The Rumour Thread

For what it's worth, the "Big News Tomorrow" announcement was posted directly on the Warhammer TV and Warhammer Age of Sigmar Facebook pages; Warhammer 40k only shared the link...

This would seem to suggest that the news is related mainly to AoS (in addition to the valid timing comment previously made  - not having 40k steal the thunder of AoS)...

However, Warhammer 40k did not share the release of the KO (which was quite significant news) on their Facebook page - so if they are sharing this post, then it has to be a MAJOR announcement...

• Like 1

Really surprised how much of a feel there is out there for Core Rules changes. I don't think it will happen or is ever needed. The few problems AoS has can be solved just in the Matched Play points, the rules are one of the big draws and really help with the balance of the game.

I'm hoping for a GHB 2 date and some more leaks. People have been saying summer for a long time now and they're making an announcement at an AoS Tournament, so stands to reason. They also just released a new Faction so I'd be surprised if they're rolling another off the line so fast.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

You're reaching for the stars on that one!

I actually suspect that we are going to have a core rules update as well.  The indicator of this (to me) is actually the battletome dropping this week:  The Kharadron Overlords battletome does not have the four pages of core rules that every AOS product and resource has had over the past two years.  I suspect that this product is the last one to roll out before the new core rules.  I don't suspect they will be very much (if any longer) than the current core ruleset, but they will likely clear up things that the FAQ has had to and possibly integrate aspects of the past (or what we thought were future rules of 1) into the core rules.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is where we see that same named abilities no longer stack.  This is my hunch. 

• Like 3

Just now, Thomas Lyons said:

I actually suspect that we are going to have a core rules update as well.  The indicator of this (to me) is actually the battletome dropping this week:  The Kharadron Overlords battletome does not have the four pages of core rules that every AOS product and resource has had over the past two years.  I suspect that this product is the last one to roll out before the new core rules.  I don't suspect they will be very much (if any longer) than the current core ruleset, but they will likely clear up things that the FAQ has had to and possibly integrate aspects of the past (or what we thought were future rules of 1) into the core rules.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is where we see that same named abilities no longer stack.  This is my hunch. 

The plot thickens!

4 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

makes sense...

I think for it to be "BIG NEWS" it would have to be a change to the core rules, not just GHB2 release since A) we all know it's coming and B) it's not really "big news".  Not even a new faction would be "big news".  It has to be something with major ramifications; an update to the actual core rules would IMHO fall under that.  Maybe some changes based on the feedback they've gotten over the past ~2 years, like making base to base measurement the default, maybe tweaking some other things (shooting?  LOS?).  Minor things, but things that will help the game out.  Maybe they've learned some things from what they are doing for 40k 8th edition and are backporting them to AOS, so the two systems will have the same "core" set of rules.

Edited by wayniac
  • Like 1

Making B2B measurements would make a lot of sense, and the timing would be perfect.

Just look at the Frigate's melee weapon. With a 1" range, it most likely can't ever attack anything unless they ARE standing on the frigate's base... The Endrinriggers look like they might also struggle to get to 1" of many opponents (that's what picture #1 on page 69 of the latest WD makes it look like to me, anyway).

4 minutes ago, Gauche said:

Solid point, codifying base measurement would be good. I just assumed they'd put that in Matched Play but they may want it for all three flavors and keep the Matched Play changes to a limit. Well, now I'm hyped.

This also potentially resolving the model to model measuring with KO and the inevitable problem of how so many of their abilities have a problem functioning if you are playing model to model (like having 25 models disembarking within 3" of a ship that sits at 3+" off the base, or needing to end a charge within half an inc).   This resolving these things.

1 minute ago, Spinsane said:

Making B2B measurements would make a lot of sense, and the timing would be perfect.

They can't make base to base measurements the default until they specify official base sizes for all models.

They wouldn't need to rebox every legacy model to accomplish this; just put out an official document that details what size bases should be used for each model.

I think what we might see tomorrow is that official "FAQ Rules Forum" they talked about, and/or a living document with details about Matched Play like "which version of the Knight Azyros is legal in Matched Play?" and official base sizes.

Did they ever mandate base size? I recall my 40K days where people would put things on bigger bases all the time and it was legal, particularly Demon Princes. Unless someone is specifically going for an advantage I don't think they HAVE to mandate base size at this time.

• Like 2

Other competitive games specify what size bases should be used for each model. You can model them with any kind of base you like but in terms of reach and line of sight the model takes up a specific amount of space and height.

On that topic, I would like to see AOS adopt the Warmachine line of sight rules. I think SCGT uses something very similar already.

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 1

I don't think GW will mandate it, but I'm not mad if they do. It's just not their vibe compared to companies like PP.

Warmachine LoS might get very messy in this game. Warmachine is skirmish, AoS has a bigger scale. Pulling out the laser sight is never very enjoyable and we already have no facings. It would also favor horde armies because they could hide Heroes forever whereas other armies couldn't. Not to mention the messes with hills and stuff....

Edited by Gauche

GW has never put a official list of X base for Y model. It always was "The base the model come with". So they don't need to specified the size of the base, or even made them officially round or squares to make B2B measure official.

24 minutes ago, PJetski said:

They can't make base to base measurements the default until they specify official base sizes for all models.

They wouldn't need to rebox every legacy model to accomplish this; just put out an official document that details what size bases should be used for each model.

I think what we might see tomorrow is that official "FAQ Rules Forum" they talked about, and/or a living document with details about Matched Play like "which version of the Knight Azyros is legal in Matched Play?" and official base sizes.

I've always been Under the impression that the main/only reason they (GW) said bases were not part of the models is just so people wouldn't have to rebase their armies, which they assumed would be the main factor limiting adoption of the game (it wasn't, as we know).

Now that the game has become significantly more popular, requiring "proper" basing might be coming up eventually...

23 minutes ago, Gauche said:

Did they ever mandate base size? I recall my 40K days where people would put things on bigger bases all the time and it was legal, particularly Demon Princes. Unless someone is specifically going for an advantage I don't think they HAVE to mandate base size at this time.

No, GW has never mandated base size, even in 8th edition.  If you'll remember, comp packs had "official" base sizes for models, but GW never did despite the fact that measuring was officially base to base.  I don't see any reason why they would be required to have official base sizes now either.

• Like 1

Just now, Spinsane said:

I've always been Under the impression that the main/only reason they (GW) said bases were not part of the models is just so people wouldn't have to rebase their armies, which they assumed would be the main factor limiting adoption of the game (it wasn't, as we know).

Now that the game has become significantly more popular, requiring "proper" basing might be coming up eventually...

More popular and access to more kits. Not a lot of people are playing the old armies so squares are falling out of favor. I think the problem will solve itself over the next year.