Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next unit preview:  https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/11/who-are-the-akhelians-apr-11gw-homepage-post-1/

Electric eels!

AoSDeepkin-Apr11-BiovoltBarrier3tj.jpg

Can go all-cav too:  "If you’re looking to field a super-elite army of Idoneth Deepkin (or just really love sea monsters), taking an Akhelian King as your general turns Morrsarr and Ishlaen Guard into Battleline units for a unique and powerful force."

The article differentiates between Morrsarr and Ishlaen Guard and they explicit mention the Ishlaen Guard to have the Biovoltaic Barrier ability. I think one of them is the close combat version with swords and the other one a ranged unit with javelins similar to the Heartrenders and Life-Takers of the Daughters of Khaine. 
My guess is the Ishlaen Guard is the close combat version as they can make use of the extra protection when charging.

2 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

The article differentiates between Morrsarr and Ishlaen Guard and they explicit mention the Ishlaen Guard to have the Biovoltaic Barrier ability. I think one of them is the close combat version with swords and the other one a ranged unit with javelins similar to the Heartrenders and Life-Takers of the Daughters of Khaine. 
My guess is the Ishlaen Guard is the close combat version as they can make use of the extra protection when charging.

I think they already mentioned this somewhere, with the shield guys being the more tanky guys. I think that this confirms it! and yea this is awesome, I just hope they still can ack a wallop in close combat even while ignoring rend! and good point to mention we are now harder to wound than ghosts so that's something (as ghosts lost the modifiers to saves, we keep it!)

36 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

I believe the other eels will be able to channel the energy into their Lance's for more damage. I don't think any were modelled throwing?

image.png.7fa392549aea52080820b1a413f9e3b8.png

This guy (pictured on the article) looks like he's either prepping to throw like a javelin or prepping to thrust. Hard to make out the position of the hand!

Deepkin are Noble but psychologically broken people. They are literally everywhere. They see everybody as a potential soul, even other enclaves if they get desperate enough. 

No new massive creatures as of yet. Turtles will act as the Frontline of most armies they are in.

They will have a few allies but not many.

They still haven't shown much in game mechanics. All lore, and it does sound great if not tragic as well.

2 minutes ago, Themoocher said:

Deepkin are Noble but psychologically broken people. They are literally everywhere. They see everybody as a potential soul, even other enclaves if they get desperate enough. 

No new massive creatures as of yet. Turtles will act as the Frontline of most armies they are in.

They will have a few allies but not many.

They still haven't shown much in game mechanics. All lore, and it does sound great if not tragic as well.

To add to this, it seems like they have enclaves spread throughout the mortal realms and it was implied that you could take your army from one of these enclaves to recieve army wide bonuses like skyports for K.O. or temples for DoK. They mentioned that the Ghurr enclave where famed for their beast masters and the Aquishy enclave was hot tempered.

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

What bothers me is zero mortal wound protection and I doubt they will get any (or hardly any) with those kind of abilities. 

So I guess my core is King, 2 eel units and 20-30 Thralls - Sweet 

I don't understand why every army needs to have mortal wound resistance. There's too much of that already -- they may as well take "mortal" out of "mortal wounds," considering all the armies/units that have resistance to them.

Just a few notes, definitely missed some bits but largely background stuff:

Confirmation that some enclaves will receive rules. Enclaves below, apologies for surely atrocious spelling:

- Ionrach - first city, most noble, glimmering cities and high spires in the deep, most conflicted by having to steal souls, finest sorcerors

- Dom Hain (sic) - based in Ghur, city built by exiles from Ionrach on the back of a colossal continet-sized sea-slug, only realised when it started moving. It's not really under their control and tends to wander, leading to conflicts between them and whoever the sea-slug moves near. 'Feral', 'savage', in constant conflict with the many sea-beasts of Ghur. Best beast-tamers, have a rivalry with Ghur. Movement buffs mentioned?

- Faoithe (sic) - enclave based in Aqysh, boiling seas, most hot-tempered and prideful

- (can't remember name) - creepiest, most sinister, focus on 'shock and horror'. Based in Shyish in the Black Chasm, a fantasy Mariana trench but deeper, utter blackness. Raided the populace there, hinted that his precipitated conflict with Nagash. A 'Sea of Suicides' mentioned. Apparently Phil Kelly was working on these guys' background.

Allies: not many. Emphasis was on the Idoneth being deeply psychologically damaged. 'They don't get on with each other so can barely get on with anyone else'. Sylvaneth, Daughters of Khaine, other elves are still prey. Scourge Privateers seem to have had a better idea of their existence than most from pulling up weird branded sea-beasts but are basically still prey.  Situational allies at best. Some Free Cities have been preyed on by them for centuries, the Idoneth will just wait for them to repopulate (the Akhelians are as long-lived as other elves) and for folklore to fade. Initially only coastal villages were raided but as the Idoneth population grew they have started to raid further inland and take larger and larger targets. The expansion of cities post-realmgate wars has made more targets and brought them into contact with more folks.

Very psychologically damaged people, actively repressing cultural memory of Slaanesh, greatest fear is to be taken by it again. Sought the deep seas partially because they were quiet, still and isolated as a form of recuperation. A lot of internal conflict and bitterness.

Cities are built/sung in explicitly similar fashion to 40k wraithbone but with coral.

The Eidolon of Mathlann is more like an artificial avatar-analogue than an actual spirit of the god. Basically they tried desperately to call on Mathlann when they first fled to the seas. Nothing answered but their idealised half-imagined idea of what Mathlann of the world-that-was was like built a ghost/poltergheist/thing out of the souls they have gathered and stored. No real link to Mathlann - he's 'deader than Khaine' - but an idealised vision of Mathlann as the Idoneth imagine he was, either calm or stormy like the sea.

Vetock pushed the tragedy of the faction. Some are vicious raiders in the deep - some even went mad and disappeared into the open oceans - but some aim for nobility and only do this soul-stealing because they must, for their children. Namarti are sometimes treated like second-class citizens but there is no rhyme or reason to who is born with a 'full' soul or otherwise.

Lots of things apparently mentioned in the book that haven't been represented in the warscrolls, possibly for future expansion.

I was all aboard for these before they were unveiled, and still am, sorta. However, if they end up not being able to ally (other than mixed Order) with my Order Serpentis I might pass for the snek girls who are suitably thematic for me too. 

But, the deepmare and eel/shark army sounds more up my street than painting 30 Thralls or Reavers and all that skin! That, the turtle and Eidolon are brilliant models. 

Sounds like you get the shipwrecks in the same way you get Sylvaneth Wyldwoods (for free at the start of the game).

Didn't catch the second rule but one of them was a 6+ save on all wounds (after normal saves) if you're wholly within 6" of it!

15 minutes ago, J.J said:

Sounds like you get the shipwrecks in the same way you get Sylvaneth Wyldwoods (for free at the start of the game).

Didn't catch the second rule but one of them was a 6+ save on all wounds (after normal saves) if you're wholly within 6" of it!

If an nondeepkin unit is within 3 roll a die. On a 4+ they take a mortal wound. On a 6 they take d3 mortal wounds. 

The shipwreck also adds to the rituals.

Archived