AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

12 minutes ago, grungolah said:

That's interesting.  I'm not familiar with the idea of "hq selections."  is this something in the Everchosen tome?

No sorry 40k player here. I mean leader selections. Like how you can’t have your required battleline choices come from your allies. Not sure if that applies to required leader choices as well. If it does, the plaguetouched warband can never have everchosen allegiance (only Archaon is nurgle marked and you would need two)

1 minute ago, Luke1705 said:

No sorry 40k player here. I mean leader selections. Like how you can’t have your required battleline choices come from your allies. Not sure if that applies to required leader choices as well. If it does, the plaguetouched warband can never have everchosen allegiance (only Archaon is nurgle marked and you would need two)

As I understand it from AoS rules,  leader is a distinction in the pitched battle profile, and per the FAQ everything in the PTWB is Everchosen.   I see no reason why slaves with Nurgle marks aren't valid battleline and the heroes certainly use up allowed hero/leader limits. 

I'll weigh in on this. Why not? I posted a thread about it.....

I'm still not real clear on it, but...... the general consensus is that PTWB can be run as pure GA: Chaos. Meaning that any mortal, nurgle units can be used to fulfill the requirements of the war scroll. 

That's fine, I guess. I'm not going to go out of my  way to field it anymore as the loss of all of the Nurgle lore, artifacts, abilities, etc have taken away the "flavor"?, at least for me. I think for a very casual game vs a noob who needs a nice long game to hone his skills, playing against a slow moving tank force would be ok. I personally don't want to turn back the clock to running what is, for me, a boring army.

Just sayin'.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:34 AM, 5kaven5lave said:

Been having some success with my mixed Pestilens list but looking to make some changes - the Plague Priest I’ve been running isn’t doing much so changing him out, and looking to switch the unit of 10 Plaguebearers which leaves a quite a few points. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with the remaining 320 points here, including 1 battleline? Marauders maybe? Would like to have at least 1 extra CP.

Cheers!!

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Plague Furnace (180)
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Total: 1680 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 6
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 166

You need 1 more battleline. 

Get rid of GUO, add glottkin .  Get rid of festus, add blightkings 

17 hours ago, Charlo said:

Thoughts on Tamurkhan's Horde?

Do the benefits outweigh the loss of some characters? Seems pretty good to me but I'm new and a sucker for the frogs!

I am thinking it's horde army needs some msu plague monks for a total of -2 charge.  Throw in a VL corruptor casting the halving charges spell and soulsnare shackles and you have a very locked down opponent with the option of throwing trees to further this plan.  Board with minimum movement? I'll add in the secret weapon: beast of nurgle! Keep tagging and retreating in key locations.  Win the game with zero kill points. Achievement unlocked.

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

You need 1 more battleline. 

Get rid of GUO, add glottkin .  Get rid of festus, add blightkings 

Sweet, the Glott has been starting to call to me. Thanks for the tips man. 

EDIT: Ok, so got the below now, last 220? If I dropped one Monks unit down to 30 I could take Gutrot for deep strikes and have 2 extra CP?

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- General
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Plague Furnace (180)

Battleline

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades

Total: 1780 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 182

Edited by 5kaven5lave

Speaking of the Glott brothers. I started work on a conversion for them! To match the rest of my army, Im having a giant tree growing out his hump. Im positioning it right where ethrac stands, so I have to find a new place for Ethrac. Otto is just fine where he is, although I may alter his pose. Here are some pictures of me working on the concept. Im not super excited about either of these three options. On the base seems boring. On his tentacle a little ...over the top/not realistic? Although I love the idea of Ghurkk protecting his wizard bro with his big tentacle :P. Third option him stepping on ghurkks head makes that side of the model WAYYY to busy. 

Something else I thought of this morning is having another tree brach poke out through the "shoulder" area with the tenacle and position etrac standing on that as if a platform. Probably have to remove a couple of the small horns but im ok with that! Nervous about working on a conversion thats fully painted! Here goes nothing. Want to make glottkin the centerpiece of my nurgle army for NOVA. He single handedly got me runner up best painted last year at NOVA, so want to do him justice and go big on the conversion!

glott conversion.jpg

glott conversion2.jpg

glott conversion3.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@hughwyeth lol yeah man. I love off the wall eye catching conversions! Which of the three spots for ethrac do you like best? I think riding on the tentacle is hilarious. On the base is the safest option if not a bit boring...

Hmm, not sure. I think compositionally the horn works best? If I recall, ethrac was the serious one of the three? I think on the tentacle doesn't quite suit in that sense?

What people's thoughts on this list?

I am slowly trying to get my way to 2000+ points of painted models. I've just got back into the game and really enjoying it.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Bloab Rotspawned (260)
Great Unclean One (340)
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes 
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Nurglings (100)

Behemoths
Warpfire Dragon (240)
- Allies

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 147

Idea is for the poxbtinger to get in a decent position, jump on vortex and spam favoured poses. GUO supporting him and the rest of the army.

Bloab trying to wreck face dealing as many wounds as possible with the kings or PBs.

Nurglings to help get contagion points and the warpfire dragon is to be a bullet magnet as he can't really be ignored too much.

