The Rumour Thread

24 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Moving aside for one moment.

When lockdown ends the gw stores will operating on a different model moving forward even after all restrictions and social distancing regulation is lifted.

moving forward the stores will still do intro games and intro painting, but you can forget about using your local store for a game or to sit there doing hobby for an afternoon.

the whole move is to maximise the retail rather than community side, which currently they (gw) would prefer you to do at away from stores.

there isn’t a timeframe for this- essentially how long is a piece of string.

I was talking to a gw store manager today who is also a good friend and so this was from the horses mouth.

He was keen to emphasise that this strategy is all about ensuring the retail spaces are as profitable as possible in order to recruit new blood into the hobby and increase profile post pandemic.

anyway... back to blood suckers and centauroids looking at a sleeping mountain..

If true, this strikes me as a really dumb decision - likely made by GW execs who have never set foot in a store themselves outside of one of their big media events.

If I just want to buy models, paints, brushes, or whatever else, I can order them from a third party vendor or buy them at a non-GW LGS at better prices than I can get off the GW site or from my local Warhammer store.

The only reason I bother to go to the Warhammer store at all is to play games there. When I do so, I also choose to buy whatever models, paints, etc. I need in order to support the store, even though I'm paying extra for it. I want the store to do well so I can keep playing there. If the store isn't providing a place for me to meet up with people and play games, then I have no incentive to help them stay in business.

I don't need a local Warhammer store just to buy retail at inflated prices. It'd be a far better investment for me to drive the extra 5-10 minutes to a different store that does still allow me to play there to support their business instead.

Edited by l1censetochill
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

Honestly I feel like this is a bad move for GW.

Alot of us purchase from 3rd party for that juicy 15-25% off.

If they focused the stores on that 'community' aspect, I imagine they'd get a lot more people casually buying up stock whilst they're there.

I remember being a youngling and using my wee pocket money to buy up a fair few hobby tools and paints when sitting and hobbying in GW but now I barely go into one unless it's to pick up the occasional White Dwarf?

The only games I would pick up would be at my local GW too unless it was on my kitchen table with me brothers too and I learnt half I knew about painting from advice from some of the vets kicking around.

Hell, the busiest that place ever was looking back was on the 'beginner mornings' on a Saturday when a bunch of the young 'uns were kicking about playing together and I saw a meself fair amount of mams and das spending cash on new stuff bc little Timmy wanted some terminators for 'next week'

I guess we'll see if it pays off but idk, seems like a mad blow to try and get kids in but not offer them a place to hobby and game together.

Our thoughts exactly.

Im hoping that sales will reflect this- not so they are damaged, but a clear correlation between stores being community hubs  and increased sales.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, l1censetochill said:

If true, this strikes me as a really dumb decision - likely made by GW execs who have never set foot in a store themselves outside of one of their big media events.

If I just want to buy models, paints, brushes, or whatever else, I can order them from a third party vendor or buy them at a non-GW LGS at better prices than I can get off the GW site or from my local Warhammer store.

The only reason I bother to go to the Warhammer store at all is to play games there. When I do so, I also choose to buy whatever models, paints, etc. I need in order to support the store, even though I'm paying extra for it. I want the store to do well so I can keep playing there. If the store isn't providing a place for me to meet up with people and play games, then I have no incentive to help them stay in business.

I don't need a local Warhammer store just to buy retail at inflated prices. It'd be a far better investment for me to drive the extra 5-10 minutes to a different store that *does* still allow me to play there to support their business.

Agree.  I can understand it for the short term as they need all the space they can get to recruit, but i do hope they reconsider.

I always pay full rrp from my local, not only to support my friend, but also because i see it as the price worth paying to use his store to play a game and to interact with other gamers and hobbyists.

• Like 2

Kurnoth is buried under Wald, though he has awoken as of Dead Harvest. He too is looking to fully escape from his prison. But his people are not gone, Kurnothi live in the Realms.

Kragnos said he escaped a prison, probably Beastgrave, but his people are gone.

Silent People? They looked insect like, so not them.

