AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Just now, Dead_Duardin said:

I'm not looking to convert anyone lad, people should play how they want 

I wasn't criticizing you. I think I was low key hating on our battalions. Forcing a Huskhorn in there for stuff that we mostly already have (run and charge, mortal wounds) doesn't really do anything for us. I would love to give Braggoth's a go if Gore-Gruntas weren't that difficult to collect.

9 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

I wasn't criticizing you. I think I was low key hating on our battalions. Forcing a Huskhorn in there for stuff that we mostly already have (run and charge, mortal wounds) doesn't really do anything for us. I would love to give Braggoth's a go if Gore-Gruntas weren't that difficult to collect.

I wasn't taking offense, my list works by numbers and I'm trying to limit where dice comes into it. In your match up where best case scenario you've a 9 inch charge I don't think I'd have gone aggro, I'd either have given the turn if he can't alpha me or just move up enough to claim the neutrals. I had this debate playing daughters in that recently and the only reason I went aggro is it was the only chance I had and for a player who mitigates dice.... Dice decided it and I subsequently lost

10 hours ago, Pitloze said:

I think the huskhorn can be very good and actually allows lists to do things they otherwise can’t which is mainly the fight twice in a row. 

Huskhorn blows away the screen then large mfang pack activate and hit the meat and potatoes of their army behind. Once I’ve built more models I want to test a Eurlbad with a big blob of 6 Mfang  

FLoSH

HoSH

BRoSH

6/2 Mfang

20 grots  

list can average 14.5 mortals on the charge then HoSH goes first to finish any screens and then big Mfang blob goes  meanwhile ethereal FLoSH can tie up whatever nasty damage output unit the opponent has.

——

with my current list I’m thinking of dropping the second FLoSH and 2 cats just shove the wraithbow on the hunter can plink some wounds and score on arcane missions. Then add 2 butchers 2 Mournfang and swords endless spell.

This should give the list more ranged and support whilst also healing and boosting the ethereal frostlord.

Edited by Reuben Parker
Update to current list idea.

I can't wait to get a game in with these guys. I just built the first 2 start collectings. I am working toward a Torrbad list, then a Jorlbad, then from there getting a whole Olwyr Alfrostan. I definitely like the models and I am curious to see how it compares to some other low model count armies. Do the larger beasts tend to do the most damage or do the mournfangs, yetis, etc do it? I think the stonehorns and thundertusks will but I have thought similiar things before.

9 hours ago, cranect said:

Do the larger beasts tend to do the most damage or do the mournfangs, yetis, etc do it? 

Mostly the Stonehorn beastie in combat and the Yhetees. Thundertusks aren’t that strong in combat. Of all the riders, the only one that does damage in combat, is the Frostlord unless you play and Eurlbad. The rest are hit or miss in combat. Mournfang do “decent”,  but do often need to hit buffs from ally butchers and/or braggoth’s beast hammer, which restricts lists again. Frost Sabres are decent but very squishy. Ofc every unit has their merits. Frost sabres are great for initiative and forcing your opponent to activate on them, when doing yhetee bounding leap shenanigans. Yhetees do tricksy stuff and are strong in units of 6+, also they have good synergies with thundertusks, mournfang are tanky, can do a lucky pistol shot, can sometimes surprise in damage when things go well and charge reliable. Beastriders overall aren’t a great choice and often it’s better to upgrade to a hero version, obviously for some battalions you can’t. Hunter is in a bad spot at the moment, but needed if you want to run a skall, or use frost sabres as battleline if you make him your general. Thundertusks aren’t great in combat, but can instant blast heroes or armoured units with 6 mortal wounds on their first 2 wounds, which means you need healing to be succesful(coming back on that later). Stonehorns are beasts in combat, but their stone skeletons are nerfed and your most scary opponent are now units with lots of 1 damage attacks. As for riders, like i said beastriders don’t do a lot, but can give a double ranged attack. Frostlords are the best on stonehorns, who survive longer and want to charge, unlike on Thundertusk, who prefer not to charge(FoTT is a pretty schyzophrenic unit, but does give the 3+ save). In fact a FoSH is probably our best unit. Huskards on the mammoths do different things per mammoth. The huskard on stonehorn allows you to attack with a nearby mournfang immidiately after he attacked. Mostly good in the Eurlbad, but that’s it. And like i told you, huskards don’t fight well in combat, the stonehorn does though. Unless you take the Eurlbad. Huskards on Thundertusks are great, especially with more of them. They want to stay on range with the frost blasts and blood vulture attacks and use their Blizzard speaker ability to heal their wounds back up so that they can blast with 6 mortals consistenly. Alternatively they can buff yhetees for example with re-roll wound rolls of 1.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

Any words on priests or casters for BCR, or maybe a merg with other oger factions ?