Thanks in advance

On 7/26/2018 at 12:39 PM, Tasman said:

Well, yeah. I don't think it's competitive, but could be fun. I currently am a kind of "first hit's free" kind of guy at our local GW. I play a lot of noobs so I think it's list that would show a lot of the different demographics of the game. I'm afraid that it may even be a bit too strong for that role, what with all those drones.....

You've got to get a sword of Judgement on that Verminlord, he's the perfect chassis.   I've been trying to come up with an Ulgu list out of Pestilens, Nurgle, or the GA with a battalion and a couple verminlord corruptors, one with the Sword of Judgement, and one with the Dimensional Blade (goes from 10 attacks at no rend to 10 attacks at 3 rend.  pretty good bump). 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

I am slowly trying to get my way to 2000+ points of painted models. I've just got back into the game and really enjoying it.

Leaders
Bloab Rotspawned (260)
Great Unclean One (340)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Nurglings (100)

Behemoths
Warpfire Dragon (240)
- Allies

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Idea is for the poxbtinger to get in a decent position, jump on vortex and spam favoured poses. GUO supporting him and the rest of the army.

Bloab trying to wreck face dealing as many wounds as possible with the kings or PBs.

Nurglings to help get contagion points and the warpfire dragon is to be a bullet magnet as he can't really be ignored too much.

Thanks in advance

Bloab is kind of a point sink now, along with the other maggoth kin. If he's all you have right now, use him by all means. But for the points a vermin lord is a whole lot better.

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Speaking of the Glott brothers. I started work on a conversion for them! To match the rest of my army, Im having a giant tree growing out his hump. Im positioning it right where ethrac stands, so I have to find a new place for Ethrac. Otto is just fine where he is, although I may alter his pose. Here are some pictures of me working on the concept. Im not super excited about either of these three options. On the base seems boring. On his tentacle a little ...over the top/not realistic? Although I love the idea of Ghurkk protecting his wizard bro with his big tentacle :P. Third option him stepping on ghurkks head makes that side of the model WAYYY to busy. 

Something else I thought of this morning is having another tree brach poke out through the "shoulder" area with the tenacle and position etrac standing on that as if a platform. Probably have to remove a couple of the small horns but im ok with that! Nervous about working on a conversion thats fully painted! Here goes nothing. Want to make glottkin the centerpiece of my nurgle army for NOVA. He single handedly got me runner up best painted last year at NOVA, so want to do him justice and go big on the conversion!

The only other thing I can recommend is possibly incorporating the gnarlmaw somehow, like making that right leg more of a tree stump (with the gaping gnarlmaw mouth) and adding the tubes.  It's a great idea.

2 hours ago, grungolah said:

The only other thing I can recommend is possibly incorporating the gnarlmaw somehow, like making that right leg more of a tree stump (with the gaping gnarlmaw mouth) and adding the tubes.  It's a great idea.

That about using a Gnarlmaw as the tree growing out of his hump but the footprint is much to big. Good god that would have been cool. But I love your idea of incorporating the Gnarlmaw. I’m certainly going to explore that!

3 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Hmm, not sure. I think compositionally the horn works best? If I recall, ethrac was the serious one of the three? I think on the tentacle doesn't quite suit in that sense?

He is more manic then serious. Paranoid, yet clever. Devious and sinister.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grungolah said:

As I understand it from AoS rules,  leader is a distinction in the pitched battle profile, and per the FAQ everything in the PTWB is Everchosen.   I see no reason why slaves with Nurgle marks aren't valid battleline and the heroes certainly use up allowed hero/leader limits. 

There absolutely is a reason because you don't gain the everchosen keyword. The warscroll is everchosen, so everything in the battalion will either:

A) have everchosen allegiance

or

B) count as allies

So yes you could have slaves with nurgle marks in a PTWB, but they would all be allies since they do not have the everchosen keyword. Being in the battalion does NOT grant you the everchosen keyword.  And as per the core rulebook page 311, the section on allied units, your allied units do not count as battle line for the purposes of having 3+ battle line units at 2k points.  So you definitely cannot run the PTWB using everchosen allegiance at all (not that you would even benefit from doing so, as GA chaos actually has allegiance abilities, unlike everchosen).

TLDR Plagutouched warband is GA: Chaos or bust.  But probably bust

5 hours ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

Leaders
Bloab Rotspawned (260)
Great Unclean One (340)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Nurglings (100)

Behemoths
Warpfire Dragon (240)
- Allies

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Thanks in advance

I don't see a reason to ever run 10 plaguebearers.   They are really only good in blocks of 30. Especially since you can summon groups of 5/10 now as needed. Add more blightkings instead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

I don't see a reason to ever run 10 plaguebearers.   They are really only good in blocks of 30. Especially since you can summon groups of 5/10 now as needed. Add more blightkings instead. 

It's just to fill minimum battleline units. I didn't think blight kings did that? 

Sorry don't have my book to hand.

11 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

It's just to fill minimum battleline units. I didn't think blight kings did that? 

Sorry don't have my book to hand.

Blightkings are nurgle battleline so you could drop the 2 min plaguebearer units for something else like plague drones or blightlords.

• Like 1