AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Rockgut Troggoths are incredible! Very few units in the game have the hammer and anvil  capabilities of Rockguts with a 5+ after save to boot. They are amazing on the table and often cause opponents to go bug eyed once they hear, “O.k., so that’s 36 damage.” Trust me, my Gloomy friends! Wherever 30 Rockguts go, no more news comes out of that area! 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

17 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

We might get one in the Broken Realms series coming up, if we're lucky.

Model that is.

3 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

The teaser mentions "Sulpherbreath Troggoth"...

New Troggs at some point, yes please!!!!!!!!

I did a bit of lore digging, and it looks like the caverns of Fulminax, where the sulpherbreath Troggoths call their home, is the location of a huge bound flame elemental, whose heat makes the area nearly inhospitable.

I thought it might be wierd that we'd get new troggoths (or spiderfang rip) stuff in Broken realms from a narrative perspective. The new warcry set Catacombs seems like a perfect fit for these guys. Trolls in deep ruined catacombs, and the board has visible lava, so the fire theme fits too. Rockguts and Fellwaters were beast options in one of the expansions too.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

I did a bit of lore digging, and it looks like the caverns of Fulminax, where the sulpherbreath Troggoths call their home, is the location of a huge bound flame elemental, whose heat makes the area nearly inhospitable.

I thought it might be wierd that we'd get new troggoths (or spiderfang rip) stuff in Broken realms from a narrative perspective. The new warcry set Catacombs seems like a perfect fit for these guys. Trolls in deep ruined catacombs, and the board has visible lava, so the fire theme fits too. Rockguts and Fellwaters were beast options in one of the expansions too.

Nice. 👍

Perhaps Sulpherbreaths will/are AoS chaos trolls. 

Also fire, sulphur, that newest chaos warcry warband is fire themed... 😉

If we do get new Troggoths, I'd like some smaller ones in groups of 5 to 20.  Still with the Troggoth aesthetic, but adding new dimensions to playability.  They'd make a good chaff unit and with greater numbers better objective holders without needing to take Grots.  I want to play a complete Troggoth army without feeling that I've tied one hand behind my back.

20 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

If we do get new Troggoths, I'd like some smaller ones in groups of 5 to 20.  Still with the Troggoth aesthetic, but adding new dimensions to playability.  They'd make a good chaff unit and with greater numbers better objective holders without needing to take Grots.  I want to play a complete Troggoth army without feeling that I've tied one hand behind my back.

Contrary to public opinion, Troggoths do not need smaller charge blocker units to be competitive. Everything you need to be successful is right there if you have enough experience to prepare for it. Aelfric, I play against top notch killer players with killer lists every other weekend. I’ve beaten them plenty of times with my Rockguts. A good Troggoth player needs to know how to use the endless spells in conjunction with the Moonclan magic to block and reroute the opponent right into the hands of his units. You cannot use these goofy 3 man units and hope to be successful. Rockguts are always best in 9 or 12 man groups. You need the high numbers to sweep enemy units off of objectives. You need 3 Fungoids to give you those extra command points. Lastly, you need to know how to position your units for the inevitable steamroller charges that sweep the enemy units into oblivion. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scythian said:

Contrary to public opinion, Troggoths do not need smaller charge blocker units to be competitive. Everything you need to be successful is right there if you have enough experience to prepare for it. Aelfric, I play against top notch killer players with killer lists every other weekend. I’ve beaten them plenty of times with my Rockguts. A good Troggoth player needs to know how to use the endless spells in conjunction with the Moonclan magic to block and reroute the opponent right into the hands of his units. You cannot use these goofy 3 man units and hope to be successful. Rockguts are always best in 9 or 12 man groups. You need the high numbers to sweep enemy units off of objectives. You need 3 Fungoids to give you those extra command points. Lastly, you need to know how to position your units for the inevitable steamroller charges that sweep the enemy units into oblivion. 