There is a possibility for a very intelligent BoC,  just think of that albino lion headed beast-man called Ghosteater.  Quite a philosopher.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

When lockdown ends the gw stores will operating on a different model moving forward even after all restrictions and social distancing regulation is lifted.

moving forward the stores will still do intro games and intro painting, but you can forget about using your local store for a game or to sit there doing hobby for an afternoon.

the whole move is to maximise the retail rather than community side, which currently they (gw) would prefer you to do at away from stores.

I was talking to a gw store manager today who is also a good friend and so this was from the horses mouth.

He was keen to emphasise that this strategy is all about ensuring the retail spaces are as profitable as possible in order to recruit new blood into the hobby and increase profile post pandemic.

anyway... back to blood suckers and centauroids looking at a sleeping mountain..

This was the model when I started to move out of the hobby and a lot of things happened which  very quickly destroyed the sense of what GW was

I think it's no coincidence that GW have done so well the back few years with the move back to shop as community space and I'd be amazed if this dosent hit them

As I'm always saying though GW very obviously no better than most how to make money so I'm sure theres sound reasoning behind it from a profit perspective and wouldbt surprise me if they get it right again either

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Verminlord said:

Pretty sure that is a kurnothi and the rumour engine proves there are more on the way. The video is the new character speaking, not the kurnothi guy there. 

Actually no. 

The warhammer Tv twitter feed/facebook posted the video and captioned it "grab a glimpse at the next cover star in the Warhammer Age of Sigmar narrative"

Since it is called Broken Realms: Kragnos. The guy imaged in the video, IS Kragnos.

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 2

Do you think we will get a duel box and a few more bundle boxes for the teclis book revealed tomorrow at 6pm for preorder next saturday? Im assuming it will be like the morathi book. It would be a lot to release at the same time though if the lumineth are coming out with it all.

Edited by Svalack

6 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

Kurnoth is buried under Wald, though he has awoken as of Dead Harvest. He too is looking to fully escape from his prison. But his people are not gone, Kurnothi live in the Realms.

Kragnos said he escaped a prison, probably Beastgrave, but his people are gone.

Silent People? They looked insect like, so not them.

There is a possibility for a very intelligent BoC,  just think of that albino lion headed beast-man called Ghosteater.  Quite a philosopher.

Maybe GW tries the next thing in profit maximisation.

One model, Kragnos, for whatever an army should cost (so around £350 €450).

8 minutes ago, Svalack said:

Do you think we will get a duel box and a few more bundle boxes for the teclis book revealed tomorrow at 6pm for preorder next saturday? Im assuming it will be like the morathi book. It would be a lot to release at the same time though if the lumineth are coming out with it all.

I think that if there would be a duel box coming we would have known it by now. GW tends to advertise these in advance. Broken Realms combination boxes are still possible.

I see this new army taking Greek motifs. Kragnos sounds quite Greek tied with being a centaur I think it will be interesting, I could see a new destruction army taking the form of that more animalistic side of nature. Might threaten Alarielle a bit who decides to seek help of the Kurnothi who become the order counterpart, would be a good opportunity to modernise sylvaneth a bit. I know little lore though so this might make no sense. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

Also, are Kurnothi not far more popular design than a purely Ogroid army?

Personally beastial Minotaur/Centaur/Hellboy creatures are more interesting to me than Fae Aelves.

3 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

I see this new army taking Greek motifs. Kragnos sounds quite Greek tied with being a centaur I think it will be interesting, I could see a new destruction army taking the form of that more animalistic side of nature. Might threaten Alarielle a bit who decides to seek help of the Kurnothi who become the order counterpart, would be a good opportunity to modernise sylvaneth a bit. I know little lore though so this might make no sense. 

If this is a new Destruction army with Centaur and other hybrid animals I'll lose my mind. Alongside the Sons the idea of anthropomorphic bipedal animals has always been a hope for me. I know BOC sort of fill that niche but I want Rhino and Hippo Heavy Infantry type units.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

This would be very disappointing if true, though is there any chance that he got the wrong end of the stick? As in, GW said "we want to focus on getting new players into the hobby so make sure you always have two tables available for demo games, one for teaching new players to paint, and one for normal games" and in a form of Chinese Whispers it's been interpreted as the above?

