AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 6/6/2019 at 4:10 PM, PJetski said:

Yes. The only time you can't move within 3" is during the movement phase.

I don’t think this is right. You can only move within 3” of an enemy unit when charging and/or piling in 

As such, aetherwings moving within 3” in your opponents charge phase isn’t legit. 

Edited by CountryMou3e
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

I don’t think this is right. You can only move within 3” of an enemy unit when charging and/or piling in 

As such, aetherwings moving within 3” in your opponents charge phase isn’t legit. 

Yes it is legit. It has been faqed.

It doesnt count as a normal move and as such you can end the 2d6 move within 3". Which puts the eneny in combat and unable to charge.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, frostfire said:

Actually Evos just fix in most list for they are obviously solid choice. In an anvil list, they wipe out enemy who comes close, and even get to get CA to attack in hero phase. In a Staunch Defender list or a Stardrake list, they  are powerful melee support and valuable to unbind spell and dispell some endless. They are so good that I almost auto-include them every list. 

Out of curiosity, what is a good stardrake list, and how is it played? I really want to play that model very badly!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

Actually, according to the core rule, only the normal moves happens in movement phase are limited to the 3" condition. The general movement(including all types of movement) does not have such limitation.   So any move that is not a normal move in movement phase and don't have the description "just as normal move in movement phase"  are not limited to the 3" condition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CountryMou3e said:

Q: Some abilities allow a model to make a move out of sequence (in the hero phase, for example), or to make a specific type of move (a ‘6" retreat move’, for example). Can I run when I make these moves?

A: You can only run if the ability refers to making a ‘normal move’ (which includes any move made ‘as if it were the movement phase’) and the ability doesn’t specify the distance of the move. Note that the restrictions that apply to normal moves (not moving within 3" of the enemy, and having to retreat if they start within 3" of the enemy) also apply to normal moves made in any other phase. Also note that the increase to the unit’s Move characteristic for running only applies to that move. So, for example, if the ability said ‘This unit can make a normal move’ the unit could run and could not move within 3" of the enemy unless it retreats, and if it said ‘This unit can move D6".’ then it could not run but could move within 3" of the enemy

• Like 1

Just finished a 16 team GT. I went 5-0 with Anvilstrike and won "MVP", and our team came in 2nd overall (we had a person go 0-5 and another go 1-4 😂). The event was designed to handicap shooting with rounds in Aqshy (all scenery blocks LOS) and Ulgu (12" max range) but it wasn't enough to hinder this list.

I didn't get any photos but my rounds were the following:

1. Slaanesh - Godseekers - 60x Daemonettes, Keeper, 3x Enrapturess - in Aqshy
2. Skaven - 160 Plague Monks (yes, really) 2x Verminlord, 2x Plague Furnace, Vortex
3. FEC - Gristlegore - 2x AGKTG, Regent, Ghoul Patrol, Cogs & Chalice
4. Skaven - 9x Jezzails, clan rats, 2x Verminlord, 2x Hellpit - in Ulgu
5. Gitz - 2x60 Stabbas, buffs, teleports

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

Just finished a 16 team GT. I went 5-0 with Anvilstrike and won "MVP", and our team came in 2nd overall (we had a person go 0-5 and another go 1-4 😂). The event was designed to handicap shooting with rounds in Aqshy (all scenery blocks LOS) and Ulgu (12" max range) but it wasn't enough to hinder this list.

2. Skaven - 160 Plague Monks (yes, really) 2x Verminlord, 2x Plague Furnace, Vortex

Congrat! Curious about some matches and how you won the game, especially against FEC and the monks list. 

Guessing:

1. Teleport (and maybe deepstrike) Longstrikes behind their lines and take out heroes
  2. Same thing, but no idea how to chew through 160 plague monks while winning objectives, unbind all the vortex
  3. Shoot the dragons, twice.  Unbind the 5+.
  4. Teleport (and maybe deepstrike) Longstrikes to take out Jezzails, then heroes.
  5. Just kill stuff.

13 hours ago, PJetski said:

Pjetski keepin the dream alive like a champ, congrats man!

