AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, Vonzki said:

Have anyone of you guys had any success running new Be'lakor in Khorne list?
I actually really like what that model provides. Pretty tanky and choppy, great ability and is a mage (kind of weird for Khorne).

Would a list like this make any sense?

The concept of using Belakor is fine. He doesnt synergise with the rest of the army but he does his own thing so it can work. However if you try to cast a spell he will be effected by the skull altar, bloodsecrator and/or hexgorger skulls so be mindful that he is out of range of those or dont bother casting. 

Also note that when taking a Slaugherhost (Goretide in your case) you have to take the command trait and artifact from that host. So your General must take Hew the Foe and the first artifact you take on a hero must be Thronebreakers Torc. As you have a battalion you can then take a 2nd artifact from the tables such as Talisman of Burning Blood.

Also the Banners of Khorne count as an artifact so the bloodsecrator cant have one of those and an artifact, its one or other. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

The concept of using Belakor is fine. He doesnt synergise with the rest of the army but he does his own thing so it can work. However if you try to cast a spell he will be effected by the skull altar, bloodsecrator and/or hexgorger skulls so be mindful that he is out of range of those or dont bother casting. 

Also note that when taking a Slaugherhost (Goretide in your case) you have to take the command trait and artifact from that host. So your General must take Hew the Foe and the first artifact you take on a hero must be Thronebreakers Torc. As you have a battalion you can then take a 2nd artifact from the tables such as Talisman of Burning Blood.

Also the Banners of Khorne count as an artifact so the bloodsecrator cant have one of those and an artifact, its one or other. 

That's good to know, thanks!

On 5/18/2021 at 6:27 PM, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide

Leaders
Doombull of Khorne (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe  
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc  
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Blood-forged Armour  

Battleline
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Units
6 x Bullgors of Khorne (280)
3 x Bullgors of Khorne (140)
3 x Bullgors of Khorne (140)
1 x Tuskgor Chariots of Khorne (60)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Brass Despoilers (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 154

Order Up!  The Khorne Beast Brisket is ready for the Mawtribes party on table 1…

Got the match in against a Boulderhead list built fully around Eurlbad and Butcher’s Band Battalions in Force the Hand.  The theory behind the list was fine but in practice it ran head first into Khorne’s unfortunate habit of wasting Blood Tithe (hope this gets an easy fix in 3.0…).

Tuskgor Chariots fine for Board Control & Blood Tithe.  Went first.  Battleplan forces deep deployment so my first turn was basically running everything in my army onto an objective.  Was able to get one of my Tuskgor Chariots onto the open middle objective in my opponent’s territory.  Otherwise used them to plug gaps in terrain and screen objectives as best as possible.

Should’ve Popped Martial Ferocity First Turn.  The hope had been to use it turn 2 but given that I did assume Tuskgors would go down early and the risk of a double turn (which became a reality) meant should’ve just used it when I knew it would have maximum effect.

Too Cute Positioning Flesh Hounds in South. I thought I was being sneaky lining up a unit of 5x Flesh Hounds behind one of my chariots such that a charge and pile-in to it would activate them, allowing them all to pile-into the gap as the Tuskgor evaporated.  But my opponent rolled a good charge, allowing one Mournfang to get past the Chariot and into the Flesh Hounds.  They then rolled hot for Eurlbad MWs and just overall such that one Mournfang wiped the whole 7nit before it got a chance to attack.  This was too early to lose the unit and certainly while I’d recognized Tuskgors might not do much I had been counting on them at least going down swinging.

Double Turn = Too Much Blood Tithe. One thing I like about this list is I was relatively okay with a go first & get double turned scenario as it would almost guarantee I get a R2 Bloodthirster summons.  The problem was that I ended up with 10 Blood Tithe instead of just the 8 I needed when it got back to my turn in R2.  Those 2 wasted tithe hurt me in R3 as while I had a pretty successful counterpunch in my second turn and held out against my opponent again winning the priority in R3 I came up 2 Tithe short in R3 of summoning a second Bloodthirster.  As I couldn’t afford to wait for R4 had to settle for 10x Flesh Hounds.  When they failed their charge and the rest of the survivors didn’t do enough work it was easy to see there was no longer a path to victory for me and I conceded.

