The Rumour Thread

Firestorm ho! Rock on Greywater Fastness allegiance! :D

Firestorm is a new way to play Warhammer Age of Sigmar, allowing you and your friends to battle for supremacy in map-based campaigns. As you win battles, you’ll be able to capture territories and build a kingdom of your own, adding powerful gameplay benefits to your army. Inside the box, you’ll find the campaign map, decks of dominion cards for each player and stickers to mark your impact on the Realm of Fire – all of these are fully reusable, meaning after one Firestorm campaign you’re free to set up another one. There are unique strategic challenges to map-based play for gamers, while for narrative players this is an easy way to structure a campaign. Firestorm has been designed to be compatible with any kind of play – you can fight your battles in tense games of Skirmish or try the new siege rules from the General’s Handbook 2017, or even string them together to create varied, rich, and thematic games.

PreviewSep17-Firestorm4krcba.jpg

There’s more! Firestorm comes with 10 new allegiance abilities representing the unique armies of the Great Cities and those who would tear them down. The Great Cities are the kingdoms of Order in the Mortal Realms, each home to a unique and varied collection of humans, elves, duardin and Stormcast Eternals. You may remember some of them from the Season of War campaign, such as the Greywater Fastness, others you may have already explored, like Hammerhal, while some are completely new, like Tempest’s Eye. The new allegiance abilities are designed to represent how these cities fight; the forces of the Phonecium, for instance, are inspired to fight harder by the deaths of their comrades, honouring the Ur-Phoenix, while the armies of Anvilgard crush their foes underfoot in relentless marches. We’ll be previewing some of these next week in detail – what’s more, these are usable in any of your games, not just Firestorm!

To get you started with your Great Cities army, we’re releasing 3 new boxed sets of miniatures. Each of these is packed with a range of models from the Order Grand Alliance, as well as a rules sheet to let you use your Great Cities rules in your games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/17/firestorm-the-armies-of-the-great-cities-and-the-elite-of-the-death-guard/

• Like 5

Really curious about those new allegiances in firestorm. They appear to be mix of multiple factions that don't share keywords (if those boxes and texts are any indication) really interested to see how that works (it could also explain the lack of high elf/moonclan/etc armies from ghb17). Also though I don't have high hopes for it, now if ever would be good time to boost those scourge privateers warscrolls a bit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Firestorm ho! Rock on Greywater Fastness allegiance! :D

Firestorm is a new way to play Warhammer Age of Sigmar, allowing you and your friends to battle for supremacy in map-based campaigns. As you win battles, you’ll be able to capture territories and build a kingdom of your own, adding powerful gameplay benefits to your army. Inside the box, you’ll find the campaign map, decks of dominion cards for each player and stickers to mark your impact on the Realm of Fire – all of these are fully reusable, meaning after one Firestorm campaign you’re free to set up another one. There are unique strategic challenges to map-based play for gamers, while for narrative players this is an easy way to structure a campaign. Firestorm has been designed to be compatible with any kind of play – you can fight your battles in tense games of Skirmish or try the new siege rules from the General’s Handbook 2017, or even string them together to create varied, rich, and thematic games.

PreviewSep17-Firestorm4krcba.jpg

There’s more! Firestorm comes with 10 new allegiance abilities representing the unique armies of the Great Cities and those who would tear them down. The Great Cities are the kingdoms of Order in the Mortal Realms, each home to a unique and varied collection of humans, elves, duardin and Stormcast Eternals. You may remember some of them from the Season of War campaign, such as the Greywater Fastness, others you may have already explored, like Hammerhal, while some are completely new, like Tempest’s Eye. The new allegiance abilities are designed to represent how these cities fight; the forces of the Phonecium, for instance, are inspired to fight harder by the deaths of their comrades, honouring the Ur-Phoenix, while the armies of Anvilgard crush their foes underfoot in relentless marches. We’ll be previewing some of these next week in detail – what’s more, these are usable in any of your games, not just Firestorm!

None of my mats or terrain are set in the Realm of Fire.

vader_NOOOO.jpg

Edited by Mr. White
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Mr. White said:

There is plenty of scope for non-volcanic geography :)

Some told me that there are snow and lce regions in the realm of fire. How is this possible? I thought the realm of fire had lava wastelands everywhere.

There are, yes. As one draws away towards the interior of each realm, the environment becomes less extreme, overall. Think of the realms like big hurricanes of raw magic - the closer you get to the eye of the storm, the calmer things get - though it's a deceptive calm, as it's still a part of the storm.

Places like the lava wastelands in Aqshy, or the eternal deserts in Shyish, are on the ever-shifting borderlands between the storm and the eye, where the natural environment starts to fray and warp out of shape. Magic is easier to manipulate there, allowing for the quick construction of cities such as Excelsis, which in turn allows for the imposition of stability on the environment, as these unnatural wildernesses are tamed.

(source: https://ask.fm/JoshMReynolds/answers/141802846175)

• Like 3

Actually I'm interested what the box will bring us. First I thought it will only be a GW-Campaign like Season of War. I think we could be glad for every form of Material we can get.

12 hours ago, Mr. White said:

vader_NOOOO.jpg

I'm familiar with the problem. My terrain is painted in some sort of wastelandstyle , what could perhaps fit for Ghur, Shyish or perhaps Aqshy or Chamon, but my story actually plays mostly in Ghyran -_-.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Nice. Finally something for the more underdeveloped forces out there.

The underdeveloped ORDER forces it seems. GW was clarifying that out of the 10 new traits, there would be 7 for order and then 1 for every other GA. 

They also said the trait from the city would stack with the trait of the allegiance... The cities would not get their own magic items/command traits, just one extra battle trait that is added to the battle traits your army already has. 

• Like 2

Interesting that the example allegiance shows free peoples for Anvilguard, when the cities box contains darkling coven.  Hammerhal is all Order bar Seraphon, so we can assume Anvilguard is more than just darkling or even free people.  Certainly more useable then rules only for the allegiances that come in the new boxed sets.  Bringing back mixed Order in a new and interesting way, after its slightly damp reforging in GHB2017.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elmir said:

The cities would not get their own magic items/command traits, just one extra battle trait that is added to the battle traits your army already has. 

Darn, I was hoping there be at least few new command traits to choose from. Having an army like Stormcast can amp up your expectations.

10 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Plus tons of lore for them.

Two - three pages per city? I can't see them allocating more space. 21 pages for background, maybe 10 - 15 for the rules, add some artwork/dioramas for a total sum of 40 pages?  

Edited by Tiger

Aaaand there goes my hopes for firestorm... all I wanted was more fun allegiances, maybe some fun mixed forces but what do we get? Just more rules stacking. I mean what is that scourge privateers box supposed to be now? Order allegiance with scourge as main force and sce as allies and then some town bonus? I was genuinely gonna buy that set but now... meh just meh. 

Sorry to be all negative but I think gw really dropped the ball here. I'm still reserving my final judgement of this release but honestly, what a way to drop my excitement to zero. On more positive note, I can focus on my current projects more.

Edited by angrycontra

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Darn, I was hoping there be at least few new command traits to choose from. Having an army like Stormcast can amp up your expectations.

Two - three pages per city? I can't see them allocating more space. 21 pages for background, maybe 10 - 15 for the rules, add some artwork/dioramas for a total sum of 40 pages?  

This book to me looks far thicker than 40 pages.