Help! Must spend $500 on models: requesting tips and recommendations to improve / expand my army!

tarquinmccoy

Hi all,

I got into AoS in approximately February 2018, and "caught the bug." I can't remember why I decided to go with Khorne (nothing about the game made sense to me at that time, really), but my personality is that I've really tried to go all in. In connection with a significant negotiation with my wife, I have $500 of free cash that I want to / have to (per agreement) spend on more models. My current army consists of the following models, consisting mostly of the old Khorne v. Stormcast starter box; the Blades of Khorne expansion box; 2 "Start Collecting" Daemons of Khorne boxes:

• Bloodreavers x45
  • Blood Warriors x25
  • Wrathmongers x5
  • Skullcrusher x3
  • Korgorath x1
  • Mighty Lord of Khorne x1
  • Bloodsecrator x1
  • Slaughterpriest x3 (axes)
  • Exalted Deathbringer x1 (spear)
  • Aspiring Deathbringer x1 (hammer)
  • Skarr Bloodwrath
  • Bloodletters x20
  • Bloodcrushers x6
  • Skull Cannons x2
  • Bloodthirster x1 (wrath)
  • Archaon (had to work on a Sunday and YOLO'd it)

By way of background, I play with 2 mates: one plays Nighthaunt; the other Stormcast. We play pitched matches, for balance purposes, but aren't overly competitive. I like painting, so "painting labor" is not a consideration for me. Finally, I'm the type that likes to have 1 full deck, rather than several different "starter decks," meaning that I'm only, really, interested in Chaos Grand Alliance (so all of my units can ostensibly be on the same list).

I'm looking for thoughts, recommendations, etc. of all varieties--serious, funny, creative, you name it--about ways to spend $500 to improve my army, either in terms of power, prestige, fun, appearance, etc. Are there any critical models that I don't have, but should? Are there any cool and/or obscure battalion warscrolls that I could shoot for? Do I just go bigger, in anticipation of larger point matches going forward? Are there other armies or models that pair nicely with Khorne? Maybe some models which might not be "meta," but have an epic cool factor or something else that might get me some kudos from my friends?

I'm still relatively new, so I genuinely welcome everyone's feedback. If you've made it this far, thank you for reading!

$500 is a lot of Money. You don't need more than 2500 points of Khorne and you should be there or over already...

If you just want more options to tailor your army or experiment with different builds I'd say get some Slaves to Darkness. You can give them the mark of Khorne and use them in your army without having to give up anything. I have 2000+ points of Khorne and almost 1000p of Slaves to Darkness, I mostly use them as a second army but can combine them if I want. You could also use 10 more Bloodletters and the other Bloodthirster variants; probably Skarbrand... 

If you want to branch into other armies you could start with some units that can ally into blades of khorne.  The chaos gargant is very strong. I didn't realize how much better he is than the other gargants.  Cygors seem nice too.  We can ally them and ghorgons and the rest of the beastman start collecting box.

For khorne stuff Valkia seems nice to have as a hero seeking missile.  Flesh hounds are also nice summoning fodder.  1 blood tithe point more than the 5 bloodletters but twice as many wounds, fast, and an extra dispel.

For other options Tzeentch has some great wizards we can ally.  Gaunt Summoner through everchosen and Tzaangor shaman through brayherd.  Also enlightened or skyfires on discs of tzeentch for some super mobility and ranged support.  

You need 10 more Bloodletters to make the max unit size of 30, not worth buying another start collection Daemons box, so just buy a single box of them.

To proc the loci of the Bloodletters you need a model with the Daemon, Hero and Khorne keywords, at the moment you only have a Bloodthirster and Archaon with those keywords and they probably don't want to be babysitting Bloodletters, so I'd buy a Bloodmaster, you don't even need to start with him as he can be summoned if your short of hero slots. Other options for this role are Daemon Princes and the Chaos Lord on Daemonic mount, decide which model you like best I suppose.

