AoS 2 - Legion of Grief discussion

Sigwarus

So I've entered a 1k tournament in July, got a lot of painting to do, this is the list im going with

Lady O- Shroud of terror-240

Guardian of souls-mortuary candle-140

Lord Executioner-80

10 x chainrasp-80

10x Chainrasp-80

9x spirit host-360

thoughts?

General idea is to use Flesheater Court mercenaried to make up for the fact we cannot have Terrorgheists. Archregent gives us access to 3 "free" Crypt Flayers if they are good (For only 30 points more than 3 Flayers) or 20 dudes to pseudo deep strike onto objectives if the enemy has a strong Bravery game. Add Cadaverous Barricade and the idea is to use this endless spells to funnel enemies into a position to be bravery bombed.

Necromancer sits in the blob of Skellies, Guardian sits with the Reapers.

Lord Executioner is technically our tankiest hero so he holds the Brooch to try and recoup spent command points and also becomes an important-to-kill support hero with the bravery debuff aura.

If you want to lean harder into bravery and don't like Pallisade, you can drop the wolves for another 10 skeletons, but I think the extra wall + utility of a fast moving, expendable objective holder is superior.

Leaders

●Abhorrent Archregent - 200 pts
●Guardian of Souls, Nightmare Lantern - 140
●Necromancer - 110 pts
●Tomb Banshee - 80 pts
●Tomb Banshee - 80 pts
●Lord Executioner - 80 pts (Aetherquartz Brooch, General, Tragic Emanations)
Leaders

Battleline
■Skeleton Warriors x 40 - 280 pts
■Skeleton Warriors x 10 - 80 pts
■Dire Wolf x 5 - 60 pts
Battleline

Other
□Dreadscythe Harridan x 15 - 270 pts
□Grimghast Reaper x 20 - 280 pts
□Crypt Flayers x 3 - 170 pts

Endless Spells
◇Horrorghast - 60 pts
◇Cadaverous Barricade - 30 pts
◇Prismatic Pallisade - 30 pts

1,950/2,000 pts, 1 extra CP

Edited by Nasrod
Clean up typos

18 minutes ago, Nasrod said:

General idea is to use Flesheater Court mercenaried to make up for the fact we cannot have Terrorgheists. Archregent gives us access to 3 "free" Crypt Flayers if they are good (For only 30 points more than 3 Flayers) or 20 dudes to pseudo deep strike onto objectives if the enemy has a strong Bravery game. Add Cadaverous Barricade and the idea is to use this endless spells to funnel enemies into a position to be bravery bombed.

Lord Executioner is technically our tankiest hero so he holds the Brooch to try and recoup spent command points and also becomes an important-to-kill support hero with the bravery debuff aura.

If you want to lean harder into bravery and don't like Pallisade, you can drop the wolves for another 10 skeletons, but I think the extra wall + utility of a fast moving, expendable objective holder is superior.

Leaders

●Necromancer - 110 pts
●Tomb Banshee - 80 pts
●Tomb Banshee - 80 pts
Leaders

Battleline
■Dire Wolf x 5 - 60 pts
Battleline

Other

Endless Spells
◇Horrorghast - 60 pts

Are the three flayers listed the ones the archregent pops up during Game?

9 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

Are the three flayers listed the ones the archregent pops up during Game?

Nope. The regent summons them with his Command Trait. Regent and 3 Crypt Flayers = 370/400 allied allotment. :) So yeah, potentially 6 Flayers and 2 Banshees.

1 minute ago, Nasrod said:

Nope. The regent summons them with his Command Trait. Regent and 3 Crypt Flayers = 370/400 allied allotment. :) So yeah, potentially 6 Flayers and 2 Banshees.

I know OK 🤔 6 flayers and two banshees + the harridans all with bravery reductions could be good 

But i'm not sure if you could buy and use the FEC endless outside of a FEC alliance

4 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

I know OK 🤔 6 flayers and two banshees + the harridans all with bravery reductions could be good 

But i'm not sure if you could buy and use the FEC endless outside of a FEC alliance

Tl;dr, you can but only the Archregent can cast it. If they errata this I would not be surprised but for now you apparantly can.

4 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

So as heretical as the following may be small units of skeletons should seriously be considered.  Treat them like a pointy stick (lined up) and poke the bravery debuff banner at enemy units while minimizing contact zones for enemy attacks.  If penny-pinching points is the game go zombie.  Either way let your elites and heroes take advantage with their bravery linked BS.  The major downside is with summoning/regen going for the valuable elites the cheap battleline units will need to be written off as near guaranteed losses.

