AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, JDLIII said:

It didn’t allow me to edit post but I forgot to add Aspiring Deathbringer. I’d bring the 10 Flesh Hounds to a 5 and add the aspiring deathbringer. Also I wouldn’t use Skullfiend Slaughterhost

Relatively new to a Khorne myself but believe you’re still short on one of your battalion requirements:

Blood Hunt (120 pts)

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (300 pts)

Karanak (140 pts)

Minimum 3 Units of Flesh Hounds (@100 pts each)

Blood Mad Warband (160 pts)

Aspiring Deathbringer (80 pts)

Bloodsecrator (120 pts)

3 Units of Blood Warriors (@100 pts each)

Minimum 1 Unit of Bloodreavers (70 pts)

1 Unit of Skullreapers (180 pts)

which I believe takes you to 1770 pts total.  You’ve clearly met your battleline requirements but you’re going to need to make some choices with the rest of the list as far as the Slaughterpriests and Judgements.  If this is really the way you want to go I’d go for the two Slaughterpriests and drop the Judgements (reminder you’ll need to take at least one Slaughterpriest if you’re going to take any Judgements).

And agree you’d probably want to go Reapers instead of Skullfiend with this list.

Personally, not sure I’d go with Blood Mad Warband for a mixed list given the number of units it requires and that the bonus only comes on the charge.  There are a lot easier ways to add an attack than this with Khorne.

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer

I'd trade out the bloodmad warband for gore pilgrims. much cheaper and overall provides a better buff. I'd also look at if Blood Hunt is really worth it. I've used Karanak in about a dozen or so games and he's only ever pulled his weight once. Hitting on 4s against anything that ISNT his quarry is rough. He just doesn't push out the damage that he really should. 

1 hour ago, HarbingerGaming said:

I'd trade out the bloodmad warband for gore pilgrims. much cheaper and overall provides a better buff. I'd also look at if Blood Hunt is really worth it. I've used Karanak in about a dozen or so games and he's only ever pulled his weight once. Hitting on 4s against anything that ISNT his quarry is rough. He just doesn't push out the damage that he really should. 

I’ve been trying a Blood Hunt + Gore Pilgrims list as an anti-Wizard army with Tzeentch entering my local gaming group.  So far the question of Karanak has been whether he summons the extra unit of Flesh Hounds?  When he has it has been hard to complain about a net 40 points for an unbind that can deal back some damage.  That said you’re right once he gets into it he hasn’t tended to hold up all that well or do much damage so I’ve had to screen him until I can get him into his quarry.

1 hour ago, Lazaris said:

Hi everyone! 

What would you say is our best answer to Nagash in a bonereaper army?

I thought about allying Be'lakor to prevent Nagash from doing anything for 1 turn (or 2), but I'm not sure it would be worth the points.

If he shuts down an 880p model for 2/5 of the game, and adds 2 (although futile) unbind attempts, I think he should be worth the points. If you can fit him.

4 hours ago, JDLIII said:

Thinking it over, I’m wondering if Skulltake + Murderhost would do better and seems fun on paper. I wanna take Skulltaker as the hero for Murderhost.

Can’t speak to Skulltake battalion.  I have run Murderhost with Skulltaker and while the Bloodletters (I could only run minimum size units admittedly) Skulltaker did well for me.  Only issue is be aware as a named character he can’t take an artefact.

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer

1 hour ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Can’t speak to Skulltake battalion.  I have run Murderhost with Skulltaker and while the Bloodletters (I could only run minimum size units admittedly) Skulltaker did well for me.  Only issue is be aware as a named character he can’t take an artefact.

Good to know, thank you.

Hey guys, I've got a question.

I own 3 set of Khorne miniatures from AOS V1, a Khorne FW daemon Prince, 30 bloodletters and that's all., a slaughterpriest. Almost none of it is built and painted.
Is it a good base for a Khorne Army ? Shall I go to the trouble of building and painting those, or is it non playable for tournaments ?

Cheers

56 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Hey guys, I've got a question.

I own 3 set of Khorne miniatures from AOS V1, a Khorne FW daemon Prince, 30 bloodletters and that's all., a slaughterpriest. Almost none of it is built and painted.
Is it a good base for a Khorne Army ? Shall I go to the trouble of building and painting those, or is it non playable for tournaments ?

Cheers

Yes its a solid base, although you definitely have some redundancy. You wont need 3 x bloodsecrators or 3 x Bloodstokers so I would try to convert one of each into a slaughterpriest (havnt seen it done but there will be times where you want 3 x priests and Im sure the conversions could be made to work).

You certainly wont need 3 x mighty lords (personally I've never use one but some people rate him) so you might want to sell 2 of them as there isnt much you can convert it into. 