Conclusions?  The list was a lot of fun and really let me lean into the Khorne cares not aspect of the faction with a core of Tuskgors who are really there to be bloody speed bumps.  That said, lining up the waves (especially to handle a potential double turn) is a bit tricky (at least in this battleplan).  This battleplan also made it too easy for my opponent to ignore my block of 6x super buffed Bullgors.  Enough potential here to try it again.

DEB2726F-2615-4B86-9727-3CF20F104B4C.jpeg.053d684bd07ed54a96f37532fe540f01.jpeg2D0B5B41-46F1-45DE-BF06-7B72A764A89A.jpeg.eb8053273737791a86a7bf3b0215176f.jpegA07F6464-4D02-47F6-9599-0728CBEA5110.jpeg.e5e93c5bc091f3636615c439525b64e8.jpeg33A5C360-BDBF-4599-B0BD-CC87DA424C08.jpeg.f7d51f33116d4e3fd9aaf5732d1425c0.jpeg9A515728-7C74-4F08-B057-09FDCEDFA053.jpeg.62b01a4dc7bcf564648ffa53421dfce3.jpegA7F794C6-47BF-4367-9F7E-5257318FB451.jpeg.e9a69cae134814075142fbc89f545be3.jpeg

• Like 5

When the Bonesplitterz player unexpectedly bailed last night ended up running Khorne Beast Briskt list again, this time against Nurgle.  Set up was still Force the Hand.  It is fair to say I experienced diminishing results against an opponent who just wasn’t making mistakes and with some of the coldest rolling I’ve had in a long-time.

Simple example of my cold rolling?  Gutrot is a 7W model.  Yes, he has a 3+ save but he was outside of the Harbringer’s buff to gain the FNP and while his Saves made it harder the basic problem was I just couldn’t force many save rolls.  My Wrathmongers got off 20x attacks.  At a 4+ I’m expecting +/- 10 Hits.  Got 5… only 3 of which wounded, and 2 of those unsurprisingly saved even with the Rend.  So I got 1 Damage.  I then sent my Bloodsecrator and 3x Slaughterpriests into Gutrot.  At the end, Gutrot still standing.

Happens.  Just happened a lot.  Had Bullgor units completely whiff.  Again, happens.  Unfortunately my Saves were no better.  Had my unit of 6x Bullgors w/Shields, Bronzed Flesh and All Out Defense.  Didn’t matter when the PBKs smashed into them.

Sometimes you roll cold.  Part of the game.  Some lists allow you to whether a round or two of this and still leave you in a position to come back in later rounds when the law of averages tends to see things even out.  As fun a list as it is though Khorne Beasts Brisket just isn’t one of those lists.  The “Mathhammer” for this lists damage potential isn’t great to begin with so any period where you’re doing below expectations is going to be very difficult to make up.

Setting aside the poor rolls though I was much happier with how I managed my positioning.  The waves worked much better and by sticking a Tuskgor at each end of a strung out group of 10x PBKs kept them pinned down for several turns when he couldn’t pile more than 1 model into either while maintaining coherency as long as got something in the middle as well.  Fleshhounds managed a similar trick with the Slime Fleet PBKs that came in behind my lines.

Unfortunately with blocks of PBKs in front and behind my opponent again was able to pin my big block of buffed Bullgors on the objective until they chose to engage, further limiting my army’s punch.  That and again, swinging from having too little Blood Tithe to do anything in my second turn to having way too much Blood Tithe in my third turn, when VP wise things were already out of hand.

Still think this is a fun army with some potential but need to figure out if these issues can be overcome when the dice rolls are a little more average?