Edited by jhamslam

16 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

Guessing:

1. Teleport (and maybe deepstrike) Longstrikes behind their lines and take out heroes
  2. Same thing, but no idea how to chew through 160 plague monks while winning objectives, unbind all the vortex
  4. Teleport (and maybe deepstrike) Longstrikes to take out Jezzails, then heroes.
  5. Just kill stuff.

He has geminids, given enough time endless spells are actually super useful for taking down units while never risking your own

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

Guessing:

5. Just kill stuff.

I played each game slow and careful, never overextending - I always let my opponent make the first move and then counterattack. The list works because it functions off denying my opponent options. Aetherwings stop melee, 2x dispel scroll stops spells, and good deployment + teleport gives me the upper hand against shooting. I purposefully keep my list with lots of drops so I can deploy my wizards, Longstrikes, and Evocators very late so I have all the information I need to have an optimal deployment.

I'll do a short writeup of each game.

Game 1 - Focal Points vs Slaanesh

This was definitely my hardest match of the day. I have a long history with this opponent so I knew not to underestimate him AND it was with that damned Aqshy realmscape.

I deployed my wizards out of range of unbinding and my Longstrikes in range to shoot some daemonettes in the first hero phase if he made me go first. That's exactly what happened - turn 1 I shot 30 Daemonettes off the table and maintained my defensive position, only moving aetherwings to the middle to score. He cast a Pendulum that would eventually reach my Longstrikes then moved up carefully keeping his heroes in terrain so they couldnt be shot (realmscape blocks all LOS), captured the middle (I moved my Aetherwings back to prepare for a double turn) and tried to get a double turn. Score was 4-4.

Unfortunately for him I won the roll so I moved my units back, killed the other 30 daemonettes with Evocators, and teleported 5 liberators onto an objective he left a little too exposed. I moved my Longstrikes a little bit too far backwards and wasn't able to stop his Keeper from charging with my Aetherwings, so he killed some Liberators and 2/3 Aetherwings. I positioned well enough to keep him off my objective even if the unit died, though. Score was now 10-8.

I won the roll for turn 3, shot his keeper down and left him with only 4 heroes on the board, capturing 4 of 5 objectives. He summoned 30 daemonettes and tried to make a 9" charge into my backline but didn't get the roll. He summoned 20 daemonettes on the other side and charged them into my Incantor, but he wasn't able to get the objective because of the spirit flasks and aetherwings splitting his attacks. Bottom of 3 the Score was 16-9, and it was now impossible for him to win. I lost two units of Liberators, 1 unit of Aetherwings, and a Knight-Incantor.

Game 2 - 160 Plague Monks on Total Commitment

He deployed 1 Plague Furnace on each side, 40 on one side, Warpseer + 40 + Corruptor in the middle, and 80 on the other side (near a gnawhole). Gnawholes were near both of my objectives. I deployed in the middle but leaned towards the side he went heavy on, with only Liberators and Aetherwings defending one objective. He went first, failed to cast the cogs, I used a dispel scroll on the Vortex, moved the Corruptor towards the weak flank, teleported 40 monks through the gnawhole and failed the charge. Knowing that I couldn't do any meaningful damage until all his battleshock immunity was gone I prioritized killing the Warpseer. I didn't realize he had the 5+ shrug command trait and my first volley only did 4 wounds. I wasn't confident in the next volley so I moved my Evocators up to get the killing blow if necessary. Unfortunately for me the Longstrikes swung very high and he failed almost every roll, so the Warpseer died and my Evocators were left exposed. I tried to charge the Plague Monks but failed. They were definitely dead if I lost the turn roll.

He won the turn 2 roll, failed the Vortex, charged my Evocators with two units of monks, but a long Aetherwing move (10") was able to block a flank and stop them from being wiped out entirely. I was able to keep 4 Evocators alive, denied the other unit from being able to reach me, and wiped the first unit of Plague Monks because they had no battleshock immunity. He failed to charge up a 7" wall with his Corruptor on the other side. He wasn't able to get enough bodies on my objective so the score was still tied. On my turn I started focusing fire on the second unit of Plague Monks to clear them off and teleported some liberators onto the objective they were holding. I killed the furnace with Evocators and pulled ahead in score.

