Forge World - What would you like to see for AoS?

After reading the most recent MP story, I lust for a cogfort! But one that holds a 'scouting force' of 80 horsemen would be bigger (and more expensive) than a Warlord Titan, and if FW made it in resin the thing could weigh 100 pounds. I'm not sure the plastic battle boards could handle it.

Instead, GW should elaborate on the cogfort idea and create cog-bastions. They'd move faster and deploy between comforts to plug gaps in the line. Ideally those are Ork Gargant sized, with about 4 cannons (or smaller multi-barrel guns)  on a swiveling top platform for multiple shots a turn. A drawbridge is required for about a 30-man assault force (with greatswords?) and firing slits all over it. But I'd do it in plastic by GW, to make it more widely available. Talk about a centerpiece model.

A man can dream, can't he?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically?.. NOTHING!! (apologies for uppercase)

Enough of this FW brand!! Enough of those resin miniatures!! Enough of those over expensive shipment costs!!

I wish GW would completely drop FW and move corresponding products to its GW web store, hopefully all in plastic.

2 hours ago, Skarloc said:

Basically?.. NOTHING!! (apologies for uppercase)

Enough of this FW brand!! Enough of those resin miniatures!! Enough of those over 

I wish GW would completely drop FW and move corresponding products to its GW web store, hopefully all in plastic.

FW definitively has its use. The production of new resin kits is very different from producing new plastic kits. FW can design and produce new stuff way quicker than GW ever could. Additionally resin is more suitable for products with a lower estimated sales number, as plastic kits need more initial investment. 

Its not that GW uses resin to torment us but because it has its use. If they think certain kits are more suitable for plastic production they will be switched to main-line GW, just look at the different power armor sets and the new custodes.

I'd like to see, well pretty much anything, they said tge charcater series was going to be expanded, that was about two years ago, and somehow more Bloodbowl Charcters have been made than AoS , baffling.

I've played this game before, and Im still to see any of the things Ive ever mentioned, giant wyverns, bone constructs, k'daai destroyer, Hell Pit tunneling beast, Sigmar a la Primarch, mostly I want the feckin Chaos Mammoth and Dragon back, the rest would just be gravy.

I think for starters, I'd like Age Of Sigmar warscrolls for every single item they currently sell (Whether it's telling you to use an existing scroll, making an existing scroll+ or an entirely new warscroll).

There are certain awesome items in the range, like Elspeth von Drak on Carmine Dragon which really should have a warscroll (Amethyst Wizard on Carmine Dragon). I've also for sure liked a few of the comments saying Chaos Duardin battletome.

Why do we even still relate to them as Legion of Azgorh and Tamurkhan's Horde? These were two factions that questionably didn't even exist in the canon Old World. So why don't we have a proper fully fleshed battletome which explains the Chaos Duardin and how they fit into the Age of Sigmar?

I don't think Tamurkhan's Horde needs a battletome, just so much as make the characters generic (Maggotlord on Toad Dragon). Every single special character in the old world is gone now, replaced with a generic scroll of some sort. So Forgeworld really should follow suit.

As for new models. I'd definitely love to see more stuff like the Ironsides and Manaan's Blades. Conversion packs that change the aesthetics of a unit, perhaps with a special warscroll, perhaps not. Hell, make your own Stormhost and sell conversion packs for that.

I think the best place for them to work is either on completely new factions of their own devising, or on units/monsters that fit into existing factions. Age of Sigmar is extremely keyworded. And while the large monsters they create fit into the game now more than ever, if they're not super competitive on their own, they probably won't be used by majority of gamers as they won't be able to fit them into their allies.

15 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

New greater daemons for all chaos factions! The EGUO is now as big as the regular GUO. The other greater deamons don't look as good next to the plastic kits. New, super large ones would be great. 

apart from the blood thirster which is THE bloodthirster not the plastic prancing ballerina model with it's terrible face.  I'm looking forward to seeing the plastic keeper as it's going to have to go some to be as lovely as the FW model.

9 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

Also the Chaos Mammoth needs to comes back, the prices it gets on ebay are insane!!!

The mammoth was an absolutely jaw dropping kit in its day, but it's looking quite dated now that the main GW studio has evolved into producing bigger and more dynamic centerpiece models. It looks quite small and static now, and the aesthetic is obviously intended to match the Chaos Marauders, which I think we all hope will get an update soon. A re-release of the mammoth kit would obviously be welcomed by a lot of people, but it would be good to see a totally updated sculpt or even a more fantastical and Chaotic woolly beast that takes full advantage of the crazy new setting.

Personally I'd love to see them produce some conversion kits to AoSify some of the older ranges - stuff like twin tailed comet shields to make aelves and dispossessed look like they belong to Azyr for example. Also, some upgrades for slaves to darkness to make the generic knight and units fit with a specific God - things like mutations, heads, weapons and shields for Slaanesh.

Last but not least, I'd really love to see some generic free-guilders that were removed from the Empire aesthetic. They've done lines like death korps and elyssians before so it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility.

Personally I have no interest on Fimir or chaos dwarves and I don't like the look of the forgeworld stuff so far released for AoS.  

