AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, Sir Mercury said:

Well thats the reason I only got 1 Khorgie per unit

lol I'm blind. Please ignore me. I dig that you packed in all the Judgements. I like to do that too now. I think they're underrated. The opponent can't do anything about them. They just have to cop it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Mercury said:

Well the thing about this list is to buff the Khorgoraths with the CA from Skullfiend Tribe Heroes. Letting every Khorgorath wholly w 10" re-roll hit AND wound rolls in the combat phase.

Totally overlooked that the CA effects EVERY unit wholy within 10" and not just one. I collect Khorgoraths since months and I´ve trying ti figure out how to best run them...

Hi, I'm getting back in to Warhammer and wanted to start with mostly mortal Blades of Khorne. I see a lot of people take a Bloodsecrator and at least two Slaughterpriests as a foundation, which makes sense. I was just curious what battalions you recommend a new player look at as most useful? I also really like Wrathmongers and Skullreapers though I'm not sure how to field them and in what numbers they work.

Also a couple modeling questions. I know the Wrathmonger/Skullreaper box has a torso for each and the same legs, is there a common set of legs people use to get use out of that other torso? I thought maybe Blood Warriors but not sure how large they are. Also is the Start Collecting box all single weapon options for the Blood Warriors and Reavers? I have no idea what weapon combo is best on these but it seemed in pics they only have one.

Thanks for any answers or additional newbie advice you might toss my way :)

42 minutes ago, Blood Priest said:

Hi, I'm getting back in to Warhammer and wanted to start with mostly mortal Blades of Khorne. I see a lot of people take a Bloodsecrator and at least two Slaughterpriests as a foundation, which makes sense. I was just curious what battalions you recommend a new player look at as most useful? I also really like Wrathmongers and Skullreapers though I'm not sure how to field them and in what numbers they work.

Have a look at this bat rep:

42 minutes ago, Blood Priest said:

Also is the Start Collecting box all single weapon options for the Blood Warriors and Reavers? I have no idea what weapon combo is best on these but it seemed in pics they only have one.

These are the NON-multi-part-models, meaning no weapon options. This is based on the assumption you´re talking about the Start Collecting which also includes a Khorgorath...

• Thanks 1

I too was looking at a Khorgorath list. One thing I was squeezing in was a rage thirster.  I think the Skullfiend CT and Item are both best on him. +2 attacks (possibly upto 9)and then the AoE mortal wounds can often kill multiple support heroes so doubling the blood tithe can be really good. 

Its fun as for me the coolest aspect of Khorne is more around suicide MSU style (although as said maybe not the most competitive but you have to enjoy what you play). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blood Priest said:

Also a couple modeling questions. I know the Wrathmonger/Skullreaper box has a torso for each and the same legs, is there a common set of legs people use to get use out of that other torso? I thought maybe Blood Warriors but not sure how large they are. Also is the Start Collecting box all single weapon options for the Blood Warriors and Reavers? I have no idea what weapon combo is best on these but it seemed in pics they only have one.

Thanks for any answers or additional newbie advice you might toss my way :)

The easiest battalion to start with is probably Gore Pilgrims. It includes everything you'd want to take anyway, and gives you some extra range on the bloodsecrator making it a touch easier to run. I also really like dark feast, but not really for the battalion benefit. It's mostly to take a bunch of screening units of bloodreavers and put them all down in a single deployment.

Otherwise based on what you said bloodforged is pretty good if you want to run wrathmongers and slaughterborn for skullreapers. For both I usually take 2-3 of the elite units, 5 models each, and sit them behind a screen of bloodreavers. I especially like wrathmongers because they can attack over their screens, and in bloodforged they can attack twice making them very dangerous.

For modeling the torsos in the skullreaper/wrathmonger kit is a little weird. It does more than 5 torsos, but they're all missing the lower back which is supplied by an armored piece that attaches to the legs. If I remember correctly there are only 5 of these pieces, so unfortunately there's no easy way to transport the torso to other legs. They're also noticeably bigger than bloodwarriors so I don't think it'd look great even if you figured a way around it. It's a little unfortunate but it does give you a lot of extra bits for other conversions like making khorne themed slaves to darkness. 

