AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 2/13/2020 at 11:00 AM, Keith said:

My Manta Rays vs Tzeentch

https://youtu.be/3_JNTAgtQ_M

Nice video, thanks for sharing! Close game!
I’m not sure if you are involved in the editing but I find the CGI clips and voiceover between phases really irritating 😂

Quick Q, what ability allowed Volturnos to regain the spent command points?

I’m fairly new to AoS, but couldn’t see anything on his Warscroll or in the tome?

Is it some generic artefact/trait from the AoS 2 core book or something? (I haven’t picked that up yet).

3 hours ago, GrimDork said:

Nice video, thanks for sharing! Close game!
I’m not sure if you are involved in the editing but I find the CGI clips and voiceover between phases really irritating 😂

Quick Q, what ability allowed Volturnos to regain the spent command points?

I’m fairly new to AoS, but couldn’t see anything on his Warscroll or in the tome?

Is it some generic artefact/trait from the AoS 2 core book or something? (I haven’t picked that up yet).

The Soulscryer had the Aetherquartz brooch, it’s an item from malign scorcery.

Well I have the results from trying out the Akhelian corps list at my local small tournament.  Went 2-1 but should have been 3-0 (first match my opponent was rather slow in taking turns and we ran out of time at the beginning of round 3...  I was fairly confident I would have beat him had we continued)

First match was against High Elves.  Focal points. This was the one that ended really early.  Despite his dragon lord absolutely obliterating my leviadon in one turn and then getting a double turn going into br2 with the dragon still in my backfield, I was able to claw back, holding my objective ground with Ishlaen and then killing the dragon with a morrsarr charge .   The morrsarr would have then been able to mop up the rest of his board but alas the timer went and he had me by 1 VP

Round 2 was vs a pure Pestilens Skaven.  Better Part of Valor.  I held back and kept my objectives forcing him to run his way across the board to me.  On turn two he left his back line exposed, brought in the morrsarr and deleted a unit and took one of his objectives.  Burned all mine objectives (including the one I took from him) and he conceded — nothing he could have done to properly react to the morrsarr now in his backfield and the rest of my force able to now advance Without worry.

Last match was against Gristlegore FEC. Total Conquest.  Played cagey and then thought I was gonna be in trouble when he double turned me into round 2. But was able to hold off two zombie dragons with my two Ishlaen squads hugging a ship and supported by the leviadon, while my 3 sharks and king squared off against the terrogheists.  Sharks killed one terrogheist and then the king on RTG killed off my king and the sharks.  Morrsarr came on and blew up the gkotg securing an entire half of the board for me.  Then it was just mopping up the zombie dragons which the ishlaen and leviadon handled alone, somewhat to my surprise but I was rolling well and the RR all wounds against monsters from dhom-hain was absolutely clutch.  My opponent conceded on top of 4 (iirc) when we did the math on objectives and there wasn’t really any pathway to victory for him.

Aside from the timeout on the first round it was all around a great day of gaming and I was pleasantly surprised with my list.  Only thing that felt useless was my tidecaster, but she did fail to cast arcane corrosion probably like 50% of the time... 

Edited by chyortskazal

On 2/4/2020 at 3:20 AM, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Or Reavers if you take an Isharann General.

Came here to ask this question. Guess it’s happening then 😁

Edit: forgot the actual question. What isharan hero would you suggest? Lothan is a gorgeous model, cheap and a nice easy interaction with the reavers. 
soulscryer has some fun deepstriking that’s otherwise not an option? (Book should probably be my first purchase so I can see these things myself)

But the tidecaster is probably the most useful one I’m guessing? And the ability to change the tide is basically needed in a fast fragile army like idoneth? 

Edited by Kramer
Forgot the question 😂

I've found that the Tidecaster's ability as a general let me dictate the pace of the game a bit more than the king, who tends to make turn 3 an all or nothing turn.  But that might just be how I'm wired, I used to play competitive MTG before coming to wargaming.  I like having "card advantage" if that term means anything to you.

