AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

35 minutes ago, grungolah said:

i havent played a lot, but in my meta, Nurgle has been a beast.  

I play LoA with blightlord battalions, GUO, Glot.   Not a lot of horde lists, or id be toast.

I really loveBlightlords but I usually face, fec, idoneth, nagash and skaven... But seraphon thunderquake battalions are very common, in a 8 player tournament there where 2! 

My new list for 2000 pts tournament

Heroes

Harbinger of Decay (general, trait: grandfathers blessing; artifact: the witherstave) @ 160 pts

Lord of Blights (artifact: aetherquartz brooch) @ 140 pts

Festus the Lleechlord (spell: plague squall) @ 140 pts

The Glottkin (spell: blades of putrifaction)@ 420 pts

Battleline

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

Units 

40x plaguemonks @ 240 pts

Battalions

Blight Cyst @ 220 pts

total:

1800 pts

5 extra CCP

Hi there just getting started with nurgle and looking at the battalion from the beasts of chaos what exactly is it and how does it work? Also have people thought bout running an infernal raptures for an Allie ?

Edited by Twh30
Added info

3 hours ago, Twh30 said:

Hi there just getting started with nurgle and looking at the battalion from the beasts of chaos what exactly is it and how does it work? Also have people thought bout running an infernal raptures for an Allie ?

You can take the battalion and play with beast of chaos allegiance (herdstone, ambush) or you take the battalion and run under. urgle allegiance (wheel, contagion, feculant). 

I'm currently building a throng under nurgle allegiance, shaman, 2*ungors, 30 bestigors. and then add LoB and glott and the taurus spell. The fun thing here is that the beasts get keyword Nurgle. (the MW ability is kinda lame in my opinion, but still it's there)

So specially those bestigors can get nasty with glotts extra atrack and his buff combined with lob buff...... costs lots of command points but worth to try.

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

You can take the battalion and play with beast of chaos allegiance (herdstone, ambush) or you take the battalion and run under. urgle allegiance (wheel, contagion, feculant). 

I'm currently building a throng under nurgle allegiance, shaman, 2*ungors, 30 bestigors. and then add LoB and glott and the taurus spell. The fun thing here is that the beasts get keyword Nurgle. (the MW ability is kinda lame in my opinion, but still it's there)

So specially those bestigors can get nasty with glotts extra atrack and his buff combined with lob buff...... costs lots of command points but worth to try.

I was thinking Taurus to also corrupter with rat trap as well . Like idea of glory in to tbh 

4 hours ago, GreenFly said:

My new list for 2000 pts tournament

Heroes

Harbinger of Decay (general, trait: grandfathers blessing; artifact: the witherstave) @ 160 pts

Lord of Blights (artifact: aetherquartz brooch) @ 140 pts

Festus the Lleechlord (spell: plague squall) @ 140 pts

The Glottkin (spell: blades of putrifaction)@ 420 pts

Battleline

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

Units 

40x plaguemonks @ 240 pts

Battalions

Blight Cyst @ 220 pts

total:

1800 pts

5 extra CCP

I like the list. I think the Harbinger's command ability is not as important in this list and if it werent for the fact that the witherstave is so good, I would suggest dropping him perhaps. Its strange to think that 10% of your army is tied up in abilities. Also consider Gift of contagion for festus. I know plague squall is actually kind of amazing and never taken because blades and favored poxes always get precedence.. but paired with blight cyst and curse of the leper... its REALLY good. 

Been REALLY looking at Bestigors as an option lately. The Pestilent Throng (which I might consider taking to tell people I have a pestilent THONG) is laughably over costed. 200 points for just the ability to dish out a single mortal wound to units within proximity when an entire UNIT dies. BUT both blades of putrefaction and fleshy abundance state FRIENDLY units not NURGLE units. So thats awesome.  Swinging against bigger units (10+) they are 3/3/-1/1 with BASE two attacks. A bonus attack if they charge. UNFORTUNATLEY Glott's command doesnt work on them unless you spend the 200 points for the battalion, and build an army around it. Having them as allies might be worth it. 

