AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, boombyeyeah said:

In my experience BKs are only usefull with gutrot spume via deep strike. So far I have good results with MSU Plaguebearers and Drones. 

Do you mean in 2.0 or in 3.0? And how many did you deepstrike with Spume? No other support? So you could play a daemonheavy list and just add Spume +X Blightkings for some variety and still be effective?

Until now it is Plaguebearer-anvil with Drone-Hammer for me. But most damage still came from One last gift. It was pure joy to see 20 LRL Wardens just melt away under all of my gifts.🤣

• Like 1

17 hours ago, boombyeyeah said:

In my experience BKs are only usefull with gutrot spume via deep strike. So far I have good results with MSU Plaguebearers and Drones. 

On 8/17/2021 at 9:07 PM, Archibald said:

So there is no way to play Rotbringers competitively? Blightkings seem especially weak, because they can't combine their 6s to hit male D6 hits with the blades of putrification spell.

I mostly deal damage via the commandtrait "one last gift", everything else is just peanuts...

drones are nasty! if you went heavy on the pusgoyles i think you could make a mortal list work, combine with glotkin's CA and spell and they'd be very difficult to shift and hit pretty hard.  Pricy though. 

something like might have legs....

Allegiance: Nurgle - Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons - Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence - Triumphs:

LEADERS Lord of Afflictions (180) - General - Command Trait: Foul Conqueror - Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate

The Glottkin (395) - Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Orghotts Daemonspew (220)

Gutrot Spume (145)

Harbinger of Decay (145)

UNITS 2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (185)

2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (185)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (165)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (165

9 hours ago, papary said:

drones are nasty! if you went heavy on the pusgoyles i think you could make a mortal list work, combine with glotkin's CA and spell and they'd be very difficult to shift and hit pretty hard.  Pricy though. 

Allegiance: Nurgle - Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons - Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence - Triumphs:

LEADERS Lord of Afflictions (180) - General - Command Trait: Foul Conqueror - Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate

Gutrot Spume (145)

Harbinger of Decay (145)

Hmm, i am not shure, but the list seems to lack staying power. Drones dropped like flies when they got focused and Pusgoyles will do the same i guess. The Harbinger only boosts the Glottkin and one Blightking unit, because you wanted to use Spume with one unit of Blightkings?

The mobility of the Pusgoyles doesn't fit with the slow Glottkin i guess. The Benefit of Orgoths ability seems quite small. He should be buffing a unit with a good melee profile, which pure Nurgle seems to lack. And the Blightkings don't do much...

I would LOVE to have a good argument to buy into Rotbringers, but they seem so weak compared to daemons or mixed Nurgle lists.😭😭

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

Hmm, i am not shure, but the list seems to lack staying power. Drones dropped like flies when they got focused and Pusgoyles will do the same i guess. The Harbinger only boosts the Glottkin and one Blightking unit, because you wanted to use Spume with one unit of Blightkings?

The mobility of the Pusgoyles doesn't fit with the slow Glottkin i guess. The Benefit of Orgoths ability seems quite small. He should be buffing a unit with a good melee profile, which pure Nurgle seems to lack. And the Blightkings don't do much...

I would LOVE to have a good argument to buy into Rotbringers, but they seem so weak compared to daemons or mixed Nurgle lists.😭😭

Haha I’m just trying to get you to do it! If you really love the models I reckon you could make it work. It will take some playing around though, I’ve ran a unit of 2 pusgoyles and they didn’t get taken off. However I prefer playing daemons and bringing be’lakor along

Hi, been thinking about dipping my toe into nurgle. Always loved Pusgoyls and would like to make them work. Them counting as 2 models each at 8 wounds is a nice bonus. Could something like this work? 

Still undecided on whether to split up the plaguebearers or not.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
Triumphs: Inspired
Lord of Afflictions (180)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)*
Gutrot Spume (145)*
Great Unclean One (350)***
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
- Bile Blade & Massive Bilesword
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (370)**
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Putrid Blightkings (165)**
20 x Plaguebearers (220)*
- Reinforced x 1
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands
***Alpha-Beast Pack
Artefact

Total: 1970 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120
Drops: 8

Edited by Verminlord

Feeling kind of sad with the new FAQ. One last gift now triggers on their 1s instead of their 6s. 
It used to be that every one was having fun around the table; You hit me and I hit you, joy!
Now they will be twice as sad when they miss and we won't be happier when they hit.

