AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys about lady of vines to count as a wildwood and khurnos hunters as overg terrein. Lady herself count as wildwood so she can teleport away everywhere thx to our movement battle trait teleport? 

Same for KH, theirself when they are wwithin an objective can teleport away at the end ov movement phase?

Thx a lot! Me and my friend have no idea today on our tts game:)

There was a long discussion on the Sylvaneth whatsapp group last week abou this. The consensus was that we need a FAQ to clarify this. Until them I advice you to use the worst interpretation (you can teleport from them but not to them) so if this is the intent rule you don't fell it has a nerf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Ok thx , so for KH i need another unit to teleport from, i cant teleport KH themself? Same for the lady? Because lady says herself is a wildwood for a unit near, but KH says objective wholly within them, im not sure if its the same

You can always teleport the Lady (as she is always ww 6" of herself) and the Kurnoths as long as they are contesting a objective (which ean they are within 6" of a objective per core rules 18.1.2). By what I see, everybody agrees on this.

What people disagree about is if you can teleport to them, and consequently if you can teleport the Lady to any where and the Kurnoths to objectives directly. Its a matter if their abilities are considered always on or just after you set them up. Those are the cases I would advice you don't use until we get the official FAQ.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, Arzalyn said:

I still need to test both but here what I got so far that uses lots of revenants:

- Dreadwood spites spam. The arch-rev is there to buff the spites with her command ability, could change the general to her if you prefer a more mobile warsinger rather than a bigger base bubble.

Hide contents
Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Dreadwood
- Grand Strategy: Vengeance and Spite
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (335)***
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth
Warsong Revenant (305)***
- General
- Command Trait: Warsinger
- Artefact: The Vesperal Gem
- Lore of the Deepwood: Treesong
Arch-Revenant (120)***
- Artefact: Crown of Fell Bowers

Battleline
15 x Spite-Revenants (315)**
- Reinforced x 2
15 x Spite-Revenants (315)**
- Reinforced x 2
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)**

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (250)*
3 x Spiterider Lancers (210)*

Endless Spells & Invocations
Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Bounty Hunters
**Expert Conquerors
***Command Entourage - Magnificent

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 123
Drops: 8

- Dreadwood a little more mortal-wounds focused. The battlemage spell is basically the spitehave charge bonus but much easier to cast.

Hide contents
- Glade: Dreadwood
- Grand Strategy: Vengeance and Spite

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (335)**
The Lady of Vines (325)
Battlemage (100)**
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
- Allies

Battleline
15 x Spite-Revenants (315)*
- Reinforced x 2
15 x Spite-Revenants (315)*
- Reinforced x 2
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)*

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (250)**
5 x Gossamid Archers (220)**

Core Battalions
*Expert Conquerors
**Battle Regiment

Total: 1970 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 100 / 400
Wounds: 120
Drops: 5

- Harvestboon alpha-strike lite. Basically use the pre-game move to set up a turn one charge and combine it with the warsong bomb. The Ancient tree allow easy strike and fade and treesong. Gave him the gem to try making him a anvil unit, which the list lacks a little.

Hide contents
- Glade: Harvestboon
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (305)**
- General
- Command Trait: Spellsinger
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
Treelord Ancient (360)**
- Artefact: The Vesperal Gem
- Lore of the Deepwood: Throne of Vines
Battlemage (100)**
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist
- Allies

Battleline
6 x Spiterider Lancers (420)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Revenant Seekers (235)*
3 x Revenant Seekers (235)*
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)

Units
5 x Gossamid Archers (220)**

Core Battalions
*Bounty Hunters
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 106

In both lists that use a battlemage I imagine it would be easy to use spare revenant torsos and heads to make a revenant battlemage to go with the theme.

Love all your list, my favorite is the third! But I like all te strategy besides the lists! Thank you!!!!

• Like 2

I think the wording is crystal clear that you can't teleport to The Lady of Vines.  Here's a list of our teleporting situations, hopefully I'm not missing anything:

Treelord, Treelord Ancient, Spirit of Durthu

-          Pick up: start of movement phase, wholly within 6” of AWW/OTF, replaces any move (so can teleport out of combat)

-          Set down: wholly within 6” of different AWW/OTF, more than 9” from enemies

Tree-Revenants

-          Pick up: start of movement phase, replaces normal move, must have Musician in unit, (cannot teleport out of combat)

-          Set down: anywhere more than 9” from enemies

Walk the Hidden Paths (end of your movement phase) and Strike and Fade (after friendly Sylv unit attacks in your combat phase)

-          Pick up: Wholly within 9” of AWW/OTF (12” if Reaping Season)

-          Pick up: Wholly within 6” of Lady of Vines

-          Pick up: Wholly within 6” of objective being contested by Kurnoth Hunter units

-          Set down: Must be a different AWW/OTF on the battlefield that is more than 3" from enemy units, models set up must be                 more than 9" from all enemies.