8CAD9BB4-F19E-4B55-B307-CC24FCA7AA9B.jpeg.325ba4fb21ccaf0770b12bfc0163658f.jpegED56738D-D77D-44AD-84D8-ABE5FA387C31.jpeg.567bc3f2fb9f38b37fda2b7511f37576.jpeg9D869B31-EB4C-4325-9185-94AFADCAAF01.jpeg.e64d18132c68b78d96a39bba39f42f4a.jpegDB061689-A919-4073-80D2-E2B3EE7F0D1E.jpeg.ad89c656ce7431731657251c406e946c.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice write up and army.

I see you tried to summon a Bloodthirster as a tactic. It’s usually a bit of a trap - wasted tithe, missed value in the start of the tithe table, thirster on his own is a bit meh and easily shot off. 

The early part of the table is very good value, being able to move or attack out of sequence is great. There is good value in early summons eg 5 blood thirsters is technically 1 tithe point as you will get 1 back when they die. Flesh hounds are a great summon and blood crushers a good roadblock.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Nice write up and army.

I see you tried to summon a Bloodthirster as a tactic. It’s usually a bit of a trap - wasted tithe, missed value in the start of the tithe table, thirster on his own is a bit meh and easily shot off. 

The early part of the table is very good value, being able to move or attack out of sequence is great. There is good value in early summons eg 5 blood thirsters is technically 1 tithe point as you will get 1 back when they die. Flesh hounds are a great summon and blood crushers a good roadblock.

I'll offer a bit of an alternative take on this.  I don't disagree that the lower parts of the table are overall better.  However, before the meta changed and my BTs were getting shot off the board, my Tyrants list often saw Blood Tithe at Round 2 to be around 2 and then at the start of Round 3 to be 8 or more.  I often didn't want to "waste" it, so I summoned BTs a lot.  I concede that I don't think the tactic would work as well anymore.

Unless Tithe changes significantly as a mechanic in 3.0, add me to the list of people who would love to see our extra points not go away when we spend tithe.  That alone would add significantly to our tactical options.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, drkrash said:

I'll offer a bit of an alternative take on this.  I don't disagree that the lower parts of the table are overall better.  However, before the meta changed and my BTs were getting shot off the board, my Tyrants list often saw Blood Tithe at Round 2 to be around 2 and then at the start of Round 3 to be 8 or more.  I often didn't want to "waste" it, so I summoned BTs a lot.  I concede that I don't think the tactic would work as well anymore.

Unless Tithe changes significantly as a mechanic in 3.0, add me to the list of people who would love to see our extra points not go away when we spend tithe.  That alone would add significantly to our tactical options.

I’m on the list of wanting extra tithe to stay too. It does hurt to see it go, so I am of the mind set to spend it as opposed to saving up. However I play a mortal list.

Summoning a thirster into a thirster list will work as you have the synergies in place. But in a non thirster list it’s awkward as there isn’t much to really make it shine. I play mortals and it’s rare I will summon a thirster I also try to close my eyes when I remove this unspent tithe.

It’s for that reason that I always bring a priest with sacrifice to bump my tithe up a point or two so I can increase the options of what I spend it on that gives me good utility. There are some good targets for sacrifice eg Riptooth gets yiu. 2-3 tithe, any unit on 1 wound is a clear target to get 2 points also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Praecautus said:

There was a true “curiosity” aspect to building this list.  I love the Bloodthirster model and as such regularly ran Tyrants but found it a very frustrating experience as they just aren’t robust enough to hang around while still costing enough to mean you had very limited options in the rest of your list.  At the same time, as noted in a previous post in other Khorne lists I’d struggled trying to lean into the Khorne Cares Not aspect of list building.  Khorne might not care but gosh darn it in most cases I did and I had to because too many units had functions that I couldn’t blithely set aside to generate Tithe.  