Sharing the joy of Nurgle just lost a bit of meaning today :(

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Bibob45 said:

Feeling kind of sad with the new FAQ. One last gift now triggers on their 1s instead of their 6s. 
It used to be that every one was having fun around the table; You hit me and I hit you, joy!
Now they will be twice as sad when they miss and we won't be happier when they hit.

Sharing the joy of Nurgle just lost a bit of meaning today :(

Didn't see that until now. I totally agree with you. That is really sad, that we will share less of grandfathers joy.

I will have to try it out, before i will give my final judgement. But it feels like there are less 1s than 6s, because 1s are often rerolled...

I think it might be a bit of a wash power wise. Yeah there are usually more 6's, but it means that opponents can't dodge the ability entirely if they had an ability that triggered on 6's. For example slaanesh armies were totally immune to the ability because they triggered extra hits on a roll of a 6 to hit, and the attacking model just got to choose to trigger their ability over the trigger from one last gift. 

Thematically though, totally agree. The ability is even called One Last Gift, implying it happens when a model is hit and hurt and it imparts a last gift on the attacker before dying. Doesn't make any sense to trigger off 1's to hit. 

4 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

I think it might be a bit of a wash power wise. Yeah there are usually more 6's, but it means that opponents can't dodge the ability entirely if they had an ability that triggered on 6's. For example slaanesh armies were totally immune to the ability because they triggered extra hits on a roll of a 6 to hit, and the attacking model just got to choose to trigger their ability over the trigger from one last gift. 

Thematically though, totally agree. The ability is even called One Last Gift, implying it happens when a model is hit and hurt and it imparts a last gift on the attacker before dying. Doesn't make any sense to trigger off 1's to hit. 

Word is they changed it because of the interaction with the witherstave.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 1:53 AM, Verminlord said:

Hi, been thinking about dipping my toe into nurgle. Always loved Pusgoyls and would like to make them work. Them counting as 2 models each at 8 wounds is a nice bonus. Could something like this work? 

Still undecided on whether to split up the plaguebearers or not.

Hide contents

Allegiance: Nurgle
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
Triumphs: Inspired
Lord of Afflictions (180)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (130)*
Gutrot Spume (145)*
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
- Bile Blade & Massive Bilesword
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (370)**
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Putrid Blightkings (165)**
20 x Plaguebearers (220)*
- Reinforced x 1
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands
***Alpha-Beast Pack
Artefact

Total: 1970 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120
Drops: 8

Nurgle mortals aka Blightkings and their heroes took a big hit in 3.0, but Pusgoyles are daemons and can be included in a munificent wanderers list.

Tamurkhan's Horde got updated as well. It now mentions you need your opponent's approval to play them but they still have the correct Keywords to be played as Maggotkin. Everything got some small points increases and a few changes to warscrolls.

Toads and Ogres got Ward 5 in place of their old abilities. Bile Troggoths got even worse with the points increase compared to Fellwater Troggoths.

Is here anyone using bullgors as their main key hammer in competitive game?

Frankly, for me, it seems like there isn't any main dealing unit for pure nurgle. 

plague drones could be one of the candidates, but I felt it is quite hard to keep it 7'' of nurgle daemon hero except Lord of Afflictions. AND LOA isn't also stable dealing hero. Blades of putrifaction or curse prayer by plague priest can be the answer for plague drones to use its multiple attacks, but I don't want to rely on my army's main dealing to 7+ spell or 4+ prayer.

Blightkings were my main units in my army before AOS 3.0, but without rend by blight cyst it cannot defeat 3+ save battlelines. And munificent wanderers are super good now. So mortal units seems to stay back from main roster.

Beast of nurgle is... kinda good. It's moving like nurgle chariot or nurgle wolves by reteat and charge. It is good sub-hammer, but it cannot be main dealing unit.

