AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 hours ago, The World Tree said:

Castigators are just badly designed. They do nothing (except vs 2. factions) that doesn't already exist. They only exist because someone (a weirdo) thought crossbows shooting vases would be cool.

The thing is, they aren't bad (like Prosectors), there just isn't any point to them.

They really are good , not sure how you can compare them to prosecutors, they serve a completely different function to castigators. 

They play differently to judicators, try a bit of synergy with heroes and then come back ??

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

2 extra wounds over judicators @160 points

double the amount of melee attacks 

reroll ones or rend 2 (or always rend 2 with Azyros buff)

18” range has never been an issue if you deploy well.

Solid points, but there are some things to remeber
Range on Judicators guarantee first turn shooting without wasting SotS slots in any scenario unless opponent backs up with his deployment
Azyros is anothet tax distributed over castigators, so the point-per-wound difference decreases, also if you will be able to protect castigators it might be significantly harder to keep Azyros alive
Then there is a new big factor for shooting: Look out Sir! Judicators can give me 4 4+/3+/-1/d1 and 1 3+/d6hits 3+/-1/d1 against little heroes, whille castigators get just 5 4+/3+/-2/d1 and 1 3+/3+/-2/d1 
So your good rend does not matter if you can't hit the target

Summarising all that with the fact that judicators are Battleline places classic over fancy ghostbuster grenadires, at least for me. 

• Like 1

1000 point escalation league Ill be playing in two weeks from now, my first. How does this strike you as an all purpose 1k list, I'm probably doing something wrong...

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

Total: 940 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 58

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, XReN said:

Solid points, but there are some things to remeber
Range on Judicators guarantee first turn shooting without wasting SotS slots in any scenario unless opponent backs up with his deployment
Azyros is anothet tax distributed over castigators, so the point-per-wound difference decreases, also if you will be able to protect castigators it might be significantly harder to keep Azyros alive
Then there is a new big factor for shooting: Look out Sir! Judicators can give me 4 4+/3+/-1/d1 and 1 3+/d6hits 3+/-1/d1 against little heroes, whille castigators get just 5 4+/3+/-2/d1 and 1 3+/3+/-2/d1 
So your good rend does not matter if you can't hit the target

Just choose reroll ones in your example, and deploy in the sky if you want turn one shooting ??

Azyros is far from a tax with his warscroll changes. The guy is amazing and benefits melee now aswell. This improves his value greatly 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Hey guys I just picked up my first box of Sequitors, strangely it doesnt look like I can build a Prime with a Greatmace based on the instructions. Has anyone else encountered this? If so what did you do about it?

As another poster has said, the normal Greatmace arms fit, but I think you're actually better converting the Prime's weapon, because if you give the Prime one of the standard Greatmaces, you don't have enough for the rest of the unit 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CountryMou3e said:

They play differently to judicators, try a bit of synergy with heroes and then come back ??

Unless you're going full-on Castigators with the Soulstrike battalion, there's no role they fill that something else can't do. Doesn't matter what heroes I take, there's something else that can do it equally or better. If the only "synergy" you claim is an Azyros, my opinion won't change. ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

As another poster has said, the normal Greatmace arms fit, but I think you're actually better converting the Prime's weapon, because if you give the Prime one of the standard Greatmaces, you don't have enough for the rest of the unit 

If you're looking at converting Sequitors, I recently had great luck chopping off a weapon arm at the elbow, and replacing it with the arm of a javelin-Prosecutor Prime (so it has the lion-mouth gauntlet) also chopped off at the elbow - then you've got a long-handled haft which you can chop the javelin off of, and stick on a normal mace head.  Pretty seamless if you do the chopping smoothly.  And then there are extra spare arms in the kit to replace the shield arm easily.

• Like 2

Hello all,

I have a question for you distinguished people.  I recently started a stormcast army and I had some questions regarding the Sacrosanct Chamber Battalion.  It seems to me that we would not be able to play this in normal matched play at 2000 pts correct?  It would require 7 heroes (4 from grand convocation and 3 from hailstrorm battery.  

Second question: Let's say I do take sacrosanct, do I get the benefits of the battalions within it?  Ex: Cleansing Phalanx- Evocator buffs to sequitors along with the warscroll ability from the sacrosanct battalion(attempt to cast 1 more spell)?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it and Praise SIGMAR

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marcoangelo33 said:

Hello all,

I have a question for you distinguished people.  I recently started a stormcast army and I had some questions regarding the Sacrosanct Chamber Battalion.  It seems to me that we would not be able to play this in normal matched play at 2000 pts correct?  It would require 7 heroes (4 from grand convocation and 3 from hailstrorm battery.  

