AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

A lord arcanum on Tauralon can actually have THREE 6+ save after save (mount trait, hammer of sigmar trait, the stormcast armor), and even 4 if you add a allied elf archmage

a flying caster with a 3+/6++/6+++/6++++/6+++++ can be potentially hilarious

I'm hesitating for my next char: tauralon or celestan prime. (I already have pretty much everything except the vanguard line of products)

(I didn't take tauralon already because of price£$/design/not-super-fun-nore-super-efficient)

Advice?

Edited by GeneralZero

4 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm hesitating for my next char: tauralon or celestan prime. (I already have pretty much everything except the vanguard line of products)

(I didn't take tauralon already because of price£$/design/not-super-fun-nore-super-efficient)

Advice?

Both are reasonable choices nowadays. Prime is very strong but a glass cannon - he wants to drop and murder some baddies before getting smashed back. Tauralon is more of a tanky support - fairly good in combat, but mostly going to be dropping spells and buffing/debuffing while not dying. They fill different roles.

10 minutes ago, Lardidar said:

Good day all,

Is a vanguard auxiliary army a thing? I don't have the book but love the look of the palladors and Aquilor.

Yes it is. Also combined with some Sacrosanct for Soulstrike.

What it's not though, is a hammer list - you need use it's maneuverability to play to objectives with it.

2 hours ago, AdamR said:

Yes it is. Also combined with some Sacrosanct for Soulstrike.

What it's not though, is a hammer list - you need use it's maneuverability to play to objectives with it.

I would characterize the Soulstrike+Vanguard list as mayhem based.  You pop in and ambush with your soul strike, sowing chaos.  Your opponent then has to respond to something while your vanguard is all over the board harrying objectives.  

I've been really interested in trying the list, some of us had a good bit of debate on it several pages back.  Is just unfortunate I have very few of the models...

• Like 1

And also they come with molded bases, which, though nice to look at, make it tricky matching the rest of your army.

ETA: And on a personal note I appreciated the Gryph-hound, as the second hand Silver Tower box I got was complete except for missing the Gryph-hound.  lol

Edited by amysrevenge

6 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Is the easy-build box the only way to get Castigators outside of Soul Wars? So you have monopose and have to convert every Prime into a regular Castigator?

So far.  For primes I just leave the shoulder pads and make some other visual indicator.  Messing with the shoulder pads is too much of a pain.

28 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

So far.  For primes I just leave the shoulder pads and make some other visual indicator.  Messing with the shoulder pads is too much of a pain.

I've done one shoulder pad (the shield Sequitor-Prime from Soul Wars) and I agree that it is too much of a pain.  It would take an unusual circumstance to do it again.

And the EtB Castigator-Prime would be even worse, with the shoulder-leaning bow splitting it down the middle.

15 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I've done one shoulder pad (the shield Sequitor-Prime from Soul Wars) and I agree that it is too much of a pain.  It would take an unusual circumstance to do it again.

And the EtB Castigator-Prime would be even worse, with the shoulder-leaning bow splitting it down the middle.

I built the alternate knight incantor that came with the magazine last night.  By far the best ETB model I've built.  The shoulder pads cover the seams and the lion pad is completely discrete.  Still not sure why he's labeled as a knight incantor when he looks almost identical to an Evocator (which I'll using him as).

What spell would you choose for a Lord Arcanum on Dracoline supporting an Evocators on Dracoline unit (see my previous list as an example)?

He already has a defensive spell (Mystic shield) and a mid-range offensive spell (Prime Electrids Arcane Bolt), so I don't know if the third spell should be offensive or a buff.

I just got my first box of Judicators and Evocators respectively. From what I've read there is one way to build these two units so that they are reasonably competitive and you're not unecessarily hamstringing your forces.

Judicators=Bows

Evocators=Grandstaves

I'd like to hear the TGA community's take. Personally I think Evo's look great with either build but I think the Crossbows look best on the Judicators by a bit. 

Edited by Black Blade

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

I just got my first box of Judicators and Evocators respectively. From what I've read there is one way to build these two units so that they are reasonably competitive and you're not unecessarily hamstringing your forces.