I like Reikenor because of the funny-fail over the LoG spell casting levels.

In my grand host list I run 2 units of 10 Skeletons that are basically objective holders, but like you say, they fall over in a stiff breeze!

Allegiance: Death
Dreadblade Harrow (100)
- General
- Trait: Tragic Emanations 
- Artefact: Grave-sand Gem 
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Spell: Wail of Doom
Guardian of Souls with Mortality Glass (140)
- Spell: Dread Withering
Tomb Banshee (80)
Necromancer (110)
- Spell: Shroud of Terror
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
20 x Bladegheist Revenants (320)
20 x Dreadscythe Harridans (320)
Mortis Engine (180)
Horrorghast (60)

Total: 1730 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 5
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

Here's what I've roughly compiled.  I've 270 points left over for another more elite unit.  Think the only thing I'm not keen on is only having one Deathly Invocation available (Necromancer).  It's also a high drop army - 11 without that extra unit.

I like to play LoG with Mist Models of NH. What do you think of this List?

Leaders
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (220)
Spirit Torment (120)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern(140)

Battleline
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Units
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (180)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)
Black Coach (280)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 118

Lady O as a general will hides behind the Black Coach or the Mortis Engine to prevent her from Shooting attacks. What so you think?

Did a 2v2 game today with a 1k list Log.  List was kurdoss, reikenor, dreadblade general (with wizard trait and amethyst brooch), 2x10 rasps, 10 reapers and 10 bladegheists. 

My ally was SCE and opponents were beasts and khorne. Playing battle for the pass. 

Placing graveyards was super important. I placed one in their back line such a way summoning a unit there could overlap the objective, forcing them to worry. After a big fight with most of my force midfield I lost a unit of rasps and reapers. My turn I teleported the dreadblade and got both units back at the gy near their backline, while just the previous turn they had dedicated their forces to fight them in the center... 

This won us the game and while LoG is just a weaker legion with less options on paper, the inclusion of nighthaunt creates a lot of opportunities and I feel the dreadblade general alone is too good to not use. He creates so many tactical and strategic options, as long as you have a bank of CP and keep him out of combat, your opponent needs to be vary of all the graves. This truly created psychological horror! Just keep him clear of blood boils and lightning cannons ;)

9 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

In my grand host list I run 2 units of 10 Skeletons that are basically objective holders, but like you say, they fall over in a stiff breeze!

Here's what I've roughly compiled.  I've 270 points left over for another more elite unit.  Think the only thing I'm not keen on is only having one Deathly Invocation available (Necromancer).  It's also a high drop army - 11 without that extra unit.

At least the Guardian can bring bedsheets back.  It can be rough being a spell.

Just a few thoughts.

• A Spirit of Torment shepherding the Bladegheists won’t only boost their killing but offer more regen.  His captured Soul Energy ability goes off every battleshock phase.
  • Twenty Chainwrasps can be surprisingly tank-y.  Even at 2k points which is usually not the case for other Death battleline.
  • Another elite unit instead could be the best option since the boots count is a bit low.  Something that adds punch, more Deathsythes or whatnot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColsBols said:

Forgive me if I’m wrong but I don’t see anything  that says I cannot take nagash in a LOG army. Is that true? I really want to run a daddy daughter double list of the big man and our lichqueen 

Currently you could take Nagash in a Legion of Grief army as he has the Deathlords keyword.  However I could see this being errata'd to bring it inline with the other three Legions within the Legions of Nagash book.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:18 AM, Nasrod said:

Leaders

●Necromancer - 110 pts
●Tomb Banshee - 80 pts
●Tomb Banshee - 80 pts
Leaders

Battleline
■Dire Wolf x 5 - 60 pts
Battleline

Other

Endless Spells
◇Horrorghast - 60 pts

Just remeber you wont get the First round command point with Mercs in your army- making the recouping of Cp super important from round2 onwards to bring back units!

The flayers idea is one i played with- but hadnt considered an Archregent- like it 👍🏼

3 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorthIronjawz said:

So what are the chances inspiring presence will be modified or dropped in the next GHB with all the bravery modifiers in Forbidden Power?

Core rules usually don't get changed in GHB though, isn't it mostly point costs?

35 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorthIronjawz said:

Changed mystic shield though so there is a bit of a precedent. 

Mystic Shield and Arcane Bolt were nerfed when the Dev’s finally realized those two spells were outperforming the army specific ones.  My VLoZD never casted anything other than Mystic Shield.