Bullgors with great axes are the only unit that can deal 3 damage by its own warscroll excluding heroes. And now they can be nurgle marked without battalion. They can give additional mortal wounds, and they cost only 140pts. With glottkin's attack buff and minus hit aura, it can be key dealing unit for nurgle...probably....?

So before I add new cows to my army, how you guys think? Is here anyone using bullgors or dumbull in AOS 3.0?

1 hour ago, nurglish said:

Frankly, for me, it seems like there isn't any main dealing unit for pure nurgle. 

plague drones could be one of the candidates, but I felt it is quite hard to keep it 7'' of nurgle daemon hero except Lord of Afflictions. AND LOA isn't also stable dealing hero. Blades of putrifaction or curse prayer by plague priest can be the answer for plague drones to use its multiple attacks, but I don't want to rely on my army's main dealing to 7+ spell or 4+ prayer.

Blightkings were my main units in my army before AOS 3.0, but without rend by blight cyst it cannot defeat 3+ save battlelines. And munificent wanderers are super good now. So mortal units seems to stay back from main roster.

Beast of nurgle is... kinda good. It's moving like nurgle chariot or nurgle wolves by reteat and charge. It is good sub-hammer, but it cannot be main dealing unit.

Bullgors with great axes are the only unit that can deal 3 damage by its own warscroll excluding heroes. And now they can be nurgle marked without battalion. They can give additional mortal wounds, and they cost only 140pts. With glottkin's attack buff and minus hit aura, it can be key dealing unit for nurgle...probably....?

So before I add new cows to my army, how you guys think? Is here anyone using bullgors or dumbull in AOS 3.0?

It might be an interesting option to try, but I still prefer plague drones over cows. They are a bit more expensives in points, but they count as double on objectives, and they are tankier with disgustingly resilient + locust of corrosion in munificient wanderers.
Damage wise, yes they are better when alone, but plague drones becomes so good when paired with a sloppity and/or a spoilpox. But i agree you need to adapt playstyle so they are moving with the bulk of the army or the buffing heroes.

2 hours ago, nurglish said:

And it reminds me how mortal damage increases dmg total of unit. I didn't realize mortal wounds can be effective that much.

Depending on attack profile and ennemy saves, sometimes MW on 6 to hit is better, while sometimes the extra attack is better. I made a quick chart for 1 damage no rend attacks to compare both in order to help me with my sloppity decisions.

extra attacks vs MW.PNG

Edited by Bibob45

Hi guys,

I am painting models since many years but haven't played yet. I decided to try AoS with V3 and have decided to go for a Chaos army, trying to mix Nurgle/STD units. Your discussions on Doombull/Bullgors caught my attention too as I love these models.

I made a first draft of a list with units I like basically (don't look at Grand Strategy, Arte, etc, haven't looked into them yet. Not trying to compete in World Cup, just trying to have some fun at my local shop.

What do you think? What is missing/redundant? Would you think it could be a good idea to replace some units with Bullgors/Doombull?

Thanks for your help and advice!

rORFpjM.png

2 hours ago, Nuitblanche said:

Hi guys,

I am painting models since many years but haven't played yet. I decided to try AoS with V3 and have decided to go for a Chaos army, trying to mix Nurgle/STD units. Your discussions on Doombull/Bullgors caught my attention too as I love these models.

I made a first draft of a list with units I like basically (don't look at Grand Strategy, Arte, etc, haven't looked into them yet. Not trying to compete in World Cup, just trying to have some fun at my local shop.

What do you think? What is missing/redundant? Would you think it could be a good idea to replace some units with Bullgors/Doombull?

Thanks for your help and advice!

rORFpjM.png

Hi and welcome to the game!

Few things at first glance;

Fomoroid Crusher does not have the Mark of Chaos keyword. You can still use it in Nurgle, but as an Ally, not as a coalition unit.

Chaos lord is at is best when you have a powerfull target for the fight twice command ability. Since this CA can only target mortal S2D units, in this list it can only target marauders, chariot or crusher. I guess most of the time the target will be the marauders, but I'm unsure wheter or not they justify including the Chaos Lord. 

