Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

32 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Things I would love to do with the new spell lores:

- Cast Fading Vigor on 30 liberators and cut their attacks in half. Combine with Dread to make them wet noodles. 

- Spectral Grasp a large piece of terrain in the middle of the board and create a big tar pit to annoy my opponent. I'd love to Locus this and cover the board.

- Win objectives after Prison of Grief blocks a unit from being able to walk a few inches onto an objective. Block a Skink unit from retreating. Hit a unit on the side then prevent them from making any pile-in move. 

- Double Decreprify to reduce the Ghal Maraz to  4+ to wound, 1 damage.

- Push a bunch of units aside using the Vortex then casting an 18" Soul Harvest to hit most of my opponents army.

- Stack Spirit Gale, Dread and Neferata to give a unit -3 to hit.

- Use Amethystine Pinions to make a first turn charge with Neferata into Archaon then roll a 6 to kill him outright with her dagger.

- Use Soul Pike on some Dracoth Calvary and then have one of them die in the charge. 

- Have Arkhan get a double turn then cast Amaranthine Orb on a 9. Draw an 18" line across most of my opponents army twice to cause a plethora of D6 mortals.  

+ Orb of Enchantment on an Incandescent Skarbrand

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Vile Transference (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb
Mannfred Mortarch Of Night (420)
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1870 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 115

100 pts left to balewind the vampire lord what you guys think?

I'm bringing this list to a tournament this weekend. It's far from ideal, with the large unit of blood knights and Neferata being left-overs from my pre-LoN debuff-list, but it'll be fun to explore the new book :D

Neferata Mortarch Of Blood (400)
- General
- Lore of the Deathmages : Soul Harvest
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Spectral Grasp
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
- Artefact : Orb of Enchantment
- Lore of the Vampires : Vile Transference
Units
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
10 x Zombies (60)
2 x Bat Swarms (80)
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
- Unholy Lodestone
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
10 x Blood Knights (520)
Reinforcement Points (100)
Total: 1960 / 2000
Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 120

2 hours ago, bolderiz101 said:

Leaders
- General
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Why bring Manny?

Just now, Malakithe said:

This is exactly the kind of tactics we need to crush meta armies!

Liberators are already wet noodles. With no way to snake Grandhammers into your lines anymore that list is gonna fall off the face of the planet.

2 hours ago, Grimnaud said:

I'm bringing this list to a tournament this weekend. It's far from ideal, with the large unit of blood knights and Neferata being left-overs from my pre-LoN debuff-list, but it'll be fun to explore the new book :D

Neferata Mortarch Of Blood (400)
- General
- Lore of the Deathmages : Soul Harvest
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Spectral Grasp
Vampire Lord (140)
- Flying Horror
- Artefact : Orb of Enchantment
- Lore of the Vampires : Vile Transference
Units
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
10 x Zombies (60)
2 x Bat Swarms (80)
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
- Unholy Lodestone
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
10 x Blood Knights (520)
Reinforcement Points (100)
Total: 1960 / 2000
Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 120

LoBlood im assuming? I think you could use more bodies

2 hours ago, bolderiz101 said:

Leaders
- General
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Lords of Sacrament (70)

change the skeletons to dire wolves and drop the vamp lord to a necro and take vhordrai instead of manny

19 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

change the skeletons to dire wolves and drop the vamp lord to a necro and take vhordrai instead of manny

Definitely a stronger and more tactically versatile list with the wolves and vhordrai, although I'd think about using a regular VLoZd and adding even more wolves.

Here is mine I am excited about:

Nagash  - Supreme Lord of the Undead(800)
- Overwhelming Dread
- Fading Vigour
- Decrepify

Battleline:

x2 Morghasts (220)

x40 Skeletons (280)

x30 Graveguards (420)

x5 Black Knights (120)

Battalions:

The First Cohort (160)

2000/2000

- One drop force with Nagash at the head of it :x

20 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Here is mine I am excited about:

Nagash  - Supreme Lord of the Undead(800)
- Overwhelming Dread
- Fading Vigour
- Decrepify

Battleline:

x2 Morghasts (220)

x40 Skeletons (280)

x30 Graveguards (400)

x5 Black Knights (120)

Battalions:

The First Cohort (160)

2000/2000

- One drop force with Nagash at the head of it :x

Death with a one drop lol wow

3 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Liberators are already wet noodles. With no way to snake Grandhammers into your lines anymore that list is gonna fall off the face of the planet.

What do you mean?  1 in every 5 gets a Grandhammer, so that is 6 of them in 30. Fading Vigor is going to drop that from 13 attacks to 7.

2 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

x30 Graveguards (400)

Love the idea but GG are 420 for 30

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

Thats a good price when you compare them to Tzaangors

I'm not too sure on that. For the extra 30 points, you get double the wounds. And the greatblades alone are throwing 48 attacks, with built in damage 2 (rather than needing to roll a 6). Plus the move 6 and being able to run and charge is pretty big.

I am still of the opinion that Grave Guard should be 60-70 points per 5 models.

16 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

I'm not too sure on that. For the extra 30 points, you get double the wounds. And the greatblades alone are throwing 48 attacks, with built in damage 2 (rather than needing to roll a 6). Plus the move 6 and being able to run and charge is pretty big.

I am still of the opinion that Grave Guard should be 60-70 points per 5 models.

Well its a different comparison. Sure they have 2 wounds but terrible saves and die in droves to battleshock whereas GG can be buffed by nearly everything in the book. But yeah the only reason I dont field GG is the price

8 hours ago, bolderiz101 said:

Leaders
- General
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Dont listen anyone, who say: drop vl...  they fear  30" mass d6 mortal wound.

But drop manny and take mourngul or 4 morghasts. Even now mourngul can be summoned at 18"(+6 for arkhan command ability) and charge.

