AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

24 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

Prepping to go to a tournament next weekend. Just finished painting the last unit tonight. Picture attached, list below.

There’s not much I can change at this stage, but I’m open to ideas.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Celestant (100)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail  
- Artefact: God-forged Blade  
Knight-Azyros (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Boltstorm Crossbows
- 1x Thunderbolt Crossbows

Units
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Evocators (200)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

780370ED-D2C8-484A-9F3C-DB56A16E6084.jpeg

Looks really nice together!
Hope Sigmars enemies with fall under volley after volley of crossbow bolts :)
How do you find all this shooting perform with and without Azyros buff? (I have a ton of different crossbow infantry and feel like it's time to paint Azyros at last)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, XReN said:

Looks really nice together!
Hope Sigmars enemies with fall under volley after volley of crossbow bolts :)
How do you find all this shooting perform with and without Azyros buff? (I have a ton of different crossbow infantry and feel like it's time to paint Azyros at last)

As a general rule all of the shooting units and the azyros go in the sky. I’m generally able to overkill whatever I choose to attack when they drop. The azyros gets an extra hit or so from each unit except the ballista, which is still very spiky - once per game, it does really well, but also totally blows once per game too. 

Biggest issue I’ve had so far is landing in a bad spot and not being able to extend threat and range to other areas of the board. You have to put a lot of thought into where you plan to be at the end of the game because the army has very poor mobility and threat range.

I’ve lately found an excellent strategy is to just simply land behind my own lines and shoot over the heads of my foot troops. It seems to really ****** with people  because they are waiting for me to expose those units to counter assault.

To answer your question, the knight azyros seems to pay for himself every game so far, and works for melee units too. He’s crazy strong when combined with the celestant prime as he’s the only unit that can keep up with him in my list.

Edited by Mark Williams

On 9/26/2018 at 12:58 AM, Namelessone81 said:

Fellow Eternals ! 

I was wondering if anyone has seen any successes with the “grand convocation” battalion or a magic - endless spell combo army ? 

I am experimenting with an magic based army at the moment and would like to hear what everyone else did ;) 

I've been wondering about how to make an effective convocation list and haven't settled on the "one" list that does it best, but there's a few factors to juggle and I'm happy to try and think out the mindset behind the army build rather than a specific list.  Hopefully that leads to something useful!

Since we're making a magic-based army there's a few questions we need to ask ourselves.  First, what spells to do we have worth casting?  See Black Blade's thread for a good discussion there.  Most of the SCE spells are easier to cast but lower on damage output, with some decent utility spells in there.  My personal votes would be for spells like azyrite halo, thundershock, lightning blast, celestial blades, speed of lightning, and some of the warscroll spells like LAoD's storm lance.  Chain lightning I could see situational use for, while most of the other lore spells I would probably ignore.  Also worth remembering that all the lord arcanums have prime electrids, which turns arcane bolt into d3/d6 (10+ cast) damage at 18", which could potentially snipe a closer support hero like a hag queen if you get lucky.  There are definitely endless spells worth taking like the comet and cogs, probably which ones you take is up to preference.

Second question is how good are our wizards?  Most of them only have one cast, with the LAoT and Aventis being the only ones with two.  That can be modified with cogs or the balewind, and is worth keeping in mind for the staff of focus which only affects one wizard for one hero phase, so you really want to get the maximum benefit if you take it.  All of our wizards have a 3+ save and a minimum of 5 wounds, and half of them are on a mount for extra mobility, so they're fairly survivable, and many of them can explode if you try and take them on in combat which is a small extra deterrent.

Third question is how can we buff our wizards?  Several options here: staff of focus gives +1 to cast and +1 MW for spells cast for that hero phase; Celestial Warbringers command ability is +1 to cast for a command point and stacks; grand convocation gives a +1 to cast if two other wizards from the battalion are nearby; stardrakes give a +1 cast if within 18" of them; arcane terrain gives +1 to cast and unbind.  You can combine all of those things in one list, although at that point you've spent around 1200pts just in heroes and a battalion so it may not be the most balanced list.

Given these points, it seems like a grand convocation list wants to take a wizard with a decent damage spell and cogs, pop the staff of focus, drop the comet, and fire off as many other damaging spells as possible.  That way the comet drop does between 2-4 MWs on everything it hits, plus something like storm lance doing 2 MW for every model it passes through on a 5+, or chain lightning doing d3+1 MW then 2 MW to nearby units, or even the Incantor doing 2 MW to every enemy unit within 18".  The staff also (I assume) affects endless spells so there could be some fun shenanigans there, like sweeping a bunch of units with geminids for d3+1 MW or pendulum for d6+1, or whacking a specific unit with swords or the celestian vortex for 2 MW on each roll of a 6 (5+ against chaos, poor jerks).  After that, I see the list functioning as a core wizard group doing damage and utility support where possible, while another wizard (probably the lord exorcist) supports a melee line with thundershock or azyrite halo, and every turn the comet gets dispelled and recast to make as much use of it as possible.  Your hero phase won't be as damaging as a Tzeentch army or as debilitating as a Death army, but I think there's a functional list in there, and one that's a little different than some of the other common SCE builds right now.  Plus you've got tons of wizards so a lot of battle plans will be in your favor for capturing and holding objectives, and if you play in the realms you'll have seven other spells to work with and an army ready to use them.  

