AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, Rivener said:

I’ve begun considering some sort of Death Star for Khorne.

The Wrathstar: a 15+ man Bloodforged unit of Wrathmongers. A Warshrine with Killing Frenzy, the standard Bloodsecrator, and add Skarr Bloodwrath. 

Plenty of rerollable 3+ to-hit, and you MIGHT be able to fit them in next to a Bloodstoker. Fight twice, then fight again when they die, then explode for MWs. Battleshock can be mitigated by being Bravery 9 (Skullgrinder 8 +1 for being 10 models)

Thoughts?

I think it’s a fine idea, the main problem being that Wrathmongers are amazingly squishy. In melee that’s not a concern thanks to Skarr, but at range it could be. 

The Skullgrinder is a good choice too since his bravery will help the Wrathmongers 

I’d say such a list is good, if you bring re-rolls, like Bloodstoker, banner of rage on Bloodsecrator or mark of the slayer on a Daemon or Korghos Khul, then it’ll make the death star even more reliable

Most importantly, that army would require a hefty screen, imho, use blood Warriors to screen the Wrathmongers; they are durable and work as great kamikaze units that can take on hordes very well

List I was looking at. Using the offense of the bloodforged, using the defense of the slaughterborn.

Allegiance: Khorne
Realm: Ulgu
Slaughterhost: Goretide

Leaders
Skullgrinder (80)
- General
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer(+2 attacks)
- Trait: Hew the Foe(+1 damage on melee weapon)
Exalted Deathbringer (80)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
- Impaling Spear
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: Goretide Artefact(Ignore modifiers to save)

Battlelines
10 x Blood Warriors (200) [slaughterborn]
- Gorefists
- Goreglaive
- Icon

5 x Blood Warriors (100) [slaughterborn]
- Goreaxes
5 x Blood Warriors (100) [bloodforged]
- Goreaxes

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (160)
- Mark of Khorne
- Prayer: Killing Frenzy

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
5 x Skullreapers (180)
10 x Wrathmongers (280)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Slaughterborn (180)
Bloodforged (120)

Not-Endless Spells: 
Wrath-axe (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra CP: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

Killing Frenzy on the Wrathmongers.
Skullgrinder and Exalted Deathbringer both being super killy. Reapers enjoying Re-roll all failed hits and re-roll 1 to wound near objectives with basically 3+ saves in melee. Kinda 3+ saves in melee for most blood warriors as well. Solid double fighting with killing frenzy and re-roll all failed hits. Warshrine giving 6 + saves after the save. Wrath-Axe to tear a hole to spill into, and debuff them, while we are fully re-rolling. Bloodsecrator for more attacks and countering wizard. Yeah, thought this might be fun.

Edited by That Guy
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Kaz said:

Can confirm. A Slaughterpriest is SWOLE. If you think the Dwayne the Rock Johnson is big, the Slaughterpriest is taller, and even more buff, despite his seemingly lanky appearance. It’s nice that our priests compared to the puny priests of other races are very manly and do very many push ups and thus have MESSIVE pecs. 

Yea I have both models already, I just dislike them (I have a thing against the heavily armoured legs/bare chest/helmet setup in general) and Garrek, holding his hard-won offering, caught my attention as a man of action rather than just a drooling devotee (looking at you, axe-wielding Slaughterpriest). That's the kind of "priests" I imagine Khorne would favour more :)

2 quick questions, one important one and one less important one:

1) Can Bloodreavers/Blood Warriors (32mm) and/or Skullreapers (40mm) bases fight in two rows? They clearly can't fight if they are directly behind the first row, because the base is more than inch, but in between the gaps of the first row, does that create enough space to get 2 rows into combat?

2)I'm getting my book tomorrow, could someone do me a solid and explain the Bronzed Flesh rules?

Thanks in advance for helping out a new Khorne player! 

48 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

2 quick questions

As long as you position them in a way that you can draw a line from the enemy base to your base and it’s 1” you can attack.

bronzed flesh is a prayer that a slaughterpriest can pick as prayer option. If you roll a 4+ with the prayer you can add 1 to the save of the friendly unit you target.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, ChaosUndivided said:

I want to expand on this Goretide slaughterhost + Bloodman warband idea cuz its what i plan on tinkering with first and most. Not because i think its a tournament winner but because for one i got the models and two it looks solid.

I plan on 2x10 Blood Warriors and Magore's. Im not going heavy on these guys cuz their expensive, need a lil babysitting, and i want room for other stuff.

Next im taking at least 1 unit of 10 Reavers for look out sir and to blood sacrifice with a Slaughter Priest. I might take another 20 man Reaver squad to act as a tarpit, the idea here is an early run + charge (whip if needed) to hopefully keep opponent off objective for turn or 2.

I'm thinking a 10 man Skull Reaper unit to throw buffs on. This is gonna do a lot of the heavy lifting while i try to catch stuff out with the Blood Warrior's run + charge. I dont gotta worry about battle shock here and if im gonna focus on buffing a single unit im taking at least 10 of these guys, with their big bases their gonna be too unwieldy in more than 10, same idea for Blood Warrior's.

The Aspiring Death is going to probably follow Reapers around or help a unit of Blood Warriors punch a hole thru something.

The Secrator is probably gonna camp an objective, it depends if i bring warshrine or not. Also if he can keep up with anyone.

I want at least 1 Stoker for that long bomb Reaver pit charge turn 1 if need be but mainly to babysit the Warriors and add to thier threat range. In fact i think i might take 2 to babysit both 10x Warrior units.

Next im taking 2 Slaughter Priest with the altar rerolling blood boil im gonna nuke a enemy support pieces and pass out buffs and sacrifice for bt. Depending on my opponent im gonna bring the judgments too so i can test them. 

Depending on point size of game (i play a lot under 2k cuz time constraints) im either taking another priest for buffs or the Warshrine. I think the shrine has better utility than 3rd priest as i still get blessing but will work good with my blob of Reavers if i go that route, otherwise, as support for the Reapers and/or judgments.

After that whatever points are left over i would take a Korgy or CP or something... I haven't done math.

A few things:

- Bloodmad Warband doesn't have Blood Warriors written as a keyword, so you can't put Magore's Fiends into the battalion, unfortunately. 

- I wouldn't rely too much on the 10 man unit of Bloodreavers as a Look Out Sir! screen when they're your Blood Sacrifice target. I'd up the unit size to at least 20, probably 30 but that footprint is going to be unwieldy for buffs.

- A 10 man unit of Skullreapers will also be unwieldy for buffs because of the 40mm base size, keep that in mind.

18 hours ago, Xasz said:

I think reavers, especially the ones form the starter box, have both options on the model by default.

Doesn't change the fact that you have to decide before the game.

Those Bloodreavers have Reaver Blades equipped; however, I don't see what's stopping you from snipping off the knife and extending the handle of the axe to then call them Meatripper Axes :)

1 minute ago, AresX8 said:

Those Bloodreavers have Reaver Blades equipped; however, I don't see what's stopping you from snipping off the knife and extending the handle of the axe to then call them Meatripper Axes :)

Personally, they have axes and blades, so everything is fine in my book.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChaosUndivided said:

This makes me want to buy more reapers/mongers. Can you squeez Skarr in there? He seems useful here.

You are able to thin the blood warrior unit of 10 to 5 and drop the Wrath-Axe to open up 160p. This will get you Skarr for 120p and a Hexgorger Skulls or Bleeding Icon Judgement for 40p. Possible yes. Personal opinion: I don’t know how well Skarr will do, it is rather nice that you can activate his CA at the start of the enemy combat phase, but still it’s an ability of anticipation, you are counting on dying with 3 wound models. With a 10 man unit ready to smash, i would say retaliation won’t be big. Even with a 5 man unit. Able to smack will cripple the enemy big time. Now would you be the one getting charged in your enemies turn with say.... a heavy unit of fulminators or something than yeah.... the CA is handy. You are dependent on what the enemy throws at your mongers.

Edited by That Guy

¿Whats your opinion on chaos marauders?, they get more or less same profile as bloodreavers with reaver blades, but exchanges 1 bravery with +1 armor save, and if they are 20+ unit they can add +1hit/wound  sometimes. They lose the bloodbound tag and the attack if they are near a totem (that is probably the worst part).  But in exchange they are 25mm base so you can attack in 2 rows so you get extra attacks in.  They are 10 points cheaper but they get minimun size of 20.

5 minutes ago, Bululu said:

¿Whats your opinion on chaos marauders?, they get more or less same profile as bloodreavers with reaver blades, but exchanges 1 bravery with +1 armor save, and if they are 20+ unit they can add +1hit/wound  sometimes. They lose the bloodbound tag and the attack if they are near a totem (that is probably the worst part).  But in exchange they are 25mm base so you can attack in 2 rows so you get extra attacks in.  They are 10 points cheaper but they get minimun size of 20.

Personally I prefer the marauders warscroll and base size and would take them every time if they could fit in our battalions and had better models.

2 minutes ago, Bululu said:

There is a good chance that they will rotate out or be changed drastically within the current year.

Other than that, they have pretty nice rules but have little synergy with the book. 

Just now, Xasz said:

There is a good chance that they will rotate out or be changed drastically within the current year.

Other than that, they have pretty nice rules but have little synergy with the book. 

Just now, Retro said:

Personally I prefer the marauders warscroll and base size and would take them every time if they could fit in our battalions and had better models.

I agree, they dont have synergies with battalions etc, but for example i think they are a great unit for blood sacrifice while holding objective :P

1 minute ago, Bululu said:

I agree, they dont have synergies with battalions etc, but for example i think they are a great unit for blood sacrifice while holding objective

If I have the points yeah, doesn't matter what you sacrifice as long as it has low model to points cost.

I ended up with reavers in most of my current drafts due to REALLY wanting that extra CP and marauder to reavers and vica versa is the easiest thing to change.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bululu said:

I agree, they dont have synergies with battalions etc, but for example i think they are a great unit for blood sacrifice while holding objective :P

You're probably better with chaos warriors for that. 90 points for 10 wounds but they can make saves against the blood sacrifice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, That Guy said:

List I was looking at. Using the offense of the bloodforged, using the defense of the slaughterborn.

Allegiance: Khorne
Realm: Ulgu
Slaughterhost: Goretide

Leaders
Skullgrinder (80)
- General
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer(+2 attacks)
- Trait: Cue the Foe(+1 damage on melee weapon)
Exalted Deathbringer (80)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
- Impaling Spear
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: Goretide Artefact(Ignore modifiers to save)

Battlelines
10 x Blood Warriors (200) [slaughterborn]
- Gorefists
- Goreglaive
- Icon

5 x Blood Warriors (100) [slaughterborn]
- Goreaxes
5 x Blood Warriors (100) [bloodforged]
- Goreaxes

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (160)
- Mark of Khorne
- Prayer: Killing Frenzy

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
5 x Skullreapers (180)
10 x Wrathmongers (280)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Slaughterborn (180)
Bloodforged (120)

Not-Endless Spells: 
Wrath-axe (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra CP: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

Killing Frenzy on the Wrathmongers.
Skullgrinder and Exalted Deathbringer both being super killy. Reapers enjoying Re-roll all failed hits and re-roll 1 to wound near objectives with basically 3+ saves in melee. Kinda 3+ saves in melee for most blood warriors as well. Solid double fighting with killing frenzy and re-roll all failed hits. Warshrine giving 6 + saves after the save. Wrath-Axe to tear a hole to spill into, and debuff them, while we are fully re-rolling. Bloodsecrator for more attacks and countering wizard. Yeah, thought this might be fun.

We’re definitely operating on the same wavelength! I think dual-Battalion is a legitimate prospect in this book, and the Warshrine seems like a must have in any list featuring the endless axe. 

Bloodforged may end up being the real sleeper in this book, especially if you’re facing an enemy with no shooting.

1 hour ago, jazman84 said:

So.... What's the Khorne Cookie  cutter ???

Personally, looks like a mess....

There is no cookie cutter build yet because everyone is still cookin'. Give it a couple of months and we'll see who's got the tastiest batch. Until then, grab your cookie sheet and join in!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Rivener said:

Bloodforged may end up being the real sleeper in this book, especially if you’re facing an enemy with no shooting.

Sure but no shooting is unlikely. I think Slaughterborn and Bloodforged have a lot of potential. The multiple battalion in 2k list is definitely in play. But this is also why i like Bloodmad alot. With the run + charge and a Stoker buffing both running and charging that a guaranteed 14 inches for Blood Warriors, thats if you roll snake eyes on charge. This is the answer to shooting the army lacked before. Mobility is huuuge in this game. Stuff like this allows your guys to run right around screens and attack the back line. You're gonna catch a lot of people off guard with this kind of speed and even when they do wise up its gonna be hard to prevent.

16 minutes ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Sure but no shooting is unlikely. I think Slaughterborn and Bloodforged have a lot of potential. The multiple battalion in 2k list is definitely in play. But this is also why i like Bloodmad alot. With the run + charge and a Stoker buffing both running and charging that a guaranteed 14 inches for Blood Warriors, thats if you roll snake eyes on charge. This is the answer to shooting the army lacked before. Mobility is huuuge in this game. Stuff like this allows your guys to run right around screens and attack the back line. You're gonna catch a lot of people off guard with this kind of speed and even when they do wise up its gonna be hard to prevent.

That's still only one unit you're catapulting away though, and a modestly hitting one at that. If playing mortals with the old book taught me anything, it's to keep your front line intact.

Edited by Bjornas
  • Like 1

I do think Goretide Reavers or Blood Warriors with a Chaos Shrine and potentially in some battalion is going to be great. The Warshrine, from what I am understanding, can do 2 prayers and give a block of Reavers or Warriors reroll all misses and immunity to battleshock. Then you can whip them before they move, now rerolling all wounds, then with Goretide bonsus turn 1 charge. Even 1 unit, fearless, will be a huge road block for your opponent. The thing about Warriors or Reavers is they are not bad at killing other chaff. So turn 1 you are getting into the enemies front line, attacking first, killing their chaff and then you yourself are fearless.

I think its worth testing and on paper seems extremely valuable. I think a big block of blood warriors or even 10 could be much better than people think. Being fearless means and rerolling hits means you go Gorefists and they wont be running so you always get to fightr after they die. I'm sure others have thought about this but it's worth testing!

Edited by Warbossironteef

13 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

That's still only one unit you're catapulting away though, and a modestly hitting one at that. If playing mortals with the old book taught me anything, it's to keep your front line intact.

You can have multiple Stokers and units of Warriors pluss they have reroll ALL failed wound rolls now. Besides you dont have to outright kill the ranged unit because now they have to target the Warriors who have gorefist and no respite.

I could see some value in slinging units of Bloodmad Bloodreavers across the board solely to tie up ranged units, though. If you Bloodstoke them you’ve got an effective threat range of 27” on the charge on average. Probably not efficient per se, but kind of funny. Plus if/when they die you get a blood tithe!