before the battletome. 

So here's my hot take. For the next 4 or 5 Mondays we are getting a Seraphon preview leading up to a pre-order of the army set in mid to late March, before any of the Spring AoS battletomes.

2.5 months later we are getting the battletome and the rest of the kits at the end of May or early June. It would explain why they are talking about Seraphon first and even showing rules already. Thoughts? 

This would be absolutely perfect!! Mate this is an excellent and quite likely idea!! We wont have long to wait to find out if it holds true either as on Monday we will have confirmation.

9 hours ago, LordSolarMach said:

Science-aside: while having been cemented in pop-culture as one of the most recognisable prehistoric animals (alongside T-Rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Pterodactyl,* etc), Dimetrodon were not dinosaurs. They were not even sauropsids, but synapsids (ie stem mammals).

*Pterodactyl were also not dinosaurs, but pterosaurs, which were at least more closely related to dinosaurs.

breakingbad-science.gif

• Like 2

Another day, another beautiful seraphon rumour engine.

I think this is something skink-y, I think they have feathers more often than saurus. Judging by the thickness of the highlights, they also seem to be rather small. Maybe skink crew on a new big dino? Or part of a new salamander hunting pack?

Edited by GenericEdgyName
Ooops, sorry, didn't notice @Grungnisson posted that already
  • LOVE IT! 1

43 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Yes. Troglodon, Stegadon, bastiladon and the Terradons. Whitefang has strongly suggested that skinks aren't getting an update so the start collecting skink box is still a good buy. I'm tempted by it myself. I just really want to see a cities of Sigmar mini before I chose my 2023 army. 

Technically speaking if you are buying from 3rd parties with a discount it is cheaper to get Carno/Trog kits in the Seraphon box than it is to buy it separately, so that box is oddly still good even with the old models if you want the big dino.