Age of Sigmar RPG

Emmetation

First impression is quite combat-heavy and heroic. More Deathguard than Dark Heresy, if you will. Not my style of RPG, I’m afraid, but a good basis for crossovers with the tabletop game 😎

I myself am currently thinking about some home brew crossover between Wfrp 2nd, Mordheim and Hinterlands.

Maybe something like that is their goal, only for AoS?

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 7:24 AM, michu said:

I love how the archetype already has intrigue and betrayal set-up as a basis for how the player will shape their path going forward. Revenge? Reclaim your crown within the cult? Cut ties with the goddess of shadows and stick with your friends? Trade your friends for the status denied you?

Extremely fitting for the denizens of the insidious realm of shadow and those serving their manipulative gods.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:55 PM, JPjr said:

Obviously combat mechanics are one of the main things you need to test and get right for a game like this, and the swarm mechanic does sound interesting, but I am getting curious now as to how combat heavy the game will be and how it handles all other kinds of interactions. Not long to go to find out though, can't wait!

Yeah... this was always going to be a combat heavy system, but those playtests are written up more like battle reports than RPG write-ups. I hope there is a bit more to it. 

Don't forget in RPG games the combat is often the more complex area of the game in terms of actual mechanics and dice rolls. It's also the area that the DM has reduced control over in terms of once the encounter is setup, in theory, it runs its course to the end of the fight. 

Meanwhile conversations, diplomacy, navigating trap riddle terrain etc... is all about simpler in terms of roles and mechanics. Plus its areas where a good DM can manage the situation more variably; either sticking to the rules or branching out to adapt to the situation based on the results and the players and what kind of game they are going for. This is the area where, in my view, mechanics are less important than lore since its lore that helps craft the story and structure for the DM and gives them tools to work with; whilst the mechanics are simply supporting it; in contrast when in combat the mechanics are often far more important than the lore as the mechanics of the game are controlling the fight more so. 

• Like 1

Here's something interesting for future Lumineth players.

An Hammerhal herald ad from 2018 implied that the magic-purifying Aetherquartz was also used in purifying ales.

42611633_905186506344810_622254071570497

So you can pawn off your used off Aetherquartz stones to pubs and inns.

Could a drained realmstone cause the chaos and magic impurities to go unpurged and negatively effect the drinkers?

Well maybe but you got some local currency for that new spear on sale  now and no emotions after bargaining your stones like that so no worries! ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On the discord someone also had the idea of a black market for the used aetherquartz with stored Lumineth emotions. Pretty cool idea. They've put in quite a lot of stuff into the Lumineth. Should be fun. 

(the one above though seems to imply this is just great beer or? "Without the need for magic". Anyway cool stuff. Thanks for finding that gem)

• LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Here's something interesting for future Lumineth players.

An Hammerhal herald ad from 2018 implied that the magic-purifying Aetherquartz was also used in purifying ales.

42611633_905186506344810_622254071570497

So you can pawn off your used off Aetherquartz stones to pubs and inns.

Could a drained realmstone cause the chaos and magic impurities to go unpurged and negatively effect the drinkers?

Well maybe but you got some local currency for that new spear on sale  now and no emotions after bargaining your stones like that so no worries! ;)

Aetherquartz is said to speed thought and reactions, not unlike caffeine. So I thought this ad was just about really good coffee.

• Like 1

Ooh, magic caffeine could be possible.

Me and my friends were theorizing the purifying properties from the Malign Portents book here.

3v8iG7d.png

Our theory was that between the phoenix emblem and aelven name that brewery was in Ghyran's city of Phoenicium.

That's why it was bragging about the Aqshy imported products, unlike Ghyran those lands weren't overrun with Nurgle plagues, monsters and beer obsessed brayherds(at least nothing Aqshy flames couldn't cleanse) so Ghyran brews needed purifying from the hops fields in order to be drinkable.

Would YOU trust brews that were grown next to Nurgly lands like this? xD

Warhammer-Fantasy-fb-%25D0%25BF%25D0%25B

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed! That the Chamon map was floating continents Grungni shaped into organized ingots for his people's prosperity but a Lode-griffin God-beast came and nested in the middle warping the continents into a spiraling mess is fantastic with the detail the nest is dead center on the map. Would love to see it dug further into. :)

And yeah, three cheers to Cubicle 7 for the detailing here. They really gave Aqshy a lot of love with studying all the previous maps and even adding the current lore stuff like Brightspear and Gotrek's encounter with Edassa.