Also, gw prime can now use plastic to make pretty giant kits- so I don't need to see forgeworld making  big models.

For me, the coolest thing Forgeworld could do would be to do little releases of small models that add character to the range, just like how for Necromunda they've made a beastman and a bunch of really characterful hive scum.

I would like to see the same for aos- perhaps a few members of the order of Azyr, or a death cult wizard or a tribal shaman or characters from the novels.

Basically I'd like them to help world build from a small scale

2 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Personally I have no interest on Fimir or chaos dwarves and I don't like the look of the forgeworld stuff so far released for AoS.  

Also, gw prime can now use plastic to make pretty giant kits- so I don't need to see forgeworld making  big models.

For me, the coolest thing Forgeworld could do would be to do little releases of small models that add character to the range, just like how for Necromunda they've made a beastman and a bunch of really characterful hive scum.

I would like to see the same for aos- perhaps a few members of the order of Azyr, or a death cult wizard or a tribal shaman or characters from the novels.

Basically I'd like them to help world build from a small scale

I agree that there's less need for FW to produce big models now than there used to be. IMO they need to have a long hard think about what their purpose actually is with regard to supporting the main AoS line. Historically it was all about making the big expensive monsters that the GW studio couldn't or wouldn't produce, but times have moved on the years that they've been distracted by 30K and there's no longer any need for them to fulfill that role. Ditto dynamic and detailed character models, which used to be one of FW's strengths, but which the GW studio can now knock out in their sleep. Churning out random characters and monsters with no relationship to the lore won't fly either unless they can show that they have a very strong grasp of the new aesthetic and setting, which I'm just not seeing in their recent output - unless they can improve the quality and imagination of their sculpts by leaps and bounds I really don't have much interest in seeing them produce any more characters for the time being. The fact that they've been working on this Khornate dragon for 2 years and have rescuplted the rider 3 times speaks volumes to me. They're clearly stuck in old habits and are butting their heads against a brick wall.

That leaves big mechanical structures (Ironweld and Skaven constructs), vehicles (Kharadron airships), scenery and upgrade kits, all of which they still do very well and which are not particularly well supported by the GW studio. If they play to their strengths with those things then I think the future will be very bright indeed. They just need to lose this mentality that they're the big monster guys because it's not doing them any favours.

9 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

The fact that they've been working on this Khornate dragon for 2 years and have rescuplted the rider 3 times speaks volumes to me. They're clearly stuck in old habits and are butting their heads against a brick wall.

Having seen two renditions of the Lord they've done, both would have fitted into the current Khorne style without an issue.  In fact I'd be prepared to say that I'd happily replace any of my characters with what I saw

Just now, RuneBrush said:

Having seen two renditions of the Lord they've done, both would have fitted into the current Khorne style without an issue.  In fact I'd be prepared to say that I'd happily replace any of my characters with what I saw

That's fair enough. I haven't seen it, so perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to judge. But regardless of it's quality, the fact remains that they've resculpted it 3 times and the process has been very drawn out, which suggests that they're not happy with what they're producing even if you personally think their work is up to scratch. Just seems like it would make more sense for them to play to the strengths they've honed with their 30K range now that the new setting has more outrageous mechanical stuff in it, rather than dithering over things that they're presumably not as confident with (and which nobody is even clamoring for, it seems to me).

1 minute ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

That's fair enough. I haven't seen it, so perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to judge. But regardless of it's quality, the fact remains that they've resculpted it 3 times and the process has been very drawn out, which suggests that they're not happy with what they're producing even if you personally think their work is up to scratch. Just seems like it would make more sense for them to play to the strengths they've honed with their 30K range now that the new setting has more outrageous mechanical stuff in it, rather than dithering over things that they're presumably not as confident with (and which nobody is even clamoring for, it seems to me).

Can't disagree with that, I can't see them doing another massive monster like this in truth.  I think the Dragon must have been started before the first Generals Handbook, so it wouldn't have been unreasonable to expect people to drop one on the table in an open game.  Guess they've gone beyond the point of no return on it now.  The other models they were working on 18 months ago were much more reasonable.  I'm hoping that they do focus on the more regular size models like you say, the work they've done on the Heresy range, Bloodbowl and Necromunda has been stunning.

15 hours ago, Gecktron said:

FW definitively has its use. The production of new resin kits is very different from producing new plastic kits. FW can design and produce new stuff way quicker than GW ever could. Additionally resin is more suitable for products with a lower estimated sales number, as plastic kits need more initial investment. 

Its not that GW uses resin to torment us but because it has its use. If they think certain kits are more suitable for plastic production they will be switched to main-line GW, just look at the different power armor sets and the new custodes.

Agreed..

But why not under a single brand and under a single web store? Not to mention the fact that FW products are not available in GW stores..

Over the past months, I ordered a few FW products, in fact only Blood Bowl miniatures: the 2 referees, the Skaven expansion pack, the Dwarf hero, ..

But on those 3 occasions, the shipment cost to Belgium was almost half the price of the miniature.s. Whereas they could have been included in other orders I placed on the GW web store as shipped from the same location, i.e. GW's Lenton factory.

"One web store to buy them all, one web store to find them, one web store to purchase them all and in one shipment to send them all"

Archived