He won round 3 roll but couldn't really do much of anything. His corruptor failed to kill my Liberators (in cover with the -1 hit realmscape) and his last unit of plague monks was tied down by Aetherwings. The game was over. I only lost 1 unit of Aetherwings, 3 Liberators, and 6 Evocators.

Game 3 - Gristlegore - Gift from the Heavens in Shyish

Not much to say about this one, probably my easiest game of the day. I have a lot of practice against Gristlegore + Ghoul Patrol so I knew exactly how to handle it. He finished deploying first and chose to go first. 

I deployed >2" back so he couldn't charge me on turn 1 without using his run&charge spell, which I denied with my dispel scroll. I also used a scroll on Unholy Vitality, and was able to get a regular unbind against the cogs. He ran his two terrorgheists up the middle of the board, used all his summons immediately to put a Vhargulf and flayers on one of my flanks (guarded by Evocators with Liberators in front) and deployed his ghoul patrol on the other flank (guarded by Aetherwings and Liberators). He failed his charges on the former and I tied down the latter with Aetherwings. On my turn I shot the general off the table and took the other one down to 2 wounds remaining. I killed all of his flayers and vharghulf with one round of attacks from the Evacators, and moved Liberators up to block ghouls. 

I won the round 2 roll. Going first I teleported Libs onto his objective and killed everything except 2x10 Ghouls and the regent, so he conceded. I only lost my Aetherwings in this game.

I'll write up game 4 and 5 later today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I played a small local tournament yesterday and went 2-1 finishing 2nd overall. Someone took Pictures and uploaded them here, although its mostly close-ups for whatever reason (Link)

The List I brought was as follows:

Celestant on Stardrake
-Staunch / -Storm-Winged / -Ignax

Celestant Prime

Incantor
-Halo

Castellant

2x 5x Liberator
1x 5x Judicators

1x 2x Fulminators
1x 5x Evocator
-Celestial Blades

1x 10x Skinks

Unlike most I tend to prefer high-drop Lists, I always plan on going second. The Castellant with his free Gryph-Hound gives you one more Drop reserve since it counts as a Unit on the table. The Stardrake is unkillable. He just is. Even if he takes a few wounds, with the Staunch/Lantern he heals very fast. The Strom-Winged Mount-Trait does help getting its very low dmg-Output up a little. I used him as an Anvil and to clear out masses, which I think it does well. The Prime itself has his own special rule to stay in reserve so he does not count on the 50:50 Scion rule on top on being versatile. The Libs and Skinks are for grabbing Points and screening the Evocators until they get into combat. I love the skinks. They never get attacked first because they are not perceived as a threat, but this gives them an extra 8" move to get where they need to be. 

Following the aftermath, I wont play this list again in a Tournament. It is a very fun list, but it lacks a clear win condition, however it can answer most threats and won't get dominated in defeat. It's all about positioning, as always with Stormcast. I feel like I got lucky getting to 2nd place by playing two Mirror-Matches and dominating lesser experienced Stormcast players. I love the Prime, but I have to admit he has no place at competitive Tournaments. The Prime is very fun and let's you react to the dynamics of the game later on as he has a guaranteed charge after coming down and will kill most hero/monsters in his first go. He is also literally a walking Everblaze Comet, but the low wound-count for such an expensive Model is really really annoying. He dies every time something looks at him, he never gets the benefit of cover, since he has 8 wounds. As always positioning was key, but sometimes there is a limit to what you can do to protect him. If he gets dropped to 240ish Points (which I think is more than justified) I would not think twice using him, but this won't happen I think. So he's back on the shelf.