Do you plan to use the Cogs for charge bonus or wizard bonus?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bibob45 said:

Hi and welcome to the game!

Few things at first glance;

Fomoroid Crusher does not have the Mark of Chaos keyword. You can still use it in Nurgle, but as an Ally, not as a coalition unit.

Chaos lord is at is best when you have a powerfull target for the fight twice command ability. Since this CA can only target mortal S2D units, in this list it can only target marauders, chariot or crusher. I guess most of the time the target will be the marauders, but I'm unsure wheter or not they justify including the Chaos Lord. 

Do you plan to use the Cogs for charge bonus or wizard bonus?

Thanks for your help!

Good catch for Crusher, I removed it.

Same for Chaos Lord, I'll keep it for a more S2D oriented army.

Cogs was here for charge bonus but I don't know how good it is.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:04 AM, nurglish said:

plague drones could be one of the candidates, but I felt it is quite hard to keep it 7'' of nurgle daemon hero except Lord of Afflictions. AND LOA isn't also stable dealing hero. 

Daemon Prince of Nurgle or Verminlord Corruptor can both stay close by with ease. Between the new rules for Spoilpox and Bilepiper, followed by staying close to a prince or Verminlord (or both), Plague Drones get a metric ton of attacks. 

BoC lurker here. It's a shame that in 3.0 we can't run big Nurgle beast armies anymore - I'm hoping this will change in the near future with the rumours of a new chaos book that's likely to be BoC or Nurgle. There's a lot of Nurgle Beast armies in the fluff (particularly in Ghyran) so I think they should be represented on the tabletop. I've got a nice stack of Maggotkin models that I painted up in the End Times that are sorely missing the company of goats. 

Anyway, this has caught my attention:

On 8/29/2021 at 12:04 PM, nurglish said:

On 8/30/2021 at 12:31 PM, Nuitblanche said:

Bullgors are good but they take finesse to use. You have to plan ahead and keep them well screened. Everyone knows that Bullgors with great axes pose a serious threat, and they will be targeted. They got better in 3.0 with access to all out attack, as their old weakness was the 4+ to hit that could make them unpredictably swingy. You don't usually get them into combat until the mid game, so when you send them in to smash something, you really want them to maximise their damage output. Keeping them safe from shooting/magic can be challenging. They work well if you hold them back behind 2 screens of chaff, wait for said chaff to get charged, then send in Bullgors as a counter charge. Their 5+ save makes them squishy in combat, but the Harbinger might be able to help out there. Ideally, you want to send in Bullgors as buffed as you can get them, and make sure you get to attack first. If you get it right, they can kill most things. Unfortunately taking them in Nurgle means they don't get their 'Primal Instinct' battle traits - Mortal wounds on the charge, and healing if they destroy a unit. I don't think it's worth taking a Doombull in a Nurgle army for this reason. Doombulls make nice buff pieces that can fight well, but they don't have many attacks, so they aren't the 'hammer' that you'd expect them to be. They're most effective when they have access to their allegiance abilities. There's better ways of buffing Bullgors in the Nurgle book. Orghotts Daemonspew's wound reroll is particularly good, as Bullgors do MWs on 6s to wound. Glottkin's +1 attack is also an obviously good choice.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:41 AM, papary said:

Gutrot Spume (145)

Harbinger of Decay (145)

Speaking from experience the maggoth riders are just not good. I just played in an rtt with a funsies list not trying to be competitive and while I had some chances the damage output of the riders for their cost is just obscenely bad. Drones with blades are insanely good but the rest are just horrifically bad in general..

Nurgle right now is like playing hard mode.

36 minutes ago, Aphotic said:

Speaking from experience the maggoth riders are just not good. I just played in an rtt with a funsies list not trying to be competitive and while I had some chances the damage output of the riders for their cost is just obscenely bad. Drones with blades are insanely good but the rest are just horrifically bad in general..

Nurgle right now is like playing hard mode.

I love Bloab. Not used him in 3rd ed., though. 

• Like 1