AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 minute ago, amysrevenge said:

They still reroll 1s in all phases.  It's only "reroll all failed saves" that is in the combat phase.  So combat phase is better, but it's not like they are suddenly Save '-' in the shooting phase.

yeah, but 4+ reroll 1 is far from being as resilient as 4+ reroll all. 10 wounds save 4+ reroll 1 for 120 pts is not that great. And with easy acess to rend-2 in shooting phase, for Order and Chaos at least, they can drop FAST in comparison to their staying power in melee

6 minutes ago, ledha said:

yeah, but 4+ reroll 1 is far from being as resilient as 4+ reroll all. 10 wounds save 4+ reroll 1 for 120 pts is not that great. And with easy acess to rend-2 in shooting phase, for Order and Chaos at least, they can drop FAST in comparison to their staying power in melee

So don’t get them attacked by misile weapons ;) attack them first with brute force in Sigmars name 

8 minutes ago, ledha said:

In the context of SD buffs though, 3+ rr1s is much closer to 3+ rr all than the same comparison with 4+.

1 minute ago, amysrevenge said:

In the context of SD buffs though, 3+ rr1s is much closer to 3+ rr all than the same comparison with 4+.

against non-rending attack, yes, as soon as a rend-1 come into the fray, the difference between 4+ rr1 and 4+ reroll all become very apparent. A rend-2 make the rr1 basically irrelevant.

22 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

All you have to do is put greatmace arms and a prime shoulder pad on the same model. No conversions necessary.

22 hours ago, PJetski said:

Just put the greatmace on the primes

You dont have to follow the instructions 100%

I counted twice now, only 4 greatmaces in the box.?

I have a local tourney coming up in a few weeks. I have the general idea of my list made, but looking for ideas that may cover all the bases. I run a vanguard themed army. I find many armies have a hard time fighting all over the board like vanguard can (except deepkin, those jerks). My list so far:

Stormhost: Astral Templars

Leaders

Lord Aquilor - General, Dauntless Hunters, Godbeast Plate

Lord Arcanum - Lightning Blast

Battleline

Vanguard Hunters x5 - sabres

Judicators x5 - bows

Liberators x5 - grandhammer

Artillery

Celestar Ballista

Other

Vanguard Palladors x3 - javelins

Longstrike raptors x3

Longstrike Raptors x3

This is 1480 right here. I have about 500 points to add to it and have pretty much any option available. The idea is to not have any critical piece of my army, save the aquilor. So as I lose units, it's not a "crucial" blow. I typically included a venator or azyros and a relictor for supporting. Sequitors filling a similar role as the liberators, hold objectives and speed bump. Aetherwings have been useful too. Neave works well too. I was thinking of trying evocators or upgrading the arcanum to a tauralon so I can cast the comet every turn. Anyways, let me know what you think.

7 hours ago, ledha said:

shooting attacks, mortal wounds and attacks in hero phase.

Sequtors reroll their failed save only in the combat phase. Against shooting attacks (and mortal wounds ofc), they aren't more resilient than a pack of liberators, and are 20% more expensive. If they don't have staunch defenders+castellant, they will die very easily against any semi-threatening gunline.

That also mean that freeguild handgunners or crossbowmen, with all of their shoots in charge phase (weither you charge them or because of the freeguild special rules), won't have any problem to deal with sequitors. They will have at best a 3+ rr 1 while being shot at (because staunch defenders don't work when you charge), and it doesn't protect that well against 30+  shootings attacks with 2+/2+/-1/1

Note too that being unable to reroll their armor save  outside combat phase mean that any melee unit that pile-in in the hero phase (khorne, daughter of khaine, stormcast in anvils stormhost, nighthaunts with a 10+ charge roll, heartguard berserkers from the fyreslayers bataillion, bonneplitterz maybe ?) can cleave trough them with ease.

