AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I think chaos warhounds are good screens.  And while not marked Khorne, they sort of jive with Khorne being hounds.  Their speed can get them ahead if needed or keep them back to take a charge that can wipe or nearly wipe them, allowing the Skullreapers behind to pile in when it's their turn.

I used Warhounds in the past, they are a favorite of mine, but now they are much smaller. I guess they still work... you might still be able to get a wide frontage on them.

I'm thinking I dismissed Mighty Skullcrushers too soon. They are actually competitively priced per wound to our other battle line. Now that we lost our old battalions they have more function. They are pretty tough with no support. Faster and tougher than Blood warriors and blood reavers.

Not sure it its worth it over just 20 sacrificial blood reavers though.

I still don't believe in their ability to hurt anything (Skullcrushers), but tough and fast battle line seems like an asset.

Maybe its time for skullcrusher and chaos knight cavalry. With Khorne on Jug for the BL and some other support.

9 hours ago, kahadin said:

I used Warhounds in the past, they are a favorite of mine, but now they are much smaller. I guess they still work... you might still be able to get a wide frontage on them.

I'm thinking I dismissed Mighty Skullcrushers too soon. They are actually competitively priced per wound to our other battle line. Now that we lost our old battalions they have more function. They are pretty tough with no support. Faster and tougher than Blood warriors and blood reavers.

Not sure it its worth it over just 20 sacrificial blood reavers though.

I still don't believe in their ability to hurt anything (Skullcrushers), but tough and fast battle line seems like an asset.

Maybe its time for skullcrusher and chaos knight cavalry. With Khorne on Jug for the BL and some other support.

I know some people used to do JuggerLord with Skullcrushers for Battleline and Varanguard of Khorne. Maybe a mix of Varanguard and Chaos Knights? 

6 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

I know some people used to do JuggerLord with Skullcrushers for Battleline and Varanguard of Khorne. Maybe a mix of Varanguard and Chaos Knights? 

Threw together real fast a JuggerLord with 3 units of MS for battleline, 2 units of Chaos Knights and 2 units of Varanguard are 1565pts. 435pts still gives you options, and no allies have been used. Priest for bronzed flesh and allied wizard for mystic shield?

16 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think chaos warhounds are good screens.  And while not marked Khorne, they sort of jive with Khorne being hounds.  Their speed can get them ahead if needed or keep them back to take a charge that can wipe or nearly wipe them, allowing the Skullreapers behind to pile in when it's their turn.

Regarding the Caolition Rules, Warhounds will get the Khorne Keyword as soon as they are part of a Khorne army.

And it really doesn´t matter that the coherency rules changed. Because if you need them as a screen it´s ok if they will die. On the other hand, you can still daisy chain them an just at both ends you need to be sure that 3 of them are within 1" of 2 others, something like this:

warhound                                                                                          warhound

warhound warhound warhound warhound warhound warhound warhound warhound

That´s still almost 30" of screening dudes!

If at least one dies, ok, they did their job being a good screen and some of them may die due to coherency rules. Mayby all, but then they will give you a Bloodtithe point – and one of the cheapest ones!

If none of them die, they are still in coherency and everthing is fine.

Edited by Hannibal
  • Like 1

I was thinking about taking a grand strategy for having remaining BL and making ways to heal the skull crushers. If I can make them hard enough then the opponent would have to make a choice about killing them or my knights/ other scoring units. Hopefully I would be able to score with whatever was left. I'm going to try and see what I can work out with it.

I'm trying to plan for how to accomplish battle tactics right now. I think that making a plan for when and how they will be scored is vital and they can be planned for. "Some seem really easy, like the run 3 units one" and chaos knights should be able to eat a unit.
I wish Khorgoraths were monsters. I'm not sure they would be great, but I'd love to squish some extra points from them for battle tactics.

Hey lads, long time lurker first time poster.
I was a competitive WHFB player from the world that was, and I’m interested in playing tournament level AoS in the future. I’ve done a bit of research into competitive BoK lists from 2.0 and most of the top lists seem to run Archaon. I was wondering if this is still a viable choice given the new 3.0 rules and if our slaughter priest prayer nerfs will change this?

I’m currently still assembling and painting models but wanted to get some more opinions on Archaon before I made the purchase. Any advice / thoughts would be much appreciated. Cheers!

• Like 1

@Gigachad
Its too early to say ;_;
The way scoring works in matched play has changed dramatically. I think that alone will change what works and what doesn't.
I don't think anyone has a handle on whats cutting edge yet.
Archeon should be good. He is a monster and a killer. He should be pooping out battle tactics points every round and hopefully stop opponents from killing your warlord or all your heroes.