If not, I can't imagine it will be a profitable move. So many people buy where they play, and if there's no community reason or connection to go into GW, I can see more players will just buy in independent stores which tend to be cheaper anyways. I nearly always buy where I play to support the places I play in. While it's usually a GW as they have better tables and more players, if we can't play there anymore then we'll just go elsewhere. 

I can't tell the future, but if GW does force managers to implement this then I can only see sales going down

7 minutes ago, Enoby said:

This would be very disappointing if true, though is there any chance that he got the wrong end of the stick? As in, GW said "we want to focus on getting new players into the hobby so make sure you always have two tables available for demo games, one for teaching new players to paint, and one for normal games" and in a form of Chinese Whispers it's been interpreted as the above?

If not, I can't imagine it will be a profitable move. So many people buy where they play, and if there's no community reason or connection to go into GW, I can see more players will just buy in independent stores which tend to be cheaper anyways. I nearly always buy where I play to support the places I play in. While it's usually a GW as they have better tables and more players, if we can't play there anymore then we'll just go elsewhere. 

I can't tell the future, but if GW does force managers to implement this then I can only see sales going down

I desperately want this to be either one of us getting it wrong.  I hope that closer to restrictions easing they release a statement on war.com to let us know their intent post pandemic.

But I’d rather I’d just misinterpreted the lot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Personally beastial Minotaur/Centaur/Hellboy creatures are more interesting to me than Fae Aelves.

This. 

Also, No one finds it weird that Nagash sent reapers to get a tithe from silent people but they are "gone"....

My bets on them or something BoC, Ogroid related still. 

14 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

If this is a new Destruction army with Centaur and other hybrid animals I'll lose my mind. Alongside the Sons the idea of anthropomorphic bipedal animals has always been a hope for me. I know BOC sort of fill that niche but I want Rhino and Hippo Heavy Infantry type units.

I’d be really interested in a more destructive nature army. Not really like beasts of chaos but more a animalistic raging group of tribal beasts. I think this will be the god trapped in the beast grave, it could be kurnothi but if it is maybe kurnothi will flock to him thinking he’s their god reincarnated and embrace the beast. Or perhaps it’s a god who rallies the tribal men and beasts of Ghur to destroy civilisation for the sake of nature.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Vasshpit said:

This. 

Also, No one finds it weird that Nagash sent reapers to get a tithe from silent people but they are "gone"....

My bets on them or something BoC, Ogroid related still. 

Just because you're dead doesn't mean you don't have to pay the Bonereaper tithe. Just makes it a bit easier for the collectors.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I desperately want this to be either one of us getting it wrong.  I hope that closer to restrictions easing they release a statement on war.com to let us know their intent post pandemic.

But I’d rather I’d just misinterpreted the lot.

My local store manager has been pretty open that they just want to get games rolling again. Would be strange if the intention is the opposite 

• Like 1

Just remembered the Father of Dragon Ogres, Krakenrok, was sleeping in the Old World. He was meant to wake up in the End Times according to folklore, but he must have hit snooze on his alarm.

But anyway. Now I've settled on that I'm 95% sure its him. Hes woken up, dosen't know what's going on etc, what's happened to his kids. Compmetley fits. Name is close as well.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Enoby said:

They already did this with the Soul Wars/Dark Imperium displays I think? Those two were always out on a board, or at least the most basic units were to show the game off.

All I can assume is the suits looked a that big 50% of retail on the finances and now want to deliberately tank stores so they can shrug and go, "Oh well, stores aren't doing well!"

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

If you could confirm that would be great, as I’d love to be proved wrong :)

I can’t prove it as it was when they were open just before the current lockdown but since I moved to my current location I’ve been to my local store a lot where they have said that as soon as restrictions allow it they’d be happy to teach me how to play, and on multiple occasions they’ve said they are looking forward to doing their painting one to ones as well. I’d imagine it would be up to the store manager ours has been nothing but welcoming when anyone’s needed advice etc they seem really eager to get back to hobbying .