AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

How good/bad are plague monks in comparison to maraurders?

Depends on what you want them to do. Marauders: 6"M, rr1s, possibility of being able to hit and wound on 3+ , 5+ sv w/shield. But only one attack. Unless buffed by Glottkin and/or harby. Then they are totally awesome.

Monks: bring a ton of attacks. Die like flies. 

My vote is for the axe guys every time.

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Plague Monks are glass cannons, Marauders are cheap tarpits (though really like Glottkin to shine). So it depends on what you 

2 hours ago, Tasman said:

Depends on what you want them to do. Marauders: 6"M, rr1s, possibility of being able to hit and wound on 3+ , 5+ sv w/shield. But only one attack. Unless buffed by Glottkin and/or harby. Then they are totally awesome.

Monks: bring a ton of attacks. Die like flies. 

My vote is for the axe guys every time.

I'm definately after a tar pit unit that I can sit on objectives and hold them.

I will be running the glottkin in the same list so can buff the offensive capabilities.

This is my current list;

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
3 x Nurglings (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 162

Any input in how to improve/for the maraurders in would be great :)

2 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

I'm definately after a tar pit unit that I can sit on objectives and hold them.

I will be running the glottkin in the same list so can buff the offensive capabilities.

This is my current list;

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
Gutrot Spume (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
3 x Nurglings (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 162

Any input in how to improve/for the maraurders in would be great :)

Glotts CP gives them +1 Att, his spell gives them +1 W. They"ll last a while on an objective with 80 wounds, esp if you can get insp presence on them during battleshock. Very frustrating unit.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dew said:

Is anyone planning to try the Pestilent Throng beastmen battalion?

Im still wondering how that works actually, i guess i have to take the beastmen as allies? And isnt the battallion to big to take as allies, what are the pros and cons. But hey, im still learning this game dont know much of it yet.

btw does anyone has some experiemce with GUO with bilesword. I know most players love to bring GUO with the bell, but i was wondering if peeps have, hopefully, positive experience with the GUO with sword they woukd like to shair.

Grtz

9 hours ago, Dew said:

Is anyone planning to try the Pestilent Throng beastmen battalion?

I would love to but believe it to have the same issue Plaguetouched Warband has. AFAIK both battalions are missing the Nurgle Allegiance and are thus illegal to use in a Maggotkin Allegiance - which I strongly believe is a not intended result of the FAQ but I am now rules writer and so will follow RAW.

If the Battalion was legal, I would play it in fluffy games as a way to include a 30-Man-Unit of very strong Bestigors as Hammers and two min size Units of Ungors to increase my bodycount and to benefit from their explosions. Also would add a Shaman for magic support and as he or another hero is necessary for the Battalion. This would amount to about 1/4 of our army, leaving plenty of room for other goodies.

I would love for beastment (and troggoth and ogors) to have the mortal keyword as they are in fact mortal and not daemons? This would make the choice more tempting for competetive play. But maybe this might even be too strong.

2 hours ago, calcysimon said:

Too strong fot it

Imagine khorne bestigors as mortals, tons of attacks from command abilities and the "portal" ability, broken as witch aelves, oh wait

Isn´t the Portal Ability affecting everything "Khorne" anyway?  Regarding Bile Trolls and Plague Ogors I´d say that the Mortal Keyword would really help making them viable...

8 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

btw does anyone has some experiemce with GUO with bilesword. I know most players love to bring GUO with the bell, but i was wondering if peeps have, hopefully, positive experience with the GUO with sword they woukd like to shair.

Grtz

I have magnetised my GUO but never switch from the bell+blade- the issue with the bilesword is it's not playing to the GUO's strengths at all. It's the only weapon in the whole force (pretty much, excluding things like Glottkin) which has rend and serious damage, but it's crazy to spend 320pts on a GUO you send right into combat. The GUO is great behind a line of battleline troops casting spells and using it's abilities to support.

It's not good in combat. Consider- 3 attacks, 4+, 3+. So you average 1.5 hits and then 1 wound. Which only gives 3 damage total. Compare to an actual big combat beast model, which can dish out 10-20 damage in one round of combat, it's really obvious it's totally not worth it. 3 damage can be done by 10 plaguebearers easily, it's not worth wasting the GUO on a weak combat role instead of one of the best supporting roles in the game. 

Thx hughwyeth,

Did the statistics too, but since i always been bad at it i just did the experiment. I came at 3 dmg total also, and when i experimented with 10 rolls my mean was 2.7 dmg which is close to the theoretical one, which you get too. So it’s all clear now, support with bell it is then.

I got my GUO an hour ago and will build him in the support role with bell and blade. It’s absolutely amazing in whatever game, tabletop or computer games, i always choose armies or characters with support roles...im the eternal druid/cleric...

Btw i didnt realize some big boy models have that much dmg?! Which ones are those? Archaon, Nagash?

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Thx hughwyeth,

Did the statistics too, but since i always been bad at it i just did the experiment. I came at 3 dmg total also, and when i experimented with 10 rolls my mean was 2.7 dmg which is close to the theoretical one, which you get too. So it’s all clear now, support with bell it is then.

I got my GUO an hour ago and will build him in the support role with bell and blade. It’s absolutely amazing in whatever game, tabletop or computer games, i always choose armies or characters with support roles...im the eternal druid/cleric...

Btw i didnt realize some big boy models have that much dmg?! Which ones are those? Archaon, Nagash?