I would look at either Gore Pilgrims or Dark Feast battalion as a basis for an army list. As for choosing a Slaughterhost, with 3 x Korgoraths you could definitely consider Skullfiend Tribe, otherwise Goretide will work well with so many blood warriors and reavers. 

The Khorne Daemon Prince is awesome due to his command ability and he will buff the Bloodletters if you decide to use them as well. 

For next purchases I would recommend Skullreapers/Wrathmongers, a Bloodthirster & Flesh Hounds. 

As for using at tournaments... anything is playable. How well you do is down to you (and what match ups you get).

Edited by Agent of Chaos
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys. Would appreciate some advice. With all other things being equal:

1. Do you think I'd be better off scrapping one of the Bloodreaver units for a Wrath-Axe?

2. Do you think it's worth making the Chaos Lord and Secrator more vulnerable to MWs in exchange for the Goretide Host and army bonus? 

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Chaos Lord (110)
- General
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- Trait: Berzerker Lord
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
Chaos Warshrine (170)
- Blood Blessing: Brazen Fury
Dark Feast (110)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 190

@Roark Is this a take all comers list or for a specific opponent? i.e. do you know how likely you are to suffer mortal wounds? 

Its not just the artifacts to consider. The reroll wounds of 1 near objectives and command ability from Goretide are both pretty useful.

I've not used the Wraith Axe but with so many bodies already you can probably afford to swap out reavers for it.  Pretty annoying to have 20 points left over though...

4 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Is this a take all comers list or for a specific opponent? i.e. do you know how likely you are to suffer mortal wounds? 

Thinking of taking it to a tourney, but I don't get enough games in to even worry about taking podium. I guess I'm pretty paranoid about losing key support pieces in general.

5 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I've not used the Wraith Axe but with so many bodies already you can probably afford to swap out reavers for it.  Pretty annoying to have 20 points left over though...

Agreed! I'm pretty OCD about it. My main mental argument for the Axe is the reach element.

5 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Its not just the artifacts to consider. The reroll wounds of 1 near objectives and command ability from Goretide are both pretty useful.

Yeah, the command is great. I guess I just see myself pumping those precious CPs into the Chaos Lord for maximum Marauder carnage.

Thanks heaps man. Appreciated.

• Like 1

I've played a couple of tournaments now and I think your opponents will be more concerned with the massive units of marauders and their wrathmonger support. That is the power of your list and most people have wised up to how good buffed up marauders can be. Even your Reavers with the sheer number of rend 1 attacks they can put out are a threat. Therefore your support heroes will probably not attract much attention until the marauders and other threats have been dealt with. 

I here you on the command points but if you do go goretide its a nice option to have if needed and the artifact provides good protection for the bloodsecrator. Given he has two melee weapons the chaos lord benefits nicely from Hew the Foe.

As a thought, this might even be an opportunity to try out the new Flayed Host. The marauders would love the +1 to hit command ability, especially since you havnt taken killing frenzy, and wouldnt hate +1 save if they manage to bring down a hero/monster. Meanwhile the warshine will likely move away from the altar and so might benefit from the reroll 1 for prayers command trait. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

As a thought, this might even be an opportunity to try out the new Flayed Host. The marauders would love the +1 to hit command ability, especially since you havnt taken killing frenzy, and wouldnt hate +1 save if they manage to bring down a hero/monster. Meanwhile the warshine will likely move away from the altar and so might benefit from the reroll 1 for prayers command trait. 

That's a really good point. Funny thing is, I wasn't thinking about Flayed Men at all when I wrote it, but it compliments it rather well. Bloodstoker + awesome Marauder charge may even see me popping the army trait more than occasionally, which the swarms will love.

Ideal combat scenario for me is activating Slaughter Triumphant with everything lined up and a Marauder swarm reasonably intact. The damage is just ridiculous... even against Mortek lines.

Hello khornate generals of the realms!

i was playing a game and had a friend use the hexgorger skulls against my wizards, they claimed that I can’t reroll my 8 to cast to attempt to not suffer the effects even tho I can reroll unsuccessful casting rolls with my wizard. Do the skulls turn off rerolls? I’m also curious if I can use mastery of magic to ignore its effects, but I’m unsure.

i don’t play super magic heavy so it wasnt a big deal, but I’m unsure if the ruling was correct, as it seems a little weird to me (I know of no other rules that prevent rerolls, other then destiny dice which explicitly state that they do)

@TheadTheOgorSlayer tricky question. The Skulls warscroll does not specifically prevent rerolls- it just says that on an unmodified 8 the spell is unsuccessful.

So you would argue that as the spell was unsuccessful, due to the skulls, you can reroll the casting attempt. 

However if the spell would have been successful on an 8 then it could also be argued that your roll was successful and therefore you cant reroll it, and then the skulls kick in to make it fail. 

