Tomb Kings still alive in AOS 2.0

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't read this as positively as you do... 'the old rules will still be online' and 'you can use them in narrative and open play' (which implicitly rules out matched play) don't suggest to me any kind of allowance for Tomb Kings in 2e, just that you can do what you like in your own games, which has always been the case. It's pretty clear there's no support for them coming and they're not being factored into anything in the new edition, beyond maybe being moved into Warhammer Legends at some point. I know any remaining Tomb King players must be fuelled by pure hope at this point but the army's dead as a doornail IMO. 

Quite interesting, but I'd not pin your hopes on them being there indefinitely.  The WH Community guys, as ace as they are, don't have any control over the decisions of the main rules team.  However it's very obvious that Tomb Kings still have got a huge following so you never know! :)

Just now, RuneBrush said:

Quite interesting, but I'd not pin your hopes on them being there indefinitely.  The WH Community guys, as ace as they are, don't have any control over the decisions of the main rules team.  However it's very obvious that Tomb Kings still have got a huge following so you never know! :)

Yeah, worth keeping in mind the Facebook guys can really only speak to how things are right now - much like your average store manager, they've really got no insight into where things are going or what GW's plans are.

6 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

However it's very obvious that Tomb Kings still have got a huge following so you never know!

Maybe it's something that should be mentioned on the Open Day this weekend...... ;) 

38 minutes ago, Drahazar said:

From GW its good news to here especially being open to approve stuff.

As mentioned a few times, not as good news as you think. Basically, rules and points will still exist but may go in the future but 100% will unlikely to be updated unless they get moved to the Legends range in which case there will be no points

I think the question is when are the Tomb Kings likely to get a Legends release. We Don't really know yet whether they plan to do all of the WFB factions, and how frequently they aim to add new ones.

Since they did a Dark Elves "Made to Order" to tie in with their elven releases I guess its possible we could see an Undead made to order range to tie in with the Night Haunt, Whether that would be Tomb Kings though is another matter entirely. It doesn't feel like most of the discontinued Ghosty stuff would be worth remaking, so maybe.

Of all the out of production Undead models, it feels as though our beloved Tomb Kings have the most ardent followers at least!

The problem I see with Tomb Kings is the only Grand Alliance they really fit in is Order from a narrative standpoint. Settra spat in the face of the Chaos gods after they blessed him, Nagash never did his commission of finding a way to give them immortal bodies of solid gold back when they were all alive and he already spent the advance they gave him, and the Tomb kings are too organized for destruction which leaves order (also stormcast are basically Immortal bodies gilded in golden armor). So if they were brought back into the narrative, they'd need to be ORDER units with a rule saying that they are treated as having DEATH keyword when it comes to spells and abilities

4 minutes ago, TheMuphinMan said:

The problem I see with Tomb Kings is the only Grand Alliance they really fit in is Order from a narrative standpoint. Settra spat in the face of the Chaos gods after they blessed him, Nagash never did his commission of finding a way to give them immortal bodies of solid gold back when they were all alive and he already spent the advance they gave him, and the Tomb kings are too organized for destruction which leaves order (also stormcast are basically Immortal bodies gilded in golden armor). So if they were brought back into the narrative, they'd need to be ORDER units with a rule saying that they are treated as having DEATH keyword when it comes to spells and abilities

Why that last part?  What about triggering their abilities on the Tomb Kings (or whatever faction name) keyword rather than Death?

They could be a sub faction just like the others they have made or released.  EIther way still being able to play them and possible later on matched play if I can get that approved by them as they are open to it and have done it before its not bad at all.

24 minutes ago, Drahazar said:

that is a good Idea maybe Settra the IMPERISHABLE found a way to come back and separate themselves into a separate realm and joined Order.

What if Settra is already a Stormcast that has yet to be revealed...

I found myself recently reading about all the mortarchs in the world that was, and wondered if they were planning yet more mortarchs/legions after Grief. Death is still a pretty small alliance after all, and there's clearly vacancies there. 

This then got me wondering about tomb kings. What if they are planning to give them an age of sigmar makeover like sylvaneth, deepkin, overlords etc? Something to make them less generic Egyptian? If so, it'd be a while, and they'd probably want to do it right, and especially leave it until after all the new nighthaunt armies have been purchased, so as not to split sales between the two factions. Also to throw some love to destruction and the less-supported order factions first. 

Maybe they'll wait until next edition. Maybe they'll be incorporated into a fresh expanded deadwalkers line. Maybe they'll be unallied visitors from space, like deathly seraphon with the politics of the flesh-eater courts. 

All PURE speculation but it just feels GW AoS style somehow. Certainly they haven't done anything yet because they don't know how to incorporate them in a way that is more unique. 

If it turns out I'm right and anyone wants to give me a prize, I will not object. 