An example off the top of my head, if you really wanted to punish one specific unit and were perfectly positioned, you could do the following mortal wounds: d3 (comet, functionally it ranges from 1 to 3) + d3/d6 (arcane bolt) + d3 (lightning blast) + d3 (chain lightning) +1 (spirit storm) for 1+3d3+d3/d6, ranging from 5-16 MW that turn from casting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think I might give this list a spin:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Lord-Celestant On Stardrake (560)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Relictor (100)
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
2 x Fulminators (240)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 97

I would drop the Incantor and probably the Liberators for a LAoGC general and make the Sequitors batteline, but I feel the Stardrake needs staunch defender to be worth it. Thoughts?

Celestant on Stardrake is not worth using without Staunch Defender in my opinion.

Damage output is not worth 560 points, command ability is not spectacular... only reason to run a Stardrake is for its huge body and ability to survive tons of incoming damage. 

Drakesworn Templar might be viable without Staunch Defender, though.

• Like 2

@AverageBoss If I take a Stardrake, it's for the aesthetic and even then he must have Staunch Defender. His wound output is 1. sub par for his points & 2. highly conditional. He is just a big roadblock as written for now I hope they just rewrite him someday where he is unconditionally worth his points. I think you should just make those Sequitors battleline and fill out your roster with more versatile units than 5 man liberator squads.

My current hesitation with the Stardrake is how to take Battleline Sequitors and him at the same time. If you want that, you need an Arcanum to be the General, which means Staunch is only on the Stardrake while the Arcanum is hugging him. Which isn't... bad, but it's also really awkward (and expensive).

6 hours ago, Lexalopolis said:

I've been wondering about how to make an effective convocation list and haven't settled on the "one" list that does it best, but there's a few factors to juggle and I'm happy to try and think out the mindset behind the army build rather than a specific list.  Hopefully that leads to something useful!

Since we're making a magic-based army there's a few questions we need to ask ourselves.  First, what spells to do we have worth casting?  See Black Blade's thread for a good discussion there.  Most of the SCE spells are easier to cast but lower on damage output, with some decent utility spells in there.  My personal votes would be for spells like azyrite halo, thundershock, lightning blast, celestial blades, speed of lightning, and some of the warscroll spells like LAoD's storm lance.  Chain lightning I could see situational use for, while most of the other lore spells I would probably ignore.  Also worth remembering that all the lord arcanums have prime electrids, which turns arcane bolt into d3/d6 (10+ cast) damage at 18", which could potentially snipe a closer support hero like a hag queen if you get lucky.  There are definitely endless spells worth taking like the comet and cogs, probably which ones you take is up to preference.

Second question is how good are our wizards?  Most of them only have one cast, with the LAoT and Aventis being the only ones with two.  That can be modified with cogs or the balewind, and is worth keeping in mind for the staff of focus which only affects one wizard for one hero phase, so you really want to get the maximum benefit if you take it.  All of our wizards have a 3+ save and a minimum of 5 wounds, and half of them are on a mount for extra mobility, so they're fairly survivable, and many of them can explode if you try and take them on in combat which is a small extra deterrent.

Third question is how can we buff our wizards?  Several options here: staff of focus gives +1 to cast and +1 MW for spells cast for that hero phase; Celestial Warbringers command ability is +1 to cast for a command point and stacks; grand convocation gives a +1 to cast if two other wizards from the battalion are nearby; stardrakes give a +1 cast if within 18" of them; arcane terrain gives +1 to cast and unbind.  You can combine all of those things in one list, although at that point you've spent around 1200pts just in heroes and a battalion so it may not be the most balanced list.

