AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Fuxxx said:

Does anyone have the number of current warscrolls plus Stormsire and the ones from the Dominion box to estimate how many more we'll get?

At the bottom of the article it says 76 warscrolls.

Additionally - but not related to your question - the images in the article show show several units of Annihilators, either all carrying shields or all carrying hammers. Looks like it's one or the other rather than mixed.

1 hour ago, Fuxxx said:

Does anyone have the number of current warscrolls plus Stormsire and the ones from the Dominion box to estimate how many more we'll get?

1 hour ago, jeanfluflu said:

Well a rapid look at the warscroll builder tells me that we currently have 63 warscrolls available (couting the dominion box).

add to that:
2 dragon princes
1 named character for hammer sof sigmar
knight relictor
Knight judicator
bladed vindictor
big hammer annihilators
new archery unit.
drake cavalry
drake hero

brings the total to 73 warscrolls, maybe i missed some of them (maybe we can add the sequitor underworld band as well as Gardus steelsoul).

I think no more new units.

We counted it to 72 in discord.

53 currently incl Gardus. 
+7 in Dominion. 
+11 previewed (you missed the chariot). 
+1 judicator split. 

Lord Commander might have a generic build for 73. 

Could be counting warscroll battalions that aren’t legal in matched play. 

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Like 1

Just now, Freejack02 said:

Interesting, it's going to be fun to crash into the most models possible (near a priority target) then use your 15 tail attacks to execute it with extreme prejudice... not a model you want to surround I suppose. 

I wrote this somewhere else, but I would not be surprised if the tail gets FAQ'd. I don't think any other horde killer moves in the game allow you to gain attacks from models in range that are not part of the unit you are attacking.

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I wrote this somewhere else, but I would not be surprised if the tail gets FAQ'd. I don't think any other horde killer moves in the game allow you to gain attacks from models in range that are not part of the unit you are attacking.

It's identical to the wording on Decimators - the big difference is those are only 2" with a comparatively small base size... where the Dracothions are expected to be pretty damn big. I could see it getting faq'd because of abuse, but I think the wording is correct. 

Looks like it was made to be a defensive measure to prevent hordes from surrounding it; but seems to be a pretty terrifying offensive tool as well. 

4 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Really? this is the Decimator right now

Cleaving Blow: A single swing of a thunderaxe can carve through several foes.

The Attacks characteristic of a Thunderaxe is equal to the number of enemy models within 2" of the attacking model when the number of attacks made with the weapon is determined.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Freejack02 said:

It's identical to the wording on Decimators - the big difference is those are only 2" with a comparatively small base size... where the Dracothions are expected to be pretty damn big. I could see it getting faq'd because of abuse, but I think the wording is correct. 

Looks like it was made to be a defensive measure to prevent hordes from surrounding it; but seems to be a pretty terrifying offensive tool as well. 

its an anti tarpit measure, something likely to happen to big monsters.
Oh your pinks split into two horrors, guess what i get?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

This does not require FAQ, the wording is clear.

There are other units that work like this. Even if there weren't, just because something is unique does not mean it's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jhamslam said:

its an anti tarpit measure, something likely to happen to big monsters.
Oh your pinks split into two horrors, guess what i get?

I agree that was the intent - I would not be surprised to see it errata'd to be a single attack to each enemy model within 3" (possibly in addition to a base number). Maybe it will be less effective than I suspect, but I don't think the intention is to JoJo's-turbo-tail Archaon into the dirt because he happens to be sitting next to 30 Marauders. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

I agree that was the intent - I would not be surprised to see it errata'd to be a single attack to each enemy model within 3" (possibly in addition to a base number). Maybe it will be less effective than I suspect, but I don't think the intention is to JoJo's-turbo-tail Archaon into the dirt because he happens to be sitting next to 30 Marauders. 

actually it might just be for that. Blobs of hordes with a support character in the middle, think Gothizzar harvesters and wizards, that you can snipe with this. 

Its to punish castle positioning

Edited by jhamslam
  • Like 1

I had good fun with a unit of decimators recently against my mates' block of 20 ghouls, the coherency rules makes it easy to get lots and lots of attacks from a horde. The tail looks similarly brutal. 

Given that we have the option to build a dragon only list, I'm somewhat surprised we've not seen an all-dragon battle shot yet!