NB all of this started as a result of wishing I could get some allied archers in my planned legions of nagash army ?

2 hours ago, Thebiggesthat said:

They don't really fit anywhere so I'd be disappointed if they stayed. I think that with some converting some of the bits might make a cool Death army in the Shyish realm from New Lahmia

They fit just fine.

The Mortal Realms are huge, and as we've seen with things like Overlords and Deepkin, there really is no limit to what can fit in.

I'm not sure why some people seem hell bent on peeing in the corn flakes of some others.

Honestly people just need to let it go GW aren't going to support them. It's highly unlikely they are coming back and if they were they would be back by now. At the moment they are pushing the dark gothic theme with Death. They said as such in the white dwarf. It's why they designed the mortarch's in such a fashion. For example would tomb kings fit in this picture? GW could of easily kept them but decided not to. 

AoSMortrach-June13-Art2en.jpg

2 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Why that last part?  What about triggering their abilities on the Tomb Kings (or whatever faction name) keyword rather than Death?

A lot of the abilities that exempt "DEATH models", such as the undeath energy explosion from the mortis engine, should also exempt Tomb Kings from a thematic standpoint but if Tomb Kings were simply given the DEATH keyword in a rerelease they'd fall under grand alliance death.

Flesh Eater Counts in the fluff are separated into two camps, ones in hiding that follow the Carrion King, who would fit into GA: Destruction pretty well IMO, and the traitors that serve Nagash. 

From my understanding, and I'm not the most well-versed in the fluff so forgive me if I'm wrong, the TL:DR of each grand alliance are basically,

Chaos: We praise one or more of gods/demi-gods listed as chaos. ex: Nurgle, Khorne, Slannesh, Tzeentch, Hashut, The Great Horned Rat, Archaon etc
Order: We want to develop civilizations or we are trees
Destruction: Our god/gods doesn't identify as a chaos god, we don't really want to develop civilization, and we aren't trees
Death: We are thralls to Nagash or we are Nagash

The other option would be to change the description of Grand Alliance Death to expand it to include more than just those that serve under Nagash.

1 hour ago, Captain Roderick said:

I found myself recently reading about all the mortarchs in the world that was, and wondered if they were planning yet more mortarchs/legions after Grief. Death is still a pretty small alliance after all, and there's clearly vacancies there. 

This then got me wondering about tomb kings. What if they are planning to give them an age of sigmar makeover like sylvaneth, deepkin, overlords etc? Something to make them less generic Egyptian? If so, it'd be a while, and they'd probably want to do it right, and especially leave it until after all the new nighthaunt armies have been purchased, so as not to split sales between the two factions. Also to throw some love to destruction and the less-supported order factions first. 

Maybe they'll wait until next edition. Maybe they'll be incorporated into a fresh expanded deadwalkers line. Maybe they'll be unallied visitors from space, like deathly seraphon with the politics of the flesh-eater courts. 

All PURE speculation but it just feels GW AoS style somehow. Certainly they haven't done anything yet because they don't know how to incorporate them in a way that is more unique. 

If it turns out I'm right and anyone wants to give me a prize, I will not object. 

NB all of this started as a result of wishing I could get some allied archers in my planned legions of nagash army ?

Yes, when will Nagash open his next chamber?

16 minutes ago, TheMuphinMan said:

A lot of the abilities that exempt "DEATH models", such as the undeath energy explosion from the mortis engine, should also exempt Tomb Kings from a thematic standpoint but if Tomb Kings were simply given the DEATH keyword in a rerelease they'd fall under grand alliance death.

Flesh Eater Counts in the fluff are separated into two camps, ones in hiding that follow the Carrion King, who would fit into GA: Destruction pretty well IMO, and the traitors that serve Nagash. 

From my understanding, and I'm not the most well-versed in the fluff so forgive me if I'm wrong, the TL:DR of each grand alliance are basically,

Chaos: We praise one or more of gods/demi-gods listed as chaos. ex: Nurgle, Khorne, Slannesh, Tzeentch, Hashut, The Great Horned Rat, Archaon etc
Order: We want to develop civilizations or we are trees
Destruction: Our god/gods doesn't identify as a chaos god, we don't really want to develop civilization, and we aren't trees
Death: We are thralls to Nagash or we are Nagash

The other option would be to change the description of Grand Alliance Death to expand it to include more than just those that serve under Nagash.

The whole point is that order is meant to be the various civilisations who exactly are not friends are now forced to work together to survive against the other three alliances in order to preserve their civilisations. To make a death faction that is somehow immune to nagash just seems superficial and snow flaky, it's why the flesh eater courts are not standing their ground. They are running as far as they can from the great necromancer and I doubt people want TK to be a faction that is running to the hills as soon as Nagash pops his head out.  

Archived