For best weapons at the moment I'd say meatripper axes on bloodreavers and gorefists on blood warriors, but it doesn't make a ton of difference. They both barely do any damage regardless of loadout so if you really like the look of one over the other then that's fine too. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Grimrock said:

The easiest battalion to start with is probably Gore Pilgrims. It includes everything you'd want to take anyway, and gives you some extra range on the bloodsecrator making it a touch easier to run. I also really like dark feast, but not really for the battalion benefit. It's mostly to take a bunch of screening units of bloodreavers and put them all down in a single deployment.

Otherwise based on what you said bloodforged is pretty good if you want to run wrathmongers and slaughterborn for skullreapers. For both I usually take 2-3 of the elite units, 5 models each, and sit them behind a screen of bloodreavers. I especially like wrathmongers because they can attack over their screens, and in bloodforged they can attack twice making them very dangerous.

For modeling the torsos in the skullreaper/wrathmonger kit is a little weird. It does more than 5 torsos, but they're all missing the lower back which is supplied by an armored piece that attaches to the legs. If I remember correctly there are only 5 of these pieces, so unfortunately there's no easy way to transport the torso to other legs. They're also noticeably bigger than bloodwarriors so I don't think it'd look great even if you figured a way around it. It's a little unfortunate but it does give you a lot of extra bits for other conversions like making khorne themed slaves to darkness. 

For best weapons at the moment I'd say meatripper axes on bloodreavers and gorefists on blood warriors, but it doesn't make a ton of difference. They both barely do any damage regardless of loadout so if you really like the look of one over the other then that's fine too. 

Its possible to magnetise the torsos and glue the magnetised Backplate to the legs. So you can switch between skullreapers and wrathmongers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2020 at 6:07 AM, Sir Mercury said:

Well Im not gonna decide who's going first with this list but I'll try it out soon in a local tournament. 

My friendly testgames so far has been succesful and every time the opponent gets a WTF moment and can't decide where to focus.

I like it!

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Skullfiend Tribe

Leaders
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Master Decapitator 
Mighty Lord of Khorne (140)
- Artefact: Crowncleaver 
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Bleeding Icon (40)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

I run a list with 10. They are super killy and everyone is always surprised when they get run over, but I loose more often than not due to lack of hero/battleline for scenarios that require those units. Even on normal games, i struggle to hold objectives. That said, its still fun to play, just not especially competitive.

• Like 1

For a local tournament I've been working on a list that I think brings the pain in both Daemon and Mortal Flavors:

Allegiance: Khorne 

- Mortal Realm: Aqshy - Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance 

LEADERS 

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (270) - General - Command Trait : Mage Eater - Artefact : Skullshard Mantle 

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210) - Axe 

Bloodsecrator (120) - Banner of Khorne (Artefact) : Banner of Wrath 

Bloodstoker (80) - Artefact : Talisman of Burning Blood 

Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh 

Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy 

UNITS 

5 x Blood Warriors (100) - Goreaxe & Gorefist 

10 x Bloodreavers (70) - Reaver Blades 

10 x Bloodreavers (70) - Reaver Blades 

1 x Khorgoraths (100) 

1 x Khorgoraths (100) 

5 x Skullreapers (180) - Goreslick Blades 

5 x Skullreapers (180) - Goreslick Blades 

BATTALIONS 

Gore Pilgrims (140) 

Skulltake (140) 

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS 

Hexgorger Skulls (40) 

My intent is to have the Daemon Prince and Bloodthirster have at least one or two really good rounds of Leave None Alive hijinks while the mass of Khorgoraths and Skullreapers advance on something weak to pour their extra hits (Bloodsecrator range) and potential extra damage (Bloodstoker in Skulltake) onto. But I know that two battalions really eat up points; and the 480 points of Daemon Heroes make me run the battalions at the bare minimum, even though I think they'll be worth it if they can look like The Problem while the Mortals maneuver into place.

6 hours ago, 123lac said:

Are Chaos Knights with mark of khorne worth taking in a Bloodbound focused list? Perhaps to accompany the Lord on Karkadrak?