Not a peep as I'm aware.

There are a few fractured rumors floating around that Gutbusters might see an update in the near future, but I doubt it!

As far as concrete rumors, Ogor's in general are quite absent.

Edit: On the merge note, this is super unlikely. So far the factions have stayed very true to the new groupings on the getting started and store page and Gutbusters + Beastclaw are very much their own thing. Besides that merging would leave them with next to no allied options. 

Edited by Shankelton

21 minutes ago, blueshirtman said:

ok, that is sad.  I guess I will just wait for next edition or something.

Skaven, Flesheater, and Khorne all really came out of nowhere. So I wouldn't lose hope entirely. From what I heard from the forums and online the Beastclaw sets sold fairly well, so I imagine they are on a whiteboard to do list somewhere lol.

Enjoy the hobby side of it! 

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster here.

I've been slowly filling my Ogor hordes and reluctantly picked up some Icefall Yhetees despite hearing that the models are bad. Having now received them I can honestly say I wasn't expecting them to be quite has terrible as they are so I'm considering conversion options to pad out their numbers.

Has anyone got a size comparison between Yhetees and the new Rockgut Troggoths? It'll take a fair bit of work but I think I can probably make them fit for purpose with some new heads and a lot of greenstuff!

Edited by HostilSpike

Imho the best count as Yethees inside GW's catalogue are the Kurnoth Hunters. Size is more or less the same, and the models are cool enough. Just paint them in a cold/winter scheme and it's done!

I want to buy some boxes of them, but I'm afraid that if I do that, the following week GW announces "hey, new Ogor/BCR battletome with new plastic (and awesome) Yethees models!"

22 hours ago, GutZilla said:

Are yhetee models really that bad? What is so awful about them? They don’t seem too bad online in photos. Maybe I’m missing something, or just have poor taste lol. 

Its all subjective really.

My issue with the Yeti kit is the fur. It looks like something i'd be able to do pushing a tool into greenstuff, and when you compare that to the rest of the range, it looks terrible. That, and of course being Finecast. I actively try to avoid factions with it.

22 hours ago, Shankelton said:

Its all subjective really.

My issue with the Yeti kit is the fur. It looks like something i'd be able to do pushing a tool into greenstuff, and when you compare that to the rest of the range, it looks terrible. That, and of course being Finecast. I actively try to avoid factions with it.

Yes, the fur is very matted.

Two of the three poses are awful. I don't mind the pose of the "running" Yhetee, but there is a weird extra bit where his right arm meets his leg.

Also, the smallest bone trinkets are kinda difficult to see until you "learn" each Yhetee.

good afternoon
I am Nicorko from Chile, I just started playing with BCR 
and I have not played before AOS or Fantasy, I chose them
 because I love the theme of giants beasts and elite armies 
and I think this is my army, I told them that I played a 
couple of games and I have a couple of doubts, in the formation 
Eurlbad all gain +1 damage? up to the mounts? Does someone use 
mournfang pack? any recommendation or combination of items or 
command features?

12 hours ago, Nicorko said:

good afternoon
I am Nicorko from Chile, I just started playing with BCR 
and I have not played before AOS or Fantasy, I chose them
 because I love the theme of giants beasts and elite armies 
and I think this is my army, I told them that I played a 
couple of games and I have a couple of doubts, in the formation 
Eurlbad all gain +1 damage? up to the mounts? Does someone use 
mournfang pack? any recommendation or combination of items or 
command features?