Second question: Let's say I do take sacrosanct, do I get the benefits of the battalions within it?  Ex: Cleansing Phalanx- Evocator buffs to sequitors along with the warscroll ability from the sacrosanct battalion(attempt to cast 1 more spell)?

1) Doesn't matter, the minimum buy in is way above 2000 points anyways, so you can't take it at that point level. The "mega Battalions" are generally reserved for Narrative or "Apocalypse". 

2) The +1 cast from Sacrosanct only affects a Lord Arcanum. 

Edited by Requizen

2 hours ago, Marcoangelo33 said:

Hello all,

As above, also the only "chamber battalion" you can fit in matched play is Vanguard Chamber

In case you guys aren't following the Balancing Stormcast, I made a list of changes I want to see for Stormcast.

Goals:
Remove the Staunch Defender crutch by adding it to the Battle Trait as an aura while wholly within 6" of a hero
Reduce point costs of weak/underused units like Celestant Prime, Retributors, Prosecutors, Desolators
Add new unit niches to units lacking purpose like Castigators, Exorcist, Liberators
Improve functionality or significantly reduce the cost of the truly awful battalions
Improve Stormhosts - including a redesign to the Hammers of Sigmar command ability so it is less abusive
Increase list diversity

Let me know what you think!

Stormcast Battletome Changes.pdf

Skyborne slayers in second edition, how does it work? It’s not in the book, and the one I found va GW website states you can drop them 5” away from enemy units. It’s 190 points in the new battletome, which makes it insanely much better than all the other ones. It also doesn’t exist in the app. 

Any answers are very much appreciated! ????

7 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Skyborne slayers in second edition, how does it work? It’s not in the book, and the one I found va GW website states you can drop them 5” away from enemy units. It’s 190 points in the new battletome, which makes it insanely much better than all the other ones. It also doesn’t exist in the app. 

Any answers are very much appreciated! ????

Battalions are really screwy in the app. It has points in GHB2018 and you can find it in Grand Alliance: Order, so it's legal. 

It is very strong right now, by my estimation. 5" charges are insanely reliable now with the CP reroll (I've had games with Skyborne in the past where I failed multiple...), and Battleshock Immunity is always, always good. While Sequitors > Liberators and Evocators > Paladins, neither choice suddenly became bad and getting 10 Paladins into nearly anything is still really, really strong. The buff to Crossbow Judicators also makes them a reasonable choice to take in it.

It has many of the same weaknesses it had before, of course. All units have to come in at the same time and in a small location, reducing some of the tactical flexibility, for instance, and it's not very good at playing certain missions. However, the reduced price on the Battalion helps with some of that, since you can bring more supplemental units to bear alongside it.

I think it's a worthy choice for a competitive build. It was already before - few things in the game can stand up to 15-20 Paladins charging them, and the #HordeMeta makes Decimators and XBow Judicators a more interesting choice than previously. I think you could easily make a solid list out of it - though I've been wondering about using a Stormhost alongside it. Dropping down and getting the double turn with Anvils would be... disgustingly beautiful, though Skyborne doesn't get much out of the Passive and Artifact. Vindicators would be quite solid, as the Command Ability and Passive are both quite good for your Alpha strike. 

30 minutes ago, PJetski said:

In case you guys aren't following the Balancing Stormcast, I made a list of changes I want to see for Stormcast.

Goals:
Remove the Staunch Defender crutch by adding it to the Battle Trait as an aura while wholly within 6" of a hero
Reduce point costs of weak/underused units like Celestant Prime, Retributors, Prosecutors, Desolators
Add new unit niches to units lacking purpose like Castigators, Exorcist, Liberators
Improve functionality or significantly reduce the cost of the truly awful battalions
Improve Stormhosts - including a redesign to the Hammers of Sigmar command ability so it is less abusive
Increase list diversity

I... agree with some things in here, but man, this is 3.5 pages of wishlisting for an already powerful army. A lot of the changes are unnecessary and will just push Stormcast into a really hated position, if not make them busted altogether. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PJetski said:

Goals:
Increase list diversity

Hot air 

What do people think about Aventis ? I find him quite sexy in comparison to the generic LAOT (20 pts more for 1 more attack, a autoheal, a bette spell, bouncing back mortal wounds and A SECOND FREAKING UNBIND ?), and a fast fluying HERO/BEHEMOT/WIZARD is quite awesome in the new scenarios

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, CountryMou3e said:

2 extra wounds over judicators @160 points

double the amount of melee attacks 

reroll ones or rend 2 (or always rend 2 with Azyros buff)

18” range has never been an issue if you deploy well.

