AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

12 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

I totally get that and that is reasonable. I just wanted to point out that it's still a great army and I cant wait to play it. 

Also, someone just said this but for 120 points Valkia seems awesome. 

I totally agree with you.

So a long time ago I discovered a 40 man unit of marauders is pretty tanky and cheap if you could make it immune to BS. I used to do this with a warshrine and devote them to slaanesh. It could have been easily done with the old Bloodsecrator (So I'm not sure why I never bothered to try it), but it can currently work with an exalted deathbringer.

I'm trying to review options, but this should be a line that would be hard to eat through. Its 40 wounds at 5+ for 200 points. It also has a big footprint. They could hold an objective, or just tarpit a unit to get hammered. IIRC there is nothing more point efficient than them if they are immune to BS.

8 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I'm curious how viable Dragon Ogors are in khorne. They do lose a bit of utility since they can't have a shaggoth near them though.

I don't like dragon ogors. They really need the faction specific artifacts and stuff from BoC and I still don't like them.

HOWEVER, you can't take a marked shaggoth, but you could ally one in... He just wouldn't be marked. I'm still not sold on them.

I really want to look at the BoC formation. Its a big traddeoff because you lose a lot for a +1 to hit buff on a unit, or +1 attack. For example bullgors cannot heal unless they are in a BOC army.

10 minutes ago, kahadin said:

I don't like dragon ogors. They really need the faction specific artifacts and stuff from BoC and I still don't like them.

HOWEVER, you can't take a marked shaggoth, but you could ally one in... He just wouldn't be marked. I'm still not sold on them.

I really want to look at the BoC formation. Its a big traddeoff because you lose a lot for a +1 to hit buff on a unit, or +1 attack. For example bullgors cannot heal unless they are in a BOC army.

To be fair the bullgor healing is pretty situational in the first place. You have to completely destroy an enemy unit to heal D3. I get the feeling some people may even forget that rule, yet not really affect the battle (as opposed to Brayherd Ambush which is very important)

I played a Khorne vs. Khorne game today using the Skulltake batallion, and sorry @Ravinsild but I think we're gonna have to let it go. While it works pretty much the same as before, might even be slightly better, IMO the Slaughterhost is simply a better pick now because the benefits are static -  they don't rely on having a Hero babysitting the entire batallion like Skulltake does. I think any bonus that does not rely on "wholly within" for us now will be gold. I might try Skulltake for 1-2 more games but for now I'm definitely leaning towards Slaughterhost.

The Axe Judgement was pretty brutal btw. Not just the damage but the board control it offers - the base is huge and it definitely impacts your movement planning. I one-shotted my opponents Slaughterpriest with it on turn one :D but he had two...

Edited by Bjornas
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I used Gorecleaver on my Juggerlord and gave the +2A weapon to my nearby Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear, which meant he had 10 attacks while close to the Bloodsecrator. He only hit 4 of them however and died immediately after, but still!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

Yeah bloodcrushers are kind of in a wierd place. [...]

I'm really disappointed that they changed their Murderous Charge AGAIN. They would have been absolutely fine at 140pts with the Wrath and Rapture version of the ability (1d6MW on 2+ vs 10+ models), and it would have given them a specific use and differentiated them nicely from Skullcrushers.

• Like 2

So yesterday went into store to do some painting, saw that the new BoK tome came out (not really played aos alot but interested) and decided to have a 'little' look.

Walked out with a bloodthirster and the book. And a lot of ideas. So hi guys I'm new here to ask about this list.

First idea I had is a cool jugger list (that can be ported to 40k, so I want to stay mainly daemons):

Reapers of vengeance (because fight twice)

Thirster of insensate rage with Ar'gath 280

Wrath of khorne thirster with skullshard mantle 320

Bloodthunder stampede 140

Skullmaster, general, with mage eater 120

9 bloodcrushers 420

6 bloodcrushers 280

6 bloodcrushers 280

That's 1840, enough for a priest and axe.

I really like the bloodcrushers, but 1 attack is meh- when I have no secrator. 

I want a really solid list, good enough for a friendly tournament kind of level, and it just doesn't feel up to scratch. I do want to stay mainly daemons because I'm sitting on world eaters coming out(that influenced my decision, a lot).

Could try for triple thirster with the crown in bloodlords for some strike first shenanigans, that sounds cool.

Cheers for any replies guys.

You could take the Skullcrushers. They cost more points, but have 3A per model, and have a 3+ save. The charge damage they do is pretty much the same like with the Bloodcrushers.

They also have a battalion, but really...you don't need it. That 2+ for the charge damage is not that big of an obstacle. So you could skip the points for the battalion ( exept you really need that additional artefact ) and maybe take another unit with you.

3 hours ago, Bjornas said:

I used Gorecleaver on my Juggerlord and gave the +2A weapon to my nearby Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear, which meant he had 10 attacks while close to the Bloodsecrator. He only hit 4 of them however and died immediately after, but still!

Sorry for quoting myself but I just realized the Spear has 2" range, which means he can actually stand behind another unit and poke the enemy with these attacks. Damn!

1 hour ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Can't use Magore's or Garrek's towards battalions any more unless they change it back. The keyword has to be in bold otherwise its referring to the specific unit. So unless they change Blood Warriors back to bold text no you can't.

Ok, I was hesitant, but Magore’s Fiends do have the Blood Warrior keyword. 

Another weird thing: both Magore’s and Garrek’s have the Goretide keyword by default.

11 minutes ago, Zamik said:

Khorgos Khul is the only other one that has a slaughterhost keyword by default. It’s at least unique.

SCE have the Hammers of Sigmar problem where literally all their characters are part of the Hammers of Sigmar.

