Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some stuff on my painting station to work on for next edition, stuff I will be using often. Got a Heraldor as that run and charge is too good on a Stardrake now, a Castellant as there is so much healing synergy possible for the army now and finally 5 liberators as I do think I will be using them more often just to fill a battle line requirement up as I cant see judicators being taken as often now that the ballistas exist

1 hour ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Hey, quick question: do you guys think the bracers on the Sancrosact models are armor or cloth?

They're leather - I'm painting one at the moment, and the bracers have clear wrinkles/folds, but are clearly supposed to be stiffer than cloth. You can see it on the studio painted models - they've done them in a dark leather colour. 

So after playing a game yesterday with some proxies:

Ballistas are good. Ran 2 with an Ordinator, probably will be a staple for me going forward. Very reliable, very efficient. 1 shot seems bad, but exploding evens it out, and when things get close enough for the 4 shot version, it's extremely brutal. Rend -2 is just always good.

Incantors are fairly solid. The spell is so-so, depending on the game. I was facing Khorne with lots of blobs so the MWs didn't do much, but the -1 to Charge actually turned a 3 into a 2 and stopped a combat. 

Arcanum on GC is pretty decent. Good weapon, good stats, better Arcane Bolt. He's very toolbox-y, he's not going to wow you in your games, but as a platform to do a bit of damage, provide some utility, and be fast, he's good.

Didn't use Evocators or Sequitors yet. Did use a few Endless Spells. It's cool to have that type of trick in your army, tried Pendulum, Geminids, and Cogs. 

I did find the spells unreliable. The Endless spells and model specific ones are mostly 6s and 7s, which isn't hard, but not super reliable. Most magic heavy armies have lots of bonuses - Tzeentch being a big one with the LoC ability, but Death Wizards get buffs too. The only way we have to buff spellcasting is with a Stardrake model modifying the roll, which is cool, but also a bit silly unless you're already running a Stardrake list. I wonder if we'll get Artifacts or Traits that help them.

Is anyone else disappointed in the lack of quality on the Lord-Arcanum on GC model? If you get a chance look at the underside of the Gryphcharger. It might be the worst GW model in recent memory. I didn't grab a picture but I'll be at the store tonight to try and get one.

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

So after playing a game yesterday with some proxies:

Ballistas are good. Ran 2 with an Ordinator, probably will be a staple for me going forward. Very reliable, very efficient. 1 shot seems bad, but exploding evens it out, and when things get close enough for the 4 shot version, it's extremely brutal. Rend -2 is just always good.

Incantors are fairly solid. The spell is so-so, depending on the game. I was facing Khorne with lots of blobs so the MWs didn't do much, but the -1 to Charge actually turned a 3 into a 2 and stopped a combat. 

Arcanum on GC is pretty decent. Good weapon, good stats, better Arcane Bolt. He's very toolbox-y, he's not going to wow you in your games, but as a platform to do a bit of damage, provide some utility, and be fast, he's good.

Didn't use Evocators or Sequitors yet. Did use a few Endless Spells. It's cool to have that type of trick in your army, tried Pendulum, Geminids, and Cogs. 

I did find the spells unreliable. The Endless spells and model specific ones are mostly 6s and 7s, which isn't hard, but not super reliable. Most magic heavy armies have lots of bonuses - Tzeentch being a big one with the LoC ability, but Death Wizards get buffs too. The only way we have to buff spellcasting is with a Stardrake model modifying the roll, which is cool, but also a bit silly unless you're already running a Stardrake list. I wonder if we'll get Artifacts or Traits that help them.

Planning on fitting either the arcanum or Incantor + cogs into a Les Martin ™️ List, star drake cold help with the arcanums powered spells

I really like the new models and mechanics, but i will not buy any till i see the other warscrolls to build a list. Like Lord Arcanum on foot/dracoth, lord exorcist and that thing for 360 points. Feel like the arcanum on  dracoth/foot for example will be the same warscroll as the one on gryph charger exept he will be on a dracoth/foot and i feel like this will be the better choice. I hope we will get some information about it soon or maybe its just a marketing strategy so people buy the soul war box. Same like the sequitors, you need 3 grandweapons for a unit of 5 and swords are better then maces but you cant choose in the soulwars box.

Its hard to be patient but i think its worth it.

Anyone feels same?

5 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

I really like the new models and mechanics, but i will not buy any till i see the other warscrolls to build a list. Like Lord Arcanum on foot/dracoth, lord exorcist and that thing for 360 points. Feel like the arcanum on  dracoth/foot for example will be the same warscroll as the one on gryph charger exept he will be on a dracoth/foot and i feel like this will be the better choice. I hope we will get some information about it soon or maybe its just a marketing strategy so people buy the soul war box. Same like the sequitors, you need 3 grandweapons for a unit of 5 and swords are better then maces but you cant choose in the soulwars box.

Its hard to be patient but i think its worth it.

Anyone feels same?

Nah, I'm getting two SCE sides. Ballistas are worth their points, Incantors are worth their points. 

Sequitors with Swords do seem to be better, I agree... but you can make a unit of 5 with 3 grandweapons out of the box. I'm nonplussed about 2 less than best weapons when the big ones are all that really matter. The two other dudes are just there for Shields.