It was always this combination that made Bloodthirster summoning feel like a trap.  They cost so much that if you have to “save up” for them you’re in trouble.  When I started looking at a crazy Tuskgor list (again, wish I had a 6th…) though I thought I’d found a potentially fun workaround.  Tuskgor movement served a real function in early round board control, something I’d struggled with in my Mortals lists, but I only needed that for a round or two and I felt they were fairly priced for that role.  

Aside from Khorne Beast Brisket then the other name I considered was Hey Big (Tithe) Spender.  Ideally I’d be summoning Thirsters in R2 and R3/4 and be able to pick out charges where they’d be most effective.

1 hour ago, drkrash said:

I don't disagree that the lower parts of the table are overall better.  However, before the meta changed and my BTs were getting shot off the board, my Tyrants list often saw Blood Tithe at Round 2 to be around 2 and then at the start of Round 3 to be 8 or more.  I often didn't want to "waste" it, so I summoned BTs a lot.  I concede that I don't think the tactic would work as well anymore.

But unit has been exactly that waste element that kills this theory.  In first game got the R2 summons but had to waste 2 Tithe.  In second game was way short of a Thirster in R2 but then had almost twice as much as I needed in R3.  Without the ability to Bank Blood Tithe this concept of preventing my beloved Bloodthirsters from being shot off table before they cab do anything or being one hit wonders that evaporate as soon as my opponent counterpunches, just doesn’t come into practice.

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

Summoning a thirster into a thirster list will work as you have the synergies in place. But in a non thirster list it’s awkward as there isn’t much to really make it shine. I play mortals and it’s rare I will summon a thirster I also try to close my eyes when I remove this unspent tithe.

Given this I was pretty centered on summoning Rage, who I feel needs the least buffing but who when positioned right can absolutely dole out game changing damage.  Ideally the hope had been to combo him with the Bloodsecrator and Wrathmongers but there the theory also struggled as they have been kept pinned to the 6x Bullgors too much.

So I think it is fair to say I haven’t solved the Bloodthirster Summons Trap with Khorne Beast Brisket but if BoC still viable in 3.0 and Tithe banks then it is closer.

• Like 3

Definitely seemed to linger more on the Khornate symbols and artwork... Well we didn't get anything in the broken realms book, I'd like to imagine that means that we'll be one of the first ones to get an updated book in the new edition. Don't know if that should make us happy or not, but I'm looking forward to see how this all goes.

Edited by Grimrock

I noticed it as well, but in the context of the voice-over, it was referring to the beginning of the Age of Sigmar, when Khorne was the Big Bad.  I didn't take it as a hint of a comeback.  On the contrary, I see no place at all for Khorne in the near future in the way the narrative is shaping up. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, drkrash said:

I noticed it as well, but in the context of the voice-over, it was referring to the beginning of the Age of Sigmar, when Khorne was the Big Bad.  I didn't take it as a hint of a comeback.  On the contrary, I see no place at all for Khorne in the near future in the way the narrative is shaping up. 

Well, narrative can change quite drastically as we have seen witrh BR Kragnos. A new entity appears, is OP and gathers the whole destruction álliance for an assault and then gets banished within minutes. The same way Khorne could appear 2 weeks after the new set drops, get some love, and evaporate for the next 12 months. It is quite hard to tell exactly what will happen in the narrative as not all breadcrumbs we get dropped by the writers lead to releases and vice versa we have several storypoints that appeared out of nowwhere

• Like 1

An entire Khorgorath army, with them as battleline if (some unit here) was general would be excellent!  Sort of like OBR, but blood constructs instead of bones, but also with skulls, which are the best bones for the best god.

I run Beasts of Khorne, but am sorely hating Gors.  With Brass Despoilers they fit in as super cheap battleline of course, and make for cheap Tithe points.  But seeing that army above, me thinks at least 15 Flesh Hounds might be the new ticket.  I like their unbinding ability, and they can actually do something in combat, at least more than Gors ever will.  