I'll play a 2-day Tournament in a month and will tinker my old Anvilstrike to smash all heretics who defy the most badass souls the world has to offer. I'm Also thinking about a "Celestial Beast"-List as I call it, which I will test out next week to see how it feels against Skaven & Gristlegore, since I can't imagine working without an auto-dispell at the current state of the game (and having only 1 unbind is highly questionable these days). It's not final and goes something like this:

Celestant on Dracoth
-Staunch / -Ignax

Arcanum on Dracoline
-Pride Leader / -Celestial Blades

Aquilor

Castellant

2x 5x Liberator
1x 5x Judicators

1x 2x Concussor
1x 3x Dracolines
1x3x Palladors

2x 10x Skinks

It's a very mobile List. Every Hero synergizes well with his folks riding the same beast. And I almost feel I will have enough bodies which is a tricky topic for Stormcast (there are just so many badass souls to recruit from I guess... :) )

Edited by JaffaBones
typos

4 hours ago, PJetski said:

I played each game slow and careful, never overextending - I always let my opponent make the first move and then counterattack. The list works because it functions off denying my opponent options. Aetherwings stop melee, 2x dispel scroll stops spells, and good deployment + teleport gives me the upper hand against shooting. I purposefully keep my list with lots of drops so I can deploy my wizards, Longstrikes, and Evocators very late so I have all the information I need to have an optimal deployment.

I'll do a short writeup of each game.

Congrats on your victory and thank you for all your insight and write-ups.
A decent skaven in my local scene keeps deploying one/two caster out of unbind-range to cast Vortex. I can't auto-deny that since but it will still reach me with ease. Then it triggers untill I get rid of it and get into unbind-range for the next one. Do you have any advice for me to deal with that?

The Vortex has a very large threat range, and sometimes the Skaven player will deploy their wizards out of possible unbind range and then decide to go first so you don't have a chance to move in range. This is an unfortunate scenario, but it is a very risky for the Skaven player for a few reasons:

1. It casts on an 8 and assuming he is on his gnawhole he is gambling on 7+, which is basically a coin flip. Failing that cast means he has to wait until at least turn 4 to get the Vortex on the table (you will be able to unbind it on rounds 2 and 3) and by that point the game is already over. 

2. It puts that wizard very far away - they won't be doing anything except the vortex for the rest of the game.

3. It is unlikely that it even does anything. More on that below.

You can choose to deploy a little bit further back from the frontline, knowing that he will want to stay near his gnawhole for the +1 cast. This is one of the advantages to running more drops - you will generally know where your opponent is placing his wizards so you can react accordingly.

If you deploy your models correctly you can deny him space setting up the 2nd vortex model (the second one has to be exactly 7" away from the first) and force him to place it close in the middle of the board. If you do it properly you should only have a handful of units within range of only one of the vortex models, which means you take D3 mortal wounds on a 6+ and can't run or fly... both very minimal effects against Stormcast. 

The vortex is only a problem if he can trap a big part of your army and if he's far enough that it can't be unbound then the vortex will do very minimal damage, so it's not a big deal if you can't unbind it on turn 1. Furthermore, once it is cast then you can just walk away from it after taking minimal damage - there's no reason to dispel it unless you need to be in that space, let your opponent try to dispel it on a 9+ instead :P

On 6/6/2019 at 10:59 PM, PJetski said:

I have posted it before in this thread

2x Incantor
Veritant
Azyros
Heraldor

3x5 Liberator
1x10 Evocators
1x9 Longstrikes
2x5 Aetherwings

Geminids
Quicksilver Swords

Depite my best effort to find that post, i cant find it in the massive thread, would you mind detailing spells/general/prayers? 

Thanks in advance :)

57 minutes ago, PJetski said:

The Vortex has a very large threat range, and sometimes the Skaven player will deploy their wizards out of possible unbind range and then decide to go first so you don't have a chance to move in range. This is an unfortunate scenario, but it is a very risky for the Skaven player for a few reasons:

1. It casts on an 8 and assuming he is on his gnawhole he is gambling on 7+, which is basically a coin flip. Failing that cast means he has to wait until at least turn 4 to get the Vortex on the table (you will be able to unbind it on rounds 2 and 3) and by that point the game is already over. 

2. It puts that wizard very far away - they won't be doing anything except the vortex for the rest of the game.

3. It is unlikely that it even does anything. More on that below.

You can choose to deploy a little bit further back from the frontline, knowing that he will want to stay near his gnawhole for the +1 cast. This is one of the advantages to running more drops - you will generally know where your opponent is placing his wizards so you can react accordingly.