The Lady of Vines and Kurnoth Envoys of the Everqueen abilities are special in that only the units affected by those abilities "count as" being wholly within 6" of an AWW (for Lady) or wholly within 6" of an OTF (for Kurnoth).  The area around them is not an AWW or OTF so you cannot teleport to those areas.  You have to pick an AWW or OTF to teleport to, so the destination needs to be a physical terrain piece.  

Got a test game this week using an Oakenbrow list vs my friend double Maw-krusha Ironjawz. Mission was the ghb 2022 Turf Wars. The list I used:

Spoiler
- Glade: Oakenbrow
- Season of War: The Burgeoning

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (370)
- General
- Command Trait: Gnarled Warrior
- Artefact: Greenwood Gladius
The Lady of Vines (325)
Branchwych (130)
- Lore of the Deepwood: Verdurous Harmony

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)
Treelord (260)
Treelord (260)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (250)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatswords (250)

Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 97

He ended conceding at the bottom of turn 2, has he had just 3 goregruntas, Warchanter and Shaman alive while I had lost only 1 and 2 Kurnoths in each unit respectively. I did a Kurnoth + Treelord tag team as each side of my deployment and Durthu in the middle to threaten his alpha strike. He went first and sent a mawkrusha at each of them Kurnoth + treelord. One killed 2 Kurnoths and the other did around 7 damage to the treelord. I got really luck and rolled 5 6s with one of the Kurnoths units and left both mawkrushas with 3~6 wounds left. Finished both of them in my shooting phase (Lady got a 6 with her lance and finished one of them) and Durthu finished a pig unit nearby that was just outside his reach in the last turn. I won the priority roll and moved near everything to take his other 2 pigs units and a 10 brutes, while the Tree-revs went to his field to threaten his shaman and the lady secured one of the objectives with her dryads.

My take ways from this game:

- The Treelord are pretty consistent with their damage (around 5~6), but the Kurnoths did all the heavy lifting. Still, the combination of some shooting + consistent melee output + good support ability make them pretty good. I liked 2 of them in this list but I wouldn't go above 2 and could see myself changing one of them (plus the wych) for a TLA. It would require further changes to fit another battleline in tough...

- Burgeoning was pretty handy against a alpha strike, but I wasn't super impressed with it. I will try going with Everdusk next time, as the Treelords also have a 6" range to use their teleport anyway and It can give them a nice damage increase.

- Not super impressed with Gladius on Durthu, when you get 3 attacks it is great, but when you get 1 its pretty lackluster. Will try the Crown next time as it benefits other units as well and I tend to send more than one unit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ran a 2100 point game (I miscalced by glancing at a table and later finding out I was at 2070 points; opponent went to 2100 as well, was all good). 

List was Drycha, Lady, Ancient, Durthu, 10 Dryads, 3 Scythes, 5 Revenants, 5 Gossamid Archers.

Vs 10 Judicators, Chariot, 10 Vindictors, Knight Jud, pack of Griff Hounds for chaffe, 3 Annihilators, the + to charge out of deep strike hero, Praetors, and 10 Sword Guys (Think there was something else, but forgetting it due to info overload)

Long story short, the entire army castle up, survived the Annihilator deep strike + Jud shots turn one onto my Kurnoth Hunters by exactly 1 wound. Drycha unleashed hell into the Annihilators when they charged and then piled in to them to finish them off. 

Proceeded to heal the Kurnoth by 1, resolve the healing spell to return 3 wounds, then resolved the return a model spell to bring back hunter 2. The Gossamids flew up the right flank to mulch a flanking Chariot and Griff Hound pack along with Drycha, Durthu, and Ancient all plodding along. Lady of Vines cast her 5+ ward and advanced to keep up with the group. 

Turn 2 went to SCE, he made a desperate bid to kill the Kurnoth Hunters and another one died with 2 wounds allocated to the champion. 

Heal from terrain, heal spell for 1, res a 2nd Kurnoth. Lady failed her 5+ ward. Archers and Revs moved along the far right flank to begin harassing Vindictors on the home objective while I castled up on mid and opponent conceded. 

Was by no means a competitive list but the book feels absurdly good, in that all the warscrolls are usable. 

Enjoy your book tree bros, because it is fantastic imo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I need some help on rules clarification. I'll be having my next set of PtG games tomorrow and I want to make sure aim not cheating my opponents. 