I stand corrected with regard to Decimators, thanks @jhamslam and @Freejack02. :)

16 minutes ago, PJetski said:

This does not require FAQ, the wording is clear.

There are other units that work like this. Even if there weren't, just because something is unique does not mean it's wrong.

Errata'd, then.

If the rule was unique, that would definitely be an indication of it going against the overall design philosophy of the game. I also think that getting a bunch of extra attacks against single units seems contrary to the fiction a tail sweep implies, but maybe that's just me.

For what it's worth, I think Decimators having the same rule makes it more likely that this is intentional.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I stand corrected with regard to Decimators, thanks @jhamslam and @Freejack02. :)

Errata'd, then.

If the rule was unique, that would definitely be an indication of it going against the overall design philosophy of the game. I also think that getting a bunch of extra attacks against single units seems contrary to the fiction a tail sweep implies, but maybe that's just me.

For what it's worth, I think Decimators having the same rule makes it more likely that this is intentional.

LRL Bladelords also function in the same way, this rule is actually pretty standard

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Errata'd, then.

Warstomper too, though it caps at 10.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

LRL Bladelords also function in the same way, this rule is actually pretty standard

Oh wow, never mind me then. I 100% thought Bladelords had the other version of the rule, which is why I even wrote what I wrote originally.

Get ready to tail slap that Necromancer 31 times because he's next to a unit of skeletons, then.

• LOVE IT! 1

38 minutes ago, Wraithwing said:

So I've just picked up Dominion and planning on starting a new Stormcast army using Thunderstrike units. 

For the Vindictors, is it better to go 2 units of 5, or one unit of 10?

Depends.

I’ve been playing 1x10 as a tanky battleline option that can be teleported into objectives and provides more value if they come back in Hammers. Which isn’t to say it’s the best thing to do, just that I’ve enjoyed it.

2x5 are equally tanky objective holders that ultimately save you on battleline points that you could spend elsewhere. In this role they are more survivable than liberators due to the 3+.

However if you are trying to minimise battleline investment then why not go all the way and take liberators.

Personally I built them as 2x5 so I could try both but play them as 1x10 and had no problems with disputes over extra prime models (prime always in the front, don’t count the extra attack if there’s any doubt whatsoever, replace the second prime model with another one as soon as they take casualties).

3 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

I killed Archaon with Decimators in my late lamented Skyborne Slayers list exactly like that!😃

7 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

At the bottom of the article it says 76 warscrolls.

Additionally - but not related to your question - the images in the article show show several units of Annihilators, either all carrying shields or all carrying hammers. Looks like it's one or the other rather than mixed.

The assumption is that Annihilators will be split into 2 warscrolls based on weapon because the 2 handed ones shouldn’t have a 2+ save without the shield  

5 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

The assumption is that Annihilators will be split into 2 warscrolls based on weapon because the 2 handed ones shouldn’t have a 2+ save without the shield  

There's no reason for them to have different warscrolls. Dominion already has a few units that specify they have a different save characteristic if they have a shield equipped.

I played StD (Tzeentch marked Knights of the Empty Throne with 6 Varanguard general and 20 chaos warriors) last night and those 1+ or 2+ saves with reroll 1s are as oppressive as my old unkillable stardrake lists :D I felt empathy with my opponents of old.

I took Gotrek and he was Stormcast MVP as expected.

I also played the Prime and Yndrastra together and I really like it already but the Prime needs a ward. It's comical the difference between the two. Plus Yndrastra's base size means it's easier to get cover (for example).

I trialled caster-Drakesworn Templar - which was novel but Amulet is king. I like to think I played Krondys's stupid brother.

I like Everblaze Comet. Against some armies you won't want to waste an enemy hero phase unbind on a dispel. However I got a lot of value from the comet in first 2 rounds against an army with 5+ spell ward and 6+ ward save against the mortals. My starcast sense is tingling.

26-11 loss in the end as I just didn't have the numbers or damage (apart from fishing for 6s from Gotrek) to get through the tzeentch StD lines.

Battle tactics will be so key, I'm going to be looking at every warscroll with those in mind. Hoping the dragons get 'monster' keyword. If so at least 2 - 3 monster keyworded units are a no brainer for this season in Ghur imo.