The Rumour Thread

Listen, all I’m saying is there’s lots of completely fictional monsters, including the shape shifting variety, that GW can steal and remarket as their own IP.

im really confused by the sudden investment in using a particular label in a faction that doesn’t actually exist??

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Ill also be Gargantually annoyed if they manage to destroy the Fort. Give Destruction a win for once.

Oh siege doesn’t mean destroy it but just contain the defenders. Similar to Katakros besieging the Eight-Points that became a stalemate as Death just establishes footholds there.

It’s got those massive rings of trenchworks that spread out for miles. More than enough area for the other 3 Alliances to capture and build their fiefdoms among the trenches and take advantage of the land’s defenses.

(possible Ogor mercs the settlements want could account for new Maneaters too)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Sahrial said:

Listen, all I’m saying is there’s lots of completely fictional monsters, including the shape shifting variety, that GW can steal and remarket as their own IP.

im really confused by the sudden investment in using a particular label in a faction that doesn’t actually exist??

Oh, I got no skin in the game. I just think ideally we shouldn't always assume the worst if something isn't worded or named ideally. You know, just trying to find a decent common ground where people try to be sensitive but not get painted in a very negative light if they say something that could be misunderstood. And that's easy in a setting full of war. War itself is offensive to anyone who had to endure it and yet here we play war. Not trying to start something here but ultimately these things could also be seen as an homage because they simply thought it's cool. I mean it sounds like a pretty cool starting point for a new faction.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

@zilberfridWithout using the "native american ones" skinchangers existed in norse myths as Ulfhednar\berserkr (is not the same but the whole idea of lycantrophy is changing the skin,many european countries got something like that) so they could just expand them like the old chaos skinwolves....the native myths are also more different and not just "skinchangers" but more like some possession monster.

Also imho destruction has to expand with new "greenskins lookalike" from folklore and mythical lookalike that mesh wells with the old "ogre+troll+orcs+goblins" idea (every country got some legends about impish and brutish creatures).
We got 8 realms the greenskin\Troggoths and Ogor should have adapted in some way like Krulez did.
Liking also the idea of some species native to ghur like Birdmen or barbarian tribes.

It can absolutely be done well. I'd even say GW is better than Rowling, so if they do their own take on this, they want it heavily copyrightable after all

Destruction's angle is actually nature. Its not a coincidence that Kragnos is the god of earthquakes.

Order seeks to bring order, bending the realms to their wills (even allarielle commands the woods).
Chaos seeks to pervert and corrupt the realms in service to their dark masters as part of the great game to one-up the others.

Death seeks to end life.

The forces of destruction are often referred to like natural disasters. Unpredictable and devastating leaving only ruin in their wake, and the armies themselves are driven by forces that are unpredictable and/or primal. Ogors are essentially giant humanoid locusts, and orruks grow and reproduce through combat. Gargants are massive, and require tons of food as well, while grots are like rabid scavengers, opportunistic and quick to sense weakness.
The reason destruction gets flak for being the "npc enemy" is because its by design, they're basically the realm's way of fighting back against those who seek to tame them.
If destruction wants to expand it should follow the themes, and a new force that truly embraces it would be fantastic. A firebelly themed ogor expansion could represent volcanos, but chaos dwarves could potentially fit in here too (with a bit of reinvention from the classic iteration). An army of elementals would probably be destruction at its most pure (An all incarnate army?) but there are other avenues of natural disasters that could be explored too. Floods (grots?), hurricanes, famines, droughts, wildfires, "wild" beasts etc. depending on how literal or metaphorical you take the concept destruction has a lot of space to explore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sahrial said:

Brodd asked a question about the context of whether something they said was offensive.

i just gave context.

D&D doing something problematic with optional monster and lore is neither the same as, or grounds to make it acceptable for, GW to do something culturally appropriative and misrepresentative.

im not against the theme design by any means but we can just call them werewolves or lycanthropes or something entirely unrelated to the real world terminology and lore.

My apologies @Sahrial, I thought you were reprimanding His Royal Swoleness @KingBrodd for posting a wish of his, and was merely using DND as a point of reference regarding Fantasy Games and the use of culture. I also thank @MitGas for standing by me in this debate, and wish that he is not demonetized for sticking by a fellow Tzeentchian. Here’s hoping we get some wonderful news in two days time.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

My apologies @Sahrial, I thought you were reprimanding His Royal Swoleness @KingBrodd for posting a wish of his, and was merely using DND as a point of reference regarding Fantasy Games and the use of culture. I also thank @MitGas for standing by me in this debate, and wish that he is not demonetized for sticking by a fellow Tzeentchian. Here’s hoping we get some wonderful news in two days time.