Given these points, it seems like a grand convocation list wants to take a wizard with a decent damage spell and cogs, pop the staff of focus, drop the comet, and fire off as many other damaging spells as possible.  That way the comet drop does between 2-4 MWs on everything it hits, plus something like storm lance doing 2 MW for every model it passes through on a 5+, or chain lightning doing d3+1 MW then 2 MW to nearby units, or even the Incantor doing 2 MW to every enemy unit within 18".  The staff also (I assume) affects endless spells so there could be some fun shenanigans there, like sweeping a bunch of units with geminids for d3+1 MW or pendulum for d6+1, or whacking a specific unit with swords or the celestian vortex for 2 MW on each roll of a 6 (5+ against chaos, poor jerks).  After that, I see the list functioning as a core wizard group doing damage and utility support where possible, while another wizard (probably the lord exorcist) supports a melee line with thundershock or azyrite halo, and every turn the comet gets dispelled and recast to make as much use of it as possible.  Your hero phase won't be as damaging as a Tzeentch army or as debilitating as a Death army, but I think there's a functional list in there, and one that's a little different than some of the other common SCE builds right now.  Plus you've got tons of wizards so a lot of battle plans will be in your favor for capturing and holding objectives, and if you play in the realms you'll have seven other spells to work with and an army ready to use them.  

An example off the top of my head, if you really wanted to punish one specific unit and were perfectly positioned, you could do the following mortal wounds: d3 (comet, functionally it ranges from 1 to 3) + d3/d6 (arcane bolt) + d3 (lightning blast) + d3 (chain lightning) +1 (spirit storm) for 1+3d3+d3/d6, ranging from 5-16 MW that turn from casting.

In my list that I will try Sunday against Khorne I will have a 20 model unit is sequitors and a 10 model unit of evos so that I can punish them even more :) 

i will post the results of my experiment.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lexalopolis said:

I highly doubt that Staff of Focus is legal to be used with endless spells, because they are slightly different things than normal spells, so in our local SCE chat we decided not to use it like that, until something changes. And even if it does work with endless spells, the wording means +1 MW total, not +1 on each succesfull roll from Swords or Hammernado

So this is my new version of my probably too defensive list:

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Spell: Chain Lightning
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Lord-Castellant (100)
- Mystic Light (Artefact): Lantern of the Tempest
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
10 x Sequitors (240)
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestian Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 124

But I've been thinking, would it be worth changing out one of the Knight-Incantors and the endless spell (this is the only one I own atm for 40 points...) for a Lord-Arcanum on foot, so you can potentially save 2 wounds per turn?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Requizen said:

My current hesitation with the Stardrake is how to take Battleline Sequitors and him at the same time. If you want that, you need an Arcanum to be the General, which means Staunch is only on the Stardrake while the Arcanum is hugging him. Which isn't... bad, but it's also really awkward (and expensive).

It's how I've gone in my list. I was torn between this or just an incantor and 5 more libs, but I really wanted the Arcanum's healing and command ability,

It seems to work ok, generally I don't want the Arcanum in combat, so he's sitting at the back buffing and then going for late game objective grabs with ride the winds.

Azyr add new nightvault SCE hero Averon, he look like regular incantor, and have uniq spell: Cast 7+: Each enemy unit in 18 suffer 1 mv, in 6 - d3, in additional substract 1 from run and charge roll for enemy unit in 18. Spell not bad. But price for this hero + 2 evoc team = 300pts (can't take separate like fyreslayer team).

i think its overprice or glitch azyr ))

7 hours ago, XReN said:

I highly doubt that Staff of Focus is legal to be used with endless spells, because they are slightly different things than normal spells, so in our local SCE chat we decided not to use it like that, until something changes. And even if it does work with endless spells, the wording means +1 MW total, not +1 on each succesfull roll from Swords or Hammernado

Re-reading the staff description I agree with your second point, the item clearly states it increases the overall damage to that unit from a spell by +1 MW, so that is my mistake.  However, I would disagree with your first point.  The item increases damage dealt by spells, and endless spells are exactly that: spells.  While they do work differently, it is still a spell manifested by the wizard that deals damage to a unit in that phase, so the staff of focus should still work, and most of the discussion I have heard about the utility of the staff comes from the staff+comet combo.  If you are concerned about whether that is a valid use I would check with your opponent or the tournament organizer in advance and come to an agreement, but as written it seems fair to use the staff with endless spells.

• Like 1

One way to interpret it, is that the spell is summoning the comet. The comet is a separate entity that has an ability that deals spell damage, but the damage comes from the comet, not the caster. If you read the comet’s warscroll, the spell description is just summoning the model onto the table. This way of thinking about it would line up with the errata that explains abilities like Morathi doubling spell ranges don’t extend to endless spells.

Edited by Mark Williams

Lately I have been testing rosters including Celestant-Prime. 

Won the first game against Irongut-heavy gutbusters, but I believe luck contributed to victory more than Celestant-Prime did. 

The opposing player took second turn, and I rolled above average on the first turn shooting. 

The gutbuster player was not able to play double-turn in critical moment too. 

My first roster with Celestant-Prime included Hailstorm Battery, but I deemed it a bit too costly for the roster.

Celestant-Prime is already too fragile for a model with 340pts cost, and I thought it would be wise to invest more on supporting units than mediocre battalion.

