AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

13 minutes ago, Nevvermore said:

Generals Handbook points are also called Pitched Battle Profiles. It’s just the name they use for Matched Play Points, unit sizes and battlefield roles. The thing here is that the profiles in the Soul Wars box set are different from those in the GHB. For example Reapers are min 4 here but min 10 in the GHB.  If you can pick which one to use, then the box set unit sizes would actually be usable in Matched Play.

Still noob.. How do you know if you can pick which one to use? Local rules? Some official AoS rule?

And I guess the reason for its differing is so that you can just buy soul wars and be able to play from the get go, instead of having to complement everything.
Somehow it seems safer from a game play point of view to just go with GHB numbers? Since most tournaments and only army builders will be using those numbers, I guess?

Edited by Nuradin

2 minutes ago, Scourn1 said:

You cant pick unit sizes. They did ****** like this for 40k 8th edition box. Points and such were totally different. GHB18 over rides anything in the soul wars box set for points/unit sizes. Simple as that

That clears things up quite a bit :D So modifications it is! Let's just hope the people I play against have anything against me playing a stalker more or less as a reaper!

1 minute ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Its a calculated business plan to release the box set before anything else with icompatable amounts of models for normal play, that forces long-term players to purchase more troops.

It's a clever business model! Cause they know people will buy it no matter what :D The price is just too good to be true, especially if you are playing both factions. Just the heroes you get in the box is about the entire box worth of cash. Although it's a bit greedy to make the units so incompatible that they aren't even made compatible with the easy to build released boxes :D
At least in the old starter box you could buy easy to build retributors and by that compliment the starter set! Not that it matters much anyway! I would buy the set just for the heroes any day!

Just now, Ahn-ket said:

Maybe the bring out smaller boxes like thunder and blood later 

maybe.. Until then they can take all my money as long as the models are ghosts! This Nighthaunt release has gotten me so stoked, cause i've always loved ghosts! I've actually always loved death but never really liked hordes of zombies and skeletons. Zombies are just pointless in any and all ways possible as a villain.
But now with Nighthaunt it has actually gotten me into thinking that I can create a death army with Nagash or Arkhan (two of my favorite characters) and maintain an etheral look for the army. I am imagining hordes of skeletons that aren't really skeletons, but something like skeletal ghosts. So basically painting the skeletons in the same painting scheme as the Nighthaunts.. And that has gotten me to think that Death is actually the faction for me now.
So doesn't really matter what they release and how greedy their business model is atm.. I would most likely buy it anyway!

17 minutes ago, Scourn1 said:

You cant pick unit sizes. They did ****** like this for 40k 8th edition box. Points and such were totally different. GHB18 over rides anything in the soul wars box set for points/unit sizes. Simple as that

Sure but you can use all the units from the Dark Imperium box in Matched Play, so it’s not really comparable. GW might go out and say that it’s ok to use the Soul Wars unit sizes.

21 minutes ago, Nevvermore said:

Sure but you can use all the units from the Dark Imperium box in Matched Play, so it’s not really comparable. GW might go out and say that it’s ok to use the Soul Wars unit sizes.

If someone doesn't let you use the Soul Wars unit profiles then they are just being jerks.

Quick math says in the Soul Wars box each Grimghast Reaper is worth 15 points.

In the General Handbook 2018, each Grimghast is worth 14 point, the ability to be even cheaper if you get the full horde discount.

Taking the Soul Wars point costs is actually giving yourself a disadvantage, and if you opponent doesn't allow you to use that unit size profile they are just being vindictive.

3 hours ago, Nuradin said:

It's a clever business model! Cause they know people will buy it no matter what :D The price is just too good to be true, especially if you are playing both factions. Just the heroes you get in the box is about the entire box worth of cash. Although it's a bit greedy to make the units so incompatible that they aren't even made compatible with the easy to build released boxes :D
At least in the old starter box you could buy easy to build retributors and by that compliment the starter set! Not that it matters much anyway! I would buy the set just for the heroes any day!

It works because even with those unusuable units, you are getting a lot of bang for your bucks. I don't think it's smart. If the box came with 5 grimreapers i would have purchased 2 boxes, this way there is no way i buy a second box.

And as some people have stated, if you are starting out, playing regular games etc (but you are not playing in a tournament), nobody will give a fly about it, just ask your opponent beforehand to avoid the possibility of it coming off as rude and move on.

Edited by Keldaur
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Keldaur said:

It works because even with those unusuable units, you are getting a lot of bang for your bucks. I don't think it's smart. If the box came with 5 grimreapers i would have purchased 2 boxes, this way there is no way i buy a second box.

And as some people have stated, if you are starting out, playing regular games etc (but you are not playing in a tournament), nobody will give a fly about it, just ask your opponent beforehand to avoid the possibility of it coming off as rude and move on.

But if you had bought 2 starters you probably wouldn't buy as many specific unit boxes when they release! This way they make it mandatory to buy the unit boxes as well if you wanna go for GHB min sizes!
And if you just play regular games people would loose a lot of friends if they didn't allow soul wars numbers. 

Had a starter box game with these last night. The Guardian of Souls with his +1 to Wound aura is super nasty. I'm thinking Myrmourn Banshees with the HoersShroud should be pretty evil too.

If you can get the Dispel off on them, that's 3 attacks each, 4/3/-2/D3, which will put the hurt on must things. 

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/aos_warscrolls/Downloads-AoS/aos-warscroll-mourngul.pdf

New warscroll 300 points

4+ save now, but gets frightful touch.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/aos-monstrous-arcanum.pdf

Points on last page.

Edited by stickybluetoffee

17 minutes ago, stickybluetoffee said:

Love this profile! Are Forgeworld warscrolls ever allowed in competitive?

17 hours ago, Ahn-ket said:

Maybe the bring out smaller boxes like thunder and blood later 

I hope so, those boxes without all the heroes are the best addons compared to buying even more full starters where you end up with excess heroes. I know for my deathguard army, I need another bloat drone and some more pox walkers, and the Know No Fear box comes with a bloat drone and 10 pox walkers but is the same price as the bloat drone and two six packs of pox walkers. I'm really hoping the there's something similar for AoS 2. I know thunder and blood was really late for AoS, but I can't remember if Know No Fear came out at the same time as Dark Imperium or a few weeks later.