Two extra wounds is massively inferior to 6" extra range. It's not even close.

The number of melee attacks these units make is totally irrelevant. They do so little in CQC that it's not even worth taking it into account.

Both units do roughly 2.2 wounds per turn to a 4+ save in shooting. Against night haunt, chaos daemons, and seraphon obviously castigators are better but you can't count on running into any of those.

Battleline makes judicators by far the superior choice in any situation where you're not already taking 3 battleline, at which point they're just probably the better choice.

18" range has always been an issue if you play a competent opponent with a decent army. 24" means it takes 2 turns to close down on you, 18" means it takes one. You COULD screen them, but Stormcast armies don't really have the bodies to spare and considering how little damage either unit actually does, it's pretty wasteful to screen either. In fact, in my experience you're just as likely to use judicators as a deepstrike screen as the other way around. Most games judicators serve as backline objective grabbers that offer consistent moderate ranged support. Castigators short range makes them subpar at this task.

Taking a huge unit of castigators doesn't really make sense, they'll likely only get one round of shooting off as they're simply too juicy of a target.

Taking a single 3 man unit of Castigators is decent but probably not as valuable as the command point you could get instead. Castigators are also directly competing with the Celestar ballista which not only out ranges them, but also out damages them AND has more effective wounds against shooting attacks while in cover. The crew of engineers even means they both have 3 bodies to cap objectives. I can still see taking Judicators due to them being battleline, but castigators are pretty clearly outclassed by the Celestar.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, Requizen said:

I... agree with some things in here, but man, this is 3.5 pages of wishlisting for an already powerful army. A lot of the changes are unnecessary and will just push Stormcast into a really hated position, if not make them busted altogether. 

I'd be happy if they just reverted the Dracoth nerfs. Especially for the poor poor tempestors.

I don't own the Stormcast battletome cause I'm a death player, but I want to use the Soul Wars Stormcast half as a guest army at my place so I can show AOS to my friends with the matched play rules. I am mainly looking for what stormhost and artifacts that would be a decent fit for this list. I know it's not a legal list because of the missing battleline but we're not gonna take it to a tournament.

I've trimmed off the uneven units and I'm left with this:

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General

Knight-Incantor (140)

UNITS
3 x Castigators (80)
5 x Sequitors (120)
-Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields (blades better?)

WAR MACHINES
Celestar Ballista (100)

TOTAL: 680/750 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 35
LEADERS: 2/4 BATTLELINES: 1 (2+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/2 ARTILLERY: 1/2
ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 0/200

Shooting for 700 or 750 points. Got malign sorcery, so got some room for some endless spells.

Any stormhost and artifact suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Bah, small fun tournament, feel like I should say goodbye to my stormcast.  Maybe with a 'I refuse to tke magic' theme. Antimagic. Even if all this shoots myself in the foot against some very strong lists that might be there. It just feels nice.

With that in mind, msu skyborne slayers and stardrake or stardrake and fulminators?

Or should I proxy an incantor and take a comet or dais and maybe some other mw tools...

Sample idea:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Celestant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Lord-Castellant (100)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak (lol)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Protectors (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
5 x Decimators (200)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
Skyborne Slayers (190)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102

Edited by Turragor

3 hours ago, xking said:

I feel like stormcast have too many 1 damage weapons. Like why does the Lord celestant on foot have only one damage weapons.     With how the Lore talks about their weapons, you think they actually be able to do something impressive.                                                                                                                               If liberators had two damage weapons would they be broken?

Most of the heroes in the game don't hit that hard. Look the khorne heroes for example

2 hours ago, Namelessone81 said:

I played today with the aetherstrike battalion with a touch of sarconanct with devastating result for my opponent :) (destruction) 

i think that it is viable in this meta with the azyros new ability and with he aid of shock and awe :) 

Hu ? the aetherstrike don't have any point anymore and isn't legal in matched play then. Except if you are talking with the one from the kharadron overlords book

14 minutes ago, ledha said:

Most of the heroes in the game don't hit that hard. Look the khorne heroes for example

Hu ? the aetherstrike don't have any point anymore and isn't legal in matched play then. Except if you are talking with the one from the kharadron overlords book

It is in the app and it has 80 points

but I just saw its not in the generals handbook 2018 .... 

damn I just anihilated my friend with a non excistent battalion :(