So it certainly is true GW has changed the core rules for the sake of all other battletombs.  Although I severely double they’d nerf a core command ability just for Death.  They are more likely to creat new Death Battletomb specific options to try and get bravery de-buffing to where they want it.  LoG itself shows this approach.

It took GW years to take the first step in reforming the magic side of things.  Things are still wonky with Priests and Prayers.  Casting levels to power are inconsistent across books.  Casting rolls themselves feel like the are not working right.  Worst of all the Devs probably don’t recognize or sense anything is off.  It’s just easier to leave things as they are when they don’t feel the fire.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:48 PM, Mordread said:

I like to play LoG with Mist Models of NH. What do you think of this List?

Leaders
Spirit Torment (120)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern(140)

Battleline

Units

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)
Black Coach (280)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 118

Lady O as a general will hides behind the Black Coach or the Mortis Engine to prevent her from Shooting attacks. What so you think?

Hi I noticed this list in the topic asking for comment, but haven’t seen any yet. I’m rather new to NH/LoG so I don’t know too much, but it looked quite interesting to me. Does anybody have any thoughts on it? Also, @Mordread what sort of abilities and artefacts, spells etc do you think would be useful with it? 

Thx in advance!

This is probably dumb as hell but I wanted to do a Father and Daughter list and use all the models I've just finished painting for a shrieker host so let me know what you think? going up against gloomspite

Nagash

Olynder (Wail of Doom)

40x Skeletons

5x Dire Wolves

40x Chainrasps

10x Dreadscythe Harridans

4x Myrnmourns

Umbral Spellportal

2000/2000

@Redbaron thank you for your answer! This is the list with spells and artefacts:

Leaders
- General
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
- Artefact: Gothizzari Mortuary Candle 
- Spell: Shroud of Terror
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
Spirit Torment (120)

Battleline

Units

Behemoths
Black Coach (280)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 111

With only three spells for legion of grief  I had to take one spell two times because I don't Like wail of doom. Some explanations: First, I don't play tournaments. I just play with friends. Second I like lists with story, so I took Lady Olynder and Kurdoss Valentian. 

On the table I spread them wide from another. Lady Olynder follows the Black Coach, and I use the Coach, that Olynder can't be targeted by firepower  (I try it und hope so). She is surrounded bei an Chainrasp Horde and one unit of bladegheists for Look out sir! One guardian of Souls is near the chainrasp and even one spirit Torment. Lady Olynder must be protected til turn three, that she can summen the dead units and than she goes into the fight. 

The other side ist Valentian, the other Guardian and 20 chainrasp and the second unit of Bladgeheists. The spirit Torment is near the center of the army, the two units of Chainrasp near him for Look out sir. - It could be possible, that he gets the Artefakt Candle, that he can't be sniped so good. 

I think of an aggressive play straight forward, so the opponent has too many units for range attacks. I think some units will die to round three, but that should be okay. 

What do you think? 

I never thought of keeping units in reserve, because I think the more that are on the table and threatening the opponent, the more chance is to keep Olynder alive.

Sorry for my English...

Edited by Mordread

13 hours ago, Mordread said:

Lady Olynder follows the Black Coach, and I use the Coach, that Olynder can't be targeted by firepower  (I try it und hope so). 

Hi, could you explain please how the coach can prevent from targeting the Lady?

Interesting list, but i can recommend to take Necromancers, The Wanhels on bladeheists or grimgasts looks perfect

I might try out this list. Have not picked traits, artifacts, or spells yet though.

Dreadblade Harrow (100)
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140)
Spirit Torment (120)
Necromancer (110)
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)
20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)
15 x Bladegheist Revenants (270)
Black Coach (280)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 153

31 minutes ago, Rod said:

Are morghast viable now? Stacking that -1 bravery aura with LoG debuff

With the power-creep their raw stat-line to points is even worse.  I have been particularly happy with how Battle:LoN gives them potential in games.  LoG has allot of options for leadership shanking, haven’t felt the pressure to squeeze out that extra bonus.

Do you have something in mind that might need it?

1 minute ago, Evil Bob said:

With the power-creep their raw stat-line to points is even worse.  I have been particularly happy with how Battle:LoN gives them potential in games.  LoG has allot of options for leadership shanking, haven’t felt the pressure to squeeze out that extra bonus.

Do you have something in mind that might need it?

Dont know, stacking -2 b seems powerful, but morghast are kinda overpriced, 

So dont know if pushing bravery debuff worth 220 points