If you deploy your models correctly you can deny him space setting up the 2nd vortex model (the second one has to be exactly 7" away from the first) and force him to place it close in the middle of the board. If you do it properly you should only have a handful of units within range of only one of the vortex models, which means you take D3 mortal wounds on a 6+ and can't run or fly... both very minimal effects against Stormcast. 

The vortex is only a problem if he can trap a big part of your army and if he's far enough that it can't be unbound then the vortex will do very minimal damage, so it's not a big deal if you can't unbind it on turn 1. Furthermore, once it is cast then you can just walk away from it after taking minimal damage - there's no reason to dispel it unless you need to be in that space, let your opponent try to dispel it on a 9+ instead :P

I'm not sure if I understand that right, but why do you think it the Vortex does D3 on a 6+ or doesn't do much. Did it get faq'd ?
Isn't it D3 on a 4+ up to D3 on a 2+ (+1 to trigger for every Vortex-Model) it does D6 on a 6.

If he gets my Anvilstrike heros (which are all 5 Wounds) with that, they are gone until I am able to move or do anything (It triggers when it comes down, it triggers in his movement phase, it triggers when I am about to move away in my movement phase) that's potentially 3x D3 on a 2+ with D6 on a 6. (on every one of my heros). Since I will go second most of the times, this is a huge threat in my opinion. It got me a few times already.

The threat-range and bubble that thing has is huge. Do we get the mechanics wrong in our group,? I hope we do, because as you said, D3 on a 6 is nothing to worry about.

Edited by JaffaBones
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I made a typo, it should be 4+ not 6+ like I said earlier. 

Regardless, that's not a huge amount of damage. It will usually only hit your Frontline Liberators if you wait to deploy key units until the end after his wizards are down.

2 hours ago, kozokus said:

Depite my best effort to find that post, i cant find it in the massive thread, would you mind detailing spells/general/prayers? 

Thanks in advance :)

Azyros has the artefact to allow him to capture objectives on some missions

One of the Incantors is the general

Veritant has Translocation

Evocators take Speed of Lightning 

Incantor spells are mostly irrelevant since they are usually casting the Endless Spells but I take Stormcaller on one and Celestial Blades on the other (so I can boost Evocator damage even if they cast Speed of Lightning)

All Liberators have hammer & shield, all evocators have Grandstaves

• Thanks 1

I, too, had success at the weekend, winning a small local one day event with this list:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Astral Templars

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger 
- General
- Trait: Dauntless Hunters 
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Ordinator
Knight-Incantor 
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Knight-Heraldor 

Battleline
20 x Sequitors 
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors 
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors 
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields

Units
10 x Evocators 
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

War Machines
Celestar Ballista 
Celestar Ballista 
Celestar Ballista 

Soulsnare Shackles

Quicksilver Swords

(it’s the same as my SCGT list with the addition of Swords).

+ Lots is bodies for absorbing charges and scoring

+ Heraldor grants some mobility, but honestly not sure I need it (enemy usually comes to me).  Wacky first turn charges are fun but not consistent. Will swap him for a 4th Ballista or maybe a Castellant.

+ Swords and shackles are such a fun combo, especially with the AT move meaning you effectively have another 6” range. Really give SCE some options as the lore spells are a bit underwhelming.

+ While @PJetski made some good points about minimum Libs, I’ve found the big Sequitor unit to be invaluable for absorbing damage, putting bodies on the table, and intimidating opponents. Considering dropping to 10-5-5 or 5-5-5 as they are super efficient objective fighters, but not sure what I’d replace them with (aside from a 4th Ballista). Will be sad to see them lose the max size bonus in the inevitable GHB nerf. 

Still haven’t been able to cut my teeth against the S tier of FEC/Slaanesh/Skaven but that may have to wait until post GHB now.