Demonize me all you want, folks, but don't demonetize me, I really need the cash, there's too much stuff I wanna buy! 🤣 ;)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

It can absolutely be done well. I'd even say GW is better than Rowling, so if they do their own take on this, they want it heavily copyrightable after all

I think they’d do fine on it. Already got creative shape-shifters like the Dove maidens of Neos in Ghyran 

image0.jpg

(Looking back at the older Corebooks I appreciate how much world building they did that the current tomes use like the new Sylvaneth map references those mentions like Erosia and it’s sap volcanoes

Everspring_Swathe_map_01.jpg

)

• Like 4

What about an army of golems that turned against their creator and want to destroy everything. Sounds like a thing that would fit into Destruction.

Would also still like a the Witcher style army of Crones/ Nekkers and all those kind of swampy creepy monsters that give little kids nightmares that dont fit into a Death theme.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DinoJon said:

From Matt Thrower on twitter who did an interview with a GW design team member. 

Seems like more confirmation of non-chaos warbands. 

20220802_235236.jpg

Its good to see them mentioning that they are switching up gears. Excited to see what they will put out. Recent stuff has been great imho. My mind is also still blown by the free Warcry content. 

2 hours ago, DinoJon said:

20220802_235236.jpg

As much as some people are dying for spiderfang or Seraphon, I kind of hope that there are some new destruction warbands that are completely new in the way the chaos warbands were. Seeing the Unmade warband for the first time was a genuine WTF moment. I'd love to have that again. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DinoJon said:

20220802_235236.jpg

Love to see it.

14 minutes ago, Chikout said:

As much as some people are dying for spiderfang or Seraphon, I kind of hope that there are some new destruction warbands that are completely new in the way the chaos warbands were. Seeing the Unmade warband for the first time was a genuine WTF moment. I'd love to have that again. 

I agree. Something so out of left field would be very welcome.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DinoJon said:

20220802_235236.jpg

I do feel like they could do some more headline minis and terrain, something set in Greywater Fastness would be very cool for example.

14 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

GW would need to avoid semblance to the real world mythicism better than Rowling, but I think GW has moved away from the times of Pigmies and slave girls and they might be less offensive.

What does this have to do with Rowling?

Edited by derpherp

On 8/3/2022 at 11:38 AM, derpherp said:

Some people just try and cancel everything and everyone nowadays, Rowling included. Im getting tired of it. 

(Maybe im just getting old XD)

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 5
  • Confused 8

7 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

People try to cancel everything and everyone nowadays, Rowling included. Im getting tired of it. 

(Maybe im just getting old XD)

I have to admit I am pretty burned out on the witch hunting. It's just too exhausting to try push back.

The vilification and demonization of Rowling has been pretty rough to watch. Just grotesque. Not to mention the death threats and stalking she has gotten. Seeing people post books about how to make home made bombs along with her address is the least of it.

There are some truly disgusting people out there. 

but apparently she "deserves" this.

Eamrlc0UcAAS_Eb?format=jpg&name=large

EamrmEIU0AA76Ii?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by derpherp
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, derpherp said:

Rowling has gone off the deep end a bit. She wrote nice books, but has fallen in with terfs, and if you look a bit closer, those nice books and their films had some rougher edges.

She lumped all native North American beliefs into a single caricature to fit her world, which is overlaid on ours (much like the old Warhammer world was).

If you use the real world, and put caricatures of real people in it, you can expect some pushback.

Now I fully expect GW to do better, because they want to make it unique enough to copyright it.

Let's leave Rowling (sorry I brought her up) and focus on GW.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 14
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, derpherp said:

I have to admit I am pretty burned out on the witch hunting. It's just too exhausting to try push back.

The vilification and demonization of Rowling has been rough to watch.

Lol. Rowling deserves it. She recently sided with a literal self described fascist, I dunno what more it’ll take for some people to get that she’s a bad egg. 

Edit: seeing as others have edited their posts after the mod warning:

I don’t think she deserves death threats, obviously. She does deserve the backlash she’s getting though, and considering she’s a millionaire bigot with a huge platform directing hate at an already marginalised group who face a high level of actual violence, I don’t have too much sympathy for her here. 

Edited by Still-young
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1