Below is the roster which I will be trying soon.

I intend to use the roster as "all-comers", although I believe it is lacking for competitive tournament games.

- Leaders

Celestant-Prime

Lord-Castellant(General, Staunch Defender, Lantern of the Tempest)

Lord-Ordinator

Knight-Heraldor

Knight-Incantor(Lightning Blast)

- Battleline

5 Liberators(Liberator-Prime: Grandhammer, Warhammers & Shields)

5 Liberators(Liberator-Prime: Grandhammer, Warhammers & Shields)

5 Liberators(Liberator-Prime: Grandblade, Warblades & Shields)

- Artillery

Celestar Ballista

Celestar Ballista

- Others

2 Fulminators

10 Evocators(Speed of Lightning, Evocator-Prime: Grandstave, 4xGrandstave, 5xTempest Blade & Stormstave)

Total: 1,960pts

Leftover Points: 40pts

Edited by Sagittarii Orientalis

Knight-Azyros (100)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
10 x Judicators (320)
- Skybolt Bows
- 2x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
10 x Sequitors (240)
2 x Fulminators (240)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 129

Plan:

Anihhilate screen with Judi and Ballistas, then charge with 6+ gavriel. What do you think?

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:29 AM, XReN said:

This list will do against most non competetive opponents, but will get bullied by anything with decent shooting/mortal wounds output/melee monsters (like beastclaw), large numbers
Two main problems with your list are: it's fragile as hell and full melee. And those can work together, but not when it is the properties of whole army. Sure, try it if you have all the models, if not, I'd suggest dropping dracolines along with phalanx, getting cogs to take most of staff of focus with two spells, building up sequitors to maybe 20 man and getting 2x5 judicators, or 2x10 seq and 5 juds. Also lord castellant would be great.

Maybe smtg like that:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Thundershock
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Exorcist (140)
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
- Spell: Lighntning Blast
Lord-Castellant (100)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
10 x Sequitors (240)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)

Battalions
Grand Convocation (130)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 100

Here you have some shooting, improved defence due to lord castellant and cogs, remeber that you can use cogs with evocators to get them reroll of all save rolls as well as ability to double cast Empower if you want

Also check out Black Blade's thread on SCE magic for some ideas and experience  

Why hammers with no Gavriel? Their stormhost bonuses are pretty trash even compared to just generic Staunch defender+good relic(a 1/3 chance to get one of two units back if you're exceptionally lucky is pretty poor, the 6+ FNP isn't even as good as staunch with that many reroll saves, the +1 bravery is irrelevant and the relic is dog-excrement) let alone the better stormhosts.

You're also paying some REALLY heavy taxes to get +1 to cast on stormcast's actually fairly mediocre spells(essentially 270 points between the battalion cost and the lord exorcist.)

Edited by Bellfree

21 hours ago, Nizrah said:
Knight-Azyros (100)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)
10 x Judicators (320)
- Skybolt Bows
- 2x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
10 x Sequitors (240)
2 x Fulminators (240)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 129

Plan:

Anihhilate screen with Judi and Ballistas, then charge with 6+ gavriel. What do you think?

There's not really any point in taking a unit of 10 judicators. It's inferior in just about every gameplay sense to two units of 5 ESPECIALLY in a hammers list(more vulnerable to morale, more vulnerable to being tied up in melee, less manuevreable, less flexible, can only cap one objective at a time, only 1 chance at the hammers summon instead of 2, only 1 prime, only counts as 1 for the ground vs sky deployment thing, more vulnerable to debuffs, only counts as 1 battleline unit, etc)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bellfree said:

There's not really any point in taking a unit of 10 judicators. It's inferior in just about every gameplay sense to two units of 5 ESPECIALLY in a hammers list(more vulnerable to morale, more vulnerable to being tied up in melee, less manuevreable, less flexible, can only cap one objective at a time, only 1 chance at the hammers summon instead of 2, only 1 prime, only counts as 1 for the ground vs sky deployment thing, more vulnerable to debuffs, only counts as 1 battleline unit, etc)

I agree with your points, generally you'd want to split that unit up unless you're worried about drops, but SCE tend to be a high drop army.  When you said "hammers summon" though did you mean the command ability that returns a unit to the field when it's destroyed? That only works on keyword Redeemers which are liberators, sequitors, and Steelheart's Champions.

I've been toying around with the idea of pairing a Knight-Azyros general with a Celestant Prime.  

Knight-Azyros has Staunch Defender and Fury Brand,  this could give the CP, Re-Roll Hit rolls of 1,  an extra attack and a +1 save.  Additionally the Knight Azyros can keep up easily with him and prior to the CP dropping down, can take the +1 attack for themselves.