Maybe this has been answered, but there are WAAAAAAY too many pages to sort through:

Any ideas on the best city and loadout for steam tanks?

Am looking at 2 'squadrons' where each squadron is 2 tanks, 1 tank commander. So in total, about 1300 points. The options for supporting units are:
- 2x Hurricanum, with wizards. This is good because I get lots and lots of casting. It is bad because it basically uses all my points forever.
- 2x Hurricanum, 1 wizard, 1 without. Just cheaper but still has a cast. Slightly but not meaningfully cheaper.
- 2x Hurricanum, no wizards at all. Cheap enough to be meaningful (i.e. can bring 1 whole new unit for the savings), but loses casting entirely. Boo.
or
- 2x Lord Ordinators. The cheapest, but far easier to snipe, 0 casting, 0 shooting, and "wholly within 9" is less useful than "within 10"  for models that are the size of stanks.

I would like to keep some infantry in the army to support the tanks and hold objectives.

As for cities, I am looking at:
"The Living City": Their outflank rules would allow one squadron plus supporting guy and maybe some infantry to outflank. This could represent the strategic mobility of the untiring steam-tank, as well as providing an additional way to really make sure the targets die. It also heals the tanks passively.
"Greywater Fastness": +3" range doesn't help much, but has pretty good access to command points which can fuel the Stank Commanders and aid their squadrons. (4+ to generate 1 per turn, one artefact free, pay 50 pts for 1 more, etc).
"Hallowheart": Fantastic healing spell, 5+ to ignore magic seems powerful on a Stank, and a tiny bit of CP generation (4+ each turn). Buffs hurricanums.
"Tempest's Eye": Best CP generation (spell, 4+ each turn), but otherwise mediocre. 1st Turn buffs are good but not fantastic, and charging is okay for Stanks but not great.
"Anvilguard": Pretty okay opening CP gen with the +d3, but otherwise unimpressive for Stanks IMO.

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Quick question that may have been answered elsewhere already (if so, apologies):

Is it correct that Battlemages in any city configuration can take two spells automatically? Their city spell and a realm spell?

No, realm spells are used only when you use realm magic rules from malign sorcery, don't confuse the ability to use them with realm an army hails from. 

IF you use mentioned rules than all your mages know all realm spells for the duration of the battle

Edited by XReN
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, XReN said:

No, realm spells are used only when you use realm magic rules from malign sorcery, don't confuse the ability to use them with realm an army hails from. 

IF you use mentioned rules than all your mages know all realm spells for the duration of the battle

Thanks for the clarification!

41 minutes ago, Arathorn185 said:

Can Mercs be your retinue and adjunct? Or because no benefit from allegiance abilities, it’s no?

Double, but since I'm here, I think the Nimyard rough riders would get the City keyword (for instance, Hammerhal), am I correct in assuming that?

This would give vanguard deployment to all armies for just a command point.

Edited by zilberfrid

My initial thought was 'probably not', but I agree with zilberfrid after reading the allegiance ability again; the abilities come when you pick a CoS general, and it only requires a "friendly unit" and "friendly HERO" as the targets, respectively. Double checking the core rules, "models from your army are referred to as friendly models" - so if it's in your army, it can be chosen as retinue or adjutant (subject to the additional restrictions of model count etc).

I guess if your general trusts a bunch of cuthroat mercs to take a bullet for him, who are we to argue? ;)

44 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Double, but since I'm here, I think the Nimyard rough riders would get the City keyword (for instance, Hammerhal), am I correct in assuming that?

This would give vanguard deployment to all armies for just a command point.

Kinda but not in the way you're thinking, I think? Mercenaries come from your allies allotment, though ignore the usual keyword restrictions for allies, and it does say this:

"In addition, a MERCENARY unit cannot be the army’s general, cannot use or benefit from your army’s allegiance abilities, and cannot be a named character." and

"Instead of setting up a unit from this mercenary company on the battlefield, you can place it to one side and say that it is scouting as a reserve unit... Any number of units from this mercenary company can be set up this way."

So yes, the units bar general would have the CoS keyword (given they're freeguild units; the freeguild general has to have a horse, so must use the old warscroll I suppose) and arguably would get a city keyword too given the wording of the CoS allegiance rule; but couldn't take any benefit from it. And no other unit that's not in the merc company can use their deployment tactic.

But I'm not sure what you mean by 'vanguard deployment'? Any army can use the rough riders for the 1cp first turn cost + points etc, but they're still effectively treated like allies for the 1 in 4, points and don't get allegiance abilities.