Having played 10 games with the exact same list winning 5 and feeling 2 others could be wins realmscape feature and lack of knowledge of opponents army being the issue. Anyway seems to be a lot of hordes about and needing to deal with them needs to be address . The thinking is to put vanguard raptors with crossbow? What are people’s thoughts on these.  Here is my current list

9591FC05-AF0E-469F-B890-70F29D46123E.png

D7435A2C-710D-42F4-A31B-CDB2440D3E91.png

6 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

I, too, had success at the weekend, winning a small local one day event with this list:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Astral Templars

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger 
- General
- Trait: Dauntless Hunters 
- Artefact: Godbeast Plate 
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Ordinator
Knight-Incantor 
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Knight-Heraldor 

Battleline
20 x Sequitors 
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors 
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
5 x Sequitors 
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields

Units
10 x Evocators 
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

War Machines
Celestar Ballista 
Celestar Ballista 
Celestar Ballista 

Soulsnare Shackles

Quicksilver Swords

(it’s the same as my SCGT list with the addition of Swords).

+ Lots is bodies for absorbing charges and scoring

+ Heraldor grants some mobility, but honestly not sure I need it (enemy usually comes to me).  Wacky first turn charges are fun but not consistent. Will swap him for a 4th Ballista or maybe a Castellant.

+ Swords and shackles are such a fun combo, especially with the AT move meaning you effectively have another 6” range. Really give SCE some options as the lore spells are a bit underwhelming.

+ While @PJetski made some good points about minimum Libs, I’ve found the big Sequitor unit to be invaluable for absorbing damage, putting bodies on the table, and intimidating opponents. Considering dropping to 10-5-5 or 5-5-5 as they are super efficient objective fighters, but not sure what I’d replace them with (aside from a 4th Ballista). Will be sad to see them lose the max size bonus in the inevitable GHB nerf. 

Still haven’t been able to cut my teeth against the S tier of FEC/Slaanesh/Skaven but that may have to wait until post GHB now.

This list does good against FEC imo, its the first one i tried against them after pure gav bomb got smashed. Simply put, 20 sequitors arent good. Theyre good against every other army but are a giant magnet for attacks from Tgheists, skaven shooters what have you and thats a lot of points invested. Cutting down to 10 makes the opponent think theyre safe. Invested those in a 4th ballista and skinks. Skinks are great. Put a ring around your ballistas or evocators/sequitors to waste enemy charges as he HAS to come to your ballistas

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

This list does good against FEC imo, its the first one i tried against them after pure gav bomb got smashed. Simply put, 20 sequitors arent good. Theyre good against every other army but are a giant magnet for attacks from Tgheists, skaven shooters what have you and thats a lot of points invested. Cutting down to 10 makes the opponent think theyre safe. Invested those in a 4th ballista and skinks. Skinks are great. Put a ring around your ballistas or evocators/sequitors to waste enemy charges as he HAS to come to your ballistas

My plan has been to use the Sequitor blob exactly as a magnet: it is bait to pull the TG towards where I know it will be and where it can be shot off with ballista and magic. It’s expensive bait, but I feel it needs to be that size to work, as anything smaller is less tempting. If the FEC player instead holds back, I can’t be sure I’ll get him within 18” of the ballista or Arcane Bolt.

10 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

My plan has been to use the Sequitor blob exactly as a magnet: it is bait to pull the TG towards where I know it will be and where it can be shot off with ballista and magic. It’s expensive bait, but I feel it needs to be that size to work, as anything smaller is less tempting. If the FEC player instead holds back, I can’t be sure I’ll get him within 18” of the ballista or Arcane Bolt.

if youre grabbing objectives FEC has to come to you. At that point its your choice of what you want demolished by his gaping maw. 5 sequitors/liberators or 20 sequitors. Ballistas are in deepstrike mode anyways so you should always be getting him into 18 inches

Game 4 - Skaven - Places of Arcane Power in Ulgu 

This was an opponent I had practiced with before the event. His list was 9x Jezzails + Bombadier, 2x Hellpit Abominations, Warpseer, Corruptor, and 40/40/20 clan rats. Normally the 9x Jezzail unit presents a problem since it has a longer threat range than Longstrikes, but unfortunately for him the game was in Ulgu with 12" max range realmscape.

