AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

February 18th huh... well I guess once I get my dose of dissapointment from that WD BoC release I can go wash it off with the global launch of Lost Ark heh... joking, the servers will be so pack It`ll be a miracle to even get into the game in the first place. :D

Yeah refreshing the line would be nice. Its funny how BoC minis for the most part managed to hold up consistently over a decade and a half. Just shows you how well designed those sculpts were. Now if only they did us justice and we got properly scaled Centigors, new pumbagors, etc (though I think at best we can expect maybe two updated unit model lines and maybe finally a proper BoC Chariot lord ?). Update for the goatboys to be more wild, skirmishy looking in order to loose up on the rank and file look carried over from Old Hammer.

And I would really like to get some proper Harpies... although, then again unless we got a proper rules overhaul so that the army can actually be good without resorting to several post launch massive price decreases, I am not really interested in miniatures. But I can see painters and collectors who would love that so for their sake I hope we can get something nice looking that also plays well.

Edited by Myrdin

4 hours ago, Myrdin said:

February 18th huh... well I guess once I get my dose of dissapointment from that WD BoC release I can go wash it off with the global launch of Lost Ark heh... joking, the servers will be so pack It`ll be a miracle to even get into the game in the first place. :D

Yeah refreshing the line would be nice. Its funny how BoC minis for the most part managed to hold up consistently over a decade and a half. Just shows you how well designed those sculpts were. Now if only they did us justice and we got properly scaled Centigors, new pumbagors, etc (though I think at best we can expect maybe two updated unit model lines and maybe finally a proper BoC Chariot lord ?). Update for the goatboys to be more wild, skirmishy looking in order to loose up on the rank and file look carried over from Old Hammer.

And I would really like to get some proper Harpies... although, then again unless we got a proper rules overhaul so that the army can actually be good without resorting to several post launch massive price decreases, I am not really interested in miniatures. But I can see painters and collectors who would love that so for their sake I hope we can get something nice looking that also plays well.

Yeah... I am waiting for Lost Ark too lol

Couple BoC lists did well.

24 bullgor list (had Shaggoth, Khorne DP, Grashrak, Sphirank) went 4-1 at LVO 

and

2 Shaggoth, 4 x Dragon Ogre units and it went 5-0 in some tournament (just saw a 20 second clip on twitter, not sure where but it was on the Honest Wargamer twitch.

There were leaks about the BoC WD and it's 12 pages.  I'm guessing a few for PtG, Narrative, fluff and maybe a couple paragraphs but the key one was Herdstone change.  EatBrayLove has been hammering WarCom on twitter for a start of 12" range on the terrain 1st turn.  Who knows,. maybe GW will listen.

25 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Couple BoC lists did well.

24 bullgor list (had Shaggoth, Khorne DP, Grashrak, Sphirank) went 4-1 at LVO 

and

2 Shaggoth, 4 x Dragon Ogre units and it went 5-0 in some tournament (just saw a 20 second clip on twitter, not sure where but it was on the Honest Wargamer twitch.

There were leaks about the BoC WD and it's 12 pages.  I'm guessing a few for PtG, Narrative, fluff and maybe a couple paragraphs but the key one was Herdstone change.  EatBrayLove has been hammering WarCom on twitter for a start of 12" range on the terrain 1st turn.  Who knows,. maybe GW will listen.

Woagh! 5-0 Drogor list? nice

5 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Leaks you say? Tell us more! Italian scans again or something? 12 pages seems pretty good for these comparatively, right?

Struggling to make some of it out (in particular the Battle Tactics) but what I can read looks very promising! The Herdstone changes look particularly good and my Ghorgons feel like they'll enjoy all the extra Rend they can stack between the Herdstone and their unique Rampage!

Bullgor can openers at Rend -3 ftw!

You can Rampage out of combat can't you? Handy for building up some PC points for monsters not yet in the fight too!

Edited by Elazar The Glorified

Well... that herdstone update by its own just helped us level the field a little, so yes, I would say we can be cautiously optimistic about the rest ? Lets see if the update will be substantial enough to bring us up a notch in the current edition without the "overbalanced" stigma that our current armybook has.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Well... that herdstone update by its own just helped us level the field a little, so yes, I would say we can be cautiously optimistic about the rest ? Lets see if the update will be substantial enough to bring us up a notch in the current edition without the "overbalanced" stigma that our current armybook has.