If you want a CC GUO, go with Rotigus, and keep him healed. Otherwise, for some good rending attacks at half the cost, consider a demon prince with ghyrestrike.

2 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Thx hughwyeth,

I think an unwounded chimera can do something like 50+ wounds, but that may have been with +1 attack from wrathmongers or something.  Chaos gargants are pretty decent too if you can give them some buffs.

I run my GUO with the sword and flail. Not saying its the best way to use him but I've found him worth bringing in tournaments. He pretty much requires Gyrstrike or something to buff his hit though since that base 4+ leads to way too many wiffs. He can make for a decent hitter and still support with his 2 spells/dispels and command ability (which can be quite good on himself).  

My last tournament I brought him and the Glottkin with the idea of buffing a big 30 brick of Plaguebearers with extra attacks and blades (and fleshy abundance for tanky fun).  The reality was even with the Wheel, Scrivener, and +2 attacks the plague bearers still didn't hit very hard due to 1 inch attack range and 32mm base. Glottkin couldn't really get the spells off with needing a hard 7 and enemy dispels (though the few times I got abundance off it was huge, plaguebearers became virtually immortal, Blades was honestly lackluster for how hard it is to cast, maybe if you had some +hit).

So I wound up just putting the extra attacks on the GUO and having him kill stuff using the plaguebearers as a screen/objective holders. Worked well enough.

Personally I feel the bell is a little overrated. Still good but with the wheel +2 move and trees I don't often find myself hurting for extra movement. An extra +1 to cast would be really nice so I'd consider sword+dagger combo.

7 hours ago, Forrix said:

I run my GUO with the sword and flail. Not saying its the best way to use him but I've found him worth bringing in tournaments. He pretty much requires Gyrstrike or something to buff his hit though since that base 4+ leads to way too many wiffs. He can make for a decent hitter and still support with his 2 spells/dispels and command ability (which can be quite good on himself).  

My last tournament I brought him and the Glottkin with the idea of buffing a big 30 brick of Plaguebearers with extra attacks and blades (and fleshy abundance for tanky fun).  The reality was even with the Wheel, Scrivener, and +2 attacks the plague bearers still didn't hit very hard due to 1 inch attack range and 32mm base. Glottkin couldn't really get the spells off with needing a hard 7 and enemy dispels (though the few times I got abundance off it was huge, plaguebearers became virtually immortal, Blades was honestly lackluster for how hard it is to cast, maybe if you had some +hit).

So I wound up just putting the extra attacks on the GUO and having him kill stuff using the plaguebearers as a screen/objective holders. Worked well enough.

Personally I feel the bell is a little overrated. Still good but with the wheel +2 move and trees I don't often find myself hurting for extra movement. An extra +1 to cast would be really nice so I'd consider sword+dagger combo.

The GUO can take the tome to help with casting as well so potentially +2 to casts :)

17 hours ago, Forrix said:

Nice to read another view, i gave my GUO the bell and blade and will use him as a support. When i get my next paycheck gonna buy another one, so i might make that one in the sword+dagger combo, i like the idea of the +1 to cast via the dagger. On the other hand Rotigus seems great as damage dealer too...a those choices.

Good thing i convinced my wife i absolutely need three GUO's ....LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fluxlord said:

Good thing i convinced my wife i absolutely need three GUO's ....LOL

Yeeessss!

I'm just glueing my third one. :) Rotigus and first GUO already painted. Will run Thricefold Befoulment for the next couple of months, though I think that they work better in 40k. 

Here's an idea to use marauders to chaff up the table and pin stuff down for the knights to roll about and kill, what do you guys think?

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Avalanche of Rotten Flesh
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields
- Axes & Shields
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes & Shields

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 197

Edited by Garuun

What's everyone's feelings on/experiences with Tamurkhan's Horde? I'm thinking about getting the big guy himself and maybe a couple of Plague Ogres and roll it all into a wonderful, themed Mortal/Rotbringer force. The mandatory artefact doesn't strike me as amazing, but all of those charge bonuses look real tasty...

2 hours ago, Garuun said:

Here's an idea to use marauders to chaff up the table and pin stuff down for the knights to roll about and kill, what do you guys think?

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Avalanche of Rotten Flesh
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
- Axes & Shields
- Axes & Shields
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes & Shields

Units
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 197

looks very good, can you tell us how i performing? I will try something similar using ungors allies, 2x40 with spears rerolling 1,2s

3 hours ago, Turbo_Otter said:

What's everyone's feelings on/experiences with Tamurkhan's Horde? I'm thinking about getting the big guy himself and maybe a couple of Plague Ogres and roll it all into a wonderful, themed Mortal/Rotbringer force. The mandatory artefact doesn't strike me as amazing, but all of those charge bonuses look real tasty...

The only problem with tamurkhan is that the best unit now are the bile trolls, 9 attacks for 180 points 

Before aos 2 they were awfull

Invest on units on continue warscrolls changes is troublesome

42 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

The only problem with tamurkhan is that the best unit now are the bile trolls, 9 attacks for 180 points 

Before aos 2 they were awfull

Invest on units on continue warscrolls changes is troublesome

So just to make sure I understand clearly: The trolls are currently undercosted but I should avoid investing heavily in a unit that's headed for an errata - is that what you meant? ?

EDIT: Having checked the scroll for Fellwater Troggoths, I'm not so sure 180 points for 9 attacks with rend and damage 2 is that crazy. They seem to be costed in line with other trolls.

Edited by Turbo_Otter