Does the envoys of the ever queen ability allow the kurnoths to also gain the places of power benefits or just other units? If I have a unit of 3 swords contesting an objective, will they benefit from the 1 wound healing mechanic?

Thanks for the help TGA. I'm still learning this book and AoS3 for the most part. Lots of moving parts in this battletome. 

9 hours ago, Lavieth said:

I need some help on rules clarification. I'll be having my next set of PtG games tomorrow and I want to make sure aim not cheating my opponents. 

Does the envoys of the ever queen ability allow the kurnoths to also gain the places of power benefits or just other units? If I have a unit of 3 swords contesting an objective, will they benefit from the 1 wound healing mechanic?

Thanks for the help TGA. I'm still learning this book and AoS3 for the most part. Lots of moving parts in this battletome. 

The Kurnoths would heal one as long as they are wholly within 6" of the objective.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Nasrod said:

Ran a 2100 point game (I miscalced by glancing at a table and later finding out I was at 2070 points; opponent went to 2100 as well, was all good). 

List was Drycha, Lady, Ancient, Durthu, 10 Dryads, 3 Scythes, 5 Revenants, 5 Gossamid Archers.

Vs 10 Judicators, Chariot, 10 Vindictors, Knight Jud, pack of Griff Hounds for chaffe, 3 Annihilators, the + to charge out of deep strike hero, Praetors, and 10 Sword Guys (Think there was something else, but forgetting it due to info overload)

Long story short, the entire army castle up, survived the Annihilator deep strike + Jud shots turn one onto my Kurnoth Hunters by exactly 1 wound. Drycha unleashed hell into the Annihilators when they charged and then piled in to them to finish them off. 

Proceeded to heal the Kurnoth by 1, resolve the healing spell to return 3 wounds, then resolved the return a model spell to bring back hunter 2. The Gossamids flew up the right flank to mulch a flanking Chariot and Griff Hound pack along with Drycha, Durthu, and Ancient all plodding along. Lady of Vines cast her 5+ ward and advanced to keep up with the group. 

Turn 2 went to SCE, he made a desperate bid to kill the Kurnoth Hunters and another one died with 2 wounds allocated to the champion. 

Heal from terrain, heal spell for 1, res a 2nd Kurnoth. Lady failed her 5+ ward. Archers and Revs moved along the far right flank to begin harassing Vindictors on the home objective while I castled up on mid and opponent conceded. 

Was by no means a competitive list but the book feels absurdly good, in that all the warscrolls are usable. 

Enjoy your book tree bros, because it is fantastic imo.

It's great to hear that the 'grow back from nearly dead' mechanics in this edition of the book work really well, since they didn't really pan out in our 2E book. It's cool and thematic, and puts extra pressure on our opponents to sink a lot of resources into making sure a unit is killed off, since even one model can regrow to nearly full strength in a single turn!

7 hours ago, overtninja said:

It's great to hear that the 'grow back from nearly dead' mechanics in this edition of the book work really well, since they didn't really pan out in our 2E book. It's cool and thematic, and puts extra pressure on our opponents to sink a lot of resources into making sure a unit is killed off, since even one model can regrow to nearly full strength in a single turn!

I definitely like the look of Scythes more, but msu Greatswords with casters that can heal and revive seem better to pad out the battleline requirements and encourage the enemy to over commit. 

All the units in the book are really expensive, so the idea of running 6 Kurnoth reinforced is becoming less appealing to me when that is 25% of the army. 

On 7/8/2022 at 11:54 AM, Yondaime said:

Boys why sylvaneth dosnt have theyr section yet?

And we got our own sub-forum now!

14 hours ago, overtninja said:

It works really well when you are against a opponent that fail to wipe a unit in one go, specially if they focus too much on the kurnoth/seekers and forget about the rest of your army. On paper returning one model with Verdurous Harmony or the Seekers may not look like much but we are basically getting a 5 wounds model back rather than the normal 1 wound you get with death factions. We can play the attrition game pretty well against some opponents.

Really glad to read that the Forests are claiming some victories!   I got some more bits to decorate my metal trees.  Hoping to get them on the table next month as Treelord Oakenbrow. 

I have a Drycha on the way, and looking for some more old metal Dryads to make my Spite-Revenants (as the old metal ones are pretty huge and look good on a 32mm base).  Then I can try out Dreadwood too.  The MW on hits of 6, plus regular attacks on 3/3s seems solid for battleline units with a double strike'n'fade.

