AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I'm excited to see what the new tome will be like. I got a Start Collecting box as a gift and just painted my first Blightkings.

84751758_20211207_0834311.jpg.2fcb42f5b1e7570c9e2531181baed788.jpg

Nurgle is just such a relaxing army to paint. I think taking these guys up to 1000 points with a small summoning board will be a nice project. All my other other armies are have "clean" paint jobs, and it feels good to just be able to slap some washes over a base coat sometimes.

Here's hoping that Horticulus Slimux will be playable, that guy is my favourite.

• Like 9

I really hope they don't power creep artifices, traits all that stuff where only 1 or 2 options are the optimal choice. The great thing about the book currently is everything has its uses everything is good and no stand out option. But while we are wish listing I really want the named maggotlords to be viable. 

Edited by Perry89

7 hours ago, Perry89 said:

I really hope they don't power creep artifices, traits all that stuff where only 1 or 2 options are the optimal choice. The great thing about the book currently is everything has its uses everything is good and no stand out option. But while we are wish listing I really want the named maggotlords to be viable. 

Wh... what? One of the key weaknesses of our current book is that we have a TON of options but almost everything is terrible and has no place. The Witherstave has reigned supreme for years, and the sub-factions meant we had no choice of a Trait. Heck, the book currently still had legs thanks to the Bilepiper update in BR: Teclis.

I do certainly hope that we do get balanced enhancements though. Cuz almost every single list was Witherstave, and then trying to fit in Blades of Putrefaction and/or Favoured Poxes.

As an addendum for the book rumours/leaks, I've heard of some people who have been able to check the book and the new Diseased Points allegiance (which is kind of terrible in a vacuum due to extremely low mortal wounds behind 2 dice rng walls) will meaningfully interact with warscrolls and sub-factions (each adding its own touch to how the points work or what they do, supposedly).

Edited by Gistradagis
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Do you know if new plaguebearers got a 5+ ward on the warscroll? Rumors about new pinks are +40 pts for 10 i think I add new plaguebearers to my Legion of the first prince army!!:)

Rumors goes that all nurgle units get 5+ shrug but a faction trait

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Do you know if new plaguebearers got a 5+ ward on the warscroll? Rumors about new pinks are +40 pts for 10 i think I add new plaguebearers to my Legion of the first prince army!!:)

At least you have plaguebearers with 2 wounds each and a 6+ save & ward with the Legion

22 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

GW is generally so-so at pointing higher wounds, so PBs at 2W might mean they'll become... really expensive. Like, don't be surprised if PBs are suddenly 160 or so.

Imagine: 320 pts for 40 HP 6+ 5++ I take it everyday ;)

47 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

GW is generally so-so at pointing higher wounds, so PBs at 2W might mean they'll become... really expensive. Like, don't be surprised if PBs are suddenly 160 or so.

I'm really curious how they go with the points actually. My thought is it's a whole new edition, so what we might have expected in the previous one may have no grounds on how models are pointed now. So far this edition we've seen the damage output go up pretty significantly in stormcast and with the warclans, and some decent increases in resilience in stormcast (moving to a base 3+ save for units with shields, and a 2+ save for annihilators). Not to mention the core rules bringing increased resilience to most factions. Sure 2 wounds at a 6+/5++ sounds pretty great, but it won't make good use of armor stacking. Assuming the trend of increased damage from the first two books continues their newfound toughness may quickly become rather unimpressive in the same way their old -2 to hit did when factions started getting more mortal wounds and re-rolls. 

I definitely expect a points increase, but I'm not really sure how much. 160 sounds fair, but much beyond that and I'd be pretty worried about their long term viability. There's only so many points you can pay for a unit that's essentially just a blob of wounds, especially one that only moves 4" (assuming we lose the bell along with the rest of our movement tricks, or the sword gets a massive buff).  

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, hurben said:

Imagine: 320 pts for 40 HP 6+ 5++ I take it everyday ;)

I wouldn't, in the context of our army. You also need to consider that PBs are the "base" battleline. With our other stuff also going up in points, like the Glottkin supposedly being about 700 and the GuO 550-600, this + 3 MSU of PBs would already be half of our entire list. It's quite the tax just to fill the minimum.

4 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

I'm really curious how they go with the points actually. My thought is it's a whole new edition, so what we might have expected in the previous one may have no grounds on how models are pointed now. So far this edition we've seen the damage output go up pretty significantly in stormcast and with the warclans, and some decent increases in resilience in stormcast (moving to a base 3+ save for units with shields, and a 2+ save for annihilators). Not to mention the core rules bringing increased resilience to most factions. Sure 2 wounds at a 6+/5++ sounds pretty great, but it won't make good use of armor stacking. Assuming the trend of increased damage from the first two books continues their newfound toughness may quickly become rather unimpressive in the same way their old -2 to hit did when factions started getting more mortal wounds and re-rolls. 

I definitely expect a points increase, but I'm not really sure how much. 160 sounds fair, but much beyond that and I'd be pretty worried about their long term viability. There's only so many points you can pay for a unit that's essentially just a blob of wounds, especially one that only moves 4" (assuming we lose the bell along with the rest of our movement tricks, or the sword gets a massive buff).  

That's part of what worries me. I won't be surprised if they are, say 180. And would still be our cheapest battleline, so an expensive tax for the minimum of 3 battleline units. Much like you say, the change from 5+ to 6+ is also lowkey very big. With the increased damage, mortals, and general aggression, losing a point to our save characteristic can be more trouble than what it's worth it, even if they move to 2W. Our PBs would be very big on paper, but die far more easily than ever before while taking more of our list space.

Not much longer to find out though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gistradagis said:

That's part of what worries me. I won't be surprised if they are, say 180.

That sounds to high for me if they stay the Only Batteline.

Because if u Right u had a Tax of more than 1k if u wont fit in a GUO.... thats ..... would make me very sad if it is so.

And the Problem if u look at other Armys and Battelines there 140 Maybe 150 sounds fair for the Mix of Warscroll we expect but if u Looking on the Pointcost in other Armys (# i am Looking at u ALLHEDONITUNITS) it could be 180 jes. But this could be a Killer for the Army.

Just now, Beliman said:

Yeah, it's a bit cheating, but I was talking about generic battleline and not one subfaction 🤣

Hahah yeah you're right mate. 
I would love to see Nurglings switching as battleline but it would be to easy for our opponent to score the battle tactic ^^ 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, hurben said:

I would love to see Nurglings switching as battleline but it would be to easy for our opponent to score the battle tactic ^^

Not really. Buy 6 Bases and give them a 5++ Ward and it is not that easy.

45 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Kruleboyz have only one generic battline for 180p too.

But u built your Battelstrategie on Kruleboyz or Boltboyz, but jes Maybe we had to built the army and battelstrategie on

Mass PB

MassSmall (5er) BK

or….Nothing.

I Would like too see that u get extra Batteline when u choose different Subfractions/Legions (Nurglings or PlagueDrones or so)

That would be cool.