AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I've finally taking to painting my Daemon prince of Khorne, as I really like the model and in smaller games he gets to be the general. A Dp with a command trait and artefact can be quite killy, I'm going to try Immense power and Mark of the slayer for some upped damage potential, plus he also buffs nearby units then too.  But he's probably far from a good choice in a competetive meta. But I like him xD

I'm also rebasing my entire army to match the realm of metal, Chamon. 

20180805_182812.jpg

20180806_092525.jpg

Edited by Mikeymajq

Played night haunt twice at the weekend, won both due to opponent conceeding. Enemy was mixed units, basically one of everything + the 3 special characters. I had gorepilgrims + skarr/JMLoK/20bloodletters/10reapers. I took skarr to die and drop into objectives and JMLoK General instead of a stoker cuz profit. I had rune, re roll charges, +1 to run/charge.

1st game was focal points, I deployed forward with strong middle and reapers on right, minimal holding home objectives. The idea was to pierce the middle with the Lord and warriors while the reapers swung round from the right. They were matched against characters and 20 rasps, went well and had a bit of luck with black coach failing a 3 charge. Buffed I managed to kill all three characters in a round, so we re-racked.

2nd game was total commitment, again I had thought ahead and chose a refused flank tactic. On my right was the letters, priest, skarr. Everything else on the left, he deployed 20 rasps  and kurdoss, everything on the opposite and two dread blades/10 revenants in the middle. I pushed heavy for his objective while my letters held back, skarr went for the rasps as he could take them down turn by turn and the letters would follow up late game leaving the priest to hold. To counter this the revenants killed skarr and moved on to the letters, I used tithe to charge in his phase unaware  they can retreat and charge, the bloodletters still won after being buffed by the priest. On the other flank I chewed through his units, the reapers bearing the brunt of magic/veil managed to get 10 letters summonded to support the last of the reapers and JMLoK. At the back the dread blades materialised near the secrator, I had planned for this after nearly being caught out in the first game and held back 2 reaver units, skarr also made an appearance to help.

I would say my initial impression is night haunt are similar to BoK, a lot of combat, minimal range and several key buffing units. After the games talked with my opponent, he's probably going to drop 2 of the special chars, add some chaff and get more of the Killy units. 

Im happy with my army at the moment, still painting new stuff to add. Currently working on horsemen, more reavers and finished my third objective.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Skarbrand (400)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: Collar of Khorne
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (120)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike

Battleline
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives

Units
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (200)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

This is the list I will be practicing with for the next 10-15 games. I want to see how well I can command and manipulate SKARBRAND and keep him in the game for as long as possible. I'm going to be practicing screening, good positioning and trying to keep his insensate uptime as much as possible. Strategies I've thought of include Resanguination to use his HP as a "resource", like any hero which uses HP instead of mana in a game like League of Legends (Tryndamere or Vladimir), using Crimson Rain, using Murderlust after sitting him out for a round of combat to get him very angry, using Apoplectic Frenzy if he's very wounded to get a hero phase fight in to hopefully maximize damage, and trying to keep him safe and healed up, but also balancing being angry and dealing damage.

I've considered also perhaps forgoing Blood Sacrifice in favor on Bronze Flesh getting him to a 3+ save, as hurting him on purpose may just be helping out the enemy, because of course they'll focus fire him. Maybe this list will be effective against Nagash, or death in general. Perhaps I can just push out so much damage they can't recuperate. It's probably a terrible idea, and SKARBRAND probably isn't competitive, but I'll practice what I can and tell you the results.

I'll be getting him tomorrow and assembling as quickly as I can.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

I love Skarbrand so I salute any list featuring him! He's rather squishy so screening is super important. And I think you're right to have resanguination and bronzed flesh to make him stay on the table. 

I like him for his lore, and for his model and his rules look pretty fun: plus sometimes it’s just plain old cool to have a huge center piece of the board instead of tons of tiny boys. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

I love Skarbrand so I salute any list featuring him! He's rather squishy so screening is super important. And I think you're right to have resanguination and bronzed flesh to make him stay on the table. 

That's very true - though for fluff reasons alone I find it hard not to give all my priests Killing Frenzy.  Seems more of a Khorne thing to do.  All Offense. And who doesn't like reapers AND letters mortal wounding on 4's or 5's......

Same, I pretty much bought him based on the model and lore. 
Killing frenzy is such a good prayer, I recently started using Chaos Knights too and they also benefit a lot from it, altough they don't procc on 6+, but their glaives only hit on 4+ but deals tons of damage on the charge. 

Speaking of something completely different. I'm going to run the Skullgrinder in my lists more, because like Skarbrand I love the model.
But what artefact would make him better? So far I've gone ahead and given him the Mark of the destroyer (the x2 attacks but mess up and spawndom awaits!) But that only bumps him up by another 2 attacks. Is Gorecleaver the answer? It feels like it is in too many cases xD

Also I'm going to try out the Bloodforged battalion, I think it would fit really well with the Chamon theme I'm going for. Has anyone used it? What's the general opinion? 