• Like 1

Eh, Sometimes I don't know if it is completely needed, but flip tide really ensures you have most of your army to bring the battle.

One thing That i'm reconsidering is the big unit of 9 Morrsarr guard. I used to think that they where too unwieldy this way, and would be caught in the open way too easily. Now that I got a soul scryer in my list I can see that outflanking 1 squad of 9 morrsarr should be better than outflanking one squad of 6 and another of 3. allows me to make sure they can all swing at once per activation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I've found that the Tidecaster's ability as a general let me dictate the pace of the game a bit more than the king, who tends to make turn 3 an all or nothing turn.  But that might just be how I'm wired, I used to play competitive MTG before coming to wargaming.  I like having "card advantage" if that term means anything to you.

No it doesn’t but the remark ‘dictating the pace’ is super relatable. Even though it’s probably a bit much in a 500 pts intro game with my girlfriend. Because that’s where it starts. 🙈

7 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Eh, Sometimes I don't know if it is completely needed, but flip tide really ensures you have most of your army to bring the battle.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. And a caster so that’s a fun addition as well. 

Hey Folks,

I just got my hands on the Idoneth battleforce and I am very excited to be playing one of the most interesting and unique factions in the game. However, I am feeling a touch overwhelmed in terms of moving forward with the faction. I will probably get the start collecting set and my cousin has recently gifted me with a neat custom Akhelian Queen. I think that my army will not end up being very competitive, mixing infantry and cavalry, but I think that will be a more interesting force to collect and paint.  I suppose I will very gradually move towards a more eel focused list.

I look forward to learning the faction's play style and coming up with an interesting theme for my army.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Hey Folks,

I just got my hands on the Idoneth battleforce and I am very excited to be playing one of the most interesting and unique factions in the game. However, I am feeling a touch overwhelmed in terms of moving forward with the faction. I will probably get the start collecting set and my cousin has recently gifted me with a neat custom Akhelian Queen. I think that my army will not end up being very competitive, mixing infantry and cavalry, but I think that will be a more interesting force to collect and paint.  I suppose I will very gradually move towards a more eel focused list.

I look forward to learning the faction's play style and coming up with an interesting theme for my army.

Welcome to the deep end my friend! I hope you have a wonderful time playing with the Deepkin, if you need any help i know all of us would be happy to help with tactics or painting tips! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

Hey Folks,

You might want to have a look at the Idoneth Faction Focus vid on YouTube on the "AOS Coach" channel. I especially liked that discussion because it features  two competitive players who have a different approach and play style. I think this will help you get an idea how to make your play style at least relatively successful. 

• Thanks 1

I'm new to Wargaming in general, purchased my first models for Tzeentch in October and I currently have about 2.5k points worth of them and 2k worth of Idoneth Deepkin.

I don't care for super competitive stuff, but if it's fun is the clincher for me.
I have an unbuilt King/Volt, a Soulscryer, a Tidecaster and I own Malign Sorcery.
I was wondering if anyone had any pointers;

What enclave would you run for a Namarti Corps? Mor'phann seems obvious choice but Fuethan seems tempting too.
Who would make for a good general, obvs if I went Fuethan it'd be the Tidecaster, but I'm not sure where to go Re: Mor'phann.
Are the Soulrenders worthy enough of an Artifact or will they die too quickly to warrant them?

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
LEADERS
Isharann Soulrender (80)
Isharann Soulrender (80)
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Sea (380)

UNITS
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
10 x Namarti Reavers (130)
10 x Namarti Reavers (130)
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)

BATTALIONS
Namarti Corps (100)
TOTAL: 1440/2000

On 2/18/2020 at 2:16 PM, Neverchosen said:

Hey Folks,

How might one go about making an Akhelian Queen anyway, I got some Green Stuff but haven't really dabbled with it whatsoever?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sacrednikki89 said:

How might one go about making an Akhelian Queen anyway, I got some Green Stuff but haven't really dabbled with it whatsoever?