Had a game the other day, been so long since I've had a proper one with Sylvaneth so was super rusty; idea was to try out all the new units and see just how strong some combos are. To keep it short I'll just rate how each unit went plus overall impressions;

The Lady of Vines - A quite literal centrepiece in the sense she can sit in the middle with a Dryad screen and, 5++ or not, just provide so much to the army. I failed the 2+ summon but she was still fantastic, those 3" melee attacks are so good. I'm considering going the Dwindling over my default Reaping pick if using her to have better odds on the 5++ as it's an enormous bubble that even took me by surprise. 

Dryads - That -1 to be wounded is mathematically superior to the +1 save they used to get in some cases. 10 of them still died to a Terrorgheist scream and 20 buffed Ghouls but they do feel like a must have (at least one starting unit) with the Lady as they cover a lot more space and are more tanky than either Revenant infantry unit thanks to counting as being near woods next to her. 

Branchwych - She feels better than ever with that 5+ mortal output. I miss the Wraith but the Wych is in a good spot. 

Tree-Revenants - Not much to say here other than that free All-Out-Attack did help a lot in one turn to assassinate a hero. They functionally are still the same as ever, just better. 

Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes) - I tried the 6 blob and, well, they're absolutely ludicrous. The potential to charge off a teleport (Spiteswarm Hive is a must for this) then immediately teleport back after striking with a unit that has high odds of killing almost anything in the game is nuts. Just Heartwood and being near an Archie for her two buffs is enough to let them murder up to an Archaon depending on how save-stacked he is; I've never had access to that kind of power in Sylvaneth before and it feels so darned good. I probably would stick to MSU if it weren't for how utterly bonkers the fade-away army rule is in conjunction with the unit. Will depend on meta/rest of army but I can't see myself not taking at least 6 in every list split however-way. 

Arch-Revenant - I'll keep it short; you should run her provided you run any Kurnoths or cavalry. Her buffs are fantastic, and while she best supports Kurnoths, +1 attack per weapon lets her supercharge both our cavalry units. 6 wounds straight up rather than a conditional 6th and an optional 4+ ward in combat make her deceptively hard to kill and thus even better at supporting. I can't see myself making a list without her. 

Spiterider Lancers - The talk about how our army is tanky in a way it never has been before got proven in a big way by this unit - even without the resurrect from the Seekers, just healing all wounds after killing a model on a unit of 5 wound 4+ save models is already bonkers. Three of them screened half the board for me and absorbed a charge from a summoned Flayer unit then promptly killed them without taking any actual damage thanks to the heal, forcing my opponent to over commit to them just to ensure they couldn't retreat, heal up, rally on a 5+ and get a model back from the Seekers. I didn't get to use their strike first but already it's obvious how good that will be with the healing ability after killing any models; soften a unit up so they can't actually kill a model in return, heal back up to full and attrition the foe down. Even at Damage 1 their 3+ 3+ -2 profile with 4 attacks is reliable and doesn't require buffs. Small units of these and Seekers are going to be a right pain for most armies. The fact the heal triggers at the end of the phase is key, as striking first lets you soften a unit up on the charge before reprisal to guarantee the heal later after reducing their return damage to them. 

Revenant Seekers - Same idea as the Lancers, just with slightly better damage and an amazing resurrection ability at the expense of the fight first ability. Hitting on a 4+ with less attacks makes them feel swingy even though their averages are mathematically better than the Lancers; Heartwood or saving All-Out-Attack for them feels like the right way to use them, as even 3 of them put out some great damage with buffs. 

Gossamid Archers - Being a costly unit with spike damage on 6s means how useful they are will come down to rolls and meta as they obviously will melt to shooting. For me, they screened my Seekers and did the trick of Unleashing Hell then fleeing on a 2+ and forced my opponent into a bad situation; I positioned the Archers so charging them would leave whatever did just within 3" of the Seekers, meaning for a horde of Ghouls they'd be forced to engage and even with the GV rules they'd lose most of their attacks. You can also do this in a way where whatever unit you're screening stays out of 3" so there is no way your opponent can get to the unit behind the Gossamids, but that can be tricky to do properly depending on what it is that's charging (i.e other flying stuff.) Still, a very nice utility pick. 5 feels fine, but moreso than the other new units they feel more matchup dependent. 

Spiteswarm Hive - Despite the nerf to only affecting one unit, this thing is still golden. Combo with Gladiurthu, 6 Scythnoths or even a sacrificial unit to improve the odds of an objective steal, it will win games. 