The Khorne FAQ doesnt cover this scenario. 

Anybody else know how to resolve this?

• Like 1

@TheadTheOgorSlayer

If you can only reroll failed casting rolls and the spell has a casting value of 8 or lower (which I'm fairly certain it does) then you cannot reroll it. Rerolls before modifiers, and the Hexgorger Skulls are an effect that takes place after the casting roll has been made. It is not part of the spell itself. Just like you cant reroll your casting roll after the opponent has unbound it to try and get a higher roll.

If you can reroll ALL casting rolls however, go ahead.

Edited by KoalaSnok
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Roark said:

Hey guys. Would appreciate some advice. With all other things being equal:

1. Do you think I'd be better off scrapping one of the Bloodreaver units for a Wrath-Axe?

2. Do you think it's worth making the Chaos Lord and Secrator more vulnerable to MWs in exchange for the Goretide Host and army bonus?

1. Definitely.

2. Yes. Having a host is always better than not having one.

Not sure how they are more vulnerable. You have a battalion, slap scales on secrator.

Chaos lord has 7 wounds and 6+ negate from shrine, he won't be very easy to snipe with mws.

• Thanks 1

@Roark Hey just curious about your Chaos Warshrine. I used to like it, but after the StD changes, I didn't think it was worth it in a Khorne army any more. I know it still counts as a Totem for reavers, and can still take a prayer since it's a priest, but since it's warscroll abilties only affect Slaves to Darkness mortals; do you think it's worth it in your list just to buff your Marauders/Chaos Lord?

Oh, oops! Forgot to mention: I wouldn't take the Axe. If anything, you'd get more consistent MW output from trying to squeeze in another Slaughterpriest. The only auto-include are the Skulls. Icon can have uses too, if you want to control access to objectives and use it to block. The Axe is super inconsistent though, even with rerolls.

Edited by Sleepa
Forgot to mention something
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, I've been playing Khorne since early November and after about a half-dozen matches, I've settled on this list, but I do have some questions. 

1. Should I A. take different artefacts or B. give the artefacts I currently have to different heroes? This list relies on getting my buffing heroes (Bloodsecrator and Dark Feast Slaughterpriest) up the table without getting them shot/casted off the table so I can maximize my aura radius, but I'm wondering if there is a more efficient/effective way to take artefacts to better do this.

2. Should I cut anything out to add a block of 40 Marauders? I've heard good things about them, but I'm not sure what I would sacrifice to take them. The 6 Skullcrushers seem like a good option, but I've found them to be excellent fast tar pits, especially with Bronzed Flesh.

3. Should I take any Judgements? In my experience the Wrath Axe is inconsistent at best, and I think the Bleeding Icon isn't really worth it, so the only Judgement I think I could take is Hex Gorger Skulls, although to take them I would probably have to cut out a unit of 'reavers, which I'm not sure is worth it.

4. Is there any prayers that I should/shouldn't take? I've considered Brazen Fury to help my Bloodreavers not fold in Battleshock, but with the MSU approach I'm not convinced its useful.

5. Does this list have any major flaws that I'm missing i.e. I'm not taking artefacts I should, I'm not taking a unit/ hero I should etc.? I'm hoping I can play well with this list in small local tournaments, but please tell me if this list is tactically inadequate.

Basically I use the Goretide Command ability to run MSU Bloodreavers all over the table while using the extended range on my Bloodsecrator and the Dark Feast ability to buff my Bloodreavers up to 41 attacks per unit of 10. I've found this establishes good board control and brings speed and damage from where my opponent is least expecting it. If you have any clarifying questions this list or on how I run it on the table feel free to ask. Any advice is appreciated. 

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodstoker (80)
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (160)
- General
- Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (320)
- Ensorcelled Axes

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Daemonblades
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Dark Feast (110)
Gore Pilgrims (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 156

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

1. Definitely.

2. Yes. Having a host is always better than not having one.

Not sure how they are more vulnerable. You have a battalion, slap scales on secrator.

Chaos lord has 7 wounds and 6+ negate from shrine, he won't be very easy to snipe with mws.

Thanks man. Unfortunately I can't do Scales in Goretide because I've found I really need the Thermalrider Cloak on the Lord to keep up with the Marauders and position correctly for the attack twice command.

18 hours ago, Sleepa said:

do you think it's worth it in your list just to buff your Marauders/Chaos Lord?

And Reavers, as you've said. The Warshrine's favour of Undivided is pure gold. I take it mainly for that - to pour buffs into my Marauder swarms obviously. The ward save bubble, blessing and damage 2 attacks are great icing. It's a resilient Priest, so I can always try to keep Judgements on the table. I think it's crazy-good value if you use lots of Slaves.