I have yet to pick it up from my cousin, but it is a head swap and greenstuff on the chest plate.  Depending on how the greenstuff works out I will see if I shall keep it or remove it, as the head swap is plenty in my opinion in conveying the appearance.

Hey fellow fishy bois! I have recently read Court of the Blind King and it has reinvigorated my love of deepkin who I have been struggling to have a desire to play. I was thinking about allying in some Sylvaneth and was wondering if anyone can give me pointers on effectively using them. I am not sure If I want to go battalion or to just add a Treelord and Branchwraith. 

On 2/19/2020 at 1:45 AM, Mikelomba said:

Right now what is the most competitive list with fish boys?

MSU Eels.  Good time to ask the question honestly because Idoneth just took top spot at 2 different events this past weekend.

Poland GT winner list:

https://twitter.com/AoS_Shorts/status/1231285063737700352/photo/3

Sheffield Slaughter GT winner list:

https://twitter.com/pete2498/status/1231867288581746688/photo/1

The Sheffield Slaughter winning list is the classic MSU Eels build that I think most would agree is the strongest deepkin build currently.  Seeing someone win a GT with an Eidolan of the storm is freaking awesome though, and if I wasn't having so much fun with Big Waagh! right now it would have me getting my Deepkin back out of storage and running a similar Eidolan MSU eels build.  Looks like a really fun build and I want to play around with it one day when I find the time.  Think the decision to give the Eidolan cloud of midnight is especially interesting.  I assume he's using it to screan against changehost.  Very interesting meta choice, my instinct is to go with like ethereal amulet, but in current meta that might be better.

Edited by tripchimeras
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its b.c there is so much shooting int he game right now, and in some missions if you are a hero and only heroes control it, you can sit him on it, pop the cloud when they fight you, making them not able to even attack you. Its a very strong artefact one that i keep telling the local players to take.

PS, Scourgerunners will go up in points after Adepticon, i even am taking 15 myself, but for now if you have them or if you want some in a couple months, they make great allies for IDK, right now you can take 6 of them for 300pts (2x3, 150 for 3) but expect them to be 210 for 3 in 3 months.

Edited by Maddpainting

You know I am still amazed how my outlook on eel squad sized changed now that I can pretty much guarentee a charge with a soul scryer. It really helped change my plans because now I do not have to worry about them getting charged before they can at least hit once. Now I'm planning on running one big unit of 9 eels and my akhelian King in outflank, and possibly use a second soul scryer to outflank my sharks and Leviadon just for the halibut hell of it.

Hey all, 

ive got a competitive event coming up.  I have run the Tide Flip Namarti Corp list for the last 6 months.  But thinking I have something better.  Any thoughts?  Basic strategy is to play conservatively until Turn 2, bring on the Soulscryer with two units of 3 Morrsarr and pump 3-4 CPs if Supreme Lord of the Tides and smash as much as possible. 

Dhom Hain

Volturnos

Soulscryer

Tidecaster

6 Morrsarr

3 Morrsarr

3 Morrsarr

3 Morrsarr

3 Morrsarr

3 Ishlaen

Allopex

Allopex

Aetherwings

Extra CP

9 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

You cant flip tides and use Supreme Lord of Tides.  Both require the unit to be general so you must pick one or the other.

There’s no Namarti in the list I posted, I wrote that I previously played the Tidecaster flip list, haha.

31 minutes ago, Rhetoric said:

There’s no Namarti in the list I posted, I wrote that I previously played the Tidecaster flip list, haha.

You also said wait to turn 2 and use lord of tides. 

But regardless, it looks like the standard msu eels list. If you're running that I would suggest watching some of Luke mortons games, they were streamed at sheffield slaughter and are a good example of how to play the list.