New allegiance rules - To keep it short; Sylvaneth are back :) Good heavens what a facelift this faction got! This is the best they have ever felt, bar none. As a lapsed player this is all I could have asked for and more. The three overgrown terrain features, teleport after attacking in your turn, blocking line of sight as always (but not for yourself through Wyldwoods which is such a nice QoL change) and more make this army tick in a way it simply never has. Oh, and the command traits, spells and artifacts are both great and no longer locked by subfactions. What a time to be alive. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 2

- Glade: Gnarlroot
- Season of War: The Dwindling
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (370) * 
- Artefact: Greenwood Gladius
Warsong Revenant (305) * 
- General
- Command Trait: Spellsinger
- Lore of the Deepwood: Verdurous Harmony
Arch-Revenant (120) * 
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
Battlemage (100) 
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Dryads (100) * *
5 x Tree-Revenants (110) * *
5 x Tree-Revenants (110) * *

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (500) * * *
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Revenant Seekers (235) * * *

Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
* Command Entourage - Magnificent
* * Expert Conquerors
* * * Bounty Hunters

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 107
Drops: 9

This is the list I've played today.

Pretty happy with how the game went (although I got super lucky with the Warsong Revenant so it's not completely representative), but I'm not sure about the Spirit of Durthu.

For those who have played a few games already, do you think Durthu is worth it or would you take a Treelord Ancient instead for the free forest anywhere on the board? I originally liked the idea of a double combat threat (Spirit of Durthu and the Kurnoth Hunters) but I'm not sure that's the best choice.

10 hours ago, KarrWolves said:

For those who have played a few games already, do you think Durthu is worth it or would you take a Treelord Ancient instead for the free forest anywhere on the board? I originally liked the idea of a double combat threat (Spirit of Durthu and the Kurnoth Hunters) but I'm not sure that's the best choice.

I was questioning the same thing yesterday. I played two games so far and Durthu did a lot of work in both of them, as did the Kurnoths, but I felt having both was a little overkill... In my Oakenbrow list he is a no-brainer thanks to the subfaction, but in a list like yours I can see taking him out. I will try my heartwood list without him to see if the Kurnoth alone are enough there.

In your list, the Ancient could be interesting as it would synergy well with Spellsinger, but maybe them you could drop the battlemage, as you have just the kurnoth as targets for the charge buff and the hive do it cheaper.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

I was questioning the same thing yesterday. I played two games so far and Durthu did a lot of work in both of them, as did the Kurnoths, but I felt having both was a little overkill... In my Oakenbrow list he is a no-brainer thanks to the subfaction, but in a list like yours I can see taking him out. I will try my heartwood list without him to see if the Kurnoth alone are enough there.

In your list, the Ancient could be interesting as it would synergy well with Spellsinger, but maybe them you could drop the battlemage, as you have just the kurnoth as targets for the charge buff and the hive do it cheaper.

Let me know how your Heartwood list without him does, I'm genuinely curious.

What I like with Durthu is that he can teleport to an OT/AW even if there is an enemy within 3", that means your opponent can't turn off your teleporting by just moving units close to OT/AW.

But I'm not sure I'll be able to put AW where I need to every game without the Treelord Ancient.

Tough choices!

Question guys, regarding "Battlelines Drawn" Battleplan in the new GHB

It makes every table quarter an objective. So does that mean players can't deploy faction terrain at all? Since terrain has to be 3" from any objective. Also what about armies like nurgle or soulblight that can't summon within X inches of an objective?

That scenario also prevents teleport, which egregiously kills Sylvaneth and KO armies, so I'm curious about the terrain/summoning loophole. I played this scenario at a tournament last night and it was brutal. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Question guys, regarding "Battlelines Drawn" Battleplan in the new GHB

It makes every table quarter an objective. So does that mean players can't deploy faction terrain at all? Since terrain has to be 3" from any objective. Also what about armies like nurgle or soulblight that can't summon within X inches of an objective?

That scenario also prevents teleport, which egregiously kills Sylvaneth and KO armies, so I'm curious about the terrain/summoning loophole. I played this scenario at a tournament last night and it was brutal. 

RAW, you can't setup any Awakened Wyldwood on the battlefield (or any terrain or units that have the same requirements).

Between this and the no-teleport rule, this battleplan should never be in a tournament, period. 

If it is, just consider it as a break, tell your opponent GG and go to the bar.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KarrWolves said:

RAW, you can't setup any Awakened Wyldwood on the battlefield (or any terrain or units that have the same requirements).

Between this and the no-teleport rule, this battleplan should never be in a tournament, period. 

If it is, just consider it as a break, tell your opponent GG and go to the bar.

This is how I felt. I knew the no-teleport rule going in, but the terrain/summoning/etc rule became apparent halfway through the game.

The whole scenario is a mess TBH. There are so many minor interactions with objectives that it will need its own FAQ for nearly every faction.