Seems like Karanak would be good to have too, as he can get a free unit of Hounds if he makes it to his quarry.

Not sure I want to keep running Beasts of Chaos, just haven't liked how they play, and I hate running hordes of crappy little guys.  Of course who knows if I'll still be able to use my Bullgors in Khorne in v3.0 if tome battalions go extinct?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Skarband said:

Hi guyz i need help with full mounted khorne army my core is 18 skullcrushers and lord i need some sceen and some hammer 

Hmmm, for fully mounted cheapo screens, maybe Marauder Horsemen?   Not that cheap actually but they're on horses!  Or you could mount some bloodletter torsos on chaos hound bodies for Flesh Hounds but they'd be like pseudo daemonic centaurs, which would at least look mounted.  Or just ally in some Chaos Hounds, which while not mounted, are fast to keep up and function as screens, and cheap.  Cenitgors as allies maybe but the models are expensive.

For the hammer, because sadly Skullcrushers are for some reason not hammers but mere anvils, how about a unit of 6 Varanguard?  With Daemonforged Blades they do MW on 6s to hit, and can attack a 2nd time in combat once per game.  And of course with Blood Tithe, they could do it again, and again!  Pretty tanky themselves too with a 3+ save.  And might as well toss in a foot Chaos Lord to make them attack twice, or thrice?  Not sure if 3x is possible, but would save some Blood Tithe for other things.

Can't think of other cavalry hammers actually.

With 18 Skullcrushers, hard to fit in too much after Varanguards.  You'll most likely want at least 1 Slaughterpriest, and probably a Bloodsecrator; a Bloodstoker would be good too.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:35 AM, Charleston said:

Well, narrative can change quite drastically as we have seen witrh BR Kragnos. A new entity appears, is OP and gathers the whole destruction álliance for an assault and then gets banished within minutes. The same way Khorne could appear 2 weeks after the new set drops, get some love, and evaporate for the next 12 months. It is quite hard to tell exactly what will happen in the narrative as not all breadcrumbs we get dropped by the writers lead to releases and vice versa we have several storypoints that appeared out of nowwhere

I'd had hope after BR: Morathi that the whole Slaanesh Newborn thing would rouse the armies of Khorne to play a role in the narrative. Then again, the whole Slaanesh thing has taken a backseat too, so maybe when it comes up again, Khorne will have something to say about it.

16 hours ago, Skarband said:

Hi guyz i need help with full mounted khorne army my core is 18 skullcrushers and lord i need some sceen and some hammer 

I've become quite fond of the CHaos Lord on Karkadrak and the Chaos Knights/ With the lances the chaos knights are -2 rend 2 damage on the charge. The Chaos Lord has decent damage with multiple weapons, and Hew the Foe command trait (in Goretide) and Gorecleaver artefact can make his axe do 6 damage a hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zamik said:

I've become quite fond of the CHaos Lord on Karkadrak and the Chaos Knights/ With the lances the chaos knights are -2 rend 2 damage on the charge. The Chaos Lord has decent damage with multiple weapons, and Hew the Foe command trait (in Goretide) and Gorecleaver artefact can make his axe do 6 damage a hit.

Oops, duh!  Yeah, that's a great mounted set of doom.  And a Bloodstoker to get those knights in there for sure.  I'm almost leaning towards reforming my Khorne army to be more Slaves to Darkness for double tome duty in case I want to Despoil sometimes.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Oops, duh!  Yeah, that's a great mounted set of doom.  And a Bloodstoker to get those knights in there for sure.  I'm almost leaning towards reforming my Khorne army to be more Slaves to Darkness for double tome duty in case I want to Despoil sometimes.

I'm definitely looking that way myself! I made a little 1000 points Despoilers list with the StD SC Box, a daemon prince, and some warcry warbands, and it sounded like a lot of fun to play.

• Like 1