Let's chat : the slaves to darkness /dark oath

Arkiham

Thought I'd  start this chat up, 

Revealed today on the community site they are going to be getting looked at,  and probably reworked, chances are they will separate the heavily armoured guys from the marauder types, creating 2 separate but  high synergy armies being netural in the chaos worship.

We should find out more today.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be amazing if they made new generic god marauders with the same quality as Darkoath warchief/war queen/bloodreavers. But I doubt slaves will get any new models. Heck even 40k still lacks a friggin proper chaos cultist set that isnt the monopose starter models!

Would be great though to have a proper darkoath army.

Well, we have seen two dark oath heroes  and marauders are some of the oldest if not the oldest plastic models. And each grand alliance is meant to be getting a release to celebrate aos 2.

I woukdnt say it's a stretch to see new marauders 

Preview is up

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/16/16th-may-faction-focus-everchosen-and-slaves-to-darknessgw-homepage-post-3/

An everchosen battalion that keeps turn priority 50-50

Hints at some point reductions

Possible ability changes for Archaon

Slaves and Everchosen seem seperate still, no mention that I saw of darkoath but may have missed it

Same ability to mix and match w current chaos gods

Dark oath has been a long time coming, 

We kinda already know how they are going to look based off the two marauder type models they've already released. Who are super hench now

And we were told we'd be receiving units with the 2nd edition as I mentioned.

They seem to be related to the harbinger models, so I dunno  maybe little early but I've been waiting for a general chaos chat for a bit. Non god specific stuff so why not.

Speaking of, I am slowly replacing all my dedicated slaves to darkness stuff for netural chaos led by archaon, it actually feels kinda nice.

It would be cool if Darkoath gave a nod to the ancient worship tradition of Chaos Undivided, with stronger links to Everchosen...

But I reckon a few Khorne players might be looking on, for potentially new and improved recruits...

I love the everchosen/slaves minis but the lack of ranged and / or magic make them at the end too close to a khorne army with just less possibilities and efficiency. I'm afraid that we won't see enough change from GW to improve that. 

The only positive side is that you can make them chaos (generic) or one of the chaos god army. But again, some other unit specific to each god will do better.

Sad. :(

On 5/19/2018 at 5:22 AM, GeneralZero said:

I smell that Darkoath will be Destruction. 

Destruction has an identity crisis as is with their lack of story, why would it be further diluted with human barbarians? That would be like inserting beastmen into Destruction, aka "hey look, orruks but they're goat people!" Ok sure they shuffled in Fimir but thats a lot less significant.

Plus then that would completely invalidate Malign Portents. One harbinger for each grand alliance, each hinting at their future expansion. Not to mention all those poor marauders with clearly chaos aligned icons/banners that would become out of place. Even their shields have the 8 pointed star.

Bit of  reminder that this is the fluff blurb for darkoath war queens

Spoiler

Thousands of mortal tribes have bound their fates to the will of Chaos, and at the fore are the Darkoath Warqueens. These are souls who have committed all manner of atrocity to attract the favour of the Dark Gods. With a fierce animal charisma and the fires of ambition fueling their every move, they are deadly warriors all, but their true power is the favour of the Dark Gods, and their supernatural ability to unite the hordes of Chaos as one. Marakarr Blood-sky has proven herself the rightful leader of her barbarian tribespeople again and again, and they obey her without question.

On 5/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, Roark said:

It would be cool if Darkoath gave a nod to the ancient worship tradition of Chaos Undivided, with stronger links to Everchosen...

But I reckon a few Khorne players might be looking on, for potentially new and improved recruits...

I think this is what you can expect. More barbarian like figures. Possibly with their whole own slew of Dark (Sea/Ice) Creatures. Pretty much like a lot of the Marauder lore set it up to be like Warhammer Fantasy. 

In general Chaos will always have some overlap with each other and this is quite purposefully done aswell I'd say. Afterall they are all part of the bigger plan if Archaon and the Chaos Gods decide they will be. Which is likely why GW will design Mortal followers that look like each other or can be painted in any color you want so you can use them for what you want. This is the strenght of Slaves to Darkness/Hordes of Chaos/Warriors of Chaos line afterall...