He is especially good now that new coherency stops a lot of models from being in range to attack him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharklone said:

Anyone been able to put together a decent Khorne list using just battletom units and not souping in stuff. Our General options for mortals seems awful at the moment

Well i just tested a juggerlord with 9 mightyskulls and a chaos lord daemonic mount with mark of the slayer for reroll 1 aura. A bloodstocker with talisman of burning blood and you are able to alpha strike. It's easy to win battleline strategy and they were not possible to ignore. The juggerlord général was just here for CA génération and battleline you Can send him on other fronts and he's thé more durable for his points i had a daemon prince and flesh hounds with soul grinder on 3rd front thé enemy didn't knew what to focus. But this army was very hard to manœuvrer. I was able to score every thing but thé battle plan was on my side and my adversary wasn't top meta army. 

• Thanks 1

1000 points:

Goretide

bloodsecrator

bloodstoker

bloodreavers with axes

bloodreavers with axes

Magore’s fiends

Garrek’s Reavers

chimera with MoK

chimera with MoK

unit of Reavers gets flung into a unit that is a threat to the Chimeras turn 1, rest of army moves up, pop chimeras into units turn 2 and watch bloodbath ensue. If I actually get 8 BT points built up, summon ‘Thirster of Insensate Rage. Not sure much is surviving that at 1000pts. Underworld bands for cheap BT points, a dispel caddy, and artillery hunting. 

On 7/11/2021 at 1:37 AM, kahadin said:

I can't believe Skullcrushers are any good.

For offensive purpose? God no way! Coherency crippled them hard. Units of 3 loose the good charge bonus, units of 6 can't fight any longer with all models in and also can't position in a way that allows all models to do impact mortals. 

Defensively they are an awesome piece due to 5 wounds with a 3+ save. We can up them to 2+ with a CA (that hey can issue to themself due to unit leader), they count as 2 models for scoring and are moderately fast and can soak up many wounds.

Edited by Charleston

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

For offensive purpose? God no way! Coherency crippled them hard. Units of 3 loose the good charge bonus, units of 6 can't fight any longer with all models in and also can't position in a way that allows all models to do impact mortals. 

Defensively they are an awesome piece due to 5 wounds with a 3+ save. We can up them to 2+ with a CA (that hey can issue to themself due to unit leader), they count as 2 models for scoring and are moderately fast and can soak up many wounds.

I think we need to put bless (fnp6+) on them

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 3:52 AM, Charleston said:

Been building skullcrusher-heavy but have yet to play. I was going to try units of 6 and see if the opponent took the bait using unleash hell or simply started pinging models before their charge.

If they stay at 6, frontage of 4 can D3MW, if depleted down to 5 then full frontage/not bothered by coherency. Will have lance knights, thirsters and mounted characters to clear their combats after SC tarpit the enemy.

Edited by CrimsonKing
D3MW at 6

Thinking about running this. Double Warlord, double Thirsters, double Knights, with a mid-field Curse to allow the Knights and Marauders to absolutely melt units. Not even certain I've done this correctly in terms of known Prayers, but anyway... Sorry for the formatting. Keen for any criticisms or comments.

Allegiance: Khorne

- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280) in Warlord

- General

- Command Trait: Mage Eater

- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (295) in Warlord

- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle

Bloodsecrator (125) in Warlord

Slaughterpriest (110) in Warlord

- Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal

- Prayer: Bronzed Flesh

- Universal Prayer Scripture: Guidance

- Prayer: Blood Sacrifice

Bloodstoker (85) in Warlord

5 x Flesh Hounds (105) in Warlord

10 x Bloodreavers (80) in Warlord

- Meatripper Axes

20 x Chaos Marauders (180) in Warlord

- Axes & Shields

- Reinforced x 1

5 x Chaos Knights (170)

- Cursed Lance

5 x Chaos Knights (170)

- Cursed Lance

Chaos Warshrine (185)

- Prayer2: Prayer: Killing Frenzy

- Prayer1: Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse

Warlord

Warlord

Artefact

Prayer

Total: 2000 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 142

• Like 1

Some points to take into account, boys:

1) 5x Flesh Hounds are a very good battleline choice: cheap, fast, can dispel, can screen, no bravey or coherency problems.
2) Khorne Daemon Prince can be a real pain in the ass, if opponent can deep strike us. Force to fail 4 charges is strong (true story), in a edition that allows you to repeat only one of them (out of special abilities).
3) Reapers of Vengeance have a big "damage output problem": I tested this faction quite a bit (against Lumineth and Kragnos) and, without Archaon, I realized that only the Insensate Rage will benefit from the combo (move+run+double pile in from 6"), because the Unfettered will activate his warscroll command pretty always. And we all know Bloodthirsters aren't tanky at all.

9 hours ago, Roark said:

I'm thinking maybe Predator's Domain...

4) Wise choice, because is our way to go (and this time that's not an opinion), cause we can accomplish the strategy with the starting units AND summonings.
You can summon, you can retreat from combat and take position and you can smash with monsters the enemy's faction scenery (to avoid less control).