Arcanum on Gryph Charger might be a lesser choice than the other ones, sure, but that remains to be seen. He's not bad by a long shot as is, though.

So if you split evenly for $80, you're getting, at minimum, a good foot Hero, a good Warmachine, a reasonably solid Infantry unit, two questionable units (I think Evocators are ok, but have the same problem as Paladins, Castigators seem... fine, not amazing but not terrible), and a good Leader who might be replaced later. And potentially the book depending on the split. That's more than worthwhile to me, imo, but I could see not wanting it.

9 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Anyone feels same?

Kind of but not really.  I'm trading my Nighthaunt for a 2nd set of Sacrosanct, which makes the unit numbers work out much better.  and I wanted the rulebook/background anyway.  But I would definitely prefer it if the units matched the sized for Matched Play.

5 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Arcanum on Gryph Charger might be a lesser choice than the other ones, sure, but that remains to be seen. He's not bad by a long shot as is, though.

I have a feeling their unique spells and abilities will be distinct.  Look at all the different Lords Celestant.  Entirely unique command abilities and different weapon options, plus a really fun hammer cloak ability on the foot model.  Really the only unifying thing is the extra attacks on the charge.  

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

(I think Evocators are ok, but have the same problem as Paladins, Castigators seem... fine, not amazing but not terrible)

I actually proxied a game as well, i got really unlucky and didnt get to try most of the new stuff, but I did have 5 evocators and they did a ton of work. Killed 20 vulkites in 1 combat, halved a magmadroth later thanks to the Lightning chains

13 minutes ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

Ballistas will be in every Stormcast army when they come out. 

I agree though I suspect they will be an early candidate for a points hike in first FAQ, lol.

Did I hear right on the tactics stream yesterday with Ben J that the Lord Arcanums cycle of the storm ability only works if the slain model takes exactly enough wounds to be killed?  Makes it pretty situational, but I guess returning a star drake every turn would be ridiculous?

41 minutes ago, Mikosan said:

I agree though I suspect they will be an early candidate for a points hike in first FAQ, lol.

Did I hear right on the tactics stream yesterday with Ben J that the Lord Arcanums cycle of the storm ability only works if the slain model takes exactly enough wounds to be killed?  Makes it pretty situational, but I guess returning a star drake every turn would be ridiculous?

the ennemy would juste have to put a last wound with a second attack/pile-in/spell/whatever it is

I just noticed on the GW site that the Libs and Rets easy to build kits are LCTB.  Does this mean we are getting replacements for them I wonder?  I actually need a box of the rets and am curious if I should wait since I already have both of those minis

2 hours ago, mystycalchemy said:

I actually proxied a game as well, i got really unlucky and didnt get to try most of the new stuff, but I did have 5 evocators and they did a ton of work. Killed 20 vulkites in 1 combat, halved a magmadroth later thanks to the Lightning chains

One round, or multiples? Don't see how you kill 20 vulkites in one round of combat.  Were you rolling two dice for each evocator, not each enemy model?  You should kill 2.5 vulkites with lightning and another 3 (4 with their spell up) from their normal attacks.  Doing three to four times that amount is next to impossible.  

5 hours ago, AwareTheLegend said:

Is anyone else disappointed in the lack of quality on the Lord-Arcanum on GC model? If you get a chance look at the underside of the Gryphcharger. It might be the worst GW model in recent memory. I didn't grab a picture but I'll be at the store tonight to try and get one.

ifq5gdn93e411.jpg

Saw this picture the other day. It isn't the greatest.

2 hours ago, silentdeathz said:

ifq5gdn93e411.jpg

Saw this picture the other day. It isn't the greatest.

Wow, that is honestly worse than I thought it would be. If he wasn't rearing up it might not be a big deal, but I don't think it will be hard to see the underside from an even level. Wonder what that story is...

Guess I'll have to bust out the greenstuff!

Seems extremely lazy design to me. It doesn't need to be super high quality but that isn't even trying. Just seems like another thing from the Starter sets GW need to improve on.

Think I'll see how the bits match up and honestly maybe kitbash the body with an Aquilor model.

5 hours ago, Richelieu said:

One round, or multiples? Don't see how you kill 20 vulkites in one round of combat.  Were you rolling two dice for each evocator, not each enemy model?  You should kill 2.5 vulkites with lightning and another 3 (4 with their spell up) from their normal attacks.  Doing three to four times that amount is next to impossible.  

Sorry, fat fingered on my phone. It was a squad of 10. Significantly less impressive, but they still did work. 4 MW from the lightning (I proxied up a squad of 5, and rolled 2 dice per evocator, so 10 total.) plus about 4 more dying made the rest run in battleshock since there weren't any heroes nearby to auto-pass.

8 hours ago, Tiriom said:

I just noticed on the GW site that the Libs and Rets easy to build kits are LCTB.  Does this mean we are getting replacements for them I wonder?  I actually need a box of the rets and am curious if I should wait since I already have both of those minis

I highly doubt that they will ever come back as they are replaced by others easy-to-build kits (for the SCE we have now sequitors and castigators), if you need them get them now.

50 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

I highly doubt that they will ever come back as they are replaced by others easy-to-build kits (for the SCE we have now sequitors and castigators), if you need them get them now.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I took your advice and bought some. Cheers

Archived