On 5/19/2018 at 12:22 PM, GeneralZero said:

I smell that Darkoath will be Destruction. 

I deem that 100% unlikely. 

Destruction will continue to expand and there are MANY paths to go. But the fact is that I believe GW has as much of an 'restriction' designing them as they do have Death. Basically WFB didn't have a ton of sketches ready for them to expand upon, where Order and Chaos most certainly did and still do.

Having said that though I think it's a logical conclusion that the humanoid that will show up in Destruction will be more Ogres first. The "Ice design" is so far the only one fleshed out and I'm willing to bet that we will see a "Fire design", "Jungle design" and "Eart/Maneater design" being fleshed out completely.
However Destruction design topics are neither applicable to discuss here or in this topic really.

I think there will be a split
What I still think will be and logically should be the case is that Slaves to Darkness and Everchosen become one. Because they are one. Both in design aspect and general approaches of design where mixing Gods and picking different allegiances feels logical.

At the same time I think that like Nighthaunt/Legions of Nagash it's logical that some Darkoath can join their forces. However it also makes even much more sence to have Darkoath eventually come out with a Battletome of their own. In essence Darkoath are the Chaos equivelant of Free Guilds in Order. In essence Everchosen and the Chaos Warriors of Slaves to Darkness are the Chaos  equivelant of Stormcasts in Order. 

I saw on facebook someone ask about the combiningg of slaves and everchosen. The answer from GW was basically that they were separate because not all followers of chaos are followers of Archaon. 

However it would be nice for Everchosen to get a foot slogger option similar to chaos warriors for a bit of variety in that list. 

This thread is about Slaves to Darkness, so I think this belongs here:

1. Chaos Sorcerer Lord: Why is this guy 160? OK, I'm biased about this because I just did a sweet conversion of a Manticore Sorcerer and a Chaos Knight steed. But I'm really hoping this guy comes down in points for GHB3.

2. One of the recent Faction Foci hinted at more meaningful Mark abilities for the Manticore Lord. It would be great for this model to be fearsome and effective on the battlefield... Even through 7th and 8th edition, he never got a really decent run ruleswise....

2 hours ago, Roark said:

1. Chaos Sorcerer Lord: Why is this guy 160? OK, I'm biased about this because I just did a sweet conversion of a Manticore Sorcerer and a Chaos Knight steed. But I'm really hoping this guy comes down in points for GHB3.

2. One of the recent Faction Foci hinted at more meaningful Mark abilities for the Manticore Lord. It would be great for this model to be fearsome and effective on the battlefield... Even through 7th and 8th edition, he never got a really decent run ruleswise....

I agree on the Manticore Lord. His warscroll is very subpar, and he is still overcosted for his points if you compare him to something like an Orukk Warboss on Wyvern.

Regarding the Chaos Sorcerer Lord, i fear that if/when his warscroll is updated, he will lose the option for a steed as they no longer sell a model for it. They did the same thing with the Necromancer's Warscroll in "Legions of Nagash" as they no longer sell a "Necromancer on Nightmare" on their site. 

That will be very unfortunate of course, i have a converted mounted chaos sorcerer waiting to be painted.

8 hours ago, Roark said:

Agree that 160 can feel pretty steep. He was 140 before GHB 2017 wasn't he? Anyway, I've always assumed the high cost was because Demonic Power can make certain units (eg. Exalted Keeper of Secrets) really terrifying. However, now that Mystic Shield is just rerolling 1's as opposed to +1 save, one could argue that Demonic Power gets a bit less strong, as it's tougher now to get 2+ rerolling 1's.

I'd like to see the Sorcerer Lord come down, though we'll have to see what new magic is in store!

Also, I've always loved the mounted sorcerer lord from the manticore set and thought he'd make for an awesome conversion. Nice work!

The Sorcerer Lord does have the ability to let a unit reroll saves of 1 which was effectively a weak spell that you didnt have to cast and cant be unbound. With the changes to mystic shield he now basically has a free mystic shield, unless his scroll is changed of course. I would prefer he lose that ability but be able to cast 2 spells instead of one- that would justify the points! However given the emphasis on magic in AOS2 the hot tip is that wizards will go up in points, so he might do well to stay at 160!