So basically they just need to avoid pissing off their natural allies 

1 hour ago, Darkrich said:

I have a local tourney coming up in a few weeks. I have the general idea of my list made, but looking for ideas that may cover all the bases. I run a vanguard themed army. I find many armies have a hard time fighting all over the board like vanguard can (except deepkin, those jerks). My list so far:

Leaders

Battleline

Judicators x5 - bows

Artillery

Celestar Ballista

Other

Longstrike raptors x3

Longstrike Raptors x3

This is 1480 right here. I have about 500 points to add to it and have pretty much any option available. The idea is to not have any critical piece of my army, save the aquilor. So as I lose units, it's not a "crucial" blow. I typically included a venator or azyros and a relictor for supporting. Sequitors filling a similar role as the liberators, hold objectives and speed bump. Aetherwings have been useful too. Neave works well too. I was thinking of trying evocators or upgrading the arcanum to a tauralon so I can cast the comet every turn. Anyways, let me know what you think.

Think you lack damage and survuvability. I really respect the idea to have a number of units as lack of them is a frequently a Stormcast issue and it's interesting and different, but you've traded it for the stuff they're good at I think.

Why the Templars? If you were to take SD the number of units in the table would probably give you nice overlap, for largely defensive units, in need of further survuvability, seems ideal.

You might want to invest in the Justicar conclave given you've already got two Raptors, it would certainly suit the "I've got more units than you can target" vibe and enhance your already strong map control. A Knight Azyros would further augment your shootiness. 

I would then recommend as big a unit of something durable to sort of call a double bluff. Focus on the big unit? Get irritated and out manouvered by many things. Focus on the many things? Big unit in your face.

My buddy is offering to part with some unpainted vanguard models. I think its most of a start collecting box. I don't main stormcast but have been thinking about playing them as a second army. I've heard this is the 'worst' chamber but I love the way they look and farstriders. Anyway are there any competitive lists that run this chamber and if so what are some strategies I could use with their units, they look more hit and run?

1 hour ago, Future said:

My buddy is offering to part with some unpainted vanguard models. I think its most of a start collecting box. I don't main stormcast but have been thinking about playing them as a second army. I've heard this is the 'worst' chamber but I love the way they look and farstriders. Anyway are there any competitive lists that run this chamber and if so what are some strategies I could use with their units, they look more hit and run?

Hurricane Raptors seem to be in a good place atm, and while there's some disagreement I think Palladors are pretty decent for their points. We won't see it topping the tournament leaderboards but I think they are "casual-competitive". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Future said:

I did sit down a while ago and tried to come up with a vanguard list. I think it would actually be possible to build a decent list (not great) with them, but you probably don't want to put anything more than the minimum points into the hunter troops. Also keep in mind you need the lord acquilor if you're going to go down the route of a full list. I wouldn't mind experimenting with them before I actually bought any models...

Biggest issue is they seem like they have low damage output for their points so you might have some trouble lasting long.

12 hours ago, Gottkaiser said:

[Noob Mode] What is SD?

Its short for "staunch defender" a command trait for unaffiliated Stormcast generals. Grants a +1 to save bubble around said general. Sequitors benefiting from SD and the WL (warding lantern) are effectively at a 2+ rerollable save making them nigh invincible outside of MW (mortal wounds).  

10 hours ago, Darkrich said:

Leaders

Battleline

Judicators x5 - bows

Artillery

Celestar Ballista

Other

Longstrike raptors x3

Longstrike Raptors x3

I will run a similar list :) and I placed a 10 unit of evocators to put some hard hits 

13 hours ago, schwabbele said:

I counted twice now, only 4 greatmaces in the box.?

Yes, there are only 4 in the box, but 1 can easily be put on a prime. For the 5th you have 3 options, but a Soul Wars box and wind up with a ton  of extra unusable models, convert one yourself, or buy the small 3 man snapfit box.

10 hours ago, Future said:

They overcome a lot of SC weaknesses but they come at the expense of not having the strengths of the other chambers so it's sort of moot. Also with Look out Sir rule now their assassination capabilities have been notably nerfed.

I suspect you would have to be rather good at the finer points of kiting to play them to their potential, an even then the game as a whole dosent really favour evasive manouvures. SC traits and abilities tend to also favour more united battle lines. 

BUT I'm pretty sure they would be really fun.

• Like 1