Well it at least seems interesting.

Having rend on basically every units, no matter where they are, really will be extremely helpful.

bullgors seem to have become a devastating force, should they be able to hit their chosen target 

26 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Well it at least seems interesting.

Having rend on basically every units, no matter where they are, really will be extremely helpful.

bullgors seem to have become a devastating force, should they be able to hit their chosen target.

I'm really happy about the update, though I do wonder if the monstrous action to destroy scenery may become a bit of a silver bullet. Hopefully not, but a lot of the nicest stuff goes away when a monster gets too close and rolls a 3+.

On the other hand, there's a lot of good in here and I'm hoping it continues to when you get a battletome.

Some Warherd/Brayherd/Chimaera math. Ghorgon and Chimaera are using their own monstrous rampages. Damage is for 3 bullgor with no support. I accounted for 7 bestigor fighting in a unit of 10.

image.png.3ef2dd3a70abc4d43011816541b3a5a8.png

Math for Tzaangor units, I factored in a nearby shaman, but no command abilities applied. Didn't bother to do math for tzaangor units of 10 because of how unreliable they are once they lose their +1 attack.

image.png.f61674a5cbd31de4970cc787ebfdcf58.png

Now for strategy talk, who do we think are the big winners and losers here? Tzaangor enlightened are looking very strong for both variants now, as their rend 1 was holding them back I think, enlightened on foot are only 95 points for 3 too, so reinforcing a couple units isn't a huge points sink.
Bullgor are good, but I wonder if this doesn't push them over the edge into "overkill" tier in terms of rend, rend 3 is good but rend 4 is probably too much even in a save stacking meta.

Ghorgon seems pretty comparable to 3 bullgor, so it might have play, even if its just to score some extra VP on battle tactics?

In my opinion, you gorgot Dragon Ogres. Their Hand Weapons were pretty Ok, but lacked Rend. Now a unit of 3 can dish out 18 attacks at Rend 1 without any support. And they are still our most survivable unit. Draconic Crushers finally got their Rend as well, so I think, Dragon Ogres are one of the winners of this update. Oh, and don`t forget Centigor who are even more cost-efficient.

Edited by Salyx

11 minutes ago, Salyx said:

In my opinion, you gorgot Dragon Ogres. Their Hand Weapons were pretty Ok, but lacked Rend. Now a unit of 3 can dish out 18 attacks at Rend 1 without any support. And they are still our most survivable unit. Draconic Crushers finally got their Rend as well, so I think, Dragon Ogres are one of the winners of this update. Oh, and don`t forget Centigor who are even more cost-efficient.

I left out Dragon ogors intentionally because I figured their damage was still low enough to not matter. Not that they're bad or didn't get better, but they're really more of an anvil.
I might run the math later though.

I think "overkill" is exactly what we need against garbage like Kragnos with two Ogor tyrants on mammoth lists. That once scary 2+ save turns into butter when Minotaurs get in there. DA will finally feel like a somewhat scary unit with this.

But big boys aside.... the small things will benefit greatly from this. Centigors ? Yes please! Angry pigs ? Oink Oink. Ungor Raiders ?! Pew Pew I say!

Funny thing will be moments when something big and expensive with high save gets killed by a Warhound pack due to that one point of rend ^^

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I'm really happy about the update, though I do wonder if the monstrous action to destroy scenery may become a bit of a silver bullet. Hopefully not, but a lot of the nicest stuff goes away when a monster gets too close and rolls a 3+.

On the other hand, there's a lot of good in here and I'm hoping it continues to when you get a battletome.

I guess you could put the Herdstone in a far corner of your deployment zone. You wont benefit from the 4+ rally or halving models that flee on your army, but considering how fragile BoC units generally are, its probably questionable if you will really benefit from either ability. The 4+ rally could be used on the Ungor unit being sacrificed so summoning pts are spent on reinforcements for the army. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

But big boys aside.... the small things will benefit greatly from this. Centigors ? Yes please! Angry pigs ? Oink Oink. Ungor Raiders ?! Pew Pew I say!

Just keep in mind its only melee attacks that gain the rend, so you wont drown the opponent in rend 2 arrows. :P