AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Translocation is the best thing in this book currently 🤣

Yndrasta is a massive liability. Can’t kill monsters, can’t kill 5 wound heroes, can’t stand up to any pressure from anything. Died every single game after failing to kill something. Would be much better off with annihilators and an Imperatant.

Speaking of which, annihilators with Gavriel are incredible. I am not surprised that lists spamming 5-6 are doing well and I would 💯 do the same if another book wasn’t coming in (**sigh**) 4 weeks.

Bringing back 10 vindictors is also gold

Yndrasta can't kill 5 wound heroes?? With 4 attacks on 3+/2+/-2/3? That sounds more like bad rolls/bad engagement choices. Heck I played a game yesterday, Yndrasta charged 6 Manskewer Boltboyz (no unleash hell as my annihilators across the table soaked UH up) and killed 4 of them, with another running to battleshock. Didn't use All-Out Attack or anything, just straight 4 attacks and she melted through them. 4+ Ward and Praetors protected her from shooting, on top of Heroic Recovery, sure she can die but she can take quite a bit of punishment if protected a little (terrain, AoD, Praetors, etc.)

19 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Yndrasta can't kill 5 wound heroes?? With 4 attacks on 3+/2+/-2/3? That sounds more like bad rolls/bad engagement choices. Heck I played a game yesterday, Yndrasta charged 6 Manskewer Boltboyz (no unleash hell as my annihilators across the table soaked UH up) and killed 4 of them, with another running to battleshock. Didn't use All-Out Attack or anything, just straight 4 attacks and she melted through them. 4+ Ward and Praetors protected her from shooting, on top of Heroic Recovery, sure she can die but she can take quite a bit of punishment if protected a little (terrain, AoD, Praetors, etc.)

Yes a lot of fluffing, but she is fluff prone. Only 4 attacks, only 8 wounds, only rend 2. Only takes a little variance to make her fail. Any sort of of after save is her bane as it cuts the damage. 

I often had her stacking defence, sometimes 2 or 3. Didn’t matter.

She didn’t kill a Lord of Afflictions, a greyseer, sloppity bilepiper, a single wounded mournfang. This often meant failing tactics or  not stealing objectives. 

She died to: mass mortal wounds, and the Lord of afflictions; mass mortal wounds; 2 small gargants; mass attacks from plaguebearers; mass mortal wounds, and a thundertusk.

The thing is that mass mortal wounds or mass normal attacks are everywhere, because people are expecting to fight tougher characters with more wounds.

Edited by PrimeElectrid

2 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

only rend 2.

Rend 2 is awesome? There are so few things in the game with rend 3 and quite a few of them are either god-monsters or gargants. Her 4+ ward essentially gives her 16 wounds and gets even more effective for every point of healing she receives. And if you are playing with the ruling of Praetors/Yndrasta she becomes nigh unkillable. I don’t even think 60 lumineth sentinels can kill her with praetors.

• Like 2

Just now, Champasaur said:

Rend 2 is awesome? There are so few things in the game with rend 3 and quite a few of them are either god-monsters or gargants. Her 4+ ward essentially gives her 16 wounds and gets even more effective for every point of healing she receives. And if you are playing with the ruling of Praetors/Yndrasta she becomes nigh unkillable. I don’t even think 60 lumineth sentinels can kill her with praetors.

Look I get what you’re saying but I’ve just played 7 games with Yndrasta, you don’t need to explain this to me.

Rend 2 on lots of attacks is awesome. Rend 2 on 4 attacks is not awesome because you miss a lot of them. Then an after save negates a third of the damage. In addition, it is not impossible to stack multiple save bonuses and ignore it entirely. 

An effective 16 wounds is great but theoretical. Actually rolling the dice is a different matter, which is my point. 

I've been playing Yndrasta twice a week for about a month. She's great and nearly oppressive in casual games, and dies almost immediately and pretty much does nothing in competitive games. It's the same old Stormcast problem - we're decent at the hobby store and meh in tournaments.

I've had a few games against weaker opponents where she just sorta tanked the entire table at one point or another.

I've also seen her shot/meleed down in a single turn quite easily.

As to her attacks - she's super swingy. She's good against light infantry and 5 wound characters, usually, but she can't handle much else, or at least she just gets bogged down in combat for multiple turns. If there were a way to boost her attacks, you might have something interesting to work with as a sort of risk assessment for opponents who are just barging across the table, but I haven't noticed anyone avoiding combat with her or worrying about her. They seem to consider her potential vs what she actually does to be an acceptable risk to just YOLOing into her.