"

• The map was created by renowned cartographer Jared Blando.
  • It shows the Great Parch, which is the starting realm for Soulbound. The core book comes with an overview of each of the other Mortal Realms, as well as over 30 pages of information on various locations in the Great Parch.
  • The map shows some of the biomes of the Great Parch – proving it’s not just barren desert! There is even snow to the north in Cotha (and the blood-soaked lands of Khul’s Ravage to the south).
  • Those who have played Season of War Firestorm will recognise the Prismatikon and the Titanworks in the Flamescar Plateau.
  • The newly reclaimed city of Brightspear can be seen in Aspiria. This new City of Sigmar was reclaimed by the Celestial Warbringers and is the focus of the Soulbound Starter Set."

Color really helps to show off stuff like the Cortha arctic and how the Polychromatic sea got it's name from the Batar merchant kingdoms polluting the sea with their excess.

Aspiria-1-768x579.jpg

Flamescar-Plateau-768x581.jpg

Pity the Tauroi archipelago leading into the void isn't in the Parch, would've loved to see their take on it with an overhead view like this.

5a2aab534ad0c_.jpg.86fac84caf011b05e228d

Edited by Baron Klatz

Man, looking at the placement of the cities is actually pretty fun, anvilguard and hallowheart where a lot closer than I thought, and the other cities  in this area seem like they could use an expansion. I could almost see a story of hallowheart creating a canal from their sea to the  main ocean just to have better trading lanes with the other cities. Heck, I would love to see the roads or paths between these places.

also is it just me or does hammerhal aqshy look like it’s way to the sea is completely screwed over?

• Like 1

Just now, Acid_Nine said:

also is it just me or does hammerhal aqshy look like it’s way to the sea is completely screwed over?

From the "Shadows over Hammerhal" supplement it sounded like they don't rely on the Aqshy ocean so much as using lava cogs to take advantage of those rivers of lava covering the land and in "Hammerhal and other stories" the guards note the airship docks were bustling with human, aelf and duardin vessels for trades over the hostile lands.

The Corebook even gives some art of the trading airships you can see in Aqshy.

book26.jpg

Otherwise it's Ghyran and it's oceans that Hammerhal uses with captains sailing into the mystic forests and ominous jungles for exotic game to bring back.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 2/27/2020 at 5:59 PM, JPjr said:

This map is impressive. Really create something fantastic yet relatable. 

I am praying for the day 1. I can order it and hung it over my bed, 2. every single Realms get one like this !!!

--

With the celestial regalia, heraldry and general colors used, it make think of medieval Spain, Portugal, Italy and Nord Africa biomes...

I wish AOS would go toward an aesthetic inspired more of this style, the Gallagher sketches from WHQ : Shadow Over Hammerhal and the early John Blanche Stormcast concepts......... :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

From the "Shadows over Hammerhal" supplement it sounded like they don't rely on the Aqshy ocean so much as using lava cogs to take advantage of those rivers of lava covering the land and in "Hammerhal and other stories" the guards note the airship docks were bustling with human, aelf and duardin vessels for trades over the hostile lands.

The Corebook even gives some art of the trading airships you can see in Aqshy.

book26.jpg

Otherwise it's Ghyran and it's oceans that Hammerhal uses with captains sailing into the mystic forests and ominous jungles for exotic game to bring back.

That picture shows the floating city of Bataar. You can find it in the top left of this map. 
I really hope they expand on it a bit. 

• Like 1

Yup, Bataar will be at least somewhat covered. The producer Emmet Byrne mentioned that: 

The Corebook has some info on the major cities: Hammerhal, Hallowheart, Anvilgard, Tempest's Eye, Lumnos, Stell Spike, Bataar, Edassa and Anvalor, or "The Floating City of Bataar" to be more precise.

The Cities of Flame supplement, which comes along with the GM screen, has adventures set in Hammerhal, Brightspear, Anvilgard, Hallowheart, and Tempest's Eye (5 adventures per city, 25 altogether). The booklet is 32 pages

Some more info: The plan for a campaign (200+0 pages, the focus is on Order, but the might make a book for the other Grand Alliances, the Lumineth won't be covered in the Corebook, but they'll try to put out something for them "fairly soon" afterwards.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

I'm crossing my fingers so hard for big grand alliance rpgs. Playing as a knight of shrouds because my character had a falling out with the Sigimirite faith which Nagash preyed on causing an existence of doubt and regret by an otherwise just champion that still maintains order between the dead and living or even a Gargant elder wanting to find a way to resurrect Behemet or at least cure the realm of life he loved while corraling the battle-crazy orruks/players to achieve that goal would be amazing. :D

Also new realm of fire pics from Cubicle7:

AoS_CB_08025_Aqshy-768x688.jpg

AoS_CB_14045_Magmadroth-768x866.jpg

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3