If you take mann for a spell from vamplore, drop it for neferata. She can make instakill on 6+ rule. 

Ran my first game with legion of blood yesterday (facing against a death player with Grand host). 1500p, he ran new named vampire as general. 

Ran VLoZD, 5 blood knight, 10 doggos, 40 skellies, 2 vampire lords (flying and mounted, but with pinions), necromancer.

We called it at turn 3. My blood army hit like a ton of bricks essentially and got many a turn 1 charge off... Aristocracy of blood on my VLoZD was amazing, allowing me to get great charge distances. I also got a 9+ on pinions making my vampire lord on horseback so fast that my opponent totally got caught  by surprise, allowing me to fly 20" and catch his necromancer off guard, cutting him down before he was able to boost his big skellie blob with vanhel's.  So my infantry ended up prevailing as well and I removed his overwhelming dread threat quite early on.  A hidden gem that VL on mount because of that spell...

Also, a LoB VLoZD vs vhordrai is a super close matchup in terms of strenght. With +1 attacks on everything, the generic VL often won out in damage output AND aristocracy of blood is so too good for a fast hammerforce like Legion of blood. I'm not even all that convinced about the breath attack because of that 3+ to hit. The regular breath at -3 rend is so good for rend, that they are mortal wounds in all but name anyway against most opponents.  I would say that in LoB lists, the generic VLoZD has my preference. And even in other lists,  always find myself reverting to a VLoZD to  have a survivable hero for the command trait, so Vhordrai isn't doing it for me just yet, despite being a decent warscroll. 

The blood knights are also pretty damn beefy. 5 of them crashed into his 5 Dire wolves screen in turn 1 (again, long charge bomb due to aristocracy of blood), completely annihilating it and then crashed into his hex wraiths in the second turn, butchering all but 1... Getting 21 lance attacks on the charge and 15 horse bites can really ruin somebody's day and hexwraiths are a pretty lousy unit to slam into, because ethereal really prevented worse from happening. 

6 hours ago, Malakithe said:

LoBlood im assuming? I think you could use more bodies

I've favored more elite Death armies the last year, but with LoN that might have to change. For this tournament however I got the leaked rules a week before the lists were due, so a large block of skeletons was out of the question. I can do a recap of what the thinking behind the list was and how it worked out after the tournament.

9 minutes ago, Elmir said:

Ran my first game with legion of blood yesterday (facing against a death player with Grand host). 1500p, he ran new named vampire as general. 

Ran VLoZD, 5 blood knight, 10 doggos, 40 skellies, 2 vampire lords (flying and mounted, but with pinions), necromancer.

We called it at turn 3. My blood army hit like a ton of bricks essentially and got many a turn 1 charge off... Aristocracy of blood on my VLoZD was amazing, allowing me to get great charge distances. I also got a 9+ on pinions making my vampire lord on horseback so fast that my opponent totally got caught  by surprise, allowing me to fly 20" and catch his necromancer off guard, cutting him down before he was able to boost his big skellie blob with vanhel's.  So my infantry ended up prevailing as well and I removed his overwhelming dread threat quite early on.  A hidden gem that VL on mount because of that spell...

Also, a LoB VLoZD vs vhordrai is a super close matchup in terms of strenght. With +1 attacks on everything, the generic VL often won out in damage output AND aristocracy of blood is so too good for a fast hammerforce like Legion of blood. I'm not even all that convinced about the breath attack because of that 3+ to hit. The regular breath at -3 rend is so good for rend, that they are mortal wounds in all but name anyway against most opponents.  I would say that in LoB lists, the generic VLoZD has my preference. And even in other lists,  always find myself reverting to a VLoZD to  have a survivable hero for the command trait, so Vhordrai isn't doing it for me just yet, despite being a decent warscroll. 

The blood knights are also pretty damn beefy. 5 of them crashed into his 5 Dire wolves screen in turn 1 (again, long charge bomb due to aristocracy of blood), completely annihilating it and then crashed into his hex wraiths in the second turn, butchering all but 1... Getting 21 lance attacks on the charge and 15 horse bites can really ruin somebody's day and hexwraiths are a pretty lousy unit to slam into, because ethereal really prevented worse from happening. 

With the passive +1A and -1 to enemy bravery I'm convinced that the Legion of Blood is the hidden gem in LoN :D Glad to see others doing well with it.

Anyone had a try using some crypt flayers as allies yet? The easy bravery debuff can help them out fairly well and help us with some extra mortal wounds.  

On a similar note when does the bravery buff for having multiples of 10 in single units activate? Is it a permanent bonus or only in effect during the battleshock phase? 

Has anybody else spotted that the Grand Host battletrait "Legions Innumerable" works significantly differently to DI?  First off DI is "start of hero phase", but the biggest one is Legions Innumerable cannot resurrect models with more than 1 wound.  Great for Skeletons and Grave Guard, less so for Spirit Hosts and Black Knights.

image.png.cbc1fc2817b640838065f29acecdcc70.png

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Yeah the poor Mourngul. He is pretty much poop unless in a pure Nighthaunt list

Right now he's only legal in pure Nighthaunt, GA Death, or as a Soulblight ally. The summonability was the only way to backdoor him into one of the legion armies. Unless he gets FAQ'd into the legions, he's about 80% of the way to being Tomb King'd(the other 20% up in the air until we see where Nighthaunt as an allegiance lands in GHB2018).

Hey guys, I've noticed something in the magic lore section.

In each allegiance it says the following

'all wizards in the army know an additional spell from one of the lores of the dead'

however in the magic section it says

'for death lord wizards you may generate each of their additional spells from either lore'

does this mean deathlords get one spell from each lore?

im assuming it doesn't but I thought I'd ask what you guys think? 

Archived