AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

48 minutes ago, Stevie754 said:

I'm going to be starting nighthaunt building up from the new core box and maybe grabbing the malignant start collecting box. Is this an ok group of models to start with and what should I pick up to round out the unit sizes in the core box.

Are there any nighthaunt WhatsApps I could get an invite too, please?

Get the Stalker easy build kit if you plan on running them (the drum is pretty much mandatory for the unit). Bin the 5th one in Soul Wars for parts.

Try to get 6 more grimghasts with scythes somehow, or just bin them and move on.

The remaining units can be used as is.

Malignant box is okay for pure Nighthaunt, better for Legions. The big centerpiece model in the kit has 3 builds. All 3 can be used freely in Legions. In Nighthaunt, 2 can be taken as allies, and 1 can't be used at all.

If you intend to stick purely with Nighthaun, Tormented Spirits is probably the better buy.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Nighthaunt-Tormented-Spirits

48 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Anyone not viewing this on their phone get any details worth mentioning? Bladegheist profile?

Book pages appear to be completely unreadable other than the basic stat wheels.

Just now, Bosmer Nightblade said:

Just saying that i played the starter box today. Got completely tabled by the stormcast by turn 2. Stormcast didn't lose a single model.

Well they do have something like a 200 point advantage from what I hear.

I will definitely be going over the contents and adjusting them for demos. Probably adding in the extra easy build Stalkers and Banshees at least.

5 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Well they do have something like a 200 point advantage from what I hear.

I will definitely be going over the contents and adjusting them for demos. Probably adding in the extra easy build Stalkers and Banshees at least.

I think GW has given the stormcast force an advantage on purpose for the kids games to be honest. I mean stormcast are meant to be the hook for younger players, and if their first game is one where they lose, they're maybe less likely to remember it favourably.

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Anyone not viewing this on their phone get any details worth mentioning? Bladegheist profile?

Mininwargaming review goes into more detail.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0UcahYl6HKY

There are 6 allegiance abilities now. Two are the updated minions and deepstrike. 

You get a spell lore, battalions are OK. Calvary battalion might turn out to be particularly nasty. Also video looks at command traits, artefacts, etc.

15 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Mininwargaming review goes into more detail.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0UcahYl6HKY

There are 6 allegiance abilities now. Two are the updated minions and deepstrike. 

You get a spell lore, battalions are OK. Calvary battalion might turn out to be particularly nasty. Also video looks at command traits, artefacts, etc.

Care to share the cavalry battalion? Stuck away for the day so can’t watch it till tonight.

38 minutes ago, GutrotSpume said:

Care to share the cavalry battalion? Stuck away for the day so can’t watch it till tonight.

Deathrider battalion.

1-2 Dreadblade Harrows

2 (or more?) Hexwraith units

1 Black Coach

You get to fight immediately if you roll 9 or better on your charge. This is an improved version of one of the new allegiance abilities (usually on roll of 10). You still get your normal fight phase later in the turn.

Also +1 to charge but above ability only kicks in on unmodified roll.

The reviewers also mentioned something about coming on from reserves.

The Black Coach is nasty enough without all of this. It can retreat and charge.

Edit: minimum 830 points

Edited by Wraith
  • Thanks 1

Have we seen the coach's stats yet? I have a feeling it will be meaner than the Mourn as well as cheaper...

Also hoping there will be a battallion involving the Mortarch and spirit hosts, as her particular ressurection technique is better on multiwound.

Edited by Neck-Romantic

6 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I really dont get the banshagaunts, myself.

Bladegeists look sick

Luckily the Harridan-gaunts are not particularly interesting so I can not buy them.  I didn't like their models anyways.

Same with the glaivewraiths.

Oddly, with the full spoiling of the Nighthaunt, they are definately much more speedy than they are durable.  They won't die to a stiff breeze like Daughters of Khaine, and are still more in the durable direction of Death in general with replenishing units, but GW talking about how they win by attrition I think was a red herring.  They will do better at attrition than a lot of armies, but they seem to excel at shock and awe more than anything else.

A run down of what ive heard on reviews:

Command Traits.
hatred of the living: reroll all failed hit rolls for the general unless there death
terrifying entity: in the movement phase, roll a d6 for each enemy unit within 3" of this model, if the roll is equal to or greater than their bravery they must retreat.
lingering spirits: +1 wound characteristic
Spiteful Spirit: Roll a dice when you allocate a wound to the general on a 5+ enemy unit suffers a MW.
cloaked in shadows: -1 to hit vs the general.
ruler of the spirit hosts: add the start of hero phase, pick a summonable unit within 9" return d3 slain models.
lore of the underworlds.
soul cage: 6+ to cast, pick an enemy unit within 12" strike last
shademist: 6+ to cast, pick a NH unit wholly with 12", -1 to wound them until there next hero phase.
-
-
-
reaping scythe: benefits casters melee profile.
artifacts of power.
cloak of waxing moon: 5+++ fnp against melee weapons vs him.
pennant of the fell wind: add 3" to the move charactistic to friendly NH units wholly within 12"
dreadbolt ring: d3 mortal wounds if you inflict a wound in melee.
mirror of screaming souls: start of the shooting phase enemy units within 8" roll 2d6 vs there bravery, if higher suffer 1 MW.
midnight tome: cast one more spell.
familiar: start of the fight phase 3" of the bearer every enemy unit suffers a MW on a 2+.
Relic Weapons
slitter: before they pile in, pick a model with 1" roll a d6 if higher than there wound characteristic they are slain.
reaper of souls: roll 2d6, if higher than the enemys bravery, -3 rend.
-
-
-
-
Relic Lanterns.
+1 to casting.
d6+3 wounds healed with spectual lure.
once per battle, reroll all failed hit rolls for friendly NH wholly with 12".
Battalions.
shroud guard: Knight of Shrouds/Reikenor, 2 units of Bladegheist Revenants. Frenzied Fervor; wholly within 12" the Knight of Shrouds/Reiknor 5+++ deathless instead of normal 6+++. 
deathriders: 1-2 dreadblade harrows, 2 units of hexwraiths, 1 black coach. add 1 to charge + unmodified 9" charge roll fight first and then fight normal.
condemned: 1 spirit torment, 1 unit of chainghasts, 2 units of chainrasp hordes (atleast 20 ghosts strong). Cruel Taskmaster; chainrasp hordes wholly with 15" of a spirit torment or chainghasts reroll failed to hit.  
chainguard: 1 Guardian of Souls, 2 units of chainrasp hordes (atleast 20 ghosts strong). each time they are effected by spectual lure gain d6 additional models back. 
execution horde: 1 lord executioner, 3 units of spirit hosts. -1 to hit the lord executioner when spirit hosts are within 6" of the attacking unit. In addition, +1 to hit for the lord executioner whilst any spirit hosts are with 6" of the unit he is attacking.
deathstalkers: 1 cairn wraith, 2 units of grimghast reapers 2 units of glaivewraith stalkers. after setup but before the game begins, pick one enemy unit add 1 to hit and wound rolls for these units. 
shrieker host: 1 tomb banshee, 2 units of dreadscythe harridans, 2 units of myrmourn banshees. reroll battleshock rolls of 1 for enemy units within 6" of any unit from this battalion. in additional the unit cannot be affected by inspiring presence.
units.
dreadblade harrow: if more than 3" away from an enemy unit at the start of the movement phase, can teleport anywhere on the battlefield more that 9" away from an enemy unit instead of moving normally. Dreadblade +1 to wound if he charged, +1 to attack if he did not charge. Curse of loyalty reroll wounds of 1 when within 9" of a Knight of Shrouds for this model.
bladegheist revenants: Fearfull frenzy, reroll failed hit rolls if they are wholly within 12" of a spirit torment or chainghast unit. whirling death, can retreat and charge in the same turn and in addition add 1 attack if they charge. same base stats as grimghasts, 2 attacks 3's and 3's -1 rend damage 1.
dreadscythe harridans: -1 to hit for enemy units within 3" unless they have a bravery characteristic of 6+. if unmodified wound roll is 6, damage is 2 instead of 1. 
black coach: 12 wounds, moves 14", invocation of death; at the start of each battleround roll 3 dice, on a 4+ it levels up (3 levels a turn possibly). 1st phase heals d3 wound to this model in addition at the start of the hero phase pick a unit wholly with 12" return d3 slain summonable models. Phase 2 reroll failed hit rolls of 1 for this model and run and charge. Phase 3 after it charged pick a unit within 1" of this model, on a 2+ suffer d3 MW. 4th phase can retreat and charge. 5th phase in the hero phase each enemy unit within 3" on a 4+ suffers d3 MW. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Blade banshees may be good conversion fodder into normal tomb banshees.

Mortis Engine already gives you three, and the official tomb banshee is awesome.  Plus there are the Myrmourns as well.

Not saying you are wrong, but there are a lot of Banshee conversion fodder and I wouldn't want to buy a whole box of those things for a couple banshee conversions.

Im overly pleased with the NH battletome. You can make one near unkillable unit of chainrasps with the lantern relic and battalion returning 2d6+3 models a turn plus whatever a spirit torment, black coach, new spell from the lore of the underworlds and the mortarch of grief brings back. Would be good for an anvil unit.

Im liking the dreadblade harrow for objective capping as he just teleports everywhere and bladegheists i love too, they are grimghasts but better? With the MoG and mounted KoS they are kicking out 5 attacks a model! 

Harridans are a pass for me, hate there models and what ever they do the grimghasts and bladegheists do better. 

Black Coach ill always take, chainghasts ill take aswell as they have actually good shooting! 

Lord Executioner ill skip, his axe is on a unmodified 6 in the battletome so isnt affected by the GoS anymore, shame as i love the alternative model for him, may just use him as a unit champion or KoS on foot.

GoS is the LYNCHPIN of this army in my eyes, he has so many uses i love him.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

32 minutes ago, KoalaSnok said:

I was really torn between going for nighthaunt or continue building on my LoN army, but that cavalry battallion may actually convince me to go all in on the spooks. That black coach is amazing, and I already have some hexwraiths ready to go. 

Agreed. I recently got some LoN stuff, including 2 start collecting skeleton horde and was going to make black knights from those boxes but may make hexwraiths now. I also have the nighthaunt half of the starter.

2 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Can anyone give clarification what relic lantern medans? Doed GoS have access to some special artifact or does it work like prayers for SE?

They are artifacts like any other, but they can only be used on the Guardian of Souls.

9 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Can anyone give clarification what relic lantern medans? Doed GoS have access to some special artifact or does it work like prayers for SE?

the only lantern youll ever need is the auto +3 wounds healed/1 wound models returned.

in a chainguard battalion thats 2d6+3 models back a turn for one unit of chainrasps if you can get the Guardian of Souls spell off. With additional ways to regain models too, that one unit of rasps will be holding that objective for ever.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

1 minute ago, Nevar said:

+1 to cast is also very good.

ill probably let reikenor do my heavy spell casting, im not a fan of any of the endless spells nighthaunt have except the reaper but thats only good vs units (with 4+ or better armour) bunched up.

and ill probably give him shademist or soul cage. he wont eat up a relic slot and he can be used in a shroud guard battalion which makes bladegheists so much more tougher.

My GoS will be most likely on regen duty as regaining models is always good.