I've found them to be solid if you also include a warshrine since you can get off the undivided prayer very consistently when you're near the altar. They also need a bloodstoker if you're taking 10 at a time because the big unit is extremely difficult to maneuver without him. 

24 minutes ago, Blood Priest said:

If I'm running a mortals list, are there any go-to daemons you'd recommend getting for summoning with blood tithe points?

I usually bring 10 Bloodletters with me for summoning, in case I need a bodyguard for a hero or extra bodies to win an objective.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

minimum I would say you want to bring for summoning

20 Bloodletters (flood an objective)

10 Fleshhounds (can re roll charges if you have to get somewhere post summon)

bloodthirsters all would be best but wrath and rage as priority

How likely are you to get to 8 blood tithe for a Bloodthirster in a 2000 point game? I had considered using lots of minimum size Blood Reavers as screens and such but I'm totally new and honestly don't know how high the tithe tends to get.

Think @Reuben Parker covered the basics very well.  Only thing I’d really add is because you can’t “Save” Blood Tithe it is worth considering what covers each summoning “tier”.

Bloodletters are your most diverse at 2,4,6 & 7 and with 20x you’ve covered your bases there (assuming a single summons)

Bloodthirsters great if you’re “maxxed out” (8+)  By the time you can summon one though it’s usually going to be late in the game so if you’re only taking one with you (not unreasonable given their $$$ cost) think about which one is going to be most helpful at that stage.

Flesh Hounds are at 3 and 6 and again, 10x covers you there

Your missing number then is 5 which is either Bloodcrushers or Skullcannon.  Given the general lack of a Shooting the latter might confound your opponent’s initial strategy if all of a sudden you can pick off some back line support Heroes.

...of course this only matters if you’ll feel regret at “wasting” blood tithe.  In general best to focus on your in game needs, with patience if possible.

On that a final note, since you’re Summoning at end of Movement Phase worth taking that into account as regards some of your Hero Phase abilities.  It might look like a waste Blood Boiling the last model or two of a unit instead of going after a higher value target but if it gets you the extra Blood Tithe to get you the most helpful summons (e.g. it’s a pretty big upgrade imo to go from the 5 letters to the 5 Flesh Hounds).

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Blood Priest said:

How likely are you to get to 8 blood tithe for a Bloodthirster in a 2000 point game? I had considered using lots of minimum size Blood Reavers as screens and such but I'm totally new and honestly don't know how high the tithe tends to get.

It's pretty rare unless you're specifically trying for it, and typically at that stage of a game it's unlikely that the bloodthirster is going to change much. With 8+ units destroyed either you're losing hard or winning hard already. Typically you want to be using abilities rather than summoning since they're pretty crucial, the free move has won me more games than anything else on the table. 

I'd suggest bloodletters as a minimum though since the bodies can come in handy. After that flesh hounds are pretty good and I've wished I had bloodcrushers at least once. If you do get a thirster then the wrath of khorne is probably the best summon because of the flail, but he's also probably the worst to actually have in an army from the start so there's that to consider. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

With 8+ units destroyed either you're losing hard or winning hard already

Haha.  YUP!  Both times I’ve managed to summon a Bloodthirster it was an act of desperation when I was down pretty bad.

And on abilities or the other side of the Blood Tithe table handed my Khorne Mortals over to a friend a couple weekends ago for a narrative game.  He used the auto unbind three rounds in a row to stop my Butcher’s Voracious Maw from going off.  Given its damage potential that was big.

So absolutely focus more on what the ebbs and flows of the game give you then getting locked in at the beginning of the game on summoning X or Y.  (Especially if that X or Y costs 8 Bloodtithe...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of a Khorne Mortals.  In their half of the narrative the Sylvaneth have managed to split their army in two. Can they come back together and crush them into splinters?  And of course how many more Skulls will they add to the Skull Throne as part of Bel’akor’s bet?

4149DD39-19F4-41C4-94F4-DE93B963B6A0.jpeg

684B682F-E0ED-406E-B5B6-F052BD80FA18.jpeg

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3