Judicators=Bows

Evocators=Grandstaves

You are absolutely on the right track, so I'd sure vote for both those configurations... but let's see what others say. Judicators with Skybolt/Shockbolt Bows have the ability to keep back and hold backfield objectives, which for 160pts is a more useful role than suicidal deepstrikes 9" from the enemy. Evocators with staves are absolutely bonkers - 2" is a massive bonus for 40mm based models, and D2 is so good against the vast majority of foes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

Judicators=Bows

Evocators=Grandstaves

I'd like to hear the TGA community's take. Personally I think Evo's look great with either build but I think the Crossbows look best on the Judicators by a bit. 

The crossbow Judicators are much improved now IMHO. First and foremost, they have an extra attack and can be deployed within range via Scions. Secondly, there's a lot more units running around with rend immunity, so this weakness is less of a factor.

At 3+ to hit, they have good synergy with Knights Azyros who may already be buffing a bunch of Ballistae or Sequitors. 2s on the dice are still a dead roll, but much better than, say, rerolling 1s on a 4+ to hit (Hurricane Raptors).

The unit superweapon's 1d3 guaranteed mortal wounds against units of 6+ is handy. Decent range too, at 18".

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Roark said:

The crossbow Judicators are much improved now IMHO.

Definitely improved, but I just find basically every Stormcast unit to be too expensive to be used disposably just to inflict a few wounds on a target that will be all over them immediately. Especially since they're best against hordes with low saves. I fear they couldn't kill enough of whatever they land near in order to clear their LZ and be safe!

26 minutes ago, Roark said:

The crossbow Judicators are much improved now IMHO. First and foremost, they have an extra attack and can be deployed within range via Scions. Secondly, there's a lot more units running around with rend immunity, so this weakness is less of a factor.

At 3+ to hit, they have good synergy with Knights Azyros who may already be buffing a bunch of Ballistae or Sequitors. 2s on the dice are still a dead roll, but much better than, say, rerolling 1s on a 4+ to hit (Hurricane Raptors).

The unit superweapon's 1d3 guaranteed mortal wounds against units of 6+ is handy. Decent range too, at 18".

Yea this has been the issue giving me pause, I've been playing a lot of "laugh at your rending" armies lately and most of those just flat out bring back dead dudes so those mortal wounds and dice saturation might have a place in my force. However if they were 18" or even as low as 15" range I wouldn't even be asking but 12" ...

IS. SO. TERRIBLE for a unit that doesn't actually want to be in hand to hand. 

1 hour ago, Galamund said:

Definitely improved, but I just find basically every Stormcast unit to be too expensive to be used disposably just to inflict a few wounds on a target that will be all over them immediately. Especially since they're best against hordes with low saves. I fear they couldn't kill enough of whatever they land near in order to clear their LZ and be safe!

53 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Yea this has been the issue giving me pause, I've been playing a lot of "laugh at your rending" armies lately and most of those just flat out bring back dead dudes so those mortal wounds and dice saturation might have a place in my force. However if they were 18" or even as low as 15" range I wouldn't even be asking but 12" ...

IS. SO. TERRIBLE for a unit that doesn't actually want to be in hand to hand. 

Yeah, 12" is poor range, but from my perspective these are issues for deployment. Sending a Judicator unit in alone is obviously going to result in them getting creamed.

But I've usually 11-12 drops in every list I write now. I've also got 3 Ballistae dropping out of Azyr, a cheapish little screener and sometimes a blob of Evocators. Judicators can still shoot from behind a screen in deepstrike.

That gang of units can annihilate a flank pretty handily in my experience.

43 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Hey guys which lord Ordinator is the better one? Grandhammer or dual hammers?

For me I don't want him in combat and I already own the dual hammer one so I'm sticking with him. Although if I was to buy one now I'd probably get the Grand hammer because he looks cooler. 

19 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Which one does average more damage?

I think its the grandhammer. But that's not accounting for the 6s doing extra damage for either of them. Although neither do great damage so it's not really an issue as far as I can see 

Edited by aceytrixx