Edited by Holy_Diver
correction

As much as i hate the new Judgement and Priest, we need mortal wound output. So Curse + Wrath Axe is very costly but i don't know how to deal mortal wounds either way.

Here is a list i'm working on :

- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs: reroll charge

Leaders
- General
- Command Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210) in Warlord
- Axe

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (155) in Warlord
- Artefact: Mark of the slayer
- Prayer: Curse

- Prayer: Killing Frenzy
- Prayer: Heal

Doombull (115) in Warlord
- Artefact: Halo of Blood

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (80) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Meatripper Axes
- Meatripper Axes

Behemoths
Slaughterbrute (165) in Alpha-Beast Pack
Soul Grinder (235)
Chaos Gargant (180) in Alpha-Beast Pack

Endless Spells & Invocations
Hexgorger Skulls (60)
Wrath-Axe (85)

Core Battalions
Warlord
Warlord
Hunters of the Heartlands
Linebreaker

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Wounds: 123

Two blobs on the map :

- one with gargants, slaughterbrute, doombull(+1 attack on gargants), lord on daemonic mount (art reroll 1 hit), priest with bronze flesh + curse + some bloodreavers for the curse if it ever happen

- another blob with doggos, soul grinder, priest with killing frenzy + heal and daemon prince 

- Bloodsecrator +4 move where needed or in the skull altar (depend of the map and the enemy monsters)

If skulltaker stays non unique i take him with halo of blood and +4 move and i ditch the wrath axe and a slaughterpriest !

2 hours ago, Perturbato said:

As much as i hate the new Judgement and Priest, we need mortal wound output. So Curse + Wrath Axe is very costly but i don't know how to deal mortal wounds either way.

Here is a list i'm working on :

- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs: reroll charge

Leaders
- General
- Command Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210) in Warlord
- Axe

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (155) in Warlord
- Artefact: Mark of the slayer
- Prayer: Curse

- Prayer: Killing Frenzy
- Prayer: Heal

Doombull (115) in Warlord
- Artefact: Halo of Blood

Battleline
- Meatripper Axes
- Meatripper Axes

Behemoths
Slaughterbrute (165) in Alpha-Beast Pack
Soul Grinder (235)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Hexgorger Skulls (60)
Wrath-Axe (85)

Core Battalions
Warlord
Warlord
Hunters of the Heartlands
Linebreaker

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Wounds: 123

Two blobs on the map :

- one with gargants, slaughterbrute, doombull(+1 attack on gargants), lord on daemonic mount (art reroll 1 hit), priest with bronze flesh + curse + some bloodreavers for the curse if it ever happen

- another blob with doggos, soul grinder, priest with killing frenzy + heal and daemon prince 

- Bloodsecrator +4 move where needed or in the skull altar (depend of the map and the enemy monsters)

If skulltaker stays non unique i take him with halo of blood and +4 move and i ditch the wrath axe and a slaughterpriest !

Did they do a typo on Skulltaker? He’s been a unique/special character since he was created in WHFB 7th edition and throughout 2.0. Definitely a mistake. He is absolutely unique. 

5 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Did they do a typo on Skulltaker? He’s been a unique/special character since he was created in WHFB 7th edition and throughout 2.0. Definitely a mistake. He is absolutely unique. 

yeah i have no hope for it to stay that way but i need a small non named beefy hero. I could take the Herald on Blood throne but he is huge.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:21 AM, Sharklone said:

Anyone been able to put together a decent Khorne list using just battletom units and not souping in stuff. Our General options for mortals seems awful at the moment

My best shot would be:

Reapers host

1x lord on jugger general

1x priest with BP prayer

1x skarbrand

1x secrator

3x3 juggers

2x5 mongers, maybe 1x10

2x5 skullreapers

Use the warlord battalion or adjust a bit for 1 drop battalion.

Sturdy general generates CPs, you use them on units via champions for buffs. Mongers/secrator provide blanket +2 attack. You don't need other buffs.

Priest and msu ramps you into thirster summon.

Reapers host are for double tapping Skarbrand and summoned thirster.

The thing is, StD don't add much anymore.

You can't take above 20 marauders in a unit.

Knights fill the same role as juggers except they aren't battleline. They're fine but they aren't a big upgrade.

Shrines are useless without big blobs of marauders/knights to buff and only 1 prayer on 185pt body.

Warriors+lord are the only good ones when you take 20 but that is a big commitment.

Maybe some thirster build is the best for us but so far it seems like we're playing msu elite units until the next book. Which isn't bad per se sine our mortal units are optimized for msu play but doesn't seem very strong.

• Like 1

I dont think S2D are a great inclusion anymore (except daemon princes, soul grinders, 2 unmarked Underworld teams that get you a sorcerer and lord on daemon mount w/knight retinue). But I do love the idea I’ve seen about adding in Chineras from BoC. Those things have 4 attack profiles so benefit heavily from Bloodsecrator and Wrathmongers.