On 5/25/2018 at 9:46 PM, Render said:

Agree that 160 can feel pretty steep. He was 140 before GHB 2017 wasn't he? Anyway, I've always assumed the high cost was because Demonic Power can make certain units (eg. Exalted Keeper of Secrets) really terrifying. However, now that Mystic Shield is just rerolling 1's as opposed to +1 save, one could argue that Demonic Power gets a bit less strong, as it's tougher now to get 2+ rerolling 1's.

I'd like to see the Sorcerer Lord come down, though we'll have to see what new magic is in store!

Also, I've always loved the mounted sorcerer lord from the manticore set and thought he'd make for an awesome conversion. Nice work!

I always assumed the same. His ability to essentially buff two units from a single hero slot is quite powerful and one doesn't even require a roll or him to be the general. So for things like khorne and slaanesh he was an amazing allied hero. (still have the vague idea of a pied piper conversion to ally into my skaven list for that exact reason) And although I love to see him come down.. I have the sneaking suspicion that mages will stay roughly the same. The versatility and power of a sorcerer increases massively if they now have not only endless spells but winds of magic to choose from. Especially for those factions that don't have their own spell list it's a big increase. 

The Sorc Lord is definitely worth those 160pts.

His 2 main abilities are important 'cos they do something that StD and mono-god armies struggle with: dice mitigation. 

StD has access to units that have a really strong base-line of stats - good armour, decent hit/wound rolls/middling bravery etc - but there aren't a lot of ways to get re-rolls in, leaving us at the whims of the dice gods. The ability to improve our already-good stats with re-rolls turns decent units into absolute powerhouses. 

For example:

Take a sorc on foot and plonk him behind a unit of chosen, next to any other unit (but probably warriors or marauders). Demonic Power the chosen, pop the free re-roll saves of 1 on the other unit. Once in combat the chosen will now hit and wounding on 3s, re-rolling 1s, with a rend (another rarity in StD) and a potential for mortal wounds. Then, if they kill at least one model, every StD unit nearby will get to re-roll wounds. Meanwhile, that buff to the saves of the other unit will help them stick around long enough to fight second, now with a boost to their damage output.

Another great use is just to have him follow a big mob of knights. Knights struggle to dish out pain in general, but they throw lots of dice (5 attacks apiece if you include the ponies) so benefit more from the ability to fiddle the dice rolls. 

So I reckon he's actually worth his 160 price tag. That's not to say the other 160pt heroes aren't overcosted at the moment though - looking at you Curseling, Fatemaster and Magister 

++++ Rose tinted specs on ++++

I’m hoping that the chieftain and warqueen are heralds of things to come, and in turn the heralds new faction focuses hidden in plain sight – Keldrek gives me hope as nighthaunts followed with a nice new aesthetic that matched his.

I’m hoping the same for the Darkoath.

In a lot of the art, and there is a current second edition artwork piece  that’s got some undeniably barbarian type figures which are definitely not bloodreavers if my eyes don’t deceive me.

I’d dearly love to see a Wulfric return in some form as he would suit this faction so well, especially with a ship that can travel across the realms.

Perhaps Darkoath could be the new home of barbarians and beasts, unlikely but it could happen.  Might..   totally unlikely…

I think the army would be the ideal home for giants, mammoths, skin wolves, chariots, spawn maybe.  I imagine that this army (much like my own slaves army) trades ranged attacks for either very fast units like horsemen, or just massive wound sinks like mammoths and swarms of bodies.

++++ Rose tinted specs off ++++

With the way that forsaken and other stuff just dropped off when AoS was launched, I still feel that they could easily have done this with marauders.  I’d like to hope that somewhere in the bowels of the product team at GW, they have seen that there’s still a market within their game for people who just want a normal mortal army that doesn’t involve superhumans etc.  (yes yes, IP chapterhouse and all that stuff aside), there’s still a real hunger for a no gimmick army with cool stuff.

But then again three years on and I’m still whining about War Mammoths and skin wolves not getting marks, so don’t listen to me! :)

Archived