I think the reason all the other characters in Khorne aren't part of a particular host is because they aren't tied to any of them fluffwise, and it doesn't seem to be a coincidence that they are also legacy special characters.

• Like 1

Do we have any actual hammers left? I was playing against Ironjawz and my Skullreapers in Skulltake in the Skullfiend Tribe straight up could not kill a Maw-Krusha. 2 units of Brutes and a Maw-Krusha killed my 10 Skullreapers and 5 Wrathmongers... 

I feel like removing the rend from the Skullreapers took all their teeth from them. 

After 2 turns I had my 10 Skullreapers, 1 out of 2 Khorgoraths, 5 Wrathmongers, 8 Blood Warriors and my Mighty Lord of Khorne dead. 

I had 30 Bloodreavers, 2 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodstoker, 1 Aspiring Deathbringer, 1 Bloodsecrator and 2 Blood Warriors left. 

I had killed 7 Brutes and a Maw-Krusha. 

They had roughly 8ish Brutes left, 2 Warchanters and a Weirdknob left. 

Ironjawz are basically a trash tier army at this point aren’t they? If I’m struggling this much (I could have done some things differently for sure, but I mean...) against a truly low tier army what hope can I have against anything remotely competant like Skaven, FEC, DoK, IDK.... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Ironjawz are basically a trash tier army at this point aren’t they? If I’m struggling this much (I could have done some things differently for sure, but I mean...) against a truly low tier army what hope can I have against anything remotely competant like Skaven, FEC, DoK, IDK....

I think Ironjawz are actually decent, except they have little to no defense against mortal wounds and are a bit overcosted.

16 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Do we have any actual hammers left? I was playing against Ironjawz and my Skullreapers in Skulltake in the Skullfiend Tribe straight up could not kill a Maw-Krusha. 2 units of Brutes and a Maw-Krusha killed my 10 Skullreapers and 5 Wrathmongers... 

So your your 500 points of units couldn't kill 800 points worth of guys?

Even factoring in your battalion (which other things besides the Skullreapers benifit from)  your at 640 vs 800 and loss... Whats the issue?

I don't even feel like doing the math on the slain units but it looks like it was close.

Ironjaw is not that trash tier, casual play and top level competitive tournament play are two entirely different worlds. Just cuz some army doesnt win tourneys don't make them trash and just cuz someone builds a tournament winners list doesn't mean their gonna win squat with it. Just sayin'.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I feel like removing the rend from the Skullreapers took all their teeth from them. 

After 2 turns I had my 10 Skullreapers, 1 out of 2 Khorgoraths, 5 Wrathmongers, 8 Blood Warriors and my Mighty Lord of Khorne dead. 

I had 30 Bloodreavers, 2 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodstoker, 1 Aspiring Deathbringer, 1 Bloodsecrator and 2 Blood Warriors left. 

I had killed 7 Brutes and a Maw-Krusha. 

They had roughly 8ish Brutes left, 2 Warchanters and a Weirdknob left. 

I think we need to include a bloodthirster in every army. I play against stormcast and evocators are the most overpowered thing I have to face every time. Having 10 to 15 drop and charge into whatever the player wants with 3/3 doing 2 damage per model then 2 dice per model in unit doing mortal wounds on a 4+ To any unit he chooses within 3”. A block of 10 evocators can smash anything it seems. The only tool I had to put a dent in them was my bloodthirster and slaughterpriest casting blood boil. Anything they charge with a full unit just crumbles.. This was pre the new battle tome using gorepilgrims, 3 priests, WoKBT, stoker, 30 bloodletters, 20 blood warriors, 10 reavers, 5 wrathmongers I believe was my army. Hammers of Sigmar sequidors are such a pain. All my blood warriors. Reavers. Mongers and bloodletters eventually fell to two 10 man units and his heroes using support and whatever buffs, while I was holding objectives. He can just change stances at the beginning of every combat phase. They can re roll failed defensive rolls with Certain buffs. I had so many wounds go through with my fully buffed blood letters and bloodwarriors. And with all those defensive rolls I couldn’t kill anymore than one or two models at a time. And when I killed off a unit he just brought it back with his hammers of Sigmar ability. My bloodthirster, priests and secrator eventually fell while fighting the evocators. I had a blood warrior screen that got obliterated by mortal wounds. He could roll 20 dice after his initial attacks doing MW on a 4+. It’s just devastating... It was a tight game and I lost by 2 command points. But I had essentially nothing left by the end of the game. One lonely bloodthirster I summoned to hold an an objective. But he held the board at that point. Bloodreavers are like papermache. He never put any of his hero’s against my mongers. So they just buffed his units aswell as mine. And I couldn’t get them into the fray because I had so many other units in their way... So yeah I don’t see how with the new battle tome we gained anything to even deal with these kinds of high defensive units like sequidors. The sheer amount of attacks from evocators. The only thing I can see that will be “meta” is straight up tyrants of blood with 3 bloodthirsters and the slaughterhost with halo of blood or reapers vengeance allowing your bloodthirsters to attack first and using command points with leave none alive to pile in and attack twice. The judgements are cool and I’m going to try them out. But I don’t see what other tool we have to do straight up damage besides the bloodthirsters. Skarbrand could do some amazing things. Bloodwarriors with the gorefists are pretty sweet now. The wrathmongers are essentially mini bloodsecrators. The reapers seem decent but don’t compare to evocators at all.. I don’t get why they just shifted the paradigm of power. Now we’re just praying to Khorne to win our battles for us I guess. Instead of straight up fighting to the last breath in mortal combat hand to hand with worthy foes. I guess we will just have a lot of trial and error. 

Edited by Impa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1