I'm one of those people who don't get to play very often, so I don't have a lot of games under my belt and may not be the most tactical of players.  I have 12 Rockguts painted, 6 Fellwaters, 2 Dankholds(normally bosses) and a Hag.  My Rockguts are normally in 6's and I always have two Fungoids.  I am intending to add 6 more Rockguts soon to try out 2 units of 9 as the evidence points to that as a better way to go.  I try to avoid adding Grots as, well, they're not Troggoths.  It's not that they can't be successful, I have won with them,  but it would be nice to expand the variety of ways Troggoths can be played and if they add more units, they need to bring something different to the table other than big killy creatures.  GW seem to be moving towards creating armies that have less duplication of unit types while still offering different playstyles within the army.  That is what I would like for Troggoths.  Also, I like the idea of cute little Troggoths running around the board (I still miss my Snotlings :) ).

Edited by Aelfric

@Aelfric To each there own but for me, keep Troggs big and nasty!!!

Also has anyone had any luck using small units of hoppers as just fy over extra mortals in their Trogg lists?

I ask because I'd like to make some without riders and add wings. I think this would look cool coupled up next to a trogg army. 

Edited by Vasshpit

On 10/3/2020 at 7:14 AM, Vasshpit said:

Also has anyone had any luck using small units of hoppers as just fy over extra mortals in their Trogg lists?

I ask because I'd like to make some without riders and add wings. I think this would look cool coupled up next to a trogg army. 

Don't get me wrong - I'll be over the MOON if they release a new type of Troggoth, whatever it may be!

I don't own any Squigs, so have no experience with them.  I was considering getting some for chaff, but the Lumineth turned up and stole all my money.  I'd be interested in people's experiences with them, though.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:14 AM, Vasshpit said:

my experience with hopper by themselves haven't been that great, it particularly difficult to get hoppers to tag units for the mortal wound roll and be three inches away from the enemy given the random nature of their movement. sometimes you get one hopper to tag a unit but then you need to roll a  4+ to get the mortal wounds.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, novakai said:

my experience with hopper by themselves haven't been that great, it particularly difficult to get hoppers to tag units for the mortal wound roll and be three inches away from the enemy given the random nature of their movement. sometimes you get one hopper to tag a unit but then you need to roll a  4+ to get the mortal wounds.

True, and even more difficult do get all 5 or even 10 tagging a unit and placing 3 away... With only 1 model tagging it's a 4+ for 1 mortal wound... For the point cost and comparison with boingrots they should have something like 4D6 move. I think then they will have a real place ☺️

What do you think about this 1000k list for Meeting Engagement, trying the new Jaws of Mork:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz (Jaws of Mork)

SPEARHEAD
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
6 x Squig Herd (70)

MAIN BODY
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- General [Trait and artefact from Jaws of Mork]
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moonclan Stabba
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

REARGUARD
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)

TOTAL: 1000/1000 WOUNDS: 86

I'm also thinking about changing the herds from main body to snufflers, but not sure.

On 10/5/2020 at 6:49 AM, Walkirriox said:

What do you think about this 1000k list for Meeting Engagement, trying the new Jaws of Mork:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz (Jaws of Mork)

SPEARHEAD
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
6 x Squig Herd (70)

MAIN BODY
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- General [Trait and artefact from Jaws of Mork]
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moonclan Stabba
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

REARGUARD
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)

TOTAL: 1000/1000 WOUNDS: 86

I'm also thinking about changing the herds from main body to snufflers, but not sure.

So I actually just played a ME list with Jaws of Work the other day! I went for the following:

Spearhead:

Fungoid Cave Shaman (w/ squig lure)

5x Squig Hoppers

Main body:

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (w/ general with all Jaws of Mork stuff)

5x Squig Hoppers

Rearguard:

10x Boingrot Bounderz

10x Boingrot Bounderz

And absolutely ran over a Seraphon list, with not terribly great rolls on my side. We did a fairly objective-heavy battle plan as well, and I never really had an issue being in the race. I'm not sure how snufflers would do, but don't discount the charge bonus for bounderz and the 3d6" with re-rolls for the hoppers. Throw in a loon shrine and it was surprisingly sticky on the field.