As an aside, the reason I don't think that rule applies to mercs as retinue/adjutant is because they're not using (or benefiting from) the allegience ability, the CoS General is; they're only the enabling target - e.g. "If you pick a retinue, your general gains the following ability"

Edited by Arkhanist
clarified a little

9 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

Kinda but not in the way you're thinking, I think? Mercenaries come from your allies allotment, though ignore the usual keyword restrictions for allies, and it does say this:

"In addition, a MERCENARY unit cannot be the army’s general, cannot use or benefit from your army’s allegiance abilities, and cannot be a named character." and

"Instead of setting up a unit from this mercenary company on the battlefield, you can place it to one side and say that it is scouting as a reserve unit... Any number of units from this mercenary company can be set up this way."

So yes, the units bar general would have the CoS keyword (given they're freeguild units; the freeguild general has to have a horse, so must use the old warscroll I suppose) and arguably would get a city keyword too given the wording of the CoS allegiance rule; but couldn't take any benefit from it. And no other unit that's not in the merc company can use their deployment tactic.

But I'm not sure what you mean by 'vanguard deployment'? Any army can use the rough riders for the 1cp first turn cost + points etc, but they're still treated as allies for the 1 in 4, points and don't get allegiance abilities.

As an aside, the reason I don't think that rule applies to mercs as retinue/adjutant is because they're not using (or benefiting from) the allegience ability, the CoS General is; they're only the target.

That alligiance abilities thing foils the plan, curses.

Vanguard deployment is a Total War term, I meant reserve deployment.

They still could get buffed by General on Griffin (and technically foot), because they are Freeguild.

I don't think you can use the General on horse, because he was part of a warscroll that's been updated. Similarely, militia is out as well.

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

They still could get buffed by General on Griffin (and technically foot), because they are Freeguild.

I don't think you can use the General on horse, because he was part of a warscroll that's been updated. Similarely, militia is out as well.

Yes, they could get buffed if you're using the new warscrolls for the units which gained the freeguild keyword. The GHB merc companies were written for the old general alliance warscrolls, obviously, leaving a few holes! I've just spotted that the merc general is 0-1, so yeah, since he no longer has a warhorse option on the current scroll, you just can't take him; I was thinking there was a direct conflict where the company instructs you do something you can only do with an outdated warscroll, which you normally can't do.

Next update to the GHB will presumably clean this up, and maybe sooner if it gets FAQd.

5 hours ago, Arkhanist said:

Yes, they could get buffed if you're using the new warscrolls for the units which gained the freeguild keyword. The GHB merc companies were written for the old general alliance warscrolls, obviously, leaving a few holes! I've just spotted that the merc general is 0-1, so yeah, since he no longer has a warhorse option on the current scroll, you just can't take him; I was thinking there was a direct conflict where the company instructs you do something you can only do with an outdated warscroll, which you normally can't do.

Next update to the GHB will presumably clean this up, and maybe sooner if it gets FAQd.

This could by "my dudes", a batallion in my main city, the cavalry riding in to save neighbour cities (which obviously costs a bit of credit for the command of that city).

Sadly, there is no leadership to accompany them. Maybe I'll get a new GoG just to put Karl on a horse for this mission.

6 hours ago, Arathorn185 said:

It also says allies (and Mercs) may not benefit from allegiance abilities which the retinue choices are under 

Three months ago I would have said you are right.

technically magic and prayers are AAs too but they can be cast on allies (source: faq). So I‘d say a merc can also be an adjutant (and external advisor you might say)

Edited by JackStreicher

Can anyone tell me if the gryph hound that you get to set up with the castellant counts as a unit deployed for scions of the storm? Like, does the gryph hound allow one more unit to stay in reserve in the heavens in addition to the castellant? And does it count as a "drop" for deployment?

54 minutes ago, Fundre said:

Can anyone tell me if the gryph hound that you get to set up with the castellant counts as a unit deployed for scions of the storm? Like, does the gryph hound allow one more unit to stay in reserve in the heavens in addition to the castellant? And does it count as a "drop" for deployment?

It does count as "a unit on the table", it goes in the same "drop" as Lord Castellant/Veritant 

Hi guys,

I don't know if this has been asked but can you take stormcast allies in your cities lists if you wanted to take more SC than the 1/4 allowed?

For example is this list lega?

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- General
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
Cogsmith (60)
Battlemage (90)
Lord-Castellant (120)
- Allies
Lord-Ordinator (140)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (100)

Units
20 x Sequitors (440)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

War Machines
Helblaster Volley Gun (120)
Helblaster Volley Gun (120)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 260 / 400
Wounds: 135

9 cities
3 cities SC
2 SC allies

8 minutes ago, Fundre said:

I don't know if this has been asked but can you take stormcast allies in your cities lists if you wanted to take more SC than the 1/4 allowed?

Cities can't ally with SCE, so no. You can take SCE only per "Stormkeeps" battle trait as part of the City

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1