That's my experiences. Take them with a grain of salt.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

I've been playing Yndrasta twice a week for about a month. She's great and nearly oppressive in casual games, and dies almost immediately and pretty much does nothing in competitive games. It's the same old Stormcast problem - we're decent at the hobby store and meh in tournaments.

I dunno about that, try Gavriel, an Imperatant and 15 annihilators. 

3 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Ah I don't really have access to purchase/acquire that many annihilators yet. I'm in Oceania and everything has been locked down due to covid, so we never got any releases other than Dominion so far. But I will try that soon.

1 minute ago, Mark Williams said:

Ah I don't really have access to purchase/acquire that many annihilators yet. I'm in Oceania and everything has been locked down due to covid, so we never got any releases other than Dominion so far. But I will try that soon.

As of yet, annihilators are only in dominion (the starter sets only had Vindictors and Praetors) so I'm guessing they just Proxied or Ebay'd :)

13 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

There’s a huge number circulating for a good price on Uk eBay right now and if the new book wasn’t around the corner I’d snap them up. I did in fact get 3 more and wish I had got another 3-6.

But new book caveat so I wouldn’t put down any more money now. What I meant is that they are that good that a list spamming them will do well competitively.

Edited by PrimeElectrid

While waiting for the release of new stormcast battletome that is still up in the air, I read some of the past articles from Warhammer Community. 

And I noticed that in the article "Stormcast Eternals in the New Edition"(7th, June 2021), the author picked three biggest winners in the Stormcast arsenal for the 3rd Edition which included...

...Retributors and Judicators. 😐

I know GW isn't the best company when it comes to analysing their own games, but seriously?

I think that Yndrasta is not that bad for her points. How many 300p heroes can take the same beating of Yndrasta? Or have non-roll utility abilities like her?

A lot of them dies faster (don't have any ward save, worst save or can't take Look out Sir), and others are behind some rolls and/or can be countered.

I'm not saying that she is the best 300p heroe, but I think she is above average in everything but her dmg output (even if it's realiable)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

Yndrasta is good but she's incredibly frustrating. She frequently underperforms her combat potential. She will drive you mad.

Similar to the prime, low number high quality attacks lose out to high number low quality attacks.

• Like 1

Oh Boy, my Annihalators won me 3 Path to Glory games already. Their damage on the charge is insane xD

I charged 2 Gore Gruntas, Annihalators them, got a double turn, smashed into the Megaboss, which I killed with mortal wounds, piled in into the 5 brutes and hammered them into a bloody mess xD

Edited by JackStreicher
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Im waiting till post book - I think most mentioned it.

It sounds like Annihalators are cool but even with a book you know what won't change? Movement and reach.

It's kinda like if retributors get good - they'll be able to clean out a specific area then they're stuck. A lot of the best stuff needs to get where it needs to in multiple battlerounds (not just the drop down). Especially to secure battle tactics.

• Like 1

I've found At the Double can really help Annihalators.

With Yndrasta, when models like this fail, they fail hard. All out Attack, Their Finest Hour, and turning her into a monster has all helped me to minimise her ability to whiff. So far she's yet to die for me and has a kill count including the likes of a Vamp Lord on Zombie Dragon, Durthu, and Archaon. Yet to take her to a tourney mind.     

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

Im waiting till post book - I think most mentioned it.

It sounds like Annihalators are cool but even with a book you know what won't change? Movement and reach.

It's kinda like if retributors get good - they'll be able to clean out a specific area then they're stuck. A lot of the best stuff needs to get where it needs to in multiple battlerounds (not just the drop down). Especially to secure battle tactics.

This is a good point but the ideal is to make that one drop so massive that you win the game off the back of it.

And if you don’t then Translocation or the Heraldor help.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Does Gavriel's charge ability work for Annihilators (besides ensuring the charge on a roll of 4)? I thought you rolled dice equal to the unmodified charge roll from the Annihilators. Or does Gavriel's +3 not count as a modifier for some reason?

20 minutes ago, Domize said:

Does Gavriel's charge ability work for Annihilators (besides ensuring the charge on a roll of 4)? I thought you rolled dice equal to the unmodified charge roll from the Annihilators. Or does Gavriel's +3 not count as a modifier for some reason?

No, it’s the unmodified roll. Gavriel is there to ensure that they get in 9”. 

3 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

No, it’s the unmodified roll. Gavriel is there to ensure that they get in 9”. 

Gottcha - just making sure I hadn't missed something, thanks. With the Imperatant it's pretty much a guarantee on that initial charge.

• Like 1