Your list also doesn't mention a Bloodstoker, maybe you forget to include him, get one off ebay ASAP as he is massive to most Khorne armies.

I can't see anything else that your missing that's essential. It can be fun to include some magic despite it being unthematic to some degree. I like the Chaos Sorcerer Lord and Sayl the Faithless, although Sayl will require you to invest in more Khorne marked Slaves to Darkness units. I like to teleport Bloodstoker whipped Knights and Gorebeast chariots behind enemy lines after they have been buffed by the Chaos Lord on Daemonic mounts command ability.

Honestly if I had a big chunk of money and already had a functional core army I'd head over to Foregeworld and see if there are any big shiny models that I'd really like to own from there! Chaos has some neat options and some very impressive models from there - even some of the affordable ones like the mighty Warpfire Dragon would be a great model to add to your force, at least in a visual sense.

Things like troops and infantry and such you can pick up here and there in bits as you grow your army, so sometimes when you've got one big bit of cash its time to get something special that might be hard to save for another time.

PS don't just check out chaos from Age of Sigmar but hop over and check the 40K stuff too; chaos has quite a lot of bio-mechanical creatures (just look at their cavalry) so it might be that one of the big 40K bio-mech units catches your eye and you can take that as a proxy (or just because it looks cool!)

Thanks for the responses, all.  This has been very helpful.  Picking up at least a couple of kits for StD models sounds like smart play, given that they can be pretty readily integrated into my existing Khorne army.  I love the look of Nurgle, but that seems like it would be pretty much expanding into a new army.  I agree with the recommendation to get x10 more blootletters--that was already on my mind (thank you for reminding me of the foci proc).  

What do people think of the Varangard models?  In any way justifiable, if only to pair with an Archaon list?

If people had to choose, in terms of look, gameplay, and "fun," between Tzeentch and Nurgle, are there pretty strong differences?

Finally, I really enjoy Khorne, and definitely will consider them my "main" army: are there any models I might want to consider acquiring to make my army more competitive?

Thanks again all!

Youre allready in a great position! Id say this is the time to get yourself a Skarbrand.  Other than that I'd get at least 10 additional Bloodletters, at least 10 Fleshhounds or consider saving that money for the Slaanesh vs Khorne box, which will likely contain some ammount of Bloodletters and new Fleshhounds.

If you need to spend it NOW, go for the above, if you can save some I'd start with Skarbrand and 10 additional Bloodletters.

On 9/29/2018 at 4:15 AM, tarquinmccoy said:

What do people think of the Varangard models?  In any way justifiable, if only to pair with an Archaon list?

If people had to choose, in terms of look, gameplay, and "fun," between Tzeentch and Nurgle, are there pretty strong differences?

Finally, I really enjoy Khorne, and definitely will consider them my "main" army: are there any models I might want to consider acquiring to make my army more competitive?

I think the Varanguard are currently not designed as suggested by lore, however you can get a box and make 3 very cool Chaos Lords on Daemonic mounts from them. This is what I'd do for the current Khorne army IF I where to get them.

Nurgle currently really shines in speed and resilience, Tzeentch has fate dice ;) and still are pretty potent in Magic too, especially when you do mix it with more StD choices, or a War Mammoth...

For a more competitive edge I think you have most grounds covered, except for the Daemons really. However at this moment if you dislike the current Fleshhounds I think it might be a smart move to wait for new ones... Other than that, Skarbrand is a better meta call as he used to be because bigger heroes are getting more common.

30 Bloodletters are a must have though! Less as in AoS1 but I would say any Khorne player should have some. Same applies to Skullreapers too I suppose, you could add some of those aswell. They are much closer again to Bloodletters in terms of costs and it can mean that from time to time you'd want them.

Despite the FW models looking really cool, I can't say I find them too competitive for Khorne. 

If you need help spending 500$ on minis I would just save it and wait for something to come along you really like. 

Somethings I would get if I had your stuff and played Khorne, a couple more Bloodthirsters to play the battalion, and another 10 Bloodletters to play a max unit. 

Archived