Also I'm going to try out the Bloodforged battalion, I think it would fit really well with the Chamon theme I'm going for. Has anyone used it? What's the general opinion? 

I keep toying with wrathforged, but my local meta plays @ 1750, so after 2x10 blood warriors and 2x5 wrathmongers, plus mlok and bloodsecrator, the list feels a little thin on the ground and slow.

It may be easier at 2k with the extra 250points of wiggle room.

• Like 1

I use it fairly often since I really like blood warriors and wrathmongers. 

It gives a nice defensive boost and making enemies attack themselves is great when I remember to do it. 

It doesn't have as big of an impact as something like gore pilgrims but since I tend to use 3x10 bloodwarriors and 2x5 wrathmongers anyway I use it to add both survivability and damage.

Also it is hilarious when your opponents last model kills itself in anger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, medivouk said:

I keep toying with wrathforged, but my local meta plays @ 1750, so after 2x10 blood warriors and 2x5 wrathmongers, plus mlok and bloodsecrator, the list feels a little thin on the ground and slow.

It may be easier at 2k with the extra 250points of wiggle room.

Yeah, it isn't quite as expensive for the battalion, but the models it require sure makes up for that xD

Still it feels very fitting for an army from the Realm of metal so I think I will try it out once we start getting to 2k games. Right now everyone's sort of in a "play it painted" mode so we've done a lot of 1k-1250 pts matches again. 

So i have a question that I've got different feedback from and i wondering if someone could let me know the correct interpretation of the blessings from the Slaughter Priest.

In the Blades of Khorne book it says the priest can use one of the prayers "in addition the other prayer".... is this to mean that its there as another option, or does he actually get another prayer per turn.

Basically is the Priest getting 1 or potential 2 prayers per turn when he uses one from the list in the book?

1 hour ago, Oreaper84 said:

So i have a question that I've got different feedback from and i wondering if someone could let me know the correct interpretation of the blessings from the Slaughter Priest.

In the Blades of Khorne book it says the priest can use one of the prayers "in addition the other prayer".... is this to mean that its there as another option, or does he actually get another prayer per turn.

Basically is the Priest getting 1 or potential 2 prayers per turn when he uses one from the list in the book?

The priest gets to cast a Blood Blessing and a Bloodfueled Prayer.

Blood Blessings are only available when in a KHORNE Allegiance Army.

Bloodfueled Prayers are always available.

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The priest gets to cast a Blood Blessing and a Bloodfueled Prayer.

Blood Blessings are only available when in a KHORNE Allegiance Army.

Bloodfueled Prayers are always available.

Awesome thats what i thought, had some argue the wording of it in the book and i wanted to have another opinion on the matter.

1 hour ago, Oreaper84 said:

Awesome thats what i thought, had some argue the wording of it in the book and i wanted to have another opinion on the matter.

Yeah, I had the same question multiple pages back! :) 

The key piece is the wording in bold:

“KHORNE PRIESTS can attempt to bestow their blood blessing in each of your hero phases in addition to any prayers they may know.” P.85 Battletome: Blades of Khorne

Basically it’s two separate abilities, and they only get to use one of each.

The Gore Pilgrims Battalion even specifically delineates that they are different, by calling them out as two separate items, instead of attempting to reference them as a form of “prayers”:

“Acolytes of Khorne: [...] You can choose to re-roll the dice when attempting a Bloodfuelled Prayer or Blood Blessing of Khorne with a SLAUGHTERPRIEST from the Gore Pilgrims.”

21 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Yeah, I had the same question multiple pages back! :) 

The key piece is the wording in bold:

“KHORNE PRIESTS can attempt to bestow their blood blessing in each of your hero phases in addition to any prayers they may know.” P.85 Battletome: Blades of Khorne

Basically it’s two separate abilities, and they only get to use one of each.

The Gore Pilgrims Battalion even specifically delineates that they are different, by calling them out as two separate items, instead of attempting to reference them as a form of “prayers”:

“Acolytes of Khorne: [...] You can choose to re-roll the dice when attempting a Bloodfuelled Prayer or Blood Blessing of Khorne with a SLAUGHTERPRIEST from the Gore Pilgrims.”

Does the or mean you can either re-roll a prayer per priest OR a blessing or is it basically differentiating depending on what you’re doing. 

Basically I use blood bind, fail, re-roll. Then can I Killing Frenzy, fail, and re-roll or does the or wording prevent this? 

2 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I've always played it as re-roll all failed blessings and/or prayers. After all the battalion is 200 points!

Same, but I want to be as accurate as possible. It reads like you can re-roll whatever task you are currently trying to execute so the or is all inclusive. 

1 hour ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

I read is as being able to do both.

Along the same lines of the faq on the bloodstoker to being able to give both +3 run and' +3 charge in the same turn even though the wording is 'or'

Right, basically “if You are casting a prayer you may re-roll failed prayers, or if you are attempting to cast a blessing you may re-roll failed blessings.” Because technically you can’t do both simultaneously. Just right after the other.