He deployed the Corruptor on one side, hellpit and 40 rats on the other, and everything else in the middle. I was expecting him to go second since he deployed his Jezzails slightly back, so I put my Azyros on the side without any of his heroes, Evocators in the middle, and my Incantors out of his unbinding range (he doesnt have Vortex in his list)... but then he decided to go first. He pushed his hellpit on the middle objective and followed it with the Warpseer behind to claim it, then ran6 with clan rats to make a screen but because of the scenery he wasn't able to get up far enough. He had nothing in range for his Jezzails so he ran them forward. 

On my turn I teleported my Longstrikes up >9" from his clan rats and was able to get 7 in range to shoot the Warpseer. Azyros took the left objective with a screen of Aetherwings ready to stop the hellpit next turn, the Evocators charged into the middle and took down the hellpit. Between Longstrikes and Evocator lightning I was able to take down the Warpseer. I charged the second unit of Aetherwings into the Jezzails flank so they wouldnt be able to shoot the Evocators. Score was tied 2-2.

I won the roll for turn and the writing was on the wall - I took almost everything off the table, leaving him with only his Corruptor (holding an objective) and Bombadier. He conceded after my turn was over saying he couldn't even try to score secondary objectives.

Game 5 - Gloomspite Gitz - Blood & Glory in Ghyran

Another player I have a long history playing against, but with a very different list from what she usually brings. It was 2x60 Stabbaz, 1x10 Fanatics, Gobbopalooza, only 2 heroes (Madcap + Fungoid), Loonsplatta Fanatics, and Snufflers. I didn't know what the goal of this list was going to be but I guessed that it probably involved Hand of Gork'ing a fully buffed unit of Stabbaz and unleashing some Fanatics to deal some huge damage. She deployed all her support units behind the Loonshrine, flanked by 1x60 Stabbaz on each side. I put Liberators and Aetherwings on one side to deny Hand of Gork, Gryph Hound in the middle with Longstrikes (fanatics would not survive deploying in range of the gryph hound) and my last deployment was a Heraldor in reserve. Suddenly recalling what the Heraldor does, her face sunk and she immediately regretted deploying her entire army in range of the Loonshrine.

I was told to go first. Knowing the mission, there was no incentive for me to be aggressive so I kept my deployment, cast some Geminids up ahead and took some shots across to start thinning goblins. I dropped the heraldor into play in range of the shrine and put some Aetherwings in front of him - this forced my opponent to come forward, but risked very little even in the event of a double turn. Heraldor blast killed one of the Gobbopalooza and severely wounded the other support heroes and I ended my turn.

My opponent moved her support units away from the shrine and the stabbaz up the middle of the board. In the charge phase she decided not to deploy fanatics and I moved my Aetherwings away from the stabbaz, putting my heraldor >12" away and not even giving her the chance to declare a charge. With this one simple move I was able to shut down an entire turn for my opponent! 

She won the roll for turn and after I gave both Stabbaz units -1 hit she buffed up her units (including spending two command points to use the Loonboss command ability on both Stabbaz units) and moved her Stabbaz and Squigs up for a charge against the Heraldor. She decided not to deploy the Fanatics (wise decision, they would just get tied down with Aetherwings shot down in my turn). The stabbaz were both tied down by one unit of Aetherwings, but the Squigs managed a 12" charge and did 3 wounds to the Heraldor.

On my second turn I shot down the Fungoid general and prepared for a big charge against the Stabbaz. I moved the gryph hound and longstrikes up to cover one unit of Stabbaz (if she deployed Fanatics they would get shot) and a unit of Aetherwings up on the other unit (so the Fanatics could not be deployed) and the Evocators were able to charge without getting caught into a combat with Fanatics. I was able to pile in 2 Evocators in range of the Evocators and used the lightning blast to finish them off.

At this point we realized that she had been using the Loonboss command ability incorrectly - it did not activate in the hero phase, but in the combat phase, and it only lasted for that phase. Her entire strategy revolved around accepting a charge and counterattacking with buffed up Stabbaz. She decided to concede rather than playing it out, though I am confident that the result would have been the same.

Thanks for reading, sorry there weren't any photos

• Like 7