It is only the Huskard on Stonehorn that gets +1 damage, but yes, his mount’s attacks get it as well. I use mournfang packs, and prefer them in units of 4; the hackers are generally better, but the fists are ok, and are likely to be useful again soon I think.  I think Everwinter’s Master is the best all round trait, beast-eater can be good if you know you’re facing a lot of monsters. If you’re only using BCR artefacts, I still like the pelt, but blade of all-frost can combine with eurlbad bonuses for punches and kicks, and the tokens can also make a crucial turn go well. Bleeding skull looks ok to help with lack of casters, but in reality it will only help you against light magic lists, in which case you probably don’t need it anyway. If you are playing realm artefacts, there’s several great choices that you would probably take over any of the BCR ones.

10 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Solo el Huskard en Stonehorn es el que recibe +1 de daño, pero sí, los ataques de su caballo también lo consiguen. Yo uso mournfang packs, y los prefiero en unidades de 4; Los hackers generalmente son mejores, pero los puños están bien, y es probable que vuelvan a ser útiles pronto, creo. Creo que el Maestro de Everwinter es el mejor rasgo general, el devorador de bestias puede ser bueno si sabes que te enfrentas a muchos monstruos. Si solo estás usando artefactos BCR, todavía me gusta la piel, pero la hoja de All-Frost se puede combinar con bonos de Eurlbad para golpes y patadas, y los tokens también pueden hacer que un giro crucial salga bien. El cráneo sangrante se ve bien para ayudar con la falta de lanzadores, pero en realidad solo te ayudará contra las listas de magia ligera, en cuyo caso probablemente no lo necesites de todos modos. Si estás jugando artefactos de reino,

Hello good afternoon, first I want to thank the help and ask for my apology if 
my English is not very good but apparently they managed to understand me 
hahahaha being as you say I do not see much use to that training to be 
worth 180 pts for that I prefer the one I can move and charge the same 
shift and the hunter and tigers to ambush and take me sts, the following 
week I have a 1k pts rookie tournament and I wanted to take a huskard in 
SH a unit of 4 MFP and a Th beastrider to support with deadly from behind 
while the other 2 charge and stick together 
that opinana? Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Nicorko said:

Hello good afternoon, first I want to thank the help and ask for my apology if 
my English is not very good but apparently they managed to understand me 
hahahaha being as you say I do not see much use to that training to be 
worth 180 pts for that I prefer the one I can move and charge the same 
shift and the hunter and tigers to ambush and take me sts, the following 
week I have a 1k pts rookie tournament and I wanted to take a huskard in 
SH a unit of 4 MFP and a Th beastrider to support with deadly from behind 
while the other 2 charge and stick together 
that opinana? Any suggestions?

De nada. 1k list sounds fine to me, but you might find it hard to cover objectives (but then that’s BCR in general). Will have to table your opponent quickly!

24 minutes ago, Nicorko said:

hi how you make for transport the big boys of the army?

I'd strongly suggest magnetizing the heads, riders and anything you build vertically such as banners etc. on them, as well as using the short tails instead of the long ones. Without the heads and tails the model is pretty easy to transport in just a carton box with loads of foam pieces inside. Mine is 32x22x20 cm, I filled the bottom with about 3cm layer of expanding foam (the kind you use to fill holes around windows etc), cut 4 120x90 mm "pools" in the foam so they fit in just about. Total cost around 2 euro.

Edited by EddieWouldGo
wrong dimensions
  • LOVE IT! 1

2k Double Tourney coming up, and looking for artefact advice. 

Partner in crime is running an brute focused Iron Jaw list, whilst i'm (obviously) running BCR.

Pretty typical 1k list

* Huskard on SH

* 2x 2 Mournfang

* TT Beastriders

To that end, i'm looking for suggestions on what kind of Artefact to take. We're not running any endless spells, so no cogs etc, so maybe something to propel myself forward? or maybe the -1 to hit? 

23 hours ago, Dead_Ghost said:

2k Double Tourney coming up, and looking for artefact advice. 

Partner in crime is running an brute focused Iron Jaw list, whilst i'm (obviously) running BCR.

Pretty typical 1k list

* Huskard on SH

* 2x 2 Mournfang

* TT Beastriders

To that end, i'm looking for suggestions on what kind of Artefact to take. We're not running any endless spells, so no cogs etc, so maybe something to propel myself forward? or maybe the -1 to hit? 

Yeah, Grpyhfeather on him for survivability or Thermalcloak to let him fly! A flying Stonehorn is nasty.