Compared to 40 plague monks, 30 besitgor has 2 better save, better bravery, same number of attacks (although monks can benefit from G3's command), BASE rend instead of only on 6s. And they can run and charge, without the need for a tree. Monks get a nice inherient RR to hits...although hitting on 4s with a RR is only 8% better then 3+ to hit. 

Im considering dropping my standard brick of 40 marauders for 30 bestigor. Atleast trying it out. In my usual impulse driven life, I bought 30 PESTIGOR models as they are amazing sculpts. I'm certainly paying for it (wallet) because they are $40 per 5. In fact Im so impulsive I sold my 40 plague monks I had built and sprayed DG green! But this allows me to focus my harbinger on my blightkings instead of babysitting marauders. 

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Just posted before seeing yours. Consider blades and fleshy abundance from glott affect FRIENDLY models.. it might be worth just ally in 30 bestigors without the battalion. Also could squeeze in a bray shamen for taurus or beastlord for bestigor RR. 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Compared to 40 plague monks, 30 besitgor has 2 better save, better bravery, same number of attacks (although monks can benefit from G3's command), BASE rend instead of only on 6s. And they can run and charge, without the need for a tree. Monks get a nice inherient RR to hits...although hitting on 4s with a RR is only 8% better then 3+ to hit. 

The thing with monks is, if you have the woe stave, a Plague Furnace and a Glottkin and they charge you get 3 -> 5 -> 7 -> 9 attacks per monk (if anyone can add to this list, feel free to chip in🙂).  That's 360 attacks for a full strength unit, so 60 mortal wounds on average for your Blades-buffed monks, not to mention the extra rend and damage they get on unmodified 6 to hit/wound.

It's just a pity that if they charged Hermdar Lodge Berserkers, they'd all be dead before they even got to attack 🙁

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Just posted before seeing yours. Consider blades and fleshy abundance from glott affect FRIENDLY models.. it might be worth just ally in 30 bestigors without the battalion. Also could squeeze in a bray shamen for taurus or beastlord for bestigor RR. 

mmm yeah, that is something to think over. Those 200 points are quitte expensive (for some reason someone finds nurgle abilities very good), but the extra attack of glotts CA and LoB CA do need the nurgle keyword, and the extra movment from the wheel followed by +1 to wound in the next turn and then reset back for another turn +1 to wound are also tempting.

Maybe the battalion will be less pricey in the new gens handbook...fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 7:17 PM, 5kaven5lave said:

Stoking the hype fire a bit here but a few points drops here and there would really revitalise Nurgle. Daring to dream for 60 point Beasts? Though, tbf, they would probably still be awful!!

I'd really love to see the Lord of Afflictions go down to less than 200.  Same with Plague Drones.  And seeing as every other faction's mickey mouse battleline units seem to get rend these days, a discount on the Blight Cyst would be most welcome.

28 minutes ago, Fluxlord said:

mmm yeah, that is something to think over. Those 200 points are quitte expensive (for some reason someone finds nurgle abilities very good), but the extra attack of glotts CA and LoB CA do need the nurgle keyword, and the extra movment from the wheel followed by +1 to wound in the next turn and then reset back for another turn +1 to wound are also tempting.

Maybe the battalion will be less pricey in the new gens handbook...fingers crossed.

Also blades of putrefaction is LEGIT on ungor raiders..which can fulfill one of the pestilent THONG 🤣 requirements. On a big block of 30 or 40..that many shots doing mortals on 6s, RR 1s and 2s from 18” away sounds tasty. 

• Thanks 1

All right guys! Going to Triumph GT in NJ this weekend. Going to be fun. Hoping to go 3-2. Most of my competitive gaming group is going. Lots of other competitive gamers going. I have a non-negotiable base list. With 280 points to take. Let me know any thoughts. Its the same list I have been playing with for a while..Going to change it up after this event. 

Allegiance: Nurgle
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Witherstave 
The Glottkin (420)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume (140)

10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Total: 1720 / 2000

Option A: Warshrine for double stacking W/MW saves and give a unit RR wounds + 2 CP, Shackles. Double CP gives me an Inspiring presence point in my back pocket, and a turn where I can use both harby and glotts command.

Option B: Bump one of the x5 blightkings up to 10 +2 cp, shackles. This gives me 10 to go with gutrot. A block of ten in my zone, and 2x 5 for support, objectives, screen etc. This is probably my preffered option ATM. I just fething love blightkings. Sue me :P Also it has the added bonus of having exactly 77 models (with you count Glott as 3, and the harbinger and his mount as 2) and its also 7 drops. I feel like Grandfather is trying to tell me something 

Option C Bloab Rotspawned, shackles. I love the model. He is painted to a HIGH standard. The spell has INSANE potential. debuffs casting in a large bubble, -to hit. decent combat ability. laughably overcosted by about 30% and would NEED to be baby sat by 5 kings at all times. Also going into a game with no CP makes me nervous. 

Option D: I Suppose I could drop one of the 5 blightkings, and add in a GUO and still have 100 points for either +2cp.

Option E: Make the best blight cyst list I can come up with. At NOVA I did Glott, Harbinger, LoB, Gutrot, 20 kings, 20 marauders. 

Thanks for any and all input

5 hours ago, LordRogalDorn said:

I think it sounds like B it's your best bet. I also like A, but I would use an undivided war shrine over a nurgle marked one, unless you'll be keeping it close to the harbinger and want it to get +1 attack from glotkin.

For me its 95% a choice between A and B

Essentially I have been having this back and forth for months. Is it better to just spam as many blightkings as possible, or the added (albeit sometimes frustratingly minor) protection from the warshrine. Its also NOT BAD in combat with 6 2 damage attacks. It catches people off guard. Large foot print to box things out, provides target saturation. 

I actually did the math and while ANY RR to hit rolls on blightkings SOUNDS like an obvious auto take, RR all wounds mathematically on average is better. And like you said it wouldn't benefit from harbinger or the glott. Plus my custom warshrine cannot be mistaken for undivided HAH. Its basically a mobile corpse/manure cart with trees and mushrooms growing out of it with Epidemius as the plague priest. 

Thanks for the input. 

@Ben__Halford Yeah, with the exeption of Rotigus, the GUO's can cast Plaguewind (or plaguestoem as it's called in the thricefold), but when the spell is casted then it can't be casted anymore that round, cause you can cast each spell only once.

@sal4m4nd3r try option c, with Marauders in front.... he can easily keep up. (Im so curious how he will work competetively)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

@Ben__Halford Yeah, with the exeption of Rotigus, the GUO's can cast Plaguewind (or plaguestoem as it's called in the thricefold), but when the spell is casted then it can't be casted anymore that round, cause you can cast each spell only once.

@sal4m4nd3r try option c, with Marauders in front.... he can easily keep up. (Im so curious how he will work competetively)

Thanks mate, really thought i read it somewhere, guess i just made it up lol

Have you seen that fake generals handbook points?

Well, a lot of ppl said its a fake:

Guo +40

Rotigus +60

Thricefold +60

Glottkin -60

Maggot lords -20

What would you do if that was true?

I Will put my army un a box until Next year

28 minutes ago, peasant said:

Have you seen that fake generals handbook points?

Well, a lot of ppl said its a fake:

Guo +40

Rotigus +60

Thricefold +60

Glottkin -60

Maggot lords -20

What would you do if that was true?

I Will put my army un a box until Next year

I'd start painting my Glottkin, cause daemons are just for summoning now.

It's gotta be fake. Made by someone with a huuuuge grudge against a player who runs thricefold.

Edited by Dreadmund
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dreadmund said:

I'd start painting my Glottkin, cause daemons are just for summoning now.

It's gotta be fake. Made by someone with a huuuuge grudge against a player who runs thricefold.

I really love daemons in particular slopitty, spoilpox and beasts... My hopes and